The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I think this discussion should be called, "Tell What You Would Do As GM, and Icefrog and caniac97 Will Tell You Why You Suck At Life."

Including me in a sentence with Froggy is probably the best compliment you can pay me (other than nominating me for spokesperson for Smiling Bob). Though I don't always agree with Froggy, he does take the time to do the research. If Froggy says "player x sucks" he usually includes several seasons of stats to support the suckage, never any lame reasons. If it makes you feel like you suck at life then that sounds more like a personal issue than a GM issue.

I had no idea you could do that. Now that's funny :lol:

I always wondered what would happen if we took away post counts altogether? hmmmm.....

I think you can vouch for this when I say if my post count is too high it is because I don't when to shutup!! Taking the counter away wouldn't slow me down, the stupid is strong in me!!

I think you can vouch for this when I say if my post count is too high it is because I don't when to shutup!! Taking the counter away wouldn't slow me down, the stupid is strong in me!!

The guy to the left says:

You can't fix stupid

Wonder if Burke in Toronto would swap Schenn (5 overall 2008) for Boychuk (11 overall 2008) and the Canes second round pick next year. Would solve the Canes defense questions for very little money and gives Toronto a skilled scoring forward that will be needed to add scoring punch to Burke's brutes.

Since Boychuk could possibly be Staal's winger in the next 2 years, I'd rather not do that. We need to come to reality that we are not going to sign a $6-7M guy to play with Staal. Right now Boychuk or Bowman are the only ones projected in our prospect pool to be able to play with Staal with Boychuk leaading the way.

Since Boychuk could possibly be Staal's winger in the next 2 years, I'd rather not do that. We need to come to reality that we are not going to sign a $6-7M guy to play with Staal. Right now Boychuk or Bowman are the only ones projected in our prospect pool to be able to play with Staal with Boychuk leaading the way.

I think u nailed it right on the head could not agree more hopefully Boychuk or Bowman pan out because if they dont then staal isn't going to have a real 1st line winger.

My question is who are we trading?

My answers below assume two things. 1, we'll re-sign Ruutu for around $3.25m and 2, we'll re-sign Babchuk for around $1.25m. That's an additional $4.5m on top of our existing $49m, which puts us at $53.5m, or roughly $2.5m over the assumed revenue sharing mark that the Canes like to hit.

This means we need to dump salary.

So here's my list of guys and the reasons for the moves:

1 - Whitney. He's 37 years old and in the last year of a contract that has a $3.55m cap hit. I'd hate to lose the Wizard, as he's an obvious 1st line guy with playmaking abilities. He makes Staal better. But you could tell in the POs that he couldn't keep up and he basically disappeared for long stretches. This *might* be his last year, though I suspect that, like Recchi, he could find a home for a few years yet, perhaps even with the Canes. But his best years are behind him and moving him gets us to the right budget with a little room to spare for a cheaper D-man. Of course, he has an NTC. It's entirely possible, also, that Whitney could be used as bait closer to the trade deadline if we find ourselves on the outside of the playoff race.

2 - Corvo. I know, we don't want to lose yet another D-man. But like Whitney he's in the last year of his contract. His cap hit is $2.7m this year. He scored 15 goals last year. He's going to be getting a raise next year. This is a case of "we need to get something back for him before he hits the market."

3 - Cullen. Again, final year of a contract, $2.8m against the cap. And I think Cullen *could* be our #2 center this year, so this one really hurts. The reason why I think Cullen here is 1, he's in the final year of his deal and 2, Sutter is a $1.225m hit against the cap as well. If Sutter is going to be brought up and not play 4th line -- as so many on this board suspect -- then we have too many centers. We're not going to move Brindy.

4 - Samsonov. He's a $2.533m cap hit this year and has two years left on his deal. I agree with several who have said he may be the odd man out here, because moving him for picks/prospects get us to the $51m cap and makes room for a Boychuk or Bowman to make the team in a 2nd/3rd line role. This is likely the safe bet.

