The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

So I guess we might get some answers today? It'll be interesting to see if any of you "GM's" were close with your assessments.

We probably wont get the whole story til free agency though.

47 of Ladd's 49 points were at even strength. Yeah, he played with one of the NHL's best scorers in Havlat, but so did Ruutu with Staal and he only got 37 ES points while being close to three years older.

Furthermore, Ladd's center was Dave Bolland who isn't the greatest player in the world. Those two were productive together even when they were playing with Byfuglien prior to Havlat being moved to the line. At the end of the season Ladd was moved to the third line with Pahlsson and still produced. He didn't do much of anything in the playoffs, but neither did Ruutu (at least in the way of scoring).

Ladd went +26 while playing against the other team's top players every night. I know he was backed by Keith-Seabrook and played with Havlat most of the time in front of good goaltending, but that's still a great number.

I dont personally think had we kept ladd and Chicago kept Ruutu they would have been successful this season. Both needed a clean slate with a new coach in a new city.

Ladd is a really bad comparison. Ladd got so used to playing on the 3rd and 4th lines he started acting like thats all he had the talent to play on and you reinforce that laziness with how he floated through his last WHL year. He didn't have to play hard so he didn't, he didnt have to play hard on the 3rd line so he didn't.

Even if the kid did play hard at the time there was absolutely no room on the top 2 lines for him to do anything, it just happened that when we moved for Ruutu we made a movement to swap good offensive talent with good defensive talent which allowed movement in our ranks. Would Ladd have done anything? Who knows, apparently if you stick him next to one of the NHL's best scorers he gets points, but so would me and you assuming we can both ice skate. You know full well thats not our situation here, we have one goal scorer and 4-5 guys that we kinda pray each year that one or two will break 60 points.

I also never said ship Eaves out but I am saying Eaves is not the answer, if you want Eaves to be an answer please find a backup plan if he fails. There is a difference in a guy whose got a wonderful wrister and a guy who can skate with the puck and the guy who knows how to set himself up. If you cant get to the net or put yourself in a scoring position your not going to score no matter how amazing a shot you have.

Don't forget Eaves played majority of his time on the 4th and sometimes the 3rd. He may have gotten a few minutes on one of the top 2 lines, but never enough to allow him to establish something. IF Eaves is told to start camp that he is playing either 2nd or 3rd line and you keep him there for more than 5 shifts, he will get to that comfort level and his potential is going to come out. Last year I thought we were wasting him on the 4th because he's just not a 4th line player, he is better than that.

I honestly think if we lose LaRose, and you slot Eaves to take his spot, he will score 20-25 goals. And if I'm continue with my honesty, Eaves also has a better defensive game than LaRose. Sure Larose brings the energy/hustle and he's a good personality, but Eaves does have the better skill set. Its if we can get that skill set off the 4th line and for more than 5-10 shifts a game. If we were willing to keep Samsonov in a top 6 role when he was slumping, you need to do the same with Eaves.

Now that we are having difficulties signing our own UFAs who were our priorities (http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=431678), where does JR turn for help? He's apparently indicated he would go for a trade rather than trying to sign a UFA from another team, because the UFA route is likely more expensive.

But are there any UFAs out there that you all believe could help us in the under $2m range (replacing LaRose) or in the $3m range (replacing Cole)?

I still say if we go into the season with Cole on the first line it will almost certainly be a failed offseason. I fully agree that a playmaking wing who can score some as well (al la the old Stillman) is what we need. Cole must be signed as a second or even third line player who gets another couple of years to prove those of us wrong, who think that Cole has lost something for real post injury. If he does, the first line can be reclaimed. If we don't sign Cole at all, fine, use that money to bring in other JR types, decent players who are coming off bad years in bad situations.

LaRose is a big part of this team. Eaves is not. Then again, Eaves is not really the issue as he is not an unrestricted free agent. If it comes down to Cole vs. LaRose, I like LaRose. Hard to believe it comes down to that, but Cole's staggering drop in productivity coupled with his utter inability to put up actual points in the playoffs past and present, make him a significantly below average 1st liner and I can't help but think that is where his main value is seen, on the top line. But match his numbers vs. the average 1st line winger...he can only stay if he is 2nd or even 3rd line, but then the whole Cole helps Staal thing is useless to us and it just isn't that big of a deal either way.

I would overpay a smidge for LaRose, only take Cole if we are getting a significant home town discount.

