The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

MAn Zanon just signed with the Wild for alittle over 1.7 mil a season for 3 seasons. Come on JR. He is better than Wallin.

1.7?! Thats it?! Man..we could afford that... We really need a guy like him..

MAn Zanon just signed with the Wild for alittle over 1.7 mil a season for 3 seasons. Come on JR. He is better than Wallin.

Matt Walker also signed for 1.7 a year.......in Tampa. I would have loved either one of them.

More news on LaRose: Rutherford says it's 'time to move on'

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said Wednesday night that it now appears unlikely free agent forward Chad LaRose would be signed to a new contract.

Rutherford said he had been in discussions with LaRose's agent, Patrick Morris of Newport Sports Management, throughout the day. There were hopes LaRose would accept a three-year contract being offered.

"It's not going to happen," Rutherford said Wednesday night. "I informed (Morris) that we had another deal we were working on, that I was giving him a courtesy call. He said he would run everything by Chad and call back in an hour. I waited but they never called back.

"Obviously they have a deal somewhere else. So we're working on signing another free agent. It's time to move on."

Rutherford did not say which player the Canes might be talking to.

LaRose earned $875,000 last season, scoring a career-high 19 goals.

Link

Well is your complaint about them being cheap or not drafting well? I'm confused.

It doesn't take much, to confuse you I mean. I am just saying if we don't draft well we have to spend money. If we don't draft any players or sign any players we won't have much of a team will we.

More news on LaRose: Rutherford says it's 'time to move on'

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said Wednesday night that it now appears unlikely free agent forward Chad LaRose would be signed to a new contract.

Rutherford said he had been in discussions with LaRose's agent, Patrick Morris of Newport Sports Management, throughout the day. There were hopes LaRose would accept a three-year contract being offered.

"It's not going to happen," Rutherford said Wednesday night. "I informed (Morris) that we had another deal we were working on, that I was giving him a courtesy call. He said he would run everything by Chad and call back in an hour. I waited but they never called back.

"Obviously they have a deal somewhere else. So we're working on signing another free agent. It's time to move on."

Rutherford did not say which player the Canes might be talking to.

LaRose earned $875,000 last season, scoring a career-high 19 goals.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-time-to-move-on' target="_blank">Link[/post]

Its sad to see Larose go.. I think we all liked him..But I am excited about who Rutherford might be talking to.. I wonder who it is! Who do yall think it might be?!

There are a couple low-cost D men I think would look great in a Canes sweater... the first is Jeff Woywitka, just non-tendered bt STL, and the other is Ole Kristian Tollefsen, formerly of Columbus.... I think Woywitka is a bit in the mold of a Hedican/Wesley type, which the Canes drastically missed last year, while Tollefsen, to me, is a poor man's COmmodore, with a bit of a nasty streak - something else we miss on D. And, the pair could probably be had for the price of Seidenberg. Just my two cents! Dave

Really waht is JR doing? He pays Cole the money he wants then doesnt want to pay Larose. Then doesnt go get a Zanon or another Dman that has been pretty cheap that would improve the club. Why?

Mark Recchi anyone? Maybe? I dunno.. I'm not even really sure what all forwards are left in free agency.. And we really need to pick up a dman too.. Come on JR..

It doesn't take much, to confuse you I mean. I am just saying if we don't draft well we have to spend money. If we don't draft any players or sign any players we won't have much of a team will we.

I'll admit I'm a little slow, but you called this organization mediocre. You did complain about being cheap and then went to the draft which has nothing to do with resigning or signing free agents.

Mediocre organizations don't see the ECF's and SCF's three times in 7 years. Yes, we have cap space to have signed one of those big names, but there is a budget that J.R. has to work within. If we'd all like to chip in for higher ticket prices or make sure all the games are sold out, then you'd have an arguement about being cheap. It's a business dude. An owner can't just spend tons and tons more than he takes in and with the current economic issues he sure isn't going to over extend now.

