The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I was just listening to Darren Dreger on XM and he says we'll likely see the top tier guys go tomorrow then the rest will trickle through the weekend and early next week. After that, he said there will be a drop off and we likely won't see anything till August. And then the GMs have alot more leverage.

To be honest I don't see Cole or LaRose as those top tier guys (Sedin Twins, Bouwmeester, Hossa, etc).

I don't know but they might be in for a rude awakening.

They aren't top tier guys but they won't be asking top tier money. I could see both getting offers by next

week but I don't think it will be what they expect. I can understand LaRose. This might be his only chance at

a better payday. He has often had to fight for ice time with us and with us saying we want to get bigger he

might not feel that secure. He does strike me as a player who believes in himself and might just want to see

what he is worth.

I would imagine JR offered Cole something between $2 and $3 a year, with 3 being overpayment in my book. If Cole thinks he can get more and that's what he wants: fine. But he's going to underperform on his contract just like the last 2 years. I like Cole, but he's not going to bounce back to his cup year level like his agent insists. Any team willing to believe him and sign him to $3+/year is foolish. I'll miss him, but he was a shell in the playoffs. We need performers. Sorry.

LaRose: can't blame him for testing. He has improved every year and had a breakout year. He could command $2 to $2.5 in FA. I'd like to think that he would return the favor to the Canes organization since they took chances putting him on the ice so much, but he worked hard to stay there. If he goes somewhere else I wish him the best, but I really hope he stays.

With that said, I'll take Ruutu over either of these guys any day of the week, and I'm a big Rosey fan.

I know it is Eklund but this is his take on Cole (no mention of LaRose):

I could see Nj being interested in Cole.Before we got him back from the

Oil Boston was said to be interested in him. His size and speed make him

attractive to a Devil type of hockey. He better get a nice raise to live in

New Jersey if the taxes don't get you the tolls will.

I know it is Eklund but this is his take on Cole (no mention of LaRose):

I could see Nj being interested in Cole.Before we got him back from the

Oil Boston was said to be interested in him. His size and speed make him

attractive to a Devil type of hockey. He better get a nice raise to live in

New Jersey if the taxes don't get you the tolls will.

Florida did not make a qualifying offer to RFA Anthony Stewart and assuming arbitration is not elected, he will be a UFA. This guy is HUGE - 6'2 and 239 pounds - he finishes his checks and is a power forward mold, PERFECT for what this team is trying to become. Granted, his skills have yet to translate to the NHL (105 games, 12 points) he has had scoring ability in the AHL (130 games, 66 points). He could add size and girt to the fourth line along with some willingness to drop the gloves (6 fights this year, 30 out of 34 PIM from fighting).

Stats from TSN - http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=3516

Its just an idea for conversation.... We need to get bigger, tougher, and more willing to fight and Stewart seems to fit all those needs.

With Cole looking to "test the waters", if he doesnt find a better offer than what JR offers him and his agent says...ok JR...lets sign, could JR lower his original offer to Cole kinda like a "see i told you so" or does he have to stick to his original offer to Cole...whatever that is...

The latest blurb over at hockeybuzz has Cole being courted by Ottawa and NJ. No details on dollars, but it looks like there's at least interest there. As much as I don't want to overpay him, it would suck seeing him as a Devil.

IMO most of the guys that haven't signed yet aren't anyone to lose sleep over,If we sigh them, great, if we don't, those aren't huge holes to have to plug.Ruutu is the main guy we have to sign.There are going to be alot of players out there that will be in the same situation as Cole and LaRose. Don't get me wrong, I like both those guys but reality they won't be real hard to replace.There are alot of teams out there that are having the same issues we are.

You're absolutely right. When you look at the list of UFAs and their current status, there are very few who have been re-signed. It's pretty clear that the GMs understand that with the cap pretty much flat that they aren't going to be giving a lot of guys big raises. The players want the money, but the money isn't there. I think we'll see a flurry around the top 15-20 guys in the next couple of days, and then we'll see things settle in for the remainder of July into more moderate numbers.

JR isn't the kind of guy to make a big splash. He likes to pick guys who are ready to over-achieve, and he seems to have a great knack for picking guys who fit into our system real well. That being said, we need someone capable of playing alongside Staal and scoring 30.

I am glad JR refuses to overpay for Cole. If Cole doesn't take a big paycut then there will be a GM who needs his head examined.

Really would like to keep LaRose. I don't want to overpay, but he brings a lot to this team.

WRAL just reported that the Canes offered Cole $2mil a year but they don't know what was offered to LaRose.

