The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

If JR offered $4.2 mil over three, I'd see that as a lowball offer, epecially with no escalation. $5 mil over three would seem a decent minimum.

What about getting Versteeg from Chicago? What have been good trade partners with them of late.

With as bad as our D is looking right now, I would go with signing a top 4. Who is really left though? JR let some real cheap ones go that would have been great yesterday. Scuderi? I would also look into getting Phaneuf from Calgary. They have a lot of salary tied into Dmen right now. Corvo plus for him. That would cut them about 4 mil in cap space. Would be expensive for us but, he is a great young Dman and its not like we arent clearing a *edit* load of salary next season.

Since JR is claiming to be talking to a free agent in place of Larose, I decided to speculate since I have the day off:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/' target="_blank">http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/[/post]

Brad Isbister $525,000 in 09. Good size at 6'4 225. Physical. Could be a replacement for Larose but would be a great replacement for Bayda. Downside - only scored 6 goals last year.

Taylor Pyatt $1,575,000 in 09. Luke mentioned him in his blog this morning which is why I am listing him here. This guy is massive at 6'4 230 and can bring a physical presence. Scored 10 goals last year, but for the money not sure if he is what we are looking for.

Ryan Clowe $1,600,000 in 09. 6'2 225. Rumors were the Sharks were trying to trade him. Has since been qualified by the Sharks but is exactly what we need in my opinion. Big, physical, strong on the puck, and can score ~20 goals at a reasonable contract. Would have to trade for him, but could be a good addition depending on what we have to give up.

Stephane Veilleux $862,500 in 09. 6'1 188. Can be physical despite being a little underweight. Scored 13 goals for the defensive minded Wild in 09. Probably good for 10-15 goals per season. Reasonable for the money.

Where is Luke's blog? I didn't see it on the N and O website. Well, I saw it but nothing on FAs.

Where is Luke's blog? I didn't see it on the N and O website. Well, I saw it but nothing on FAs.

Here you are:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/the-nhl-soap-opera-day-2' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/the-n...oap-opera-day-2[/post]

He also mentions the Canes and Antopov... but Antropov will now be playing for the Thrashers apparently ($4mil for 4 years)

Rutherford offered chad 1.4, 1.4, 1.4. He was willing to go up a smidge. I know this for a fact and I wouldnt have called back either if I was Larose especially after over paying Colsey.

Actually that's exactly what he's worth. I was thinking no more than $1.5M for him, maybe up it to 1.75M the last year or two on his contract.

And calling something back is common courtesy even if the answer is no. If you are looking for a job and don't call HR back to inform them you aren't interested, word gets out. Just sayin.

most of the players don't have the legal background to understand some of the contracts out there. Not that I am a big fan of agents but they do serve a purpose.

Yeah that i understand,, but if you have 2 honest people doing the negotiations you should be able to work it out,,I know all owners/GM"S aren't that but for the most part seems like it's the agents that cause all the animosity.

"A smidge is not 375,000. I know this because he told somebody who told me. And they did call back but Rutherford said it was too late they moved on to find someone else."

If this is true now I am really pi$$3d :angry: I don't care who JR gets at this point... they will not play with the heart and drive Rosie brings to this team...There were many times during the season that our "high end" players were being totally out played by the "low end" player. If Rosie is not in a Carolina sweater next season I hope he gets a "kiss my a$$ deal" somewhere...

Taylor Pyatt $1,575,000 in 09. Luke mentioned him in his blog this morning which is why I am listing him here. This guy is massive at 6'4 230 and can bring a physical presence. Scored 10 goals last year, but for the money not sure if he is what we are looking for.

If we are looking for a LaRose replacement, Pyatt is the perfect guy. He can do everything LaRose can do and his skill set is a smidge better. He also fits JRs mold for what he is looking for these days: Size and Grit.

He also works out with Staal in the offseason, so there's that as well.

Here you are:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/the-nhl-soap-opera-day-2' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/the-n...oap-opera-day-2[/post]

He also mentions the Canes and Antopov... but Antropov will now be playing for the Thrashers apparently ($4mil for 4 years)

Thanks. I agree with what all have said on Pyatt...watched him with Vancouver, I think...solid player who's been around a while. Although I do believe he lost his wife in some terrible accident...was tough to see happen.

Not sure if you guys saw this, but Recchi signed with Boston for 1yr/1mil....seems like a really good deal to me and something we could have done.

Since JR is claiming to be talking to a free agent in place of Larose, I decided to speculate since I have the day off:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/' target="_blank">http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/[/post]

Brad Isbister $525,000 in 09. Good size at 6'4 225. Physical. Could be a replacement for Larose but would be a great replacement for Bayda. Downside - only scored 6 goals last year.

Ryan Clowe $1,600,000 in 09. 6'2 225. Rumors were the Sharks were trying to trade him. Has since been qualified by the Sharks but is exactly what we need in my opinion. Big, physical, strong on the puck, and can score ~20 goals at a reasonable contract. Would have to trade for him, but could be a good addition depending on what we have to give up.