Wow, I haven't been on this site in ages, but it is draft day.......and that means playing GM. :)

So, I'd like JR to dump a guy like matt cullen (2.875 M) and not re-sign ufa cole (4.0 M last year).....then use that money to help offset making a run for the sedin twins....

giving two top lines of samsonov, sedin and sedin.....and whitney, staal, boychuk/brind'amour...

That would be amazing....especially since our D is adequate and Ward is amazing....

Wow, I haven't been on this site in ages, but it is draft day.......and that means playing GM. :)

So, I'd like JR to dump a guy like matt cullen (2.875 M) and not re-sign ufa cole (4.0 M last year).....then use that money to help offset making a run for the sedin twins....

giving two top lines of samsonov, sedin and sedin.....and whitney, staal, boychuk/brind'amour...

That would be amazing....especially since our D is adequate and Ward is amazing....

not gonna happen!! Sedins will want too much money, JR would only look at that option if they would take $2mil each a year!! The only thing amazing is suggesting that, our D isn't adequate and Ward can be inconsistent. Sorry to rain on your parade.

not gonna happen!! Sedins will want too much money, JR would only look at that option if they would take $2mil each a year!! The only thing amazing is suggesting that, our D isn't adequate and Ward can be inconsistent. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Nah, sedins only want 63ish over 12 years which only averages out to the mid 5's M.

What is wrong with the D? Pitkanen, Gleason and company played pretty ok in the playoffs. I'd get rid of Kaberle if he isn't already off the books.

And how can any fan not be happy with Ward? Inconsistent? Maybe, kinda, a little, but who isn't. He's a top flight #1 NHL goalie and there aren't many others above him.

Nah, sedins only want 63ish over 12 years which only averages out to the mid 5's M.

What is wrong with the D? Pitkanen, Gleason and company played pretty ok in the playoffs. I'd get rid of Kaberle if he isn't already off the books.

And how can any fan not be happy with Ward? Inconsistent? Maybe, kinda, a little, but who isn't. He's a top flight #1 NHL goalie and there aren't many others above him.

Don't worry about Caniac97...she questions everything and is always negative.

But the Sedin twins are a little out of reach...JR just doesn't go for the stars.

Yes, it averages out to mid-5 million, per Sedin, meaning we'd need to open about 10 million to grab both of them.

I am curious as to why some believe Eaves's defensive game is better than LaRose's. There's nothing to back that up.

OK with LaRose & Cole being difficult to sign. The burg pretty much gone. Who would you want to get in a trade for our 1st round pick(27th)?

I would have said Lupul, but he make 4.25M per year. Not going to happen. :(

Do you think JR might hold'em and see if a couple of rookies can make the roster?

Eaves is not the answer. So who is the answer?

OK with LaRose & Cole being difficult to sign. The burg pretty much gone. Who would you want to get in a trade for our 1st round pick(27th)?

I would have said Lupul, but he make 4.25M per year. Not going to happen. :(

Do you think JR might hold'em and see if a couple of rookies can make the roster?

Eaves is not the answer. So who is the answer?

I hope we don't trade our 1st round pick. Our minor league system is pretty thin on prospects, other than boychuk and sutter. I'd love to see sutter and boychuk seeing regular top 9 forward ice time this year with boychuk also seeing regular powerplay time too.

As for Eaves, there is nothing wrong with him. He's steady at what he does as long as you realize he's somewhere between an average 3rd liner and very good 4th liner. Every team needs their share of those kinda guys.

Ward WILL BE a top flight #1 goalie but he isn't there yet. You only list 2 dmen and it takes more than that to play the game. We tried getting rid of Kabs but that didn't work, who would you suggest we pair him with to get rid of him, Staal? Stating that Ward is inconsistent is not stating that I am not happy with him just that at his young age he is inconsistent.

Don't worry about Caniac97...she questions everything and is always negative.

But the Sedin twins are a little out of reach...JR just doesn't go for the stars.

I am not a SHE!! You need to know who you are talking about before making comments like that!! also I am allowed an opinion the last time I looked and I don't see anything on this board that would indicate that I must clear my post with you prior to posting!!

Okay, with Cole, LaRose and Seids all potentially moving on, JR's got some work to do.

This is what I think we have left.

