Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Here is what we should do:

Resign Cole/Bayda (FA)

Don't Resign Larose/Siedenberg (FA)

Trade for Mayers from Toronto (Walker)

Trade for Bourque from Calgary (Corvo)

Sign Beauchemin from Anaheim (FA)

Resign Ruutu/Babchuk (RFA)

Done, the team is bigger and faster without spending a boatload of money.

Eaves was given more PK time because there was nowhere else to stick him. He's a good defensive player, but you try to spread the bench out as much as possible. It's why players that are typically on the 4th line, like Eaves and Bayda, were given PK time, so you can give your other players that play a lot of even-strength and/or PP minutes a short rest.

Having guys capable of killing penalties on the 3rd and 4th lines helps to ensure you will have fresh legs in shorthanded situations. But not all 4th liners kill penalties. LaRose plays a more agressive game than Eaves on both sides of the puck. He likes to sweep and poke check which is where he generates a lot of takeaways. Eaves, on the other hand, uses his body and stick positioning - which he is good at - to keep the puck in front of him. He has good defensive isntincts and knows how the lay the body legally, but overall plays a somewhat passive game which is probably boring for most people to watch.

Statistical analysis in hockey is very difficult due to the game's dynamics - things that are as minute and immeasurable as a player's positioning relative to other players and the puck can affect the decisions a player makes and the situations that arise during play. I think you have to have a comprehensive view of available data (goals for/against, giveaways/takeaways, etc.) plus observations of a player in various situations in order to get a somewhat reliable evaluation of that player.

For all you GMs:

MONTREAL -- The NHL's salary cap for next season will be $56.8 million, the league announced on Friday.

The figure is a mere $100,000 increase from the cap total of last season.

Numbers crunchers from the NHL and the NHL Players' Association finalized the figure for the next season Thursday in New York.

The lower limit for next season is set at $40.8 million.

The cap has risen for a fifth consecutive season since its implementation in 2005.

The way I see it, if it was only about stats, the draft currently underway would have been set in stone before it even started. We all know that JR's secret formula is something like this:

potential+past performance+connections to Canes organization/coaches+COST add to that some of Coke's secret recipe and some herbs and spices from KFC.

Bottom line is this, we all have favorite players be it Cole, LaRose or Eaves and we want our favorites to stay. If they ask for too much money they won't be playing for the home team at the RBC Center. None of us has a clue what JR is thinking or planning to do. Let's all relax, take a deep breath and see what magic JR pulls off. Somebody flag this thread and lets return to it in about 10 years. The LaRose/Eaves controversy should be settled by then.

Looks like we will see Pronger a bit more this year.

Fredrik Sjostrom was not qualified by the Rangers. I'd like to see us sign him for ~$1M. He doesn't bring the "grit" we're looking for, but we could really use some PKing forwards on the lower lines with LaRose and maybe Bayda gone. Right now it looks like some of the top offensive players on the team like Staal and Cullen will be spending a lot of time killing penalties instead.

For those who felt we should have taken a chance at Heatley, check out the asking prices Murray was throwing out there:

From Los Angeles

RW Dustin Brown and D Jack Johnson, along with the Kings

Found this article on another board Link and it tells a few things, but most importantly it says that the Flyers may be willing to trade Simon Gagne. He is under contract for 5.25 mil for 2 more years which is a pretty good deal I think. He can easily be a solid 20 goal scorer, but he has potential to even go for 40+ Goals. He could be a great 1st line winger for Staal, what do you think it would take to get him?

I'm thinking 1st in 2010, Samsonov, and Borer. That would work in my opinion because they may be interested on getting a 1st round pick back, Samsonov can still score some but at a much cheaper price, and Borer is still a decent prospect but all of us seem to put guys like Carson and McBain ahead of him so it wouldn't be too bad to lose him. And yeah this is probably an underpayment, but I'm thinking PHI is just trying to dump some salary if this is true so they would accept these players more because they are cheap but not terrible.

He has a pretty serious history of bad concussions. He's a great player but a high risk.

I was just looking at some J. Will highlights and...suffice to say I still miss him. Not only that but is Cole really the better long term option? Justin was always the better, more well-rounded player.

Oye...JR did what he had to do though, I guess.

I've always thought Cole and Williams were potential year in, year out 30 goal guys, Cole has proven he may never get there again after the last 3 seasons, but my big problem with JR had he hung onto Williams is that Williams has had a detailed history of severe leg/knee injuries that have kept him out for enormous chunks of the season. I would love to get the 30 goal, penalty killing, power play Williams back again, but since we don't know if he'll ever regain that then I would much rather JR go a bit more low risk with Cole at a cheaper contract in the short term, or use that money to go after a winger that can take some pressure off of Staal.

Heatley is likely out of our range, and Gagne has a ton of risk as well, but I put full faith in JR that in the next 2 years he'll find someone to pair with Staal to give us a top line that makes Washington and Pittsburgh so good. Even if he doesn't find that this offseason though we have a well rounded enough team to make some noise and potentially take the division.

