The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Hmmm.....I've been sitting on the sidelines watching lots of conversation about all the travails that we are facing and I've just got to jump in...So here's my two cents. First of all so much of this is all gamesmanship...by JR, by Ruutu's agent, by Babchuk....so we probably will see so much play out over the next 6 weeks that will prove some of us right and most of us wrong (both LaRose and Cole, for example were signed for several hundred thousand $$$ more than I would have guessed)....Secondly, we're sitting at a shade over $49 million ($49.067 according to nhlnumbers.com - and its tough to tell if that includes Ryan's, Conboy's, and Dwyer's $$$) with 18 players signed. So we have either a shade over $6 million to the cap (which we will never spend to) or, more realistically, about $3.7 to $4 million to spend to $53 million which I believe is JR's upper end, self-imposed cap. So there are a few of realities that we just need to face:

1) We're going to see Carson/Rodney/Borer as part of the last pairing or even part of the 2nd pairing. Yup, they're going to make mistakes, but all three proved to be quite servicable during their call ups and WAY TOO MUCH is being made of their "inexperience".... in the end they will be fine. I'm calling it right here and now....we will not see a new defenseman signed unless something dramatic happens.

2) Ruutu will be signed before arbitration....one thing JR wants is flexibility and arbitration is the antithesis of that. I'm looking for something like 3 years $10.5 million....and his name will continuously come up in trade talk, trade negotiations, and eventually he may be part of an actual trade...probably next year at or around the deadline or at or around the draft.

3) Babchuk will either accept his QO or actually get a 2 year deal (2 yrs. @ $3 million - $1.25/$1.75). The trade that becomes available is then Babs and Ruutu for a significant player plus either a pick or prospect. This trade might also be a Ruutu and the "rights" to Babs. Regardless, Babs becomes a trading chip all year long....if not this year then next. If he stays and plays with us, I think he continues his breakout and while JR may regret some of his posturing and treatment, in the end, he will prove to be a valuable asset that we trade and get significant return for.

4) The 1st line and the 4th line are going to be in flux all year long with Cole and Staal playing with one of either Boychuk or Bowman. One or both of the youngsters are going to make the team and play 1st line and 3rd line minutes. While I think that Ruutu will also see some 1st line minutes, I think Mo plays some "match up" hockey (we throw out a tough line of Cole/Staal/Ruutu against bangers like Boston/New Jersey). However, I also believe that both Eaves and perhaps Jokinen may get time on that line as both are due for breakouts. JR is going to ask Mo to showcase those guys and I think they will prove more than able to contribute (Jussi especially, who I believe can skate w/the Eric(k)s and has nifty passing ability). That also creates "tradeable" assets. The second line is going to be Whitney/Cullen/Ruutu and will really provide a balance of scoring and physicality. Again, this is a line I think you see Eaves on when Ruutu moves up to play 1st line time. LaRose will also see a bit of time on this line as he has chemistry here, but a line of Whitney/Cullen/LaRose is exceedingly small and could only work against the more "skilled" teams. The third line is, for the most part, going to be LaRose/Jokinen/Eaves and that line will be surprisingly productive from a scoring perspective. With Chad and Patty on it, they will also be a serious "pest" line. I suspect that Sutter gets some time on this line as well. The fourth line is going to be Walker/Brindy/Sutter with Brindy and Walker rotating up to the third line when LaRose and Eaves move up. The rookies will sit those games out or play 3rd/4th line time. Brindy and Sutter will see PK time w/Eaves and LaRose. Brindy will also see critical faceoff time.

5) Who is missing? You guessed it, Samsonov. Love him, think he's a heck of a player and once he got on track, he can make things happen. But, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to play well with Staal (the line he should be playing on, IMO) and with the Jokinen signing, he becomes expendable. So I think while we'll hear Ruutu/Babs rumors, in the end, we'll see a Samsonov/Babs trade or Samsonov plus an asset trade at some point in time this year freeing up salary....which will get us our winger back in return (more like a true solid 2nd liner w/some 1st line potential - ala Ruutu)....we might get a pick as well, but....

