The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

If Daniel Sedin signs here, then Henrik most likely will too. Where one goes, the other will follow. That would mean a lot of commitment to JR's cap, so I definitely do not see this happening.

Chill out, dude. This was just this guys opinion, which is what these message boards are about. I'm not saying you can't give your opinion, I'm just saying try to less of a jerk about it.

Excuse you? The Babchuck follower and I have quarreled before, so the history there allows for a bit more negative response than I would usually give.

I suggest you learn how certain members post/respond before calling them out on it, otherwise it just makes you look like the jerk.

Thanks

I'm telling you people - We wont keep Babchuk. One thing we have too much of is offensive dmen. Hes the odd man out (plus he is an RFA and we can get SOMETHING for him). We will resign Jokinen, we will resign Ruutu (I get the feeling the fins want to stay together. Plus with Jokinens versatility and Ruutus grit there is no way this team lets these guys go). We will bring up either Rodney or Carson to save money. Kaberle is either bought out or traded. Seidenberg.... I go back and forth on this one but I think it will depend on how much money he wants. I say he goes because someone else will pay him more. Cole - if he takes a deep discount he will stay. Otherwise he is gone. Larose... depends on how much money he wants. I say he stays. I wonder if Conboy stays on the team....

My .02. Buy out Kaberle, he spent most of the season in the press box anyway. Let Babchuk and Seidenberg walk and go after a BIG time defenseman. Bring up some River Rats.

I wouldn't call next year a rebuild year, but a stepping stone year.

My .02. Buy out Kaberle, he spent most of the season in the press box anyway. Let Babchuk and Seidenberg walk and go after a BIG time defenseman. Bring up some River Rats.

Babchuk is a RFA with no arbitration rights, we could definitely sign him for very little and he can either accept of go back to Russia. He may not be that good in his own end, but he has a big frame, had 35 points last year and is still only 25.

I agree, and I think JR does too. He wants more size, and we need that on the back end to play solidly (can you read between the lines that Seidenberg is gone?). Our forwards are small too, and the fresh faces coming in, Sutter, Boychuk are small too. I can see Boychuk being a star with Staal in the next couple years, but Staal needs someone now. I agree also that Bowman might very well be our Whitney replacement for years to come. But right now, realistically, what is out there in the Free Agent market that we can outbid other teams for? I will not be holding my breath for any big names.

The one bad thing about this run in the playoffs is that we draft 27th. Hopefully there will be some solid defensemen at the spot!

I think we need Pronger and Niedemeyer on D; or the younger versions of them if there are any. Big, strong, play all game. Kick *edit* and take names.

I disagree with this "we need a big physical defenseman" theory. If anything, the Pittsburgh series showed that what we were lacking on defense was speed and not size. Its kind of hard to hit a guy you can't catch. I would rather have a big physical forward to punish people on the forecheck.

Also, please quit bringing up the name Montador. We already have enough guys that take stupid penalties.

I wouldn't make any huge changes to the roster, nor would I try to bring in a whole bunch of youngsters from Albany or junior leagues. The true rebuilding comes next year when the contracts expire for a bunch of older players: Whitney, Walker, Cullen, Kaberle, Wallin, and Corvo. Also, Brind'Amour may be more likely to retire w/ 1 year left on his contract if he can't completely overcome these recent injuries.

2009/2010 may be the season where you may wanna spend some cash and try to make it to the playoffs with the veteran core and see if you can have another deep run, and hopefully solidify the fanbase before having to endure a year or 2 of moderate rebuilding.

I would definitely re-sign Ruutu, Jokinen, and Larose, possibly Seidenberg. I'm not sure about Babchuk, I'd almost prefer him to be homesick and go back to Russia. I'd re-sign Bayda on a 2 way contract, same w/ every other UFA that had the same deal already (Helminen, Ryan, Dwyer, etc..).

I would entertain trade offers for pretty much anyone other than Staal, Ward, Pitkanen, and Gleason. Not that I think there'd be many, our most tradeable players right now are Eaves and Corvo.

I'd be looking for a stay-at-home

The big problem this team has is that our 4th line and 5,6,7 defensmen are expensive. Wallin, Kaberle, Walker, Brindamour, eaves.

That's 10 million+ for five players who aren't contributing much. Its nice to know that if something goes awry, they can probably slide up better than most of the 4th liners out there. But teams putting young guys in the low value roster spots are paying 7 million less.