5 - Walker. Again, final year of a contract, $2.5m cap hit. He costs a lot of money for a 4th line guy. He has a NTC and is a fan favorite. He also is one of our tougher players, so losing him hurts. But this is a business and he's making too much for what he does.

I know there are those who say "Why not trade Eaves?" The problem with trading Eaves is that his cap hit is only $1.4m, so moving him isn't enough; we'd have to move someone else as well.

I also believe Bayda won't be back. With both Dwyer and Ryan re-signed, you'll see those guys on the 4th line in 2009 taking Bayda's spot.

I'm certainly not suggesting that we trade all these guys, but one of them will likely have to go to get us into the right budget range. I think if we trade any of these guys other than Whitney, it will be for picks/prospects with the belief that they'll be backfilled by rookies, because that's how we keep the budget. If we trade Whitney then there could be $1m in room for a Dman (White from Toronto was suggested as someone who could fit that price range).

My answers below assume two things. 1, we'll re-sign Ruutu for around $3.25m and 2, we'll re-sign Babchuk for around $1.25m. That's an additional $4.5m on top of our existing $49m, which puts us at $53.5m, or roughly $2.5m over the assumed revenue sharing mark that the Canes like to hit.

1 - Whitney. He's 37 years old and in the last year of a contract that has a $3.55m cap hit. I'd hate to lose the Wizard, as he's an obvious 1st line guy with playmaking abilities. He makes Staal better. But you could tell in the POs that he couldn't keep up and he basically disappeared for long stretches. This *might* be his last year, though I suspect that, like Recchi, he could find a home for a few years yet, perhaps even with the Canes. But his best years are behind him and moving him gets us to the right budget with a little room to spare for a cheaper D-man. Of course, he has an NTC. It's entirely possible, also, that Whitney could be used as bait closer to the trade deadline if we find ourselves on the outside of the playoff race.

2 - Corvo. I know, we don't want to lose yet another D-man. But like Whitney he's in the last year of his contract. His cap hit is $2.7m this year. He scored 15 goals last year. He's going to be getting a raise next year. This is a case of "we need to get something back for him before he hits the market."

3 - Cullen. Again, final year of a contract, $2.8m against the cap. And I think Cullen *could* be our #2 center this year, so this one really hurts. The reason why I think Cullen here is 1, he's in the final year of his deal and 2, Sutter is a $1.225m hit against the cap as well. If Sutter is going to be brought up and not play 4th line -- as so many on this board suspect -- then we have too many centers. We're not going to move Brindy.

4 - Samsonov. He's a $2.533m cap hit this year and has two years left on his deal. I agree with several who have said he may be the odd man out here, because moving him for picks/prospects get us to the $51m cap and makes room for a Boychuk or Bowman to make the team in a 2nd/3rd line role. This is likely the safe bet.

5 - Walker. Again, final year of a contract, $2.5m cap hit. He costs a lot of money for a 4th line guy. He has a NTC and is a fan favorite. He also is one of our tougher players, so losing him hurts. But this is a business and he's making too much for what he does.

I know there are those who say "Why not trade Eaves?" The problem with trading Eaves is that his cap hit is only $1.4m, so moving him isn't enough; we'd have to move someone else as well.

I also believe Bayda won't be back. With both Dwyer and Ryan re-signed, you'll see those guys on the 4th line in 2009 taking Bayda's spot.

I'm certainly not suggesting that we trade all these guys, but one of them will likely have to go to get us into the right budget range. I think if we trade any of these guys other than Whitney, it will be for picks/prospects with the belief that they'll be backfilled by rookies, because that's how we keep the budget. If we trade Whitney then there could be $1m in room for a Dman (White from Toronto was suggested as someone who could fit that price range).

