The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Sounds like Babs will be back. I think we're likely to go with one of the young'ins instead of signing an FA to replace Seids.

I also suspect we'll see some interesting things happening on the lines, unless the expectation is that Boychuck, Bowman and Sutter need another year of seasoning in the AHL. If that's the case, then I think things will shake out like this:

Whitney - Staal - Cole

LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves

Conboy - Jokinen - Walker

With Jokinen, Cole and LaRose all signing 2 year deals, and Brindy having 2 years left on his deal, you can see where JR is going with this. This is the team that will get 2 more seasons, with tweaks here and there, to get the Cup back in Raleigh. Otherwise, by 2011 we'll be seeing a younger, re-building Canes team hitting the ice.

I'm looking at our forwards, and I'm thinking there will be a trade before camp. If either Eaves or Walker are on the 4th line, they should be traded... no use sitting their contracts on the 4th line wasting money that could be used to bring in a defenseman. I like Walker AND Eaves... but if they're going to be used as 4th line guys, send them somewhere else for a defenseman. A couple rats can handle 4th line duty.

Congrats on Chad's new contract. He's a millionaire now... I guess it's fair since it's the same deal Jokinen got. I hope he continues to improve like he has thus far.

Whats going to happen when Orr picks a fight with Conboy? What about Brasher or Boogaard?

He'll fight them and probably lose. Big deal. We can still win the game.

i would be happy if canes would get beauchemin or backman on d

as for forwards, tanguay is a long shot for us... the guy made over 5 mil last year

there arent any free agents left that would play a 1st line role

with carolina havin the reputation of gettin players to be at their best, bertuzzi would add some size up front. The guy made under 2 mil last year... but not sure where he would fit in our lineup... what do u guys think

I'm looking at our forwards, and I'm thinking there will be a trade before camp. If either Eaves or Walker are on the 4th line, they should be traded... no use sitting their contracts on the 4th line wasting money that could be used to bring in a defenseman. I like Walker AND Eaves... but if they're going to be used as 4th line guys, send them somewhere else for a defenseman. A couple rats can handle 4th line duty.

Congrats on Chad's new contract. He's a millionaire now... I guess it's fair since it's the same deal Jokinen got. I hope he continues to improve like he has thus far.

Walker has a NTC.

Man, all this hand wringing. You would think that people would remember past years. Never say never with Rutherford. "Not optimistic" may mean we are close to a deal.

No more than 1.8 to 2 for Larose.

Well that hand wringing episode is over at 1.7 Avg. What is next? Oh Yeah. Just check the rest of this thread.

LOL :blink:

You're pretty convinced that Babchuk is a top 4 dman?

If he could find some consistency, yeah, I think he could become one.

Since all the Top 4 defensemen in FA have dried up, and since we already own his rights, I see no reason why we shouldn't bring him back.

If he could find some consistency, yeah, I think he could become one.

Since all the Top 4 defensemen in FA have dried up, and since we already own his rights, I see no reason why we shouldn't bring him back.

JR said he felt Babchuk could round out the top 4, but with the way he's going about contract negotiations I'm not sure that's what it'll be like next year.

I don't understand why JR won't give him a slight raise, would 1.2 be that much of a reach for a 25 year old defenseman who scored 16 goals last year? You can go back and forth debating about Babchuk, but that's pretty impressive. I would like to see him back, and JR should use this opportunity to sign him to a multi-year deal imo. He has no arbitration rights, so we could lock up a defenseman maturing in to his prime for a very cheap rate for a couple years.

JR said he felt Babchuk could round out the top 4, but with the way he's going about contract negotiations I'm not sure that's what it'll be like next year.

I think this is wishful thinking. Babchuk might be a top 4 Dman one day but not yet. Babs big plus right now is that cannon he has from the point and his use on the PP. His D isn't awful but when he handles the puck it is an adventure.