With McBain, Sutter, Boychuck, and Bowman in the wings, when they hit the big leagues our team will be in a great position to make a run with 4 contributing guys getting rookie money.

So to conclude, I don't think it matter what we do next year. Too many old guys eating up 2-4 million a piece. But we should make sure of is that we aren't locking ourselves into any of these lousy twilight year contracts for 10-11 when we really should be able to make some hay with the youth influx.

The big problem this team has is that our 4th line and 5,6,7 defensmen are expensive. Wallin, Kaberle, Walker, Brindamour, eaves.

That's 10 million+ for five players who aren't contributing much. Its nice to know that if something goes awry, they can probably slide up better than most of the 4th liners out there. But teams putting young guys in the low value roster spots are paying 7 million less.

With McBain, Sutter, Boychuck, and Bowman in the wings, when they hit the big leagues our team will be in a great position to make a run with 4 contributing guys getting rookie money.

So to conclude, I don't think it matter what we do next year. Too many old guys eating up 2-4 million a piece. But we should make sure of is that we aren't locking ourselves into any of these lousy twilight year contracts for 10-11 when we really should be able to make some hay with the youth influx.

don't even go there on Walker or Eaves, Wallin has a NTC and we waived Kabs twice with no takers. young guys don't bring what walker does to the table. Eaves is getting better. the only "old" guy on your list is Brindy and i really wish he would retire but his dollars will still count towards the cap.

Ummm, was that suppose to be about Erik Cole? Cause that's WAAAAAY off base.... oh and remember, you don't get a -1 for your team getting scored on while you're in the box. And he's been making room for no one but himself.

By this measure then we should keep Cole over Ruutu. Or get rid of them both, since there was practically ZERO difference between the two of them this year. Ruutu had 12 more points, same +/-, MORE PIMs. what is the material difference between Cole and Ruutu?

Everyone says we need to be more physical. these 2 guys are 2 of the more physical Forwards in the league. But everyone wants to worship Ruutu and condemn Cole? I don't get it. Keep 'em both. Line look like this:

Cole/Ruutu - Staal - New Winger

Ruutu/Cole - Cullen - LaRose

Whitney - Jokinen - Samsanov

Walker - Brindamour - Bayda/Eaves

and please don't keep Babchuk. Nice kid, but SLOW SLOW SLOW! If we keep him he's 3rd pairing only.

if we buy out Kabs we still take a cap hit so that isn't a real good option. we need to bundle him with something that some other team really wants.

All this IMO of course.

We need to replace some of our smaller player with bigger more-physical types. Guys that I think could be traded:

Ray Whitney - 1 year remaining at 3.5 mil. A team that thinks they are a 2010 contender might take a chance on Whitney as a 1-year rental. I don't think we would get all that much in return, but he's a tradeable asset that would clear up salary space

Frank Kaberle - We would have to give up a prospect in addition and receive almost nothing in return, but anythign is possible.

Patrick Eaves - Very palatable contract (1.4, 1.7 mil next two years) We have too many of those types already.

Joe Corvo - 1 year - 2.75 million. Someone that needs a puck-mover might be interested. Could he be packaged with Whitney to get a decent player in here?

Guys we will resign:

Toumo Ruutu: Best hitter on the team, top 6 forward.

Chad Larose: Top 9 guy, good PK.

Guys we might resign:

Jussi Jokinen - can play wing or forward. Hinges on whether or not one of the other midgets gets moved

Erik Cole - Not the same player he was before, but he does put butts in seats. He'll have to take a significant paycut to stay.

Guys we will not resign:

Dennis Seidenberg - Time to promote some of the younger guys.

Ryan Bayda - see Seidenberg.

Anton Babchuk - Great shot, defensive liability.

JR said he thinks we should be bigger so we need a power forward and if we bring

Sutter back we might be looking at a big center. Of course all this is fun but just

guess work and IMO.

lines

? + Staal + Cole

Samsonov + Jokinen + Ruutu

Ryan + Sutter + LaRose

Eaves + ? + Walker

D we keep Pitkanen,Corvo,

Gleason & Wallin + ???

Goal Ward + ?