Whitney: I have proposed this on other threads probably this one. I agree. I love Whitney, he is elite offensively and one of our last remaining proven scorers. But he is going to hit his age wall soon and guys who can score like him always have value.

Corvo: we would have to get defense back, so kind of a wash.

Cullen: NO. NO. NO. Not until we know what form Brindy will take and or Sutter. Only if Cullen brought us a second line center in return, but then again, what's the point? Cullen is going to have a great year this year (concussions behind him, contract year).

Sammy: fine, but not for 2nd/34d round picks. Package him with somthing to go after the top line winger maybe. He had a pretty good playoffs.

Walker: love him but he is coming off of a very low production year and makes too much for that. Probably little trade value. Great character guy who could have a nice year.

Unless JR packages a coule of guys and picks and goes for a first liner, I'd rather stand pat and see how the young guns and Brindy pan out. The only thing would be if he could move Whitney plus for a top winger.

Whitney: I have proposed this on other threads probably this one. I agree. I love Whitney, he is elite offensively and one of our last remaining proven scorers. But he is going to hit his age wall soon and guys who can score like him always have value.

Cullen: NO. NO. NO. Not until we know what form Brindy will take and or Sutter. Only if Cullen brought us a second line center in return, but then again, what's the point? Cullen is going to have a great year this year (concussions behind him, contract year).

Sammy: fine, but not for 2nd/34d round picks. Package him with somthing to go after the top line winger maybe. He had a pretty good playoffs.

Walker: love him but he is coming off of a very low production year and makes too much for that. Probably little trade value. Great character guy who could have a nice year.

Unless JR packages a coule of guys and picks and goes for a first liner, I'd rather stand pat and see how the young guns and Brindy pan out. The only thing would be if he could move Whitney plus for a top winger.

The only issue with standing pat is that we miss the budget that I believe the Canes strive for: the revenue sharing budget. Provided we sign Ruutu and Babchuk, we'll be over that, so someone has to move.

And I agree that I'd rather not move Cullen. I think even though he's in the last year of his deal that he would re-sign with us, because he's had his best years here and when he left (NYR) he didn't work out too well. That being said, if it looks like he'd test the market after this season, our chance to get something for him is now, because he's coming off a great POs.

The only issue with standing pat is that we miss the budget that I believe the Canes strive for: the revenue sharing budget. Provided we sign Ruutu and Babchuk, we'll be over that, so someone has to move.

And I agree that I'd rather not move Cullen. I think even though he's in the last year of his deal that he would re-sign with us, because he's had his best years here and when he left (NYR) he didn't work out too well. That being said, if it looks like he'd test the market after this season, our chance to get something for him is now, because he's coming off a great POs.

it's been said that there is a trade in the works so JR may be looking at that as a way to get under budget.

Wonder if Burke in Toronto would swap Schenn (5 overall 2008) for Boychuk (11 overall 2008) and the Canes second round pick next year. Would solve the Canes defense questions for very little money and gives Toronto a skilled scoring forward that will be needed to add scoring punch to Burke's brutes.

Burke would NEVER do that, he loves Luke Schenn. Heck, if he didn't trade him for Tavares(who he desprately wanted), why would he trade for Boychuk?

That $49M currently includes .875 for Sutter, .875 for Boychuk, .500 for Dwyer and .500 for Ryan which are all two-way contracts that the Canes have to pay only when the players are playing for the NHL team. It is reasonable to think that at least one or two of those listed will play in Raleigh this year, but not all. Also included in the $49M is a .267 buyout to Jeff Hamilton which I am not sure if management cares about or not. So for argument sake, the number that is currently committed to payroll for the 2009-10 team is $46.25M or $46M depending on the significance of the buyout money and you can probably go ahead and figure in another $1M for two likely 4th line forwards/healthy scratch players: Dwyer and Ryan.

So, basically the team has about $4M give or take a little to sign both Ruutu and Babchuk and still remain at or near the $51M mark.