Whitney (legit 1st liner) - Staal (legit 1st liner) - Ruutu (arguably a solid 2 who we'll have to push to 1st line) - This is likely how we start the year unless JR makes a move for a major 1st line player, which I think can only happen if the guy is a 2nd liner elsewhere but is being "held back" because of a stronger 1st line in front of him (i.e., would we give that player a chance to be a 1st liner here where he couldn't have been on his previous team). I think Whitney could be dangled along with the #27 pick to go a little more drastic here, for a team that needs some solid Stanley Cup (Chicago? Vancouver? Boston?) experience and a point/game player who is getting a little older. I will also point out that if we don't sign LaRose (projected maybe $1.7m) and we don't sign Cole (projected maybe $3m) that JR could potentially have $4m+ to spend on one guy who can make an immediate impact. I think he'd have to either do it here on the 1st line. If you could move Ruutu back to a 2nd line guy, that would help what comes next...

This is where things get interesting, because I think the next set of guys are all borderline 2nd / 3rd line guys (at this stage of their career). What that means is that we'll need one of these two groups to step up and be a solid 2nd line if we're going to compete next year, or we're going to need to make some changes. Before, I would have said that a LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu 2nd line would have some pop. But with Cole gone in this scenario, Ruutu moves to the 1st line. With LaRose gone as well, we need 2 wingers to flank Cullen. To me, this means that the Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves line may become the 2nd line, though I think it will split time almost equally with the third line. I think Sammy plays best with Rod, so I wouldn't split them up. But I could see Eaves move to a Cullen line with one of the rookies. I could also see Jokinen moving up.

So the proposals for the 2nd and 3rd lines, which are to me interchangeable in terms of how many minutes they'd get:

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves

Jokinen - Cullen - Boychuck

The 4th line is our banger line with Conboy - Sutter - Walker.

It's not, to me, an elegant line up. So much depends on Rod coming back strong from an off year -- which is tough to do at his age. We need a 2nd line that can generate a goal/game average, and I'm not certain that either of those lines could do it. A LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu line I think could have managed 75 goals. I don't think we'd get that kind of productivity out of either of the lines above unless 1, Rod comes back strong, which 2, helps Sammy bounce back from a mediocre year and 3, Eaves has a 20+ goal breakout season. But that's a lot to ask for.

On D, I think we've got what we're going to have. Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, Babchuk, Wallin, Kaberle (last year of his contract!!!) and name your rookie.

Ward will be here for a while. Yes, he's inconsistent, but he's very young and continues to get excellent experience under his belt. He's not Martin Brodeur, but at the same age Martin was only marginally better than what Cam is today (if you look at the stats).

Okay, with Cole, LaRose and Seids all potentially moving on, JR's got some work to do.

This is what I think we have left.

Whitney (legit 1st liner) - Staal (legit 1st liner) - Ruutu (arguably a solid 2 who we'll have to push to 1st line) - This is likely how we start the year unless JR makes a move for a major 1st line player, which I think can only happen if the guy is a 2nd liner elsewhere but is being "held back" because of a stronger 1st line in front of him (i.e., would we give that player a chance to be a 1st liner here where he couldn't have been on his previous team). I think Whitney could be dangled along with the #27 pick to go a little more drastic here, for a team that needs some solid Stanley Cup (Chicago? Vancouver? Boston?) experience and a point/game player who is getting a little older. I will also point out that if we don't sign LaRose (projected maybe $1.7m) and we don't sign Cole (projected maybe $3m) that JR could potentially have $4m+ to spend on one guy who can make an immediate impact. I think he'd have to either do it here on the 1st line. If you could move Ruutu back to a 2nd line guy, that would help what comes next...

This is where things get interesting, because I think the next set of guys are all borderline 2nd / 3rd line guys (at this stage of their career). What that means is that we'll need one of these two groups to step up and be a solid 2nd line if we're going to compete next year, or we're going to need to make some changes. Before, I would have said that a LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu 2nd line would have some pop. But with Cole gone in this scenario, Ruutu moves to the 1st line. With LaRose gone as well, we need 2 wingers to flank Cullen. To me, this means that the Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves line may become the 2nd line, though I think it will split time almost equally with the third line. I think Sammy plays best with Rod, so I wouldn't split them up. But I could see Eaves move to a Cullen line with one of the rookies. I could also see Jokinen moving up.

So the proposals for the 2nd and 3rd lines, which are to me interchangeable in terms of how many minutes they'd get:

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves

Jokinen - Cullen - Boychuck

The 4th line is our banger line with Conboy - Sutter - Walker.