I complain as much or more than the next guy when I don't think the team is doing it's best. I do think we have a fan base that has an unreal expectation of success based on what this team has done in 11 years in Carolina. At least you are right in saying it doesn't take much to confuse me, you did it.

Really waht is JR doing? He pays Cole the money he wants then doesnt want to pay Larose. Then doesnt go get a Zanon or another Dman that has been pretty cheap that would improve the club. Why?

Apparently he is looking to keep Kaberle instead of buying him out, which is surprising. I was convinced Kabs was headed for a buyout then to the KHL. Wallin is also locked up for one more year with an NTC he won't waive. He'll get a cheap filler in the 1.2 range, or use a Rat, most likely.

I believe it isn't really over yet, that we are still hearing posturing from JR - I doubt LaRose has an offer yet - but if LaRose ends up leaving, it makes me start to wonder if there isn't something going on there we don't know about. Either JR is lowballing him, or Rosie has an oversized view of his value.

I knew this would happen it always does... I can't wait to hear what the offer was... I am pretty Pi$$3d right now... Chad brought more to this team than points... he brought energy to every line and played his butt off every shift!!! I hope he gets a killer deal somewhere else... HEY ROSIE nobody shoots the shorty like you...as for who JR is trying to make a deal with look at the options left...you snooze you lose... and as for getting Staal a "winger" I'm really sick of hearing how he "needs" one geeze he's the highest paid player on the team he needs to act like it and play like it...his team mates are expected to and do/some for a third of his money... Very disappointed about the newes today... hopefully we can fill the holes...which I hope do not turn out to be huge...

Apparently he is looking to keep Kaberle instead of buying him out, which is surprising. I was convinced Kabs was headed for a buyout then to the KHL. Wallin is also locked up for one more year with an NTC he won't waive. He'll get a cheap filler in the 1.2 range, or use a Rat, most likely.

I believe it isn't really over yet, that we are still hearing posturing from JR - I doubt LaRose has an offer yet - but if LaRose ends up leaving, it makes me start to wonder if there isn't something going on there we don't know about. Either JR is lowballing him, or Rosie has an oversized view of his value.

Buying out Kabs won't save enough money to sign the guy we need. Wallin has every right not to waive his NTC. LaRose has every right to see what the market will bear before signing a deal with the Canes. Maybe somebody else has an oversized view of his value. If it were you, wouldn't you do the same?

There are still a lot of good players available. Havlat, Antropov, Scuderi, Tanguay off the top of my head. We could grab one of them and then losing LaRose wouldn't sting as much.

Buying out Kabs won't save enough money to sign the guy we need. Wallin has every right not to waive his NTC. LaRose has every right to see what the market will bear before signing a deal with the Canes. Maybe somebody else has an oversized view of his value. If it were you, wouldn't you do the same?

You're preaching to the choir. :) It looks like the Kabs buyout option is too dear for JR. I'm actually glad, I like Kabs, and I think he played well when given the chance this year. JR may yet surprise with a move there, but fine with me if not. Same with Wallin.

I don't know the numbers, so I don't know what I'd do if I were Chad. If I were getting numbers from JR in the 1.2 - 1.4 range, yeah I'd definitely look elsewhere. If they were in the 1.6 and up range, I'd look for my pen, especially for 3 years.

I'll admit I'm a little slow, but you called this organization mediocre. You did complain about being cheap and then went to the draft which has nothing to do with resigning or signing free agents.

Mediocre organizations don't see the ECF's and SCF's three times in 7 years. Yes, we have cap space to have signed one of those big names, but there is a budget that J.R. has to work within. If we'd all like to chip in for higher ticket prices or make sure all the games are sold out, then you'd have an arguement about being cheap. It's a business dude. An owner can't just spend tons and tons more than he takes in and with the current economic issues he sure isn't going to over extend now.

