The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

if we dont resign cole larose bayda and berg that would free up a lot of money. also jussi took a salary cut. That is about 7-8 mil there. Is that money going to be used to bring in a second teir elite player like tanguay or cammy. Or would it be used to grab 2-3 average players. We would have to replace 2 top 9 spots and one top 4 spot. would those replacement be eaves , boychuk and babchuk or hopefully they will bring in someone thats legit.

tfp has us looking at gionta and oduya. i would love both of them then have that 3rd line spot filled by eaves and babchuk still gettin only 15 min. That would be a solid roster to me. Still a bit small, how much of an upgrade is gionta over larose both are speedy guys with gionta have much more skill and larose being more physical. but is gionta worth 2 mil more than larose?

Antropov's big and great on the PP. He's probably going to be asking about the same that we were paying Cole though, about 4-5 million.

I can't believe JR's tossing Cole and LaRose to the side and trying for Michael Ryan instead. No offense to Ryan, but come on.

As much as I love LaRose, if he's expecting to turn a 19 goal regular season and his playoff run into 2 million +/year, we cannot sign him.

One thing I absolutely love about JR is that he sits down and evaluates what a player is worth and doesn't move from that. And he's rarely been wrong. There haven't been too many players who wanted 4 that we were willing to give no more than 2 who went somewhere else and earned 4. Especially in this day and age, you cannot overpay for players. Period. It will kill you. Ask the Rangers.

I love LaRose at 1.2-1.5 million a year for 2-3 years. Any more than that and for any longer than that, someone else can pay him. Same thing with Cole. Given his playoff stats, anything more than 2.5M is too much IMHO.

Big and goes to the net is something this team can use (especially on the PP). If he comes, is he going to play wing or center? I would think the team's hopes are that Brindy will come back healthy and be able to play the 3rd line center. That would already push Jussi to wing.

My hope is that Brindy will come back healthy and play 3rd line center too but.... history has shown us we'll need insurance up the middle and Antropov could be great insurance. I think he also can shift to wing and play up like Chad did at times but to have someone who's a proven 25 goal scorer with size (and actually uses it) as an option up the middle, I'd at least consider it.

Not sure where the 4-5 mil for his salary is coming from, last year he made $2.1 and even with a raise I dont see him making more than $3 mil in this economy. I guess there's always some team willing to shell out the big bucks but not for a player that has his injury history. Although he seemed to stay healthy as of late.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/06/28/article-offer-for-zherdev-antropov-likely-out/' target="_blank">http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/06/28/a...pov-likely-out/[/post]

The asking price is why the Rangers are probably going to be letting him go. I don't think he'd take a big discount to play here.

Well... as Glen Sather said, "Good luck to him"

:)

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/06/28/article-offer-for-zherdev-antropov-likely-out/' target="_blank">http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/06/28/a...pov-likely-out/[/post]

The asking price is why the Rangers are probably going to be letting him go. I don't think he'd take a big discount to play here.

lol 5 mil a year? Who the hell does he think he is? Jeff Carter?

lol 5 mil a year? Who the hell does he think he is? Jeff Carter?

I think/hope a lot of players are going to realize tomorrow what many of us have learned over the last year - things have changed.

I think/hope a lot of players are going to realize tomorrow what many of us have learned over the last year - things have changed.

I couldnt agree more, the money just isnt there with the current economy and the fact that the cap may go down next year wont help anyone's cause.

Job security may become the priority by 4:00pm tomorrow.

I can't believe JR's tossing Cole and LaRose to the side and trying for Michael Ryan instead. No offense to Ryan, but come on.

I seriously doubt JR is looking at Mike Ryan as LaRose's replacement. He was offered a 2-way deal. Also, N&O says that JR told LaRose's agent that he got some movement in his position and gave him another offer yesterday. He is waiting to hear back from them.

I think a lot of guys are going to learn that 3 mil is the new 5 mil.

I think a lot of guys are going to learn that 3 mil is the new 5 mil.

I think you're right. The http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-cole-to-test-fa-market' target="_blank">latest from Chip[/post] @ N&O is that Cole is testing the waters, still a possibility with LaRose. Just guessing, LaRose will stay, Cole will find the water much colder than he expected.

With Cole looking to "test the waters", if he doesnt find a better offer than what JR offers him and his agent says...ok JR...lets sign, could JR lower his original offer to Cole kinda like a "see i told you so" or does he have to stick to his original offer to Cole...whatever that is...