It's not, to me, an elegant line up. So much depends on Rod coming back strong from an off year -- which is tough to do at his age. We need a 2nd line that can generate a goal/game average, and I'm not certain that either of those lines could do it. A LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu line I think could have managed 75 goals. I don't think we'd get that kind of productivity out of either of the lines above unless 1, Rod comes back strong, which 2, helps Sammy bounce back from a mediocre year and 3, Eaves has a 20+ goal breakout season. But that's a lot to ask for.

On D, I think we've got what we're going to have. Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, Babchuk, Wallin, Kaberle (last year of his contract!!!) and name your rookie.

Ward will be here for a while. Yes, he's inconsistent, but he's very young and continues to get excellent experience under his belt. He's not Martin Brodeur, but at the same age Martin was only marginally better than what Cam is today (if you look at the stats).

Not worth bringing Sutter in if all you are going to give him is 4th line minutes, that is why we sent him to Albany in the first place. He needs to play lots of minutes.

Not worth bringing Sutter in if all you are going to give him is 4th line minutes, that is why we sent him to Albany in the first place. He needs to play lots of minutes.

Well, I'll do the "I agree but" thing here. I agree but if Jokinen moves to wing on the 2/3 line, then we need a center for 4. That's likely Sutter by default. I don't see him breaking into the 2nd or 3rd line unless Rod simply can't come back strong and is relegated to a 4th line center. The other option is that Jokinen holds the 4th line center spot (also wasted on him, I think) and Sutter goes back to AHL. That opens another winger spot in the top 9, but if we've already got one rook on the team, so I don't think we'd go with a second. Which means JR needs to spend a little green for another wing.

Well, I'll do the "I agree but" thing here. I agree but if Jokinen moves to wing on the 2/3 line, then we need a center for 4. That's likely Sutter by default. I don't see him breaking into the 2nd or 3rd line unless Rod simply can't come back strong and is relegated to a 4th line center. The other option is that Jokinen holds the 4th line center spot (also wasted on him, I think) and Sutter goes back to AHL. That opens another winger spot in the top 9, but if we've already got one rook on the team, so I don't think we'd go with a second. Which means JR needs to spend a little green for another wing.

I don't see Sutter playing here unless we can get him on the third line, he will develop better in the AHL where he can get the minutes. Having said that it leaves us looking at either Brindy or someone else to center the 4th line.

I am not a SHE!! You need to know who you are talking about before making comments like that!! also I am allowed an opinion the last time I looked and I don't see anything on this board that would indicate that I must clear my post with you prior to posting!!

1) Settle down sweetheart. You complain enough to BE a woman, so excuse me for thinking that YOU are one.

2) Ward IS a top flight goaltender; the inconsistencies are really no longer a problem. So STOP saying they are.

Yes, it averages out to mid-5 million, per Sedin, meaning we'd need to open about 10 million to grab both of them.

I am curious as to why some believe Eaves's defensive game is better than LaRose's. There's nothing to back that up.

There is is you look at the goals against numbers. They were +7 and +6, respectively, but Eaves only had 13 ES/SH points compared to LaRose's 30.

At 5-on-5 (ES):

Chad LaRose: 41 goals for/40 goals against, 2.26 goals against/60

Patrick Eaves: 22 goals for/16 goals against, 1.39 goals against/60

At 4-on-5 (PK):

Chad LaRose: 4 goals for/14 goals against, 6.21 goals against/60

Patrick Eaves: 1 goal for/12 goals against, 7.12 goals against/60

So Eaves managed a much lower goals-against rate at 5-on-5 and a marginally higher goals against rate on the PK.

LaRose usually played against better players at 5-on-5, but that doesn't explain having nearly one more goals against per 60 minutes than Eaves. In fact, http://www.behindthenet.ca/2008/basic_5_on_5.php?sort=6&mingp=&mintoi=&team=CAR&pos=' target="_blank">BehindTheNet.ca[/post] (link takes you the Canes' 5-on-5 page) has developed an adjusted +/- stat where it compares the player's +/- against the average on/off-ice +/- of everybody he plays against. Eaves was +.54, behind only Babchuk, Staal, Cullen, and Pitkanen. LaRose's was +.24 behind those guys, Eaves, Bayda, and Ruutu. Both were good in that department but Eaves was noticeably better.

LaRose's defensive game is overrated because of the shorthanded chances he generates. He was actually taken off the PK for long stretches of the season under both coaches, and wasn't put there for good until he and Cullen started scoring shorthanded goals. In the regular season he was behind Sutter, Jokinen, Bayda, Brind'amour, Eaves, Cullen and Staal in average PK time. A "premier penalty killer" (as I've seen him described) should be getting more than 1:25/game on the PK.