I also would hate to see Cullen moved, but if management has confidence both in Jokinen's ability to fill Cullen's shoes and Brindamour's ability (after a surgery free summer) to play well enough to help rather than hurt the team as a 2nd or 3rd line center, then I could at least understand the logic. I think it is more likely, though, that we will see the team as it is including Ruutu and Babchuk to begin the year and maybe a trade during the season. The players involved will depend on the team's situation as of then.

Before I throw myself into this bonanza of killing summer dead time, I would like to ask a few questions;

1. Wasn't Tim Conboy slated as a Dman for most of the season, because right now, on the depth chart, he is listed as a fourth line winger.

2. Why does everyone hate kaberle/Babs? I followed the team through the playoffs and most of the season, and it seemed to me that Kaberle wasnt bad, he just wasnt good. As for Babchuk, he was on fire (35 points is pretty decent for a dman) when he wasnt screwing around (my worst moment is when he did a backflip infront of Ward without being touched, and at the same time allowing a goal) :angry: But he was very decent when on fire. Just wondering

3. Im sorry for being skeptical, but why does everyone say JR has it in for babs? I havent seen anything ( but i cant say im looking) to prove this.

Thanks for the info, and also providing me something to do while i wait for hockry to return (Staal 50 goal season! I feel it! ;) )

Before I throw myself into this bonanza of killing summer dead time, I would like to ask a few questions;

1. Wasn't Tim Conboy slated as a Dman for most of the season, because right now, on the depth chart, he is listed as a fourth line winger.

2. Why does everyone hate kaberle/Babs? I followed the team through the playoffs and most of the season, and it seemed to me that Kaberle wasnt bad, he just wasnt good. As for Babchuk, he was on fire (35 points is pretty decent for a dman) when he wasnt screwing around (my worst moment is when he did a backflip infront of Ward without being touched, and at the same time allowing a goal) :angry: But he was very decent when on fire. Just wondering

3. Im sorry for being skeptical, but why does everyone say JR has it in for babs? I havent seen anything ( but i cant say im looking) to prove this.

Thanks for the info, and also providing me something to do while i wait for hockry to return (Staal 50 goal season! I feel it! ;) )

1) I have the same confusion about Conboy. He's listed as a dman on the NHL by the numbers salary chart.

2) Not everyone hates Kaberle/Babs. A few have definately been pretty critical but they dont speak for the board as a group. Most are happy to have Babs sign as long as what he gets isnt at the expense of someone like Ruutu. Eaves is a little trickier because while some think he may be good trade bait, others think his contract and potential are worth keeping him around.

3) Only one or two are so sure that JR has it in for Babs based on their interpretation on what we all have read through the media. Not all of us are so sure and are willing to sit back and see how the situation unfolds.

That should at least be a start :)

I'm pretty sure in the AHL he played as a defenseman, but whenever we use him in our lineup we use him as a 4th line forward. He's mostly used to bring a little bit of intimidation to the other team, but isn't a huge detriment on the ice like Brookbank who could barely get through a shift. Basically he's our enforcer, he doesn't win many fights but I'd rather have Conboy in the box for 5 instead of Gleason/Walker/ anyone else. Plus the Canes W-L record is ridiculously good with him in the line up I believe.

EDIT: I noticed that was your 1st post, Welcome to the board! :)

I also would hate to see Cullen moved, but if management has confidence both in Jokinen's ability to fill Cullen's shoes and Brindamour's ability (after a surgery free summer) to play well enough to help rather than hurt the team as a 2nd or 3rd line center, then I could at least understand the logic. I think it is more likely, though, that we will see the team as it is including Ruutu and Babchuk to begin the year and maybe a trade during the season. The players involved will depend on the team's situation as of then.

