The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if we don't resign Seids, Cole, Bayda, and Rosey ... that's kind of a fail for JR, no?

I know we have guys in the system, but I'm hoping there are some FA's out there that we'll be able to pick up ... there's no way in H-E-Double hockey sticks that Gleason, Corvo, Joni and Babs can be our Top 4 d-man...throw Frank in there, too ... no way.

Comments?

Not really, there are some 700 other players out there so there are always options.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if we don't resign Seids, Cole, Bayda, and Rosey ... that's kind of a fail for JR, no?

I know we have guys in the system, but I'm hoping there are some FA's out there that we'll be able to pick up ... there's no way in H-E-Double hockey sticks that Gleason, Corvo, Joni and Babs can be our Top 4 d-man...throw Frank in there, too ... no way.

Comments?

Well, I think JR was expecting Seids to be gone and believes that he's given Bayda what he can afford to give him. I don't think it's a fail if both of those guys walk.

I think it's more of a concern if he can't sign either LaRose or Cole, though I like the fact that JR isn't planning to overpay them just to make sure he has one of his UFAs in the bag.

Is it a fail? Well, it's not a fail if he can get something else during the offseason that can fill the holes left by those guys. If he can't re-sign any of them, can't lure anyone to Carolina from the UFA pool and is unable to make any trades, then we're in epic fail category.

Well, I think JR was expecting Seids to be gone and believes that he's given Bayda what he can afford to give him. I don't think it's a fail if both of those guys walk.

I think it's more of a concern if he can't sign either LaRose or Cole, though I like the fact that JR isn't planning to overpay them just to make sure he has one of his UFAs in the bag.

Is it a fail? Well, it's not a fail if he can get something else during the offseason that can fill the holes left by those guys. If he can't re-sign any of them, can't lure anyone to Carolina from the UFA pool and is unable to make any trades, then we're in epic fail category.

Agreed -- I don't want him to overpay any of the guys, especially if their year last year was a flash in the pan (i.e. LaRose, Bayda), but if we can't resign any of the guys and can't bring anyone here....epic gigantic massively huge fail.

I read that a few times as well and I am going with a typo. I cant see him saying that about Bayda, he hasnt done anything to merit that type of comment.

Must have been a typo .It now reads, "That does not mean we do not want Ryan back,"

I read that a few times as well and I am going with a typo. I cant see him saying that about Bayda, he hasnt done anything to merit that type of comment.

Must have been a typo .It now reads, "That does not mean we do not want Ryan back,"

Agree. Time will tell.

Agree. Time will tell.

Agreed -- I don't want him to overpay any of the guys, especially if their year last year was a flash in the pan (i.e. LaRose, Bayda), but if we can't resign any of the guys and can't bring anyone here....epic gigantic massively huge fail.

If we dont sign Cole or Larose I really doubt he lets FA go by and not sign someone. He is just gaining leverage on the players by saying he'll trade for someone. If he says well we got cash and we'll go elsewhere, then the players are offended they arent being offered the full deal and negotiations fall through.

Should be interesting if players dont get the offers they think they'll get and we wind up with 7-8 mil open to use on 2-3 players who eventually drop thier numbers.

Also was talking about trading ... I know we have a lot of guys who are UFA's at the end of next season (Walks, Whit, Cullen, Scorevo, Frank and Wallin, to name a few), but do you think he'd trade one of those guys especially knowing the experience most of them have?

I really don't think JR can go the trade route to fill Cole and LaRose's positions. Who are we going to trade? Teams are not going to want our 3rd/4th liners. If we trade guys like Cullen or Corvo, then you have to have someone replace them.

I'd hate to trade prospects (Boychuk, Bowman, etc) but that's all we have that are worth anything. JR for once seems pretty excited about our prospects.

I think JR goes the free agent route and is using he'll go through trades as part of his poker plan.

I saw on TSN that the blues are buying out defenseman Jay Mckee. I don't know anything about him besides what I've read online, but he's a big (6'4") stay at home defenseman who likes to hit and is a good shot blocker. The downside is he does get injured a good amout, he played 69 games last year. Now obviously, he was not playing up to his 4 mil contract in St. Louis if they've decided to buy him out, but these are the types of players that JR goes after, and he probably wouldn't be too expensive.

I saw on TSN that the blues are buying out defenseman Jay Mckee. I don't know anything about him besides what I've read online, but he's a big (6'4") stay at home defenseman who likes to hit and is a good shot blocker. The downside is he does get injured a good amout, he played 69 games last year. Now obviously, he was not playing up to his 4 mil contract in St. Louis if they've decided to buy him out, but these are the types of players that JR goes after, and he probably wouldn't be too expensive.

He was and still may be a great dman but he's spent the better of the last few seasons on the IR. He's another potentially high risk signing.

How do you know that J.R. is going to wait? He can't "legally" be negotiating now with other UFA's. It's all posturing at this point.

From the N&O:

"We'll have a better idea in the next week if LaRose and Cole are going to get signed. And if they're not, we're going to back off the early part of July, because I think teams pay a premium [for those free agents] during the early part."

That says to me.... he's going to wait....

From the N&O:

"We'll have a better idea in the next week if LaRose and Cole are going to get signed. And if they're not, we're going to back off the early part of July, because I think teams pay a premium [for those free agents] during the early part."

He may wait, he may not. History tells us that he isn't going to sign a big name (big money) guy anyway. It's still too early to get all lathered up about his posturing and statements now. We all know that these guys play their cards pretty close to the vest. If there is a guy that J.R. pegs as the one, he'll make a move.

From the N&O:

JR in response to trade deadline: "I am not looking to make any trades"

Within 24 hours: Bates Battaglia, Andrew Ladd and Justin Williams fell victim and was traded.

You have to take what JR says as a grain of salt. You can't take what he says and automatically assume he's speaking the truth. He may, he may not. JR is one of the best at playing poker. You really never know what he is going to do.

Excuse me for possibly being an idiot and not knowing what this means, but according to this, if they don't send out a qualifying offer to our three RFA's, what will happen? Do they then become UFAs?

There is 0 chance of the RFA's not being qualified. No need to worry.

Excuse me for possibly being an idiot and not knowing what this means, but according to this, if they don't send out a qualifying offer to our three RFA's, what will happen? Do they then become UFAs?

our guys HAVE BEEN qualified, check Paul Brenecky's thread.

Anyone else think JR should make a run for Nic Antropov? Especially if we lose Chad LaRose (which Im not convinced we will). Big physical center who doesnt mind going to the net. He would answer the size issue for sure and if you believe the rumors from the last trade deadline day, he's been on JR's radar.

Anyone else think JR should make a run for Nic Antropov? Especially if we lose Chad LaRose (which Im not convinced we will). Big physical center who doesnt mind going to the net. He would answer the size issue for sure and if you believe the rumors from the last trade deadline day, he's been on JR's radar.

It seems like we discussed Antropov around the trade deadline, and reaction here was lukewarm. He's big, but a lot like Vasicek in that he doesn't use his size as well as he should.

He did look good with New York though...can shoot the puck well.

Big and goes to the net is something this team can use (especially on the PP). If he comes, is he going to play wing or center? I would think the team's hopes are that Brindy will come back healthy and be able to play the 3rd line center. That would already push Jussi to wing.