The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Please stop mentioning Mark Recchi everybody...what a joke. He's ok but we're going in a different direction now...at least I hope we are.

And also let's not freak out over LaRose. Solid player, but his ceiling has been reached. As so many have mentioned, LaRose IS replaceable, whether he knows it or not.

JR will come through...he always does. Nothing flashy, but just comes through.

I wouldn't count on LaRose anymore. His agent couldn't even call JR back, that's a big no no. JR sounded pretty pissed about that. I wonder who he is talking to as a replacement.

We thought JR lowballed Cole too and that a bridge had been burned down there. LaRose isn't necessarily gone yet; his agent is just trying to keep a straight poker face against one of the best GMs in the league.

JR will come through...he always does. Nothing flashy, but just comes through.

Not always. He has in the past, but again, let's not forget about Jeff Hamilton and Josef Melichar. I trust JR, but I'm hoping he makes some good moves here.

Wait maybe JR is trying to help Rosie out... Maybe he is trying to get Rosie a better deal by letting everyone think he is looking elsewhere... :huh: Yeah I know very funny...

I hear you, and I agree. I think the real sticker here is JR, for some reason. Surprising considering that Rosie came up through Karmanos' youth program and has been with the organization his whole career, and has grown so much along the way. And it's hard to believe they could be very far apart. Yes this team would survive and may well thrive without LaRose, but it wouldn't be the same. And on a personal note, my undersized-for-his-age son is a huge fan, and I'd hate this for him too. Like I said, I'm still believing it isn't over yet...

^This. I don't believe that Rosey is asking for a Staal sized paycheck so I am left wondering what the sticking point is. This team will do fine without him (as it would without just about anyone else currently on the team), but like you said, it won't be the same. I'm holding out hope that they will figure something out, although the agent not returning JR's call isn't a good sign.

How many times are we going to hear in 24 hours that LaRose won't be signed? JR should move on.

See, even JR hasnt convinced himself. We'll be hearing about it till we get confirmation that LaRose has officially signed elsewhere.

See, even JR hasnt convinced himself. We'll be hearing about it till we get confirmation that LaRose has officially signed elsewhere.

Well regardless, this is becoming a wedding gone bad.

I think a lot of it may have to do with LaRose being a fan favorite here and JR knowing that he's a fan favorite here. He may have to repeat himself just so it sinks in.

One thing I don't like about the free agency period is you rarely get to hear from the player in situations like this. You hear a lot from the GM, who's obviously going to twist the event in a favorable light towards himself. Obviously, the player would twist it to his point of view, but maybe if we got both sides of the story, we might be able to piece together some sort of truth.

I will say one thing. Loyalty is becoming a lost factor in FA/trades these days. Boyle signs a long-term deal with the Lightning, but he's forced to waive his NTC almost the next day because Tampa management screwed up. And then there's the whole Havlat thing that went on today. He wants a decent sized contract, long term, with the team he's been loyal to. They say they don't have the money, then go and spend money on Hossa instead.

I just did a little digging to find out more about Larose's agent, and from what I can tell he has a good one. He's known as a very stiff negotiator, so these "positioning" games JR is playing are being played right back at him, but from his list of clients I can tell that Chad is in good hands and he will get the right deal for him, hopefully that is with us, but he has played well and earned the right to negotiate with other teams and he is doing that. No fault in that.

we all love rosey and want him to stay, this is far from old news.. hope looms eternal!

Usually the saying is "Hope blooms eternal"

I hope the looms part doesn't come into effect.

Usually the saying is "Hope blooms eternal"

I hope the looms part doesn't come into effect.

Man, all this hand wringing. You would think that people would remember past years. Never say never with Rutherford. "Not optimistic" may mean we are close to a deal.

No more than 1.8 to 2 for Larose.

Really waht is JR doing? He pays Cole the money he wants then doesnt want to pay Larose. Then doesnt go get a Zanon or another Dman that has been pretty cheap that would improve the club. Why?

you don't know what JR offered and what Rosie wants. if most of us are correct and JR offered $1.5mil that most of think he is worth but LaRose is asking $6mil that all his fans think he is worth then yes they are going to be a way off.

On the flip side, LaRose may have asked for a reasonable contract, something like 6 million over 3 years, weighted towards the backend (1.75, 2, 2.25), and JR countered with 3.6 over 3 years (1.2 per year)

and in the end no one really knows. We thought Cole was lowballed and wasn't, we were all about 300,000 to 500,000 off what we thought he was worth.

I wonder how much money is WASTED on an agent. Maybe if the guys would negotiate their own contract they wouldn't have to take the agents cut into consideration!!

:blink::blink: Just a thought :huh:

I wonder how much money is WASTED on an agent. Maybe if the guys would negotiate their own contract they wouldn't have to take the agents cut into consideration!!

:blink::blink: Just a thought :huh:

most of the players don't have the legal background to understand some of the contracts out there. Not that I am a big fan of agents but they do serve a purpose.

Rutherford offered chad 1.4, 1.4, 1.4. He was willing to go up a smidge. I know this for a fact and I wouldnt have called back either if I was Larose especially after over paying Colsey.

Rutherford offered chad 1.4, 1.4, 1.4. He was willing to go up a smidge. I know this for a fact and I wouldnt have called back either if I was Larose especially after over paying Colsey.

hmmm interesting. Thats about what I figure we would offer him. He can prolly get more elsewhere though.

Where does this information come from?

As far as Rosie not calling back, that offer isn't too far off what has been discussed on this board. I was thinking that 1.75 would be the high end so it looks like if those numbers are right, there is room to negotiate (or at least make a phone call).

A smidge is not 375,000. I know this because he told somebody who told me. And they did call back but Rutherford said it was too late they moved on to find someone else. Im not saying he is worth a lot more than that but I do believe 1.75 would have been a respectable offer.

A smidge is not 375,000. I know this because he told somebody who told me. And they did call back but Rutherford said it was too late they moved on to find someone else. Im not saying he is worth a lot more than that but I do believe 1.75 would have been a respectable offer.

To you and me, 375k isn't a smidge, but to J.R. it should be ball park enough to negotiate.

Since JR is claiming to be talking to a free agent in place of Larose, I decided to speculate since I have the day off:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/

Brad Isbister $525,000 in 09. Good size at 6'4 225. Physical. Could be a replacement for Larose but would be a great replacement for Bayda. Downside - only scored 6 goals last year.

Taylor Pyatt $1,575,000 in 09. Luke mentioned him in his blog this morning which is why I am listing him here. This guy is massive at 6'4 230 and can bring a physical presence. Scored 10 goals last year, but for the money not sure if he is what we are looking for.

Ryan Clowe $1,600,000 in 09. 6'2 225. Rumors were the Sharks were trying to trade him. Has since been qualified by the Sharks but is exactly what we need in my opinion. Big, physical, strong on the puck, and can score ~20 goals at a reasonable contract. Would have to trade for him, but could be a good addition depending on what we have to give up.

Stephane Veilleux $862,500 in 09. 6'1 188. Can be physical despite being a little underweight. Scored 13 goals for the defensive minded Wild in 09. Probably good for 10-15 goals per season. Reasonable for the money.