This is all a guessing game, but I expect that we will see more "match up" hockey....not so much matching lines, but building lines to play against certain teams....Cole, Ruutu on the 1st line, Walker on the 3rd line....and Conboy as appropriate will get rolled out much more prominently against the more physical teams. I think that as the year goes on Sutter also sees more time (going from 6 to 8 minutes a game to 8 to 12 minutes a game)....he's a physical player and can play a shut down guy already. I think Eaves and Jokinen each get 15 to 20 goals...and Kaberle has a return to form as well....

Finally, one of the two rookies (Boychuk/Bowman) will stick and the other will get one more year in Albany (although with our team's injury history he will see plenty of time in Raleigh). In the end two or more of our AHLers will get NHL experience, contribute significantly, and be part of a Hurricane's team that reaches the playoffs again. Yes, that's what I said, the same basic team that got us to the playoffs this year takes us back next year....I for one am excited about that prospect.

Wow, I think you are pretty spot on here.. Nice job. While I love love love to watch him play, sadly I think you are right about the Samsonov/Babs trade (I actually kinda like Babs, so I think we may even see a Samsonov/Eaves trade..maybe?..I dunno... Do you think we could make that trade to LA for J.Willy back with us? I would love to have him back. However, I'm not sure how he fits in when it comes to salary.

Also, I think you are right about the defense. I think are going to see a lot more Carson and Kabs.. Just my two cents.

But do you guys think about the J.Willy trade? Also, I really kind of like the idea of signing Maxim Afinogenov. He is big, and really shouldn't cost that much.. Let me know what you guys think!

Wow, I think you are pretty spot on here.. Nice job. While I love love love to watch him play, sadly I think you are right about the Samsonov/Babs trade (I actually kinda like Babs, so I think we may even see a Samsonov/Eaves trade..maybe?..I dunno... Do you think we could make that trade to LA for J.Willy back with us? I would love to have him back. However, I'm not sure how he fits in when it comes to salary.

Also, I think you are right about the defense. I think are going to see a lot more Carson and Kabs.. Just my two cents.

But do you guys think about the J.Willy trade? Also, I really kind of like the idea of signing Maxim Afinogenov. He is big, and really shouldn't cost that much.. Let me know what you guys think!

If we see a lot more of Carson/Mcbain/Borer/Rodney and Kabs to replace Seids and Wallin/Babs as our third defensive pairing I think we are also going to see a lot more pucks going in our net also. I'm all for the young guys coming up and taking a spot but you can't pair them with someone who is at rookie skill level himself.

Edit: and we won't be resigning any more forwards, especially not Kovalev. We are going to be struggling to make our budget and the revenue sharing limit after signing Ruutu as is.

Alex Kovalev is not going to be resigned in Montreal...at 36, he could be a nice stopgap kinda guy for the next couple years to let some of the young guns continue to develop and at 6'1" 220 + he has the size/speed to play with Staal on the 1st line.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860''>http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860[/post]

I will go on record as saying that would be a fantastic signing which is exactly why it won't happen.

I will go on record as saying that would be a fantastic signing which is exactly why it won't happen.

He also signed a 2 year deal with Ottawa today.

I think we're done with signings except for Ruutu and Babchuk. And I think once they're signed we're going to see at least 1 trade of a high-priced forward to get us under the revenue sharing budget.

My question is who are we trading?

Cullen, Jokinen, Larose, Ruutu (if signed) or Cole I guess. Though it doesn't make much sense to sign Larose/Cole/Jokinen/Ruutu just to dump them for salary reasons. Whitney has NTC, Eaves/Walker/Samsonov/Brind'Amour have pretty much negative trade value, So I guess Cullen is the odd man out? I guess we could always give up draft picks/prospects to get rid of Walker/Eaves/Kaberle.

Man what is up with Toronto. They just signed Beauchemin, signed Komisarek last week, have a rising defensive star in Luke Schenn, and still have Kaberle. That is like 4 top pair defensemen! We should ask them if they want to swap Kaberles :lol:. That would solve our Defensive issues real quick!

It would be nice if this topic stuck to what it was for.

Wheres the trades rumors at?

Toronto has 9 defensemen signed right now including 4 first possible first pairing guys (Beauchemin, Komisarek, Schenn, Kaberle). I think if we were gonna trade for a Dman from a desperate team they might be a good candidate.