Ultimately I do have confidence in managment if they have confidence in players, but if they are planning on Jokinen who has never scored 20 goals and netted 7 in the regular season (I know he had a great playoffs) (oh and I do think Jokinen can score 20 but to count on it is something different) and Brindy, who I think had lost a step before the knee injury (and reinjury) to fill Cullen's shoes...well I have confidence that they don't have confidence in that so we're fine.

I think this discussion should be called, "Tell What You Would Do As GM, and Icefrog and caniac97 Will Tell You Why You Suck At Life."

The "Ignore Option" does wonders for this type of irritation.

It is called opinion-itis and is rarely fatal.

LOL

IMO, Samsonov isn't going anywhere. Teams are not going to want his contract (2 years at 2.5 and 2.8) because of his past struggles with Chicago and Montreal.

Guys that are moveable.

Babchuk - Can we trade his rights for a draft pick? Or sign and trade? Still only 25.

Whitney - Would be a perfect fit for a team looking for a one-year fix at scoring wing.

Cullen - Of all the fowards, we might get the most in return for him.

Corvo - See cullen, but with the defensemen.

Eaves - Overpriced for last years production, but he skates, hits and has scoring potential. All it takes is one team to like him.

Kaberle - Don't laugh. We wouldn't get much for him (future considerations), but a team that isn't against the cap (PHX, NYI) and needs a 3rd pairing OD could do a lot worse. Expiring contract makes him more attractive. 2.2 million is overpriced, but is also not going to break the bank either.

That $49M currently includes .875 for Sutter, .875 for Boychuk, .500 for Dwyer and .500 for Ryan which are all two-way contracts that the Canes have to pay only when the players are playing for the NHL team. It is reasonable to think that at least one or two of those listed will play in Raleigh this year, but not all. Also included in the $49M is a .267 buyout to Jeff Hamilton which I am not sure if management cares about or not. So for argument sake, the number that is currently committed to payroll for the 2009-10 team is $46.25M or $46M depending on the significance of the buyout money and you can probably go ahead and figure in another $1M for two likely 4th line forwards/healthy scratch players: Dwyer and Ryan.

So, basically the team has about $4M give or take a little to sign both Ruutu and Babchuk and still remain at or near the $51M mark.

According to nhlnumbers, Sutter's cap hit is $1.225m even though his salary is $.875m. Any idea why this is?

I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to trade Whitney considering 1. he was our leading scorer last year, and 2. he has an NTC.

I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to trade Whitney considering 1. he was our leading scorer last year, and 2. he has an NTC.

I think "being willing" and "wanting" to trade Whitney are two different things. Yes, he was our leading scorer, and frankly, he's our playmaker on Staal's line.

I think the reasons for being willing to trade him are 1, he's 37; 2, he's in the last year of his contract; 3, he's a $3.5m hit to our cap; 4, we have an abundance of wingers; 5, we'd get something pretty good in return, despite his age.

If you're going to get something for Whitney, now is the time. He's a 1st line winger with point/game capabilities. I don't doubt that we need that as much as the next team, but the Wizard definitely tailed off in the POs.

Check this out: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=lebrun_pierre''>http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=lebrun_pierre' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=lebrun_pierre[/post]

We have forwards; they have D-men. Some have suggested Ian White, who would be affordable.

Maybe JR needs a good detective.

This is the best suggestion I have seen so far and is probably actually doable (Eaves+draft pick for White) as they are probably one of the few teams in the league that could use Eaves on their third line. White wouldn't be my first choice as he is a smaller more offensive minded Defenseman while we probably are more in need of a larger defensive defenseman but none the less this trade would still benefit our team greatly at this point and at least put us in contention to get to the point at the trade deadline where we can pick up a big D-man if we are looking good for the playoffs.

Any chance the Canes might take a flyer on Brendan Morrison? He will come cheap, has upside, and could help strengthen us up the middle. I understand this probably a secondary or even tertiary concern behind finding a scoring winger and Komisarek/Ward-type Dman, but it's still in the realm of possibility, right?

Thoughts??