With Cole looking to "test the waters", if he doesnt find a better offer than what JR offers him and his agent says...ok JR...lets sign, could JR lower his original offer to Cole kinda like a "see i told you so" or does he have to stick to his original offer to Cole...whatever that is...

The only deal that was reported to "still be on the table" after July 1st was for Ryan Bayda. Thats what I read anyway.

A team can leave an offer on the table, but if an offer is made and rejected, it isn't just laying around. It really wouldn't make sense to leave it hanging like that. If Cole knows the same offer will be there, he'd have nothing to lose by testing the market. He's taking a chance by doing it.

A team can leave an offer on the table, but if an offer is made and rejected, it isn't just laying around. It really wouldn't make sense to leave it hanging like that. If Cole knows the same offer will be there, he'd have nothing to lose by testing the market. He's taking a chance by doing it.

Exactly. The market will change dramatically in 5 days, just like it did a few years ago. The day before the signing deadline last year, Cullen at $3 million looked a little expensive. 5 days later it looked spectacular. Deals that look great today will be viewed through completely different lenses in 5 days.

he did that to Tanabe, he wanted a one way deal for a lot more money. when he didn't get it he tried out for St. Louis and got a lower offer. Then came back to us and JR lowered his original offer.

If I’m GM ( happy I’m not) I want to sign by priority

Ruutu (get it done and get him out of the mix,We all know we want him)

Babs ( We need to hold him when Seids walks)

Cole ( He has the size and speed we say we want. Make him a better offer but not to much better )

Bayda (He is our future not our present and he will have to agree to the 2 way.I hope Bayda can look 2 years in the future because his time is coming)

LaRose (most likely to test the waters. If we want size LaRose isn’t the guy.He has our offer so wait for his move)

I think we will have more news this afternoon at least I hope we will.

If I’m GM ( happy I’m not) I want to sign by priority

Ruutu (get it done and get him out of the mix,We all know we want him)

Babs ( We need to hold him when Seids walks)

Cole ( He has the size and speed we say we want. Make him a better offer but not to much better )

Bayda (He is our future not our present and he will have to agree to the 2 way.I hope Bayda can look 2 years in the future because his time is coming)

LaRose (most likely to test the waters. If we want size LaRose isn’t the guy.He has our offer so wait for his move)

I think we will have more news this afternoon at least I hope we will.

Cole is not on the list of players invited to the Olympic orentation camp in August. The last Olympics he was one of the best players on the ice for the USA. This might be a good indication of how much he has fallen off. On another note, has anyone consdered Mike Knuble? He has good size, much better hands than Cole, played every game last season, and seems to play younger than his age. If the price is right, I think he could be a good fit for a couple years.

IMO most of the guys that haven't signed yet aren't anyone to lose sleep over,If we sigh them, great, if we don't, those aren't huge holes to have to plug.Ruutu is the main guy we have to sign.There are going to be alot of players out there that will be in the same situation as Cole and LaRose. Don't get me wrong, I like both those guys but reality they won't be real hard to replace.There are alot of teams out there that are having the same issues we are.

Oh yeah... from N&O: "We don't close the door 100 percent on anyone," Rutherford said. "But the offer we made is the best we can make. Once a player goes out into free agency and starts shopping around, that's something we're not excited about."

I was just listening to Darren Dreger on XM and he says we'll likely see the top tier guys go tomorrow then the rest will trickle through the weekend and early next week. After that, he said there will be a drop off and we likely won't see anything till August. And then the GMs have alot more leverage.

To be honest I don't see Cole or LaRose as those top tier guys (Sedin Twins, Bouwmeester, Hossa, etc).

I don't know but they might be in for a rude awakening.

I know it is Eklund but this is his take on Cole (no mention of LaRose):

*Erik Cole. Make the Ottawa Sens a favorite, followed by NJ.

I was just listening to Darren Dreger on XM and he says we'll likely see the top tier guys go tomorrow then the rest will trickle through the weekend and early next week. After that, he said there will be a drop off and we likely won't see anything till August. And then the GMs have alot more leverage.

To be honest I don't see Cole or LaRose as those top tier guys (Sedin Twins, Bouwmeester, Hossa, etc).

I don't know but they might be in for a rude awakening.

They aren't top tier guys but they won't be asking top tier money. I could see both getting offers by next

week but I don't think it will be what they expect. I can understand LaRose. This might be his only chance at

a better payday. He has often had to fight for ice time with us and with us saying we want to get bigger he

might not feel that secure. He does strike me as a player who believes in himself and might just want to see

what he is worth.