I complain as much or more than the next guy when I don't think the team is doing it's best. I do think we have a fan base that has an unreal expectation of success based on what this team has done in 11 years in Carolina. At least you are right in saying it doesn't take much to confuse me, you did it.

Exactly. The reason we've seen 3 ECFs, 2 Cup Finals, and 1 SC in 7 years is that, much more often than not, JR doesn't over spend to keep players. He doesn't bat 100% - no GM does - but we've done a heck of a job avoiding albatross contracts. And if Chad LaRose is out there looking for 2-3 million/year for 3-4 years, that's simply too much for what he brings to the table. I love Cole at 2 years, $2.9M. I'd hate him at 4 years, $4M. Every player stands to be a bargain, and every player could ruin your franchise if you sign them to the wrong deal. It's not a matter of finding the right player....you've got to find the right player at the right price. JR gets this better than about 24 or 25 of the other GMs out there.

Wow, Scuderi did try the market huh? Be nice to get him.

I always wanted Zanon on this team..but you are right, Scuderi would be great.. I hope it happens..

I think JR (if he can) should try and sign Scuderi and Recchi. That way he would have this..

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-Recchi

Samsonov-Brindy-Jokinen

Walker-Sutter-Eaves

Corvo-Gleason

Pitkanen-Scuderi

Wallin-Babchuk

I know, I'm not sure if Recchi should be on the second line either, but I don't really want to move Eaves or Jokinen up..I think Brindy and Jokinen play too good together. And I'm not sure if we should call up Sutter to only play on the fourth line.. Just some ideas. I like the idea of signing Recchi for a one year deal, because this team is probably going to be changing a lot in a year anyway.. Just some ideas..

I doubt LaRose has a hugely over inflated view of himself. My guess is that he realizes he's Chad LaRose, not Eric Staal. The difference between $8M over 5 years and $6M over 5 years is trivial. Guys like Eric Staal sign several life altering deals. Meanwhile, guys like Chad LaRose work their entire lives to get into position to sign one big deal. This is his chance, and he's taking it. I cannot and will not blame him for that.

I'll never forget something I heard LaRose say in an interview a few years ago when the announcer asked him why he skated so hard on every shift. His reply essentially was that "I'm lucky to be here. Every single shift I skate in the NHL could be my last. I'm a nobody. I've got to fight and scrap for every shift, every minute of ice time I get. So I'm literally skating every shift like it could be my last, because it may be."

I'll never forget something I heard LaRose say in an interview a few years ago when the announcer asked him why he skated so hard on every shift. His reply essentially was that "I'm lucky to be here. Every single shift I skate in the NHL could be my last. I'm a nobody. I've got to fight and scrap for every shift, every minute of ice time I get. So I'm literally skating every shift like it could be my last, because it may be."

AND this is why he plays like he does...and why we should have tried to keep him <_< He is not a big headed star just a hard working player who loves the game.. I'm holding out hoping he either signs here and stays home or goes BIG ;)

I doubt LaRose has a hugely over inflated view of himself. My guess is that he realizes he's Chad LaRose, not Eric Staal. The difference between $8M over 5 years and $6M over 5 years is trivial. Guys like Eric Staal sign several life altering deals. Meanwhile, guys like Chad LaRose work their entire lives to get into position to sign one big deal. This is his chance, and he's taking it. I cannot and will not blame him for that.

I hear you, and I agree. I think the real sticker here is JR, for some reason. Surprising considering that Rosie came up through Karmanos' youth program and has been with the organization his whole career, and has grown so much along the way. And it's hard to believe they could be very far apart. Yes this team would survive and may well thrive without LaRose, but it wouldn't be the same. And on a personal note, my undersized-for-his-age son is a huge fan, and I'd hate this for him too. Like I said, I'm still believing it isn't over yet...

I wouldn't count on LaRose anymore. His agent couldn't even call JR back, that's a big no no. JR sounded pretty pissed about that. I wonder who he is talking to as a replacement.