That, I've got to disagree with. Cole may not have been the greatest winger out there, but if we lose Cole and LaRose to free agency and don't replace them with anyone but callups from the AHL, we're going to have trouble next season. JR said he'd try and replace them in trades, which worries me, because at the moment, the only trading pieces we have would involve giving up picks or prospects, and we really don't need to set our weak prospect pool back another 3-5 years.

That, I've got to disagree with. Cole may not have been the greatest winger out there, but if we lose Cole and LaRose to free agency and don't replace them with anyone but callups from the AHL, we're going to have trouble next season. JR said he'd try and replace them in trades, which worries me, because at the moment, the only trading pieces we have would involve giving up picks or prospects, and we really don't need to set our weak prospect pool back another 3-5 years.

I think J.R. may have been mentioning trades as part of his bargaining leverage. If you are trying to convince your guys to resign here for less because times are bad you don't say you are going to go out into the free agent market to replace them. That's like saying you have money for other players but not them.

Don't hit the panic button just yet. We've got a couple of days before free agency hits.

I think J.R. may have been mentioning trades as part of his bargaining leverage. If you are trying to convince your guys to resign here for less because times are bad you don't say you are going to go out into the free agent market to replace them. That's like saying you have money for other players but not them.

Don't hit the panic button just yet. We've got a couple of days before free agency hits.

Also, JR's comments about not returning to negotiate with them until August also assumes that they won't be signed by then and will sign for potentially less. Time will tell, this is gonna be a wild couple of days. What time does the frenzy start?? noon?

You know... I wasn't excited to hear Cole would probably be coming back.... but I'm not excited that JR is going to let him test free-agency, (I know that's not set in stone, but it certainly appears that way) and if he signs somewhere else, NOT look to replace him, until the frenzy of free agency dies down. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off that JR traded Williams for Cole, now is probably going to let Cole test the market, risking losing him for nothing, and he isn't going to get a replacement signed quickly saying....

"we're going to back off the early part of July, because I think teams pay a premium [for those free agents] during the early part."

GREAT... so JR can pick through the players other teams didn't want...

The only way I could NOT be upset at this turn of events, is if I find out Cole and Rosie were asking for big big dollars, far above their market value. With Cole, I could half expect that... Cole has ALWAYS been hard to re-sign.

JR low balled Rosie last season, and it worked, I don't think he'll get away with it twice. He likely traded Justin Williams for absolutely nothing.

What a plan JR.... let two of your top 6 forwards walk... and let 2 of your top 6 D-men walk.... this doesn't seem like a plan the GM of an ECF team would have....

Also, JR's comments about not returning to negotiate with them until August also assumes that they won't be signed by then and will sign for potentially less. Time will tell, this is gonna be a wild couple of days. What time does the frenzy start?? noon?

Yeah, noon on wednesday.

I don't know about LaRose, but there were supposed to be negotiations between JR and Cole's agent this past weekend. I don't know if anything came from that though, I guess we'll see soon. If we can only sign one before July 1st, I really hope it's LaRose. If Cole decides to test the market I think he'll be in for a surprise.

According to TPF, the Sharks have been shoppping Ryan Clowe (RFA with 22 goals last season at 1.6 mil) and Cheechoo (2 years left at 3 mil per). Havent seen these guys play too much but Clowe seems like a guy we could go after. Big, physical when need be, and can score... just an option. If we have to make a trade, I think these guys could be options.

You know... I wasn't excited to hear Cole would probably be coming back.... but I'm not excited that JR is going to let him test free-agency, (I know that's not set in stone, but it certainly appears that way) and if he signs somewhere else, NOT look to replace him, until the frenzy of free agency dies down. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off that JR traded Williams for Cole, now is probably going to let Cole test the market, risking losing him for nothing, and he isn't going to get a replacement signed quickly saying....

"we're going to back off the early part of July, because I think teams pay a premium [for those free agents] during the early part."

GREAT... so JR can pick through the players other teams didn't want...

The only way I could NOT be upset at this turn of events, is if I find out Cole and Rosie were asking for big big dollars, far above their market value. With Cole, I could half expect that... Cole has ALWAYS been hard to re-sign.

JR low balled Rosie last season, and it worked, I don't think he'll get away with it twice. He likely traded Justin Williams for absolutely nothing.

What a plan JR.... let two of your top 6 forwards walk... and let 2 of your top 6 D-men walk.... this doesn't seem like a plan the GM of an ECF team would have....

If Cole left, I still wouldn't say he traded Williams for nothing. Without Cole, I'm not sure we make the playoffs or make the run to the ECF's. That has to be worth something. Also J.R. dumped 3.5 million in salary on a good player that couldn't stay off the trainer's table. That mental image we have of Williams scoring the goal to clinch the SCF's is the last time we saw him play any significant time. I thought dumping Williams contract was the best part of the deal. That same money can now be used on a guy like Ruutu who has been a workhorse for us.

