The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Beauchemin was asking for 4.5, still pretty close to $5 mil and way out of our budget. He is decent, but let's face it he's never been playing against the other team's top lines, Pronger and Niedermeyer were.

What Im hoping JR means with that statement is that he isnt going into the FA market for the top 4 shut down defenseman. Hopefully he wil be looking for one via trade, instead because that's the only way I see us having cap room* for one. (* according to PK's cap, not NHL cap)

Oh I had no idea he wanted that much haha...whoopsss.

Maybe I've missed something, but has anyone heard anything about Ruutu? Last I heard, we offered him the QO, but nothing's come of it since then. And if I remember from last season, LaRose and Ruutu have the same agent. Could that be a factor?

it is my understanding that things are progressing fine with Ruutu.

Wow, day 2 follows up the active day 1 with a resounding... snore.

After all the fireworks yesterday, the best that's been done today is Antropov to Atlanta (overpaid) and an unconfirmed Scuderi to LA (overpaid).

I didn't realize the firehose was going to turn into a trickle quite so quickly. I imagine not much happening over the US holiday weekend... there are still quite a few good players out there.

Yeah, after JR qualifies Ruutu, he can take his time and negotiate a fair deal. No pressure as there is plenty of time before training camp to get Ruutu signed.

Personally, I don't think JR should try to replace LaRose via Free Agency. I truly believe that between Bowman/Sutter/Boychuk that ONE of them can pick up the slack left behind by LaRose. I hope JR is going to focus on getting a defenseman in here. I want a top line winger as much as anybody... but at the prices guys are signing at, it ain't going to happen. Hopefully JR can sign a good defender at a reasonable price. The team could lose Babchuk as well, if JR can't negotiate a deal. That would leave an even bigger hole on defense.

I would love for Rosey to come back, but I wouldn't go above 1.5 per year. If we have to go after a FA with some money left over then I think logically we'd need to trade for a defenseman. We have some potentially great forwards in our system who could be ready next year and money coming off the books in order to go after a big time forward as well. I think we can address our D situation either through FA (I have no idea who may be left though, I think we shot ourselves in the foot here) or a trade and then giving the d-man an extension.

Rosie will sign for same deal as jokinen

Good call, 3 minutes before Chip too!

LaRose signs 2-year contract

Canes forward Chad LaRose has signed a two-year contract that will pay him $1.5 million next year and $1.9 million in the second season, general manager Jim Rutherford said today.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/larose-signs-2-year-contract' target="_blank">Link[/post]

Alright Rosies back, now lets go find us a legit first line winger via trade and a D man and try this all again next year. :D

I seriously doubt we will be getting any 1st line winger now. We just spent 4.3 on LaRose and Cole for next year, if anyone is added it will be a defenseman. Also I don't know who we have to trade for a forward, besides prospects, and I hope we don't trade them.

Good call, 3 minutes before Chip too!

LaRose signs 2-year contract

Canes forward Chad LaRose has signed a two-year contract that will pay him $1.5 million next year and $1.9 million in the second season, general manager Jim Rutherford said today.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/larose-signs-2-year-contract' target="_blank">Link[/post]

Alright! Now that I can get behind. But I do fear that JR thinks that first line winger is Cole.

Alright! Now that I can get behind. But I do fear that JR thinks that first line winger is Cole.

That's what I think too, now with Ruutu our only forward left to sign, we've kept the forwards in tact and we will most likely see the same lineup next year. The defense is the focus now, replacing Seids and at this point it looks like Babs too.

I seriously doubt we will be getting any 1st line winger now. We just spent 4.3 on LaRose and Cole for next year, if anyone is added it will be a defenseman. Also I don't know who we have to trade for a forward, besides prospects, and I hope we don't trade them.

Agreed. I am glad Rosey signed, great news.

Thats great news about Larose.. So, how much money do we have left and who is left in FA? We probably should pick up a dman and one more forward. Gotta replace Seids and Bayda..Right?, whether it be from FA or trade.. Although, i'm not sure who we would trade. What do you guys think?