I don't understand why JR won't give him a slight raise, would 1.2 be that much of a reach for a 25 year old defenseman who scored 16 goals last year? You can go back and forth debating about Babchuk, but that's pretty impressive. I would like to see him back, and JR should use this opportunity to sign him to a multi-year deal imo. He has no arbitration rights, so we could lock up a defenseman maturing in to his prime for a very cheap rate for a couple years.

I don't know if anyone else agrees but I think JR might offer him a slight raise but for one year only. I'm not sure either the team or Babs is sure what his future with the Canes will be. Our goal was to sign most of the FA Cole, La Rose, Jokinen ,Ruutu and Babs if he would stay. Pickup or trade for a quality winger and a shutdown Dman. It appears to me that we are on message.

I think this is wishful thinking. Babchuk might be a top 4 Dman one day but not yet. Babs big plus right now is that cannon he has from the point and his use on the PP. His D isn't awful but when he handles the puck it is an adventure.

I don't know if anyone else agrees but I think JR might offer him a slight raise but for one year only. I'm not sure either the team or Babs is sure what his future with the Canes will be. Our goal was to sign most of the FA Cole, La Rose, Jokinen ,Ruutu and Babs if he would stay. Pickup or trade for a quality winger and a shutdown Dman. It appears to me that we are on message.

But we do need another top 4 dman. What we have to offer is Seids plus Babs pay, which is $2.2 mil. That's if we don't unload someone else as part of the process. Not sure if there's much else out there in FA land. Umm, Seids is still available last I checked though. :)

Thats what I'm saying. Seidenberg is exactly what JR is looking for and he's not going to find a player in free agency any cheaper or at that young age. If Seidenberg really is gone (I think its pretty safe to say we cant rule anything out with JR), there will be a trade for a dman, imo.

How much is Jay McKee expected to get?

Way more than JR should be willing to pay a once great player that cant stay off the LTIR.

Well,looking at the FA market, there's still plenty of talent for a top 4 Defenseman...

Derek Morris (30), UFA, 3.95 last year

Philippe Boucher (36), UFA, 2.5 last year (maybe a bit too old)

Paul Mara (29), UFA, 1.95 last year

Francois Beauchemin (29), UFA, 1.65 last year

Marek Malik (34), UFA, 1.25 lasty year

Marc-Andre Bergeron (28), UFA, 1.691 last year

Janne Niskala (27), UFA, 0.6 last year

In addition, Seids is still out there, as well as Chris Chelios, who of course would be a bit old, but could still bring something on the table for 1 year, not to mention the experience he could bring to the team and some of our young defensemen.

Thinking about young talent, there's also a possibilty to get an offer sheet to one of some promising RFAs...

Cam Barker (23), 0.984 last year

Denis Grebeshkov (25), 1.5 last year

This list seems like endless, with not yet mentioned players like Boynton, DeVries, Skoula...so I wouldn't think to acquire someone through trade and give up on something wouldn't be too clever. If Babchuk can be resigned, I'd say give him a shot on the top 4 pairing, and if that fails, maybe one of our young guns (Borer, Rodney, Carson) manages to surprise and can take over. If Babchuk, on the other hand, would be let go, we could spend his and Seids salary on one of the mentioned guys above. Sadly, we didn't try to get a shot on now signed boys like Scuderi or Komisarek, but there's still a lot to get out there.

Whats the deal with all the 2 year contracts? I know we have one more season before essentially half the team's contracts expire... wouldnt we want longer contracts for Cole/LaRose/Jussi to provide some continuity? Or is JR perhaps planning a complete revamp of the team in a year or two?

Thats what I'm saying. Seidenberg is exactly what JR is looking for and he's not going to find a player in free agency any cheaper or at that young age. If Seidenberg really is gone (I think its pretty safe to say we cant rule anything out with JR), there will be a trade for a dman, imo.

J.R. may also be hanging around and seeing if anybody has a salary dump player to make the cap (like the Rangers had with Cullen).

it is my understanding that Seids salary demands have placed him well out of reach for us.

