The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Personally, I am very excited about our draft picks this year. Its about time they went for some size and grit.

I don't understand why JR didn't take the offer to trade out of the first round. He could have still gotten Philippe Paradis with the 32nd pick, and he would have picked up another 3rd round pick(75th overall). I was all excited that the Ashton kid had fallen to the Canes, but then they took Paradis. TB got Ashton with Detroit's pick.

Overall I do like the size & grit they picked in the draft. The Brian Dumoulin kid is going to BC next year. That is a good sign. After 2-3 years at BC he should be ready to make the jump to being a pro.

Looks like we're definitely replacing Bayda and Seidenberg according to the http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-no-change-on-cole-larose' target="_blank">N&O[/post]

Looking at that, I know why we are where we are with these guys right now. J.R. offered Cole a 1 year deal and went to 2 at the draft. Cole probably would like a 3 year deal. It doesn't say much about LaRose other than a multiyear deal. Bayda was offered a 2 way and he'd be stupid not to try to get a one way next season with another team. He had a nice year and should make the 4th line somewhere.

Looking at that, I know why we are where we are with these guys right now. J.R. offered Cole a 1 year deal and went to 2 at the draft. Cole probably would like a 3 year deal. It doesn't say much about LaRose other than a multiyear deal. Bayda was offered a 2 way and he'd be stupid not to try to get a one way next season with another team. He had a nice year and should make the 4th line somewhere.

Agreed

I don't understand why JR didn't take the offer to trade out of the first round. He could have still gotten Philippe Paradis with the 32nd pick, and he would have picked up another 3rd round pick(75th overall). I was all excited that the Ashton kid had fallen to the Canes, but then they took Paradis. TB got Ashton with Detroit's pick.

Overall I do like the size & grit they picked in the draft. The Brian Dumoulin kid is going to BC next year. That is a good sign. After 2-3 years at BC he should be ready to make the jump to being a pro.

At first I was wondering why we didn't trade back for Paradis, but after reading some more about him I am currently OK with where we took him. Plus here is something interesting to think about. Maybe the reason Detroit traded back was because they were also looking to go for Paradis with their first round pick, but since we got him they traded back a few picks where they could still get someone like Ferraro, Klingberg, etc.

But I agree about Dumoulin, he could turn out to be a big steal. 6% body fat (led the combine), with an 80 inch wingspan (tied for 1st), and a few years at BC sounds GREAT to me. Plus he is still only 17 years old, and I wouldn't rule out that he could still grow taller than he already is (6'3)

Uhhhh....they were playing top six when the season ended, but I don't think that makes them legitimate top 6 forwards if you are looking realistically at next season. I also don't see how you can call Cole a top 6 and then say what you do about him doing nothing in the playoffs and him needing Staal. You are making my point. LaRose is a nice player, but not really a 1st or 2nd liner.

I do give credit to Cole helping the team get over the hump at the end of the season and he may be a good 2nd line player, but he isn't a guy that needs to be overpaid just to keep him here.

If I am looking realistically at THIS TEAM, I think I can say they are both top 6 forwards here, based on the way I saw them used. I am not saying that they are top 6 forwards league-wide, because they are not. And no, I'm not an Erik Cole fan at all. Nor do I want to see him overpaid.

I'm unhappy because these two players are likely going to walk and Rutherford isn't going replace them until the free agent "frenzy" is over, which certainly means he'll miss out on some talented players. I'm less upset about losing the players mentioned then I am about Rutherford's unwillingness to open up talks with free agents quickly. IMO, if there's someone you want, you try to get them based on YOUR budget...the cap didn't move much.

While I don't think Erik Cole or Chad LaRose are irreplaceable, I think they're the better alternative to rushing prospects to the NHL because of their departure. If JR's going to let them walk, then I wish he'd actively pursue replacements instead of sitting on his thumbs watching players get signed.

If I am looking realistically at THIS TEAM, I think I can say they are both top 6 forwards here, based on the way I saw them used. I am not saying that they are top 6 forwards league-wide, because they are not. And no, I'm not an Erik Cole fan at all. Nor do I want to see him overpaid.