Stephane Veilleux $862,500 in 09. 6'1 188. Can be physical despite being a little underweight. Scored 13 goals for the defensive minded Wild in 09. Probably good for 10-15 goals per season. Reasonable for the money.

I could deal with having Ryan Clowe in a canes sweater. I like that guy.

Which would people prefer JR to sign, a first line winger for Staal or a top 4 physical shut down defensemen? I for one am leaning more towards picking up a top 4 defensemen.

To me it's the top winger hands down. Otherwise it is clear that JR want Cole to be that guy. Cole was that guy, but has not been that guy since his injury. We are gradually losing our reliable scoring up front. As long as we sign Babchuk we have enough offensive dmen, we just need a solid stay at home guy to fill that out.

Of course the odds of JR finding that winger...I'm pretty skeptical. That's a tall order and JR is better at surprisingly good small orders.

Along with Recchi, I think we should have targeted Knuble for that price instead of allowing the 'Caps to pick him up...and having a guy like Brashear for 1.4 couldn't have heard. All in all, im dissapointed so far. While I agree that going after big names, especially ones that are oft-injured (Gaborik), pressure could have easily been taken off Staal by signing someone like a Knuble or help in our own end like Zanon -- they were within our budget. Our SE division foes only got stronger yesterday and we stood idly. We didn't win that banner last year.

Along with Recchi, I think we should have targeted Knuble for that price instead of allowing the 'Caps to pick him up...and having a guy like Brashear for 1.4 couldn't have heard. All in all, im dissapointed so far. While I agree that going after big names, especially ones that are oft-injured (Gaborik), pressure could have easily been taken off Staal by signing someone like a Knuble or help in our own end like Zanon -- they were within our budget. Our SE division foes only got stronger yesterday and we stood idly. We didn't win that banner last year.

I would have to agree with you here. Lets hope this mystery guy JR is talking to can bring it.

Not only this but in Luke's blog he mentioned that JR wasn't even considering a guy like Beauchemin to help put our D-corps over the top. I had to take a second look at that statement because it's not like Beauchemin is asking for 5 mil a year or something...JR just doesn't wanna pull that trigger for anybody this season.

But again I'll stick by him...just have to wait and see what happens.

Though we have no money to spend, we need to do something...yes we got some 'soon to be all-star 18 year olds' but i doubt they have the talent of the players up for grabs right now, seems like every team but us, are getting more and more players, and the teams that didn't even reach the playoffs last year, are building amazing teams, that will be a threat to us, i'm not saying we don't have that ability, but i think more experienced players wouldn't hurt at all.. we should jump on the topic while it lasts...

Not sure if you guys saw this, but Recchi signed with Boston for 1yr/1mil....seems like a really good deal to me and something we could have done.

Recchi is 41. I think we want to stay on the younger side with our FA signings.

I agree that we're watching our division foes strengthen their roster yesterday. However, you also have to look at who these teams have lost. Is Washington better with Knuble but without Kozlov or Fedorov (both to KHL)? I don't think Knuble balances the equation for them. The same with Florida; they lost JBo and picked up Ohlund, but I'm not sure they're better for it.

I think yesterday we saw teams fill holes left by departures. So far we don't technically have any departures. Seids hasn't signed, LaRose hasn't signed. Do I want to see us strengthen a team that couldn't even win 1 game in the ECFs? Yes. But I'm not sure that JR is going to do that in July.

You also have to take an account that said player wants to play here. How do we know that Knuble even wanted to come here. He said he took Washington's offer b/c they are a team who is a threat and has won the division the last 2 years. Said they struggled like Pittsburgh but now they are a team who is at the top of the conference. And they are likely going to slot him with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Who wouldn't go there?

As for Brashear, $1.4M per for a guy who gets 6 minutes a night. Sorry the dude has no skills at all and is only good for a fight. We aren't paying a guy $1.4M to fight.

For some that missed it Nik Antropov signed in Atlanta for 4 years $16 million. I might have taken a look at Nik if I were JR.

I would not be remotely interested in Antropov at $4M/year for 4 years.

Not only this but in Luke's blog he mentioned that JR wasn't even considering a guy like Beauchemin to help put our D-corps over the top. I had to take a second look at that statement because it's not like Beauchemin is asking for 5 mil a year or something...JR just doesn't wanna pull that trigger for anybody this season.

Beauchemin was asking for 4.5, still pretty close to $5 mil and way out of our budget. He is decent, but let's face it he's never been playing against the other team's top lines, Pronger and Niedermeyer were.

What Im hoping JR means with that statement is that he isnt going into the FA market for the top 4 shut down defenseman. Hopefully he wil be looking for one via trade, instead because that's the only way I see us having cap room* for one. (* according to PK's cap, not NHL cap)

Maybe I've missed something, but has anyone heard anything about Ruutu? Last I heard, we offered him the QO, but nothing's come of it since then. And if I remember from last season, LaRose and Ruutu have the same agent. Could that be a factor?