The idea that letting those guys walk would be losing 2 of the top six forwards may be a stretch too. Is LaRose or Cole a legitimate top 6 guy now? I'm not so sure. As far as the D goes, I'd bet on Babs being back. Seids has played his way into a bigger contract than we have a slot for now.

The lineup needs to be tweaked. The Canes have some weaknesses (top quality winger, shut down D, size, and meanness) that just resigning all the current guys will not fix. It's a different sport, but look how the Patriots have maintained their competitive play. They have tweaked the team every year.

If Cole left, I still wouldn't say he traded Williams for nothing. Without Cole, I'm not sure we make the playoffs or make the run to the ECF's. That has to be worth something. Also J.R. dumped 3.5 million in salary on a good player that couldn't stay off the trainer's table. That mental image we have of Williams scoring the goal to clinch the SCF's is the last time we saw him play any significant time. I thought dumping Williams contract was the best part of the deal. That same money can now be used on a guy like Ruutu who has been a workhorse for us.

The idea that letting those guys walk would be losing 2 of the top six forwards may be a stretch too. Is LaRose or Cole a legitimate top 6 guy now? I'm not so sure. As far as the D goes, I'd bet on Babs being back. Seids has played his way into a bigger contract than we have a slot for now.

The lineup needs to be tweaked. The Canes have some weaknesses (top quality winger, shut down D, size, and meanness) that just resigning all the current guys will not fix. It's a different sport, but look how the Patriots have maintained their competitive play. They have tweaked the team every year.

I agree, calling LaRose and/or Cole currently a top six is like calling Babs a top pairing.

Uhhhh....when the season ended, and the playoffs ended...BOTH Erik Cole and Chad LaRose were in the top 6... so YES, that's losing 2 top 6 forwards. And Erik Cole was responsible for almost nothing during the playoff run... he is not, nor will be THAT valuable.... Cole needs Staal, NOT the other way around. JR dumped no salary by trading Williams last season. Only if Cole signs for less than $3.5mill or not at all... will the 3.5 be "dumped". In 80% of knee injuries in Pro sports... once you have major surgery on one leg, within a year you have major surgery on the other because of the change in weight distribution.

Someone brought up Simon Gagne... I think Gagne is a great player, but has concussion problems and Philly would want a good return. If you want to gamble on a highly skilled, injury riddled player, you could sign Gaborik without giving anything up.

Also, if Cheechoo is really available, that would be a great trade if JR could pull it off... Cheechoo's worth the 3 mill a season.

EDIT: It's funny that in the same post, you say without Cole you're not sure if the team makes the playoffs or the run to the ECF, AND that he isn't a top 6 forward.... that's an awful lot of credit to a player who isn't a top 6 forward.

Uhhhh....when the season ended, and the playoffs ended...BOTH Erik Cole and Chad LaRose were in the top 6... so YES, that's losing 2 top 6 forwards. And Erik Cole was responsible for almost nothing during the playoff run... he is not, nor will be THAT valuable.... Cole needs Staal, NOT the other way around. JR dumped no salary by trading Williams last season. Only if Cole signs for less than $3.5mill or not at all... will the 3.5 be "dumped". In 80% of knee injuries in Pro sports... once you have major surgery on one leg, within a year you have major surgery on the other because of the change in weight distribution.

Uhhhh....they were playing top six when the season ended, but I don't think that makes them legitimate top 6 forwards if you are looking realistically at next season. I also don't see how you can call Cole a top 6 and then say what you do about him doing nothing in the playoffs and him needing Staal. You are making my point. LaRose is a nice player, but not really a 1st or 2nd liner.

I do give credit to Cole helping the team get over the hump at the end of the season and he may be a good 2nd line player, but he isn't a guy that needs to be overpaid just to keep him here.

Someone brought up Simon Gagne... I think Gagne is a great player, but has concussion problems and Philly would want a good return. If you want to gamble on a highly skilled, injury riddled player, you could sign Gaborik without giving anything up.

Also, if Cheechoo is really available, that would be a great trade if JR could pull it off... Cheechoo's worth the 3 mill a season.

EDIT: It's funny that in the same post, you say without Cole you're not sure if the team makes the playoffs or the run to the ECF, AND that he isn't a top 6 forward.... that's an awful lot of credit to a player who isn't a top 6 forward.

for whatever it is worth, bringing Cole back IMO was the right thing to do for last season. I am not confident we would make the playoffs without him. Much like the Recchi/Weight trades of '06 was a mental boost for the team, JR telling the team he believed enough in them to bring Cole back instead of being a seller. I wouldn't mind seeing Cheechoo wear the sightless eye if he is available and Cole is not.

LaRose is not a top 6 forward. As I've posted before LaRose decided to test Free Agency back in Feb. He's 27 and this is likely the ONLY time he gets a chance to bring in the money. If some team is willing to overpay for him, then he'll be stupid not to test the waters and get the big pay day. I like LaRose just as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't want to pay him $2M or more if that's what he's looking for.