I'm unhappy because these two players are likely going to walk and Rutherford isn't going replace them until the free agent "frenzy" is over, which certainly means he'll miss out on some talented players. I'm less upset about losing the players mentioned then I am about Rutherford's unwillingness to open up talks with free agents quickly. IMO, if there's someone you want, you try to get them based on YOUR budget...the cap didn't move much.

While I don't think Erik Cole or Chad LaRose are irreplaceable, I think they're the better alternative to rushing prospects to the NHL because of their departure. If JR's going to let them walk, then I wish he'd actively pursue replacements instead of sitting on his thumbs watching players get signed.

the difference can be as much as two or three mil if he waits until after the frenzy. On Wednesday all free agents will be asking for top dollar.

And wow, I just read the N&O article, and now JR says Babchuk could round out his top four? I like Babchuk, it's no secret, but top 4 is pushing it after the playoffs he had.

the difference can be as much as two or three mil if he waits until after the frenzy. On Wednesday all free agents will be asking for top dollar.

I understand that other teams WILL overpay. But I think you have to be foolish not to at least sniff around a bit... I guess it all depends on how important the players you're seeking are to your overall plan. As I am Playing GM right now, picking up a talented free agent after letting Cole and LaRose walk, would be pretty important.

There's been a lot of talk about whether J.R. should have traded down and still gotten our guy. Who knows? It's easy to say now that Paradis would have fallen, but he may not.

Look at it this way; you are at a singles bar and you have been talking up this pretty girl all night. She's smart, seems sane, has a good job, and is pretty to boot. Earlier in the night, you get to go home with her or take your chances latter on and maybe or maybe not she's still there. If you wait, you do get to take home an extra ugly girl as part of the deal after everybody else has picked the good ones. Do you want to go home with the prom queen or take a chance and end up with somebody else and her ugly friend? You turn your back and look around to see if there is an ugly girl that has some feature you like and somebody swoops in and takes the prom queen home.

If Paradis is their guy and it isn't a complete reach, no problem.

I wouldn't give Cole more than a 2 year deal, so I'm fine with that offer. I'd actually rather give him a 1 year knowing all the contracts coming off the books, next year would be the perfect time to get that winger for Staal.

LaRose was likely offered in the 3-4 year, just not sure if he's getting lowballed ($1M) or if the offer was fair ($1.5M).

Bayda is replaceable by one of the Rats guys. Someone who plays 4-5 mins a game isn't a must need and with Conboy already on a one way, we really have no need for Bayda. I think his offer was more of a offer knowing he wouldn't accept it, but just offered it to be nice.

How do you know that J.R. is going to wait? He can't "legally" be negotiating now with other UFA's. It's all posturing at this point.

In a Larry the Cable Guy voice

"Larose as a top 6 forward, that's funny right there."

I dunno what some of you all's definition of a top 6 forward is but to me it's a guy who could join just about any NHL team and get in the top 6. Which in no way shape or form is Larose.

Cole you got an argument with when he's not in a funk, which is quite often. I have never seen Cole complete a season without a 15-30 game funk and maybe 2-3 seasons he completed healthy. I say if he's in the top 6 he's #6 at best.

Larose is a 3rd liner who is a solid fill in for injuries. But he doesnt have the size of puck handling to go against top tier d-men for 82 games.

Yeah, noon on wednesday.

I don't know about LaRose, but there were supposed to be negotiations between JR and Cole's agent this past weekend. I don't know if anything came from that though, I guess we'll see soon. If we can only sign one before July 1st, I really hope it's LaRose. If Cole decides to test the market I think he'll be in for a surprise.

I don't think so. I think someone would pay Cole $4m per year. Why? Because you have to look beyond the disappointing playoffs. Okay, he didn't score a lot of goals, but from the minute he came back and was paired with Staal, our star center excelled and we won games. Cole's acquisition at the trade deadline helped us secure our lines for the stretch run.

JR came out and said we need size to get even deeper into the playoffs. Teams that missed the playoffs will likewise need that size, and some of those teams with younger guys are going to be looking for a 30 year old very fast wing, with size, who can not only get 20 goals but also provide leadership. Is that worth $4m per year? Probably, especially when you consider that some of these teams are well under the cap. Look at the Islanders. Cole came from New York; would he want to be part of the rebuilding there and join Tavares et al in bringing the Isles back to respectability? Possibly, if the price is right.