Cullen, Jokinen, Larose, Ruutu (if signed) or Cole I guess. Though it doesn't make much sense to sign Larose/Cole/Jokinen/Ruutu just to dump them for salary reasons. Whitney has NTC, Eaves/Walker/Samsonov/Brind'Amour have pretty much negative trade value, So I guess Cullen is the odd man out? I guess we could always give up draft picks/prospects to get rid of Walker/Eaves/Kaberle.

Walker has a NTC. I doubt we move Jokinen, LaRose, Ruutu, or Cole since we just resigned them (Ruutu still pending, I know) unless the deal is perfect. I don't think Cullen will go either because he has good chemistry with LaRose and they scored some great Shorthanded points last year, which we could always use. I'm guessing that if someone is being moved its Eaves or Samsonov. It really depends on the other team's point of view towards both players, I would guess Samsonov isn't thought of too highly because of his history and Eaves probably won't be either since he hasn't been very good since 05-06. Babs could also be traded, but I hope he plays with us for the rest of this season and then gets traded if he still doesn't want to stay with us.

If we see a lot more of Carson/Mcbain/Borer/Rodney and Kabs to replace Seids and Wallin/Babs as our third defensive pairing I think we are also going to see a lot more pucks going in our net also. I'm all for the young guys coming up and taking a spot but you can't pair them with someone who is at rookie skill level himself.

Edit: and we won't be resigning any more forwards, especially not Kovalev. We are going to be struggling to make our budget and the revenue sharing limit after signing Ruutu as is.

You really want our two slowest defensemen to be on the same pairing? We'd never win an away game. Opposing coaches would just send out their speediest line against that pairing and wait for that red light to start flashing.

Man what is up with Toronto. They just signed Beauchemin, signed Komisarek last week, have a rising defensive star in Luke Schenn, and still have Kaberle. That is like 4 top pair defensemen! We should ask them if they want to swap Kaberles :lol:. That would solve our Defensive issues real quick!

I actually love what the Leafs are doing. Stacking up Dmen. Also, don't forget they traded for Garnet Exelby, a top 2 Dman in Atlanta.

How about looking at Ian White from Toronto? They are almost definitely looking to move some D, since they already have around 10 under contract for next year. He is 25 years old, and makes .950 mil this year, and will be an RFA next year. He has put up around 20 pts the last 3 seasons, which includes 10 goals last year, and has played at least 70 games in all of those as well. I'm not sure whether he is more offensive or defensive, but I'm thinking he could be a great 4/5 defenseman for the type of money he gets paid, and he is only under contract for one more year so if we wanted we could let him go next year if we want more of the younger guys on our roster. Plus I'm sure he wouldn't take too much money to re-sign if we wanted to keep him for longer since he is still young.

EDIT: Possibly Eaves and a 3rd to Toronto for White and a 5th?

I think this discussion should be called, "Tell What You Would Do As GM, and Icefrog and caniac97 Will Tell You Why You Suck At Life."

LOL...the other day, after this topic hit 1K, I noticed on the Hurricanes Talk index page, under Replies, you can click the link and see who posted how many times. Never noticed that before, but never saw a thread go this far. I think they're chasing each other to 10k because TSA told them the loser would get their post count reset. :lol:;)

How about looking at Ian White from Toronto? They are almost definitely looking to move some D, since they already have around 10 under contract for next year. He is 25 years old, and makes .950 mil this year, and will be an RFA next year. He has put up around 20 pts the last 3 seasons, which includes 10 goals last year, and has played at least 70 games in all of those as well. I'm not sure whether he is more offensive or defensive, but I'm thinking he could be a great 4/5 defenseman for the type of money he gets paid, and he is only under contract for one more year so if we wanted we could let him go next year if we want more of the younger guys on our roster. Plus I'm sure he wouldn't take too much money to re-sign if we wanted to keep him for longer since he is still young.

EDIT: Possibly Eaves and a 3rd to Toronto for White and a 5th?