JR said he thinks we should be bigger so we need a power forward and if we bring

Sutter back we might be looking at a big center. Of course all this is fun but just

guess work and IMO.

lines

? + Staal + Cole

Samsonov + Jokinen + Ruutu

Ryan + Sutter + LaRose

Eaves + ? + Walker

D we keep Pitkanen,Corvo,

Gleason & Wallin + ???

Goal Ward + ?

don't even go there on Walker or Eaves, Wallin has a NTC and we waived Kabs twice with no takers. young guys don't bring what walker does to the table. Eaves is getting better. the only "old" guy on your list is Brindy and i really wish he would retire but his dollars will still count towards the cap.

Yeah, I know we aren't getting rid of them. It just points to the corner we've worked our way into that maybe we should avoid in the future. I like Scott Walker a lot. But at 2.5 million a guy who probably is going to struggle to hit 15 goals or 50 games...its great to have the locker room presence, but eventually you have to match up with the other players on the ice.

Re Age, Wallin 34, Walker 35, Kaberle 35. Its not that players can't perform at that age, its just every year you have to wonder if this is the one when it the production goes in the toilet, or if this is the year that injury they can never recover from hits. Which is fine if they are in the last year of a contract. But when they have 2 or 3 years remaining, it can really hurt.

I don't mind eaves, but he doesn't really bring a lot to the table to justify his extra million on the pricetag over someone like Bayda. And especially over the kids in the system who will play for peanuts and some of which have some big upside in the upcoming seasons.

Cole/Ruutuu is a trickier situation. We used to have Ward/Wesley/Commodore/Wallin banging bodies on the back end. Now we have Gleason. So the physicality burden falls to Ruutuu and Cole. The problem is they are both so streaky and get banged up a lot. But until you find another source of body bangers, I think you have to keep them both.

Jussi makes me nervous. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't bet on him being a 20 goal scorer next season given even odds. And we need a 3rd line that can score. If we get stuck with him and Rod both not producing too much, then we become a two line team.

It'd be nice to have more than 2 players (Staal/Whitney) you really felt you could count on 50+ points from if your third line isn't getting you 60+ goals as a group.

I think Walker has the kind of style and grit that will still help the team even though he is not a prolific scorer. However I can't agree with you on Eaves. He doesn't have the touch, presence on ice or size to be a real support player for the Canes. And at $2+MM/year we can use that money elsewhere to better strenghten the team. What did he score, 5 goals all season long?

Yeah, I know we aren't getting rid of them. It just points to the corner we've worked our way into that maybe we should avoid in the future. I like Scott Walker a lot. But at 2.5 million a guy who probably is going to struggle to hit 15 goals or 50 games...its great to have the locker room presence, but eventually you have to match up with the other players on the ice.

Re Age, Wallin 34, Walker 35, Kaberle 35. Its not that players can't perform at that age, its just every year you have to wonder if this is the one when it the production goes in the toilet, or if this is the year that injury they can never recover from hits. Which is fine if they are in the last year of a contract. But when they have 2 or 3 years remaining, it can really hurt.

I don't mind eaves, but he doesn't really bring a lot to the table to justify his extra million on the pricetag over someone like Bayda. And especially over the kids in the system who will play for peanuts and some of which have some big upside in the upcoming seasons.

Cole/Ruutuu is a trickier situation. We used to have Ward/Wesley/Commodore/Wallin banging bodies on the back end. Now we have Gleason. So the physicality burden falls to Ruutuu and Cole. The problem is they are both so streaky and get banged up a lot. But until you find another source of body bangers, I think you have to keep them both.

Jussi makes me nervous. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't bet on him being a 20 goal scorer next season given even odds. And we need a 3rd line that can score. If we get stuck with him and Rod both not producing too much, then we become a two line team.

It'd be nice to have more than 2 players (Staal/Whitney) you really felt you could count on 50+ points from if your third line isn't getting you 60+ goals as a group.

Night in and Night out Walker and LaRose bring it, every shift they play. You can't find hockey players like that just anywhere, Walker STAYS!! And no I am not a Walker fan as much as for the 41 games I viewed from my perch on high, he always brought a consistent effort no matter how bad the rest of the team was playing. you can't teach that, you can't buy that, you either have it or you don't. that is what makes players like him and Rosie so valuable.