I think JR is right to try and get Cole for a discount, but I think Cole would say "I'll come down 10% from where I was last year if you add another year to it." So JR would need to mull over whether Cole is worth $3.5m for 4 years. That's where I'll wager the rub is. If I'm Cole, I'm testing the market, because size/speed/SC experience is worth good money in this market, and the only way he stays in Carolina is if we can compete in length of contract vs. amount per year.

And wow, I just read the N&O article, and now JR says Babchuk could round out his top four? I like Babchuk, it's no secret, but top 4 is pushing it after the playoffs he had.

Feel free to ignore the 3 months before the playoffs where he was playing in the Top 4 and had the highest +/- rating in the league from the All-Star break onward.

LaRose isn't a Top 6 forward and shouldn't get paid like one. He's a nice guy to have, a nice spark of energy, a pest, whathaveyou. When he's on the ice, it's a wash at worst. No chances created, but no chances given up. At best, he throws opponents off their game, draws penalties, etc. But he doesn't have the skills to play Top 6 consistently.

Cole, in top form, is easily a Top 6 forward. Now whether his play last season was just a funk he was in or if that's the way he plays now, there's no way to tell. I wouldn't be willing to pay him any more than 2 million to find out though.

There's been a lot of talk about whether J.R. should have traded down and still gotten our guy. Who knows? It's easy to say now that Paradis would have fallen, but he may not.

Look at it this way; you are at a singles bar and you have been talking up this pretty girl all night. She's smart, seems sane, has a good job, and is pretty to boot. Earlier in the night, you get to go home with her or take your chances latter on and maybe or maybe not she's still there. If you wait, you do get to take home an extra ugly girl as part of the deal after everybody else has picked the good ones. Do you want to go home with the prom queen or take a chance and end up with somebody else and her ugly friend? You turn your back and look around to see if there is an ugly girl that has some feature you like and somebody swoops in and takes the prom queen home.

what a way of putting it!! But some of us guys were wingmen and took the ugly one home anyhow especially if she was drunk or we were drunk or both of us were drunk.

In a Larry the Cable Guy voice

"Larose as a top 6 forward, that's funny right there."

I dunno what some of you all's definition of a top 6 forward is but to me it's a guy who could join just about any NHL team and get in the top 6. Which in no way shape or form is Larose.

Cole you got an argument with when he's not in a funk, which is quite often. I have never seen Cole complete a season without a 15-30 game funk and maybe 2-3 seasons he completed healthy. I say if he's in the top 6 he's #6 at best.

Larose is a 3rd liner who is a solid fill in for injuries. But he doesn't have the size of puck handling to go against top tier d-men for 82 games.

for some on here a top 6 forward must be able to count to 6!! LOL

You know what...maybe this is a typo now that I read it again.

"That does mean we do not want Ryan back," Rutherford said.

Maybe it's supposed to say "that doesn't mean we do not want Ryan back"?

I read that a few times as well and I am going with a typo. I cant see him saying that about Bayda, he hasnt done anything to merit that type of comment.

It wasn't a complete reach. They kept saying anyone from 15-40 was about even. So it came down to who you liked. Francis was really excited to get this guy.

what a way of putting it!! But some of us guys were wingmen and took the ugly one home anyhow especially if she was drunk or we were drunk or both of us were drunk.

I've taken one for the team myself. They do get a lot prettier at closing time with your beer goggles on.

I read that a few times as well and I am going with a typo. I cant see him saying that about Bayda, he hasnt done anything to merit that type of comment.

Yeah I thought it sounded a little harsh especially about Bayda-fish. In that case, maybe it's less of a certainty that Bayda is gone.

I've taken one for the team myself. They do get a lot prettier at closing time with your beer goggles on.

Some don't, that is when you really have to ManUp.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if we don't resign Seids, Cole, Bayda, and Rosey ... that's kind of a fail for JR, no?

I know we have guys in the system, but I'm hoping there are some FA's out there that we'll be able to pick up ... there's no way in H-E-Double hockey sticks that Gleason, Corvo, Joni and Babs can be our Top 4 d-man...throw Frank in there, too ... no way.

Comments?