Interesting possibility, especially since he killed us in a couple of games this year. I think I would make that deal if I were JR. A little hard to believe they would give him up that easily though, he seems like a pretty solid prospect. That said, this is Toronto we're talking about. :P

Toronto has 9 defensemen signed right now including 4 first possible first pairing guys (Beauchemin, Komisarek, Schenn, Kaberle). I think if we were gonna trade for a Dman from a desperate team they might be a good candidate.

Wonder if Burke in Toronto would swap Schenn (5 overall 2008) for Boychuk (11 overall 2008) and the Canes second round pick next year. Would solve the Canes defense questions for very little money and gives Toronto a skilled scoring forward that will be needed to add scoring punch to Burke's brutes.

LOL...the other day, after this topic hit 1K, I noticed on the Hurricanes Talk index page, under Replies, you can click the link and see who posted how many times. Never noticed that before, but never saw a thread go this far. I think they're chasing each other to 10k because TSA told them the loser would get their post count reset. :lol:;)

I had no idea you could do that. Now that's funny :lol:

I always wondered what would happen if we took away post counts altogether? hmmmm.....

I had no idea you could do that. Now that's funny :lol:

I always wondered what would happen if we took away post counts altogether? hmmmm.....

It really takes somebody who has no life to worry about their post count.

Ooh, I just upped my post count. Self high five.

First on the Babchuk deal... a couple points, but before I start, I am not comparing Seids and Babs as players, just their situations.

Didn't Seids get his salary increased from something like $850k to $1.2mill? That's a $350k increase. Is it unfair to offer Babchuk the same increase? That would put his salary at $1.35mill, I don't think that is overpaying him. But Rutherford offers him no raise at all? That's pretty ridiculous IMO.

Then there is the comment about Babchuk's DEFENSIVE play being the basis of his contract...interesting theory, and I agree to an extent. That's not how it is though...

Would Seidenberg be in position to get the big payday if he hadn't scored 30 points? Nope. Sorry, but his -9 and albeit great shot blocking ability weren't enough to get a big contract. So the "goals are a plus" statement is completely false. Point is, there have been A LOT of defensemen who have been paid for their scoring ability.

I love the "attitude issues" comment that seems to continuously come up concerning Babchuk. He declined to report to the minors for 2 weeks, then went to Russia the next season. Worse things have happened. Players have done worse and not been begrudged the way it appears Babchuk has. 35 points and his overall play last season makes him worth more than $1mill a season, I don't care what player, or what team it is. He's being low-balled, I if he really did ask for a trade, I don't know if I blame him.

And I think with the signing of Jokinen, Cullen became expendable. I don't know, but I really think there will be a trade for a defenseman, but that depends on what happens with Babchuk. I think it's too early to give up on Eaves. And for the last time, no one wants Kaberle... he'll be here one more year.

My problem with giving up Cullen is that when completely healthy he can play point on the PP and help to quarterback it, he can penalty kill, be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league, an admirable 2nd line center, and he has incredible chemistry with LaRose. I don't understand why so many people are using him in trade rumor talks when I honestly think that JR should try to resign him after this upcoming season. Jussi can play center, but he can play wing as well. I don't think that necessarily makes him expendable, especially when we don't know how Brindy can bounce back. Even if Brindamour returns to form, why not be able to roll 4 lines deep and give Jussi some PP time to balance it all out?

Also I would include Eaves in any and all trade talks. He brought some grit in the playoffs we hadn't seen before, but the guy gets paid an obscene amount to be a 4th line winger on this team. We've used him on the 1st and 3rd lines at points in the past and he hasn't succeeded. A change of scenery to a team with big time needs at forward would be the best place to move him.

And I think with the signing of Jokinen, Cullen became expendable. I don't know, but I really think there will be a trade for a defenseman, but that depends on what happens with Babchuk.

With Rod Brind'Amour's future productivity a major question mark, Cullen is not expendable.

Yes Jussi can play center and I LOVE what Jussi did in the playoffs, but he is no Matt Cullen. Cullen had an overall pretty average year and still had 22 goals. Jussi has NEVER scored 20 NHL goals in any season. Last year:

games goals +/-

Cullen 69 22 +11

Jokinen 71 7 -10

It will be intersting to see how Jussi plays following a great playoff run, but Cullen is the last guy not named Ward or Staal that I would trade.