Whats the deal with all the 2 year contracts? I know we have one more season before essentially half the team's contracts expire... wouldnt we want longer contracts for Cole/LaRose/Jussi to provide some continuity? Or is JR perhaps planning a complete revamp of the team in a year or two?

JR only wanted to give Cole a one year deal but upped it to two (injuries I would speculate), he wanted to give LaRose a longer deal but Rosie kept it to two for fear of becoming complacent, I would assume the two year deal with Jussi is just making sure last year wasn't a fluke.

Several of the young players will hopefully be ready for prime time.

J.R. may also be hanging around and seeing if anybody has a salary dump player to make the cap (like the Rangers had with Cullen).

Thats probably right. Chicago is the first team that comes to mind and Im sure there are others that will need to shed some salary before camp.

it is my understanding that Seids salary demands have placed him well out of reach for us.

I havent seen any numbers anywhere, just JR saying his asking price was too high. He also said that about LaRose and Cole. He's still on the market....just saying.

Now that LaRose is signed, JR can't take his money and Babs and sign us a legit Top 4 defenseman. I think Babs is on his way out.

Sharks are known to be shopping a defenseman. JR has always liked Erhoff. For convo sake, who could be packaged with Babchuk to get Ehroff? What other defensemen could fit well here and what would it take to bring them here. LA also seems to be overloaded at D.

Or do we still go the free agent route. Whose left, Vaananen (another Finn), Boynton, Boucher, Beauchemin. Who else?

Now that LaRose is signed, JR can't take his money and Babs and sign us a legit Top 4 defenseman. I think Babs is on his way out.

Sharks are known to be shopping a defenseman. JR has always liked Erhoff. For convo sake, who could be packaged with Babchuk to get Ehroff? What other defensemen could fit well here and what would it take to bring them here. LA also seems to be overloaded at D.

Or do we still go the free agent route. Whose left, Vaananen (another Finn), Boynton, Boucher, Beauchemin. Who else?

Beauchemin is out of our price range at this point.

I wouldn't mind picking up one of the Shark's or King's defenseman, though it depends which one and who is being traded. I could see possibly something like Babs, Eaves, 6th rd 2010 for Erhoff, and a decent prospect. Thoughts?

JR only wanted to give Cole a one year deal but upped it to two (injuries I would speculate), he wanted to give LaRose a longer deal but Rosie kept it to two for fear of becoming complacent, I would assume the two year deal with Jussi is just making sure last year wasn't a fluke.

Pretty sure LaRose's joking around about that was a response to the question he was asked about a "12 year contract". It sounds like JR was offering much lower money with that third year included. Two years, less risk, a little more money, good to go.

Several of the young players will hopefully be ready for prime time.

This is key to explaining the short contracts, along with JR keeping risk down. These last couple of summers were quite tame compared to how the next couple are going to be. This will be a completely different team in 2 years.

(superdave @ Jul 3 2009, 07:25 AM)

Thats probably right. Chicago is the first team that comes to mind and Im sure there are others that will need to shed some salary before camp.

Good point, and interesting that you mention Chicago, since we have a history there with Ruutu/Ladd, Adams, and Samsonov. Any top 4 D available they might be willing to part with that are in our price range? Maybe give them back Babchuk? :)

Here's a longshot. Who bettter to learn how to play D from than someone who has been playing the position since they were born? Babs and Chelios. Just an idea.

Did the Canes forget that Seidenberg and Babchuk are leaving? Are we going into next year with Kaberle and a rookie defenseman as our third pairing?

At this point it's looking like we might have to give up Ruutu to save money for a Dman and even then Kaberle will still be playing full time. If we did sign Ruutu for $2-3 million we would already be over the $50 million budget that they had for last year and I can't see them spending much more than that as Rutherford said on 99.9 the fan yesterday we are a small market team that depends on revenue sharing. There is an upper limit to how much you can spend if you want to qualify for revenue sharing and it certainly won't be more than $51-52 million.

Any thoughts?