Dang, I didn't think JR would go that low on Cole. I would bet Cole's performance in the playoffs did him in with JR.

WRAL just reported that the Canes offered Cole $2mil a year but they don't know what was offered to LaRose.

Wow, I thought J.R. would be at about 2.75. Cole will get more than that from somebody. Oh well, I wasn't sold on Cole being the answer anyway, but what is the question? I don't think Cole turned out to be what J.R. was hoping for and he is ready to move on. He would keep Cole at a price, but that price isn't what Cole is looking for. I still think the biggest part of the trade to bring him in was the salary dump of Williams and to energize the team and fans. There was a good little bump at first, but then Cole disappeared (again).

If they are that far apart, I'd say the damage has been done.

I wont be losing sleep if they both walk, let them be greedy lol. Larose deserves money but in our situation were not the ones to give it to him. Cole on the other hand I dont want to see him back, hes constantly been downhill. Hes got speed and grit but if you cant finish what good is it. I would rather see that money we save at least trying to get a big name for staal. I mean if JR was willing to pay cole at least 2 mill and Im sure offered larose 1.5, theres 3.5 million there to spend towards someone. Get PK to dig out some ole pocket change and grab a winger.

So he lowballed Cole. Even with his decreased play, Cole was worth more than 2 million. Wouldn't be surprised for it to come out he did the same thing to LaRose.

So he lowballed Cole. Even with his decreased play, Cole was worth more than 2 million. Wouldn't be surprised for it to come out he did the same thing to LaRose.

Yeah I agree. I'm not happy with the lowballing here. It was one thing when I thought we offered him around 3 and Cole wanted more, its arguable that Rosey himself is worth 2. Cole is definitely worth more than that and I fear we may have burned a bridge that we could have used.

Yeah I agree. I'm not happy with the lowballing here. It was one thing when I thought we offered him around 3 and Cole wanted more, its arguable that Rosey himself is worth 2. Cole is definitely worth more than that and I fear we may have burned a bridge that we could have used.

If JR really only offer 2 m for Cole that would mean he offered Rosey only around 1 m. hmmmm something doesn't sound right. JR would know those amounts wouldn't get signatures on contracts....

Agreed. Now I'm really interested to see just what he offers Larose.

Maybe he lowballed Cole because he really wasn't part of the plan for next season anyway. LaRose has the upper hand for the first time in his career when it comes to negotiations. He has to use that hand while he has it.

LaRose has hand, and he's going to need it.

If JR really only offer 2 m for Cole that would mean he offered Rosey only around 1 m. hmmmm something doesn't sound right. JR would know those amounts wouldn't get signatures on contracts....

yea, not sure thats accurate.... if you listened to the draft this past week on XM radio, some newspaper was reporting the islanders would pick duchene instead of tavares just prior to starting... we all saw that was wrong. but if he is indeed low balling them that much, not sure what he is thinking...

lol now now let's not jump ship just because of some "reported" offer. JR must have some master plan here...

But it was the sports guy on WRAL TV 5 so it's gotta be true doesn't it?

But it was the sports guy on WRAL TV 5 so it's gotta be true doesn't it?

well it ain't on wral.com...so there. I don't believe a thing until I see something on this board or on the main website about it...maybe TSN as well. JR knows 2 mil is a slap in the face...he wouldn't do that.

The masterplan is to let the dust settle, pick up 3rd/4th line players to play on the 1st/2nd line and hope players that should be just developing in the AHL somehow manage to have an impact in the NHL. I never expect this team to be picked to win it all in the preseason rankings but this is looking ugly.

well it ain't on wral.com...so there. I don't believe a thing until I see something on this board or on the main website about it...maybe TSN as well. JR knows 2 mil is a slap in the face...he wouldn't do that.

Let's not forget Froggy has to verify and assess the impact on the team. If Froggy doesn't comment then it can't be true!!

Maybe he lowballed Cole because he really wasn't part of the plan for next season anyway. LaRose has the upper hand for the first time in his career when it comes to negotiations. He has to use that hand while he has it.

LaRose has hand, and he's going to need it.

Looks that way. I was starting to think that JR must be lowballing around $2 mil for Cole, otherwise the idea of him walking doesn't make any sense. $2.5 or up and I think he'd take it. He'll find that somewhere else, but probably not a contender, and he's going to miss a lot of home time. But I can't blame him if that's what's on the table.

Will be interesting to see what happens with LaRose. If he was lowballed and goes it will be very disappointing.