The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

well it ain't on wral.com...so there. I don't believe a thing until I see something on this board or on the main website about it...maybe TSN as well. JR knows 2 mil is a slap in the face...he wouldn't do that.

Below is a portion of the interview with JR on wral.com website. Notice that no monies where discussed.......

He said he offered LaRose a three-year contract and Cole a two-year deal but did not give terms.

wow 2 mil cmon. That defines lowballing. Hopefully thats not true because thats embarassing. I was hoping somewhere between 2.5-2.75. Whats gonna happen with all the money Rutherford's saving anyway? Like way does he need to offer Cole and especially Larose so little? Is he planning on hitting the free agent market or did our greedy owner lower the self-imposed budget again?

"Carolina Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford said Tuesday night that free agents Chad LaRose and Erik Cole will test the free agent market and expressed disappointment they hadn't signed with Carolina."

I bet if Cole was offered a 2 million dollar deal JR would have put some incentive clauses in it to take the edge off of it. As stated on this board in other places the guy is losing his bargaining power with his play. The only way for him to get that power back is to play better in these tough economic times.

The guy has been underperforming for at least the past 3 years and if some team wants to give him 3 to 4 million I would rather save that money to take care of Cam next year. At the end of the season we heard we need to pick up a big physical winger and a stay at home defenseman. JR just never said when that would be. On the eve of FA I will be hoping that is tomorrow rather than August or later.

Chris Neil of Ottawa just became available...I like him as a feisty, hard-nosed guy who can score a few.

Its going to take about 2 million to sign him though. He turned down a 1.7 million dollar contact in Ottawa apparently.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283338''>http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283338' target="_blank">http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283338[/post]

So he lowballed Cole. Even with his decreased play, Cole was worth more than 2 million. Wouldn't be surprised for it to come out he did the same thing to LaRose.

I was hoping I would come home from dinner tonight and find Cole and/or LaRose signed. I thought a

lowball offer from JR for Cole would be 2.5 If I'm Cole I think I get the message and would test the waters. I don't think he will get 3 mil but I'll bet he gets an offer between 2.5 and 2.8 for at least 2 years. At least JR offered LaRose 3 years but at what price.

It looks like we go shopping for two wingers and a shut down Dman now.

So he lowballed Cole. Even with his decreased play, Cole was worth more than 2 million. Wouldn't be surprised for it to come out he did the same thing to LaRose.

I was hoping I would come home from dinner tonight and find Cole and/or LaRose signed. I thought a

lowball offer from JR for Cole would be 2.5 If I'm Cole I think I get the message and would test the waters. I don't think he will get 3 mil but I'll bet he gets an offer between 2.5 and 2.8 for at least 2 years. At least JR offered LaRose 3 years but at what price.

It looks like we go shopping for two wingers and a shut down Dman now.

What I want to know is what's going to happen in Tampa Bay. The Honeymoon is over, it looks like their getting a divorce, they've overspent on players... let's see if they go for that again. I'm not expecting JR to sign anyone tomorrow, or at all this first week. I'll be surprised if he does. Let's see what the Wings, Hossa, 'Guins, and everyone else does.

JR,

Ive been waiting all week for free agency to start. Please do SOMETHING.

This just in, JR has traded Cane Addict to Buffalo for future considerations!! lol

I bet if Cole was offered a 2 million dollar deal JR would have put some incentive clauses in it to take the edge off of it.
Unfortunately, at least from my understanding, the CBA only allows incentive clauses in three cases, none of which Cole is qualified for:

1) Entry level contracts

2) 1 year contracts with players 35 years old or older

3) 1 year contracts with players who have been injured (spent 100+ days on IR in the previous year, or something like that.)

On the radio yesterday there was a discussion on how the economy was affecting signing players in the NBA. I don't remember who was discussing it, but the comment was made that while the "big time" players weren't likely to be affected, players who would be expecting to get contracts in the $4 - 5 million range would instead be getting offers in the $2 - 2.5 range. If that is where NBA GMs heads are, then perhaps NHL GMs have that same mind-set, so it could make things a little difficult all the way around.

I don't have enough knowledge to judge the contracts that have been signed across the NHL so far to know if that is actually being seen, though. While you can argue that Jokinen had a rough season last year, he took a 20% pay cut for next year (with the following year showing just a 2% increase) - and it apparently took 4 weeks of negotiation to get there. I don't know how much of that is due to his performance last season, how much is his willingness to accept what he has to in order to stay, and how much is concern about the economy, but that seems a pretty significant pay cut.

Is anyone else growing tired of this franchise being cheap. Last year we made money because we actually won some games and made the playoffs. Instead of building on this momentum and making a run at the cup. J.R. and Karmanos are cheeping out again and this team and it's fans are going to suffer through another losing season because of it. Sure after next season we have a lot of contracts expiring and should have some cap space but it isn't like we have a stockpile of superstar prospects to take their place. This team is unwilling to sign the key player or players we need to win weather we have a bunch of cap space or not. I predict this team will continue to be mediocre under this ownership and unless something changes I.E. we draft a superstar player or two which we have not this year or last year. I don't expect Karmanos to break the bank but at the very least sign a player or two and make a couple of trades to help out Joni, Staal and Ward. The team is talking extension with Ward but if I were Ward I would be looking to test the market and go to a contender which we are far from.

Is anyone else growing tired of this franchise being cheap. Last year we made money because we actually won some games and made the playoffs. Instead of building on this momentum and making a run at the cup. J.R. and Karmanos are cheeping out again and this team and it's fans are going to suffer through another losing season because of it. Sure after next season we have a lot of contracts expiring and should have some cap space but it isn't like we have a stockpile of superstar prospects to take their place. This team is unwilling to sign the key player or players we need to win weather we have a bunch of cap space or not. I predict this team will continue to be mediocre under this ownership and unless something changes I.E. we draft a superstar player or two which we have not this year or last year. I don't expect Karmanos to break the bank but at the very least sign a player or two and make a couple of trades to help out Joni, Staal and Ward. The team is talking extension with Ward but if I were Ward I would be looking to test the market and go to a contender which we are far from.

You forget, while you are calling them cheap we also have the cheapest ticket prices in the league. I have yet to meet a player worth having my tickets go up for.

We're an hour into free agency. JR's not going to fail to do anything with the amount of budget room he has available. I'm sure we will make a few signings and/or trades.

Step back from the ledge. Like it or not, we are a small market franchise and won't be breaking the bank for marquee players (being cheap as you put it). But, don't expect JR to sit idle and do nothing either.

Mediocre? Are you serious? 3 ECF's, 2 SCF's and 1 Stanley Cup in this decade.

Not every team has the pockets to just sign players and hope they pan out. There are no guarantees when you sign a player that he is going to fit in your system. I don't want J.R. to go out and sign a player to a huge deal and then be unable to retain the key players we have because of cap issues.

Mediocre? Are you serious? 3 ECF's, 2 SCF's and 1 Stanley Cup in this decade.

Not every team has the pockets to just sign players and hope they pan out. There are no guarantees when you sign a player that he is going to fit in your system. I don't want J.R. to go out and sign a player to a huge deal and then be unable to retain the key players we have because of cap issues.

Most small market teams actually know how to make the most out of the draft as well. How many players did we have playing for this team last season that we actually drafted ? You have to do it one way or the other, build through the draft or sign/Trade for players that other teams have drafted.

Most small market teams actually know how to make the most out of the draft as well. How many players did we have playing for this team last season that we actually drafted ? You have to do it one way or the other, build through the draft or sign/Trade for players that other teams have drafted.

Well is your complaint about them being cheap or not drafting well? I'm confused.