We need Ruutu. He and LaRose were two reliable sources of energy throughout the season and the playoffs. I've always been a Cole fan but the dude disappeared in the playoffs. I sure hope his lousy Oilers stint and lackluster time with us in the playoffs is no indication of what we have to look forward to.

Ugh, I'm looking at the defense now, and we could be in trouble.

Pitkanen

Gleason

Corvo

Alright, good so far...

Kaberle

Wallin

Conboy

Carson

Rodney

McBain

Oh boy. We need to either retain Babchuk or make a move for another Top 4 defenseman, because we're in trouble if we have any of the above in that Top 4.

Ugh, I'm looking at the defense now, and we could be in trouble.

Pitkanen

Gleason

Corvo

Alright, good so far...

Kaberle

Wallin

Conboy

Carson

Rodney

McBain

Oh boy. We need to either retain Babchuk or make a move for another Top 4 defenseman, because we're in trouble if we have any of the above in that Top 4.

Couldn't agree with you more.. And I think JR knows this.. I don't think Babchuk is a top 4 dman tho.. So, do you think he will go to FA or trade?

You're pretty convinced that Babchuk is a top 4 dman?

Apparently Frog has found Michael Jackson's secret stash and has been helping himself to the contents. ;)

But we do need another top 4 dman. What we have to offer is Seids plus Babs pay, which is $2.2 mil. That's if we don't unload someone else as part of the process. Not sure if there's much else out there in FA land. Umm, Seids is still available last I checked though. :)

Is there any chance in hell we will sign a legit enforcer? I would even settle for Wade Brookbank again, but Tim Conboy is not going to cut it. Granted, I love the guy - he brings 110%, is willing to stick up for his teammates, and don't really take any *edit* - but HE IS NOT a legit enforcer. Whats going to happen when Orr picks a fight with Conboy? What about Brasher or Boogaard? Conboy has won ONE fight in the NHL and that was against a tired, and at the end of his shift, Vandermeer. Maybe I think too much like Brian Burke and like the physical side of the game versus the European style of hockey, but I am truly concerned with the toughness aspect of the team. We have not gotten bigger, tougher, or anything for that matter and potentially signing one new big defenseman isn't going to suddenly make the Carolina Hurricanes the Philadelphia Flyers.

We are now going to face Carcillo, Pronger, Laperriere, and Matt Walker on a regular basis and Conboy is not cut out to fight any one of them if the need arises. Sure Gleason and Walker could take them, but having Gleason sitting in the box is not going to help us. Having Walker out for months with a broken hand as a result of a fight is going to put us in a bad spot too.

Any thoughts on the lack of team toughness that - YET AGAIN - is not being addressed thus far this off season.

That's what I think too, now with Ruutu our only forward left to sign, we've kept the forwards in tact and we will most likely see the same lineup next year. The defense is the focus now, replacing Seids and at this point it looks like Babs too.

Sounds like Babs will be back. I think we're likely to go with one of the young'ins instead of signing an FA to replace Seids.

I also suspect we'll see some interesting things happening on the lines, unless the expectation is that Boychuck, Bowman and Sutter need another year of seasoning in the AHL. If that's the case, then I think things will shake out like this:

Whitney - Staal - Cole

LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves

Conboy - Jokinen - Walker

With Jokinen, Cole and LaRose all signing 2 year deals, and Brindy having 2 years left on his deal, you can see where JR is going with this. This is the team that will get 2 more seasons, with tweaks here and there, to get the Cup back in Raleigh. Otherwise, by 2011 we'll be seeing a younger, re-building Canes team hitting the ice.

I guess it really depends on Babs. If he goes to Russia with love, does his salary count against us? (I know, I should of been reading up on this, sorry)...

if no, then his and what would of been Seids money can be put together for a top 4 defenseman. Otherwise.... :o