1) Settle down sweetheart. You complain enough to BE a woman, so excuse me for thinking that YOU are one.

2) Ward IS a top flight goaltender; the inconsistencies are really no longer a problem. So STOP saying they are.

well it is like this girlfriend, I don't complain anymore than 2/3's of the folks on this forum. you should never prejudge anyone you don't know, PERIOD. If you have issues with me then you know where I sit in the RBC Center and more than a few folks on here know where I live. So take it offline junior.

Ward has a little ways to go to be considered a Top Flight goaltender!! He is well on his way though and the inconsistencies will subside after all he is young. I have no issues with Ward, most of his mistakes/inconsistencies are due to age and he will grow out of them.

Eaves was given more PK time because there was nowhere else to stick him. He's a good defensive player, but you try to spread the bench out as much as possible. It's why players that are typically on the 4th line, like Eaves and Bayda, were given PK time, so you can give your other players that play a lot of even-strength and/or PP minutes a short rest.

Goals for/against while on the ice isn't a good indicator, mostly because you have linemates out there as well, and thus, have a factor that's completely out of your control. If a situation arises, like one Corvo pulled against the Devils, where it's an unforced turnover that leads to an immediate goal, the players on the ice would be credited for a goal against, but it would be no fault of their own, with the exception of the player that turned it over.

That's why I believe the Giveaway/Takeaway ratio and the penalties taken stats are a much more telling sign of someone's defensive game. The ability to steal the puck without taking a penalty, and the ability to reduce the amount of turnovers you perform is the sign of a great defensive player.

You look at the stats for Eaves and LaRose, and the stats are obvious:

Eaves     LaRose
GP -               74      81
Minutes -          832     1226
Giveaways -        16      19
GvA/60 -           1.15   .93
Takeaways -        27      46
TkA/60 -           1.94    2.25
PIM -              31      35
QOC -            -.03    +.02

While playing more minutes, facing harder competition, LaRose gave the puck away less, stole the puck more, and only took 2 more minors than Eaves in those additional 7 games.

Eaves was given more PK time because there was nowhere else to stick him. He's a good defensive player, but you try to spread the bench out as much as possible. It's why players that are typically on the 4th line, like Eaves and Bayda, were given PK time, so you can give your other players that play a lot of even-strength and/or PP minutes a short rest.

Goals for/against while on the ice isn't a good indicator, mostly because you have linemates out there as well, and thus, have a factor that's completely out of your control. If a situation arises, like one Corvo pulled against the Devils, where it's an unforced turnover that leads to an immediate goal, the players on the ice would be credited for a goal against, but it would be no fault of their own, with the exception of the player that turned it over.

That's why I believe the Giveaway/Takeaway ratio and the penalties taken stats are a much more telling sign of someone's defensive game. The ability to steal the puck without taking a penalty, and the ability to reduce the amount of turnovers you perform is the sign of a great defensive player.

Eaves     LaRose

While playing more minutes, facing harder competition, LaRose gave the puck away less, stole the puck more, and only took 2 more minors than Eaves in those additional 7 games.

I'm sorry, but why are people bothering to compare Eaves and LaRose? Both guys are ok borderline good, but neither is very good/great. Both guys are useful. The only question is price. Just neither over pay for either guy nor set unrealistic top 7 forward expectations on either guy.

I'm begining to like the idea more and more of letting Cole go if we could sign Gionta. We do lose some size which would need to be addressed, but if Cole and LaRose both are going to be tough to sign, Gionta would make a nice addition to stick beside Staal.

Also, this just in....

09-10 salary cap

Eaves     LaRose

Giveaways/takeaways, much like hits, are subjective stats that I don't trust. You know for sure when someone is out for a goal against. Things like the Corvo play on the Gionta goal are going to even themselves out over an 82 game season.

The BehindTheNet adjusted +/- ranking takes into account linemates and opposition and Eaves still faired better than LaRose in that category. You'll notice that while LaRose's QUALCOMP rating was higher, his QUALTEAM was also a lot higher as well (-.03 to Eaves -.22).

As for penalties, I don't think minors is necessarily an indication of defensive play. They could come from being over-aggressive, from getting roughing minors, and so forth. Ruutu was by far the worst offender among our forwards in minor penalties, but you'll notice from the BehindTheNet stats that he faced top opposition and faired well. Guys like Getzlaf, Burrows, Moreau, Moore, etc are among the league leaders in minor penalties and I don't think anyone would call them bad defensive players.