I think Walker has the kind of style and grit that will still help the team even though he is not a prolific scorer. However I can't agree with you on Eaves. He doesn't have the touch, presence on ice or size to be a real support player for the Canes. And at $2+MM/year we can use that money elsewhere to better strengthen the team. What did he score, 5 goals all season long?

I would be ok with Eaves being trade bait if we can also unload kabs. but he did bring a gritty effort every time on the ice and if he can stay healthy and improve then who knows.

I would be ok with Eaves being trade bait if we can also unload kabs. but he did bring a gritty effort every time on the ice and if he can stay healthy and improve then who knows.

It's probably going to take something thrown in (like Eaves) in order to move Kabs. I too like Eaves but we have some youngsters who are going to need a place to go and you have to clear out some room somewhere. That would clear out 3.6 mil next year, but that's a lot for someone else to take on. Somebody would have to want Eaves a lot.

If Ruutu, Jokinen, and LaRose are resigned, that would only leave 2 open forward spots (currently Cole and Bayda). You have to assume that Ruutu and Jokinen as RFA's will be reasonable deals and unless JR wants an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, he will resign Rosie. We have Bowman, Boychuk, and Sutter who 1 or more may be ready this coming season. You don't want to bring them up too soon and burn a season of entry level salary though. We still haven't addressed the fact that JR would like to get bigger up front (trade or free agent) or that Conboy has a one way deal next year. Also, Brindy said after todays exit conference that he intended to play next year so don't think a roster spot will clear there.

You really have the same log jam on the blueline too so a package deal involving Kabs and Eaves would make a lot of sense IF they can find a buyer. Buying out Kabs doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's probably going to take something thrown in (like Eaves) in order to move Kabs. I too like Eaves but we have some youngsters who are going to need a place to go and you have to clear out some room somewhere. That would clear out 3.6 mil next year, but that's a lot for someone else to take on. Somebody would have to want Eaves a lot.

If Ruutu, Jokinen, and LaRose are resigned, that would only leave 2 open forward spots (currently Cole and Bayda). You have to assume that Ruutu and Jokinen as RFA's will be reasonable deals and unless JR wants an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, he will resign Rosie. We have Bowman, Boychuk, and Sutter who 1 or more may be ready this coming season. You don't want to bring them up too soon and burn a season of entry level salary though. We still haven't addressed the fact that JR would like to get bigger up front (trade or free agent) or that Conboy has a one way deal next year. Also, Brindy said after todays exit conference that he intended to play next year so don't think a roster spot will clear there.

You really have the same log jam on the blueline too so a package deal involving Kabs and Eaves would make a lot of sense IF they can find a buyer. Buying out Kabs doesn't really make a lot of sense.

my big issue with buying out a player is that the money still counts towards your cap so it doesn't free up room to do anything. So we have another year of Brindy skating into the offensive zone two seconds behind everyone else, GREAT!!

Night in and Night out Walker and LaRose bring it, every shift they play. You can't find hockey players like that just anywhere, Walker STAYS!! And no I am not a Walker fan as much as for the 41 games I viewed from my perch on high, he always brought a consistent effort no matter how bad the rest of the team was playing. you can't teach that, you can't buy that, you either have it or you don't. that is what makes players like him and Rosie so valuable.

I don't disagree with you. But Scott can't hard work his bad angle slapshot going down the right wing past the goalie. And the 30 games he'll probably miss next year, he can't hard work from the press box. If you want to replace him with another more grit than skill guy, that's okay. Its just for 2.5m a year at 35, constantly battling injuries, and no longer putting the puck in the net, the value probably isn't going to be there.

I love Scott's cycle game. I like when he punches people in the face. I like the effort. But at the end of the day, he is going to be one of the smaller players when it comes to the success/failure of the team. For 2.5 million.

Take away the cap, and this is a different discussion by the way. But to make a simple example, Chad for 800k played almost every game, tried real hard, and scored 19 goals on top of it all. And I'd wager at 27 with no injury worries and still some upside, he'll end up making less than 2.5 a year despite it.

Buying Kaberle out only makes sense if he is just going to sit in street clothes for 40 games again next year. I think JR would consider it only as a roster spot consideration, not for the cap space.

Unfortunately for the Hurricanes, I foresee Brindamour doing the same thing for much of the next year or two. As much as he has done for this franchise though, if I was JR / Karmanos, I would feel a whole lot better about paying Brindy to sit on his butt than I would Kaberle.