The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Any chance the Canes might take a flyer on Brendan Morrison? He will come cheap, has upside, and could help strengthen us up the middle. I understand this probably a secondary or even tertiary concern behind finding a scoring winger and Komisarek/Ward-type Dman, but it's still in the realm of possibility, right?

Thoughts??

We have far too many centers as is and with Sutter/Boychuk coming up (Both natural centers) I doubt we are looking to strengthen up the middle. JR said we have so many centers Brind'Amour will have to fight to even make the team next year. Good thought on a good player but like you said I think we have too many other issues to work out before we even consider something like that.

Since the Ruutu thread got locked, I'll put the update here. Like I've said before, I'd be shocked if this got to arbitration:

Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said he hopes to lock restricted free agent Tuomo Ruutu up with a two- or three-year deal.

Rutherford, reached by phone, also said the team was pursuing a couple of free agents to add depth to the team, which could occur as soon as today or tomorrow.

Rutherford wouldn

Since the Ruutu thread got locked, I'll put the update here. Like I've said before, I'd be shocked if this got to arbitration:

Pretty interesting to see us pursuing other free agents. Maybe PK's budget is a little higher this year?

Pretty interesting to see us pursuing other free agents. Maybe PK's budget is a little higher this year?

With Jason Karmonos doing the negotiating they are most like River Rats, Jason handles all the Rat contracts and JR the Canes.

I think "being willing" and "wanting" to trade Whitney are two different things. Yes, he was our leading scorer, and frankly, he's our playmaker on Staal's line.

I think the reasons for being willing to trade him are 1, he's 37; 2, he's in the last year of his contract; 3, he's a $3.5m hit to our cap; 4, we have an abundance of wingers; 5, we'd get something pretty good in return, despite his age.

If you're going to get something for Whitney, now is the time. He's a 1st line winger with point/game capabilities. I don't doubt that we need that as much as the next team, but the Wizard definitely tailed off in the POs.

Setting aside the above - trading a near-PPG player who's paid $3.5 mil is not something that makes sense to me in the boundaries that JR works in - you do undertand NTC = No trade clause? If you're in dreamland fine, I just prefer to accept the bounds of reality. And yes, I know players waive NTC in very rare circumstances, but again, reality here - it ain't gonna happen.

As far as the Whitney debate, I don't care how old he is. So, he's 37... what does that mean? When he was 36-37 years old he lead the team in points... giving Staal, the young 'next coming' a strong competition for scoring title of the franchise. So, does that mean that Staal is only as good as a "37-year-old" or that Whitney plays like he is 10-13 years younger? You are as young as you feel. This is true for a lot of pro athletes, and Ray is no exception. I wouldn't (for the sake of theory, because it wont happen anyway) trade or try to trade our most consistant forward (and a top two line man) for anything. I didn't get the "trade Whitney" movement last season, and I don't get it now. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

People are mentioning Whitney b/c you have to give to get. Looking at our roster, Whitney is a valuable player that other teams would want. However, him having a No Trade Clause pretty much ensures he isn't going anywhere unless he gives JR the ok.

You are also have to keep in mind though that if a GM calls JR inquiring about Whitney he wouldn't just hang up on them. Who would have thought that Stillman would have been traded? If I recall Stillman was up there in points with Staal and had a NTC.

Its not that people are wanting to trade Whitney, but if you are going after a Top 4 defensemen, Whitney is who teams are going to want. You can't give your trash away unless you are getting trash back.

People are mentioning Whitney b/c you have to give to get. Looking at our roster, Whitney is a valuable player that other teams would want. However, him having a No Trade Clause pretty much ensures he isn't going anywhere unless he gives JR the ok.

You are also have to keep in mind though that if a GM calls JR inquiring about Whitney he wouldn't just hang up on them. Who would have thought that Stillman would have been traded? If I recall Stillman was up there in points with Staal and had a NTC.

I see your point. But it wont happen, so I am wondering why people talk about it. But I do see the other reasons why he is a candidate for a trade (other than the NTC, of course).

You can't give your trash away unless you are getting trash back.

I hope Jussi isn't reading... lol. JR can get away with a few one-sided deals, once in a while.

Jussi is one of those rare cases that Tampa thought they were giving trash for trash.

They were probably high fiving and slapping each other on the back.

"We really got over on those hicks in Carolina. That Jussi will never amount to anything and we got two players."

"What two?"

"It doesn't matter what two. We gave up one and got two. That's got to be twice as good."

They were probably high fiving and slapping each other on the back.

"We really got over on those hicks in Carolina. That Jussi will never amount to anything and we got two players."

"What two?"

"It doesn't matter what two. We gave up one and got two. That's got to be twice as good."

Funny thing is those gumba's were probably saying just that after the deal was done.

When talking about trading Whitney, it depends on what he's being traded FOR. Personally, I don't think he gets traded at all. But if he was to be traded, it wouldn't be for defense. Trading Whitney for a defenseman would cost the team too much scoring. As for trading him for a forward.. I don't think JR would get equal value in return for Whitney because of his age and short contract remaining.

It's not like I have it out for Cullen, but it seems to me he'd most likely be the one traded, IF Sutter/Boychuk make the team. That's 2 natural centers added to the team. The coaching staff can't make ALL their centers play wing. I think Cullen's one of the better 2-way centers in the league. He's quality, and I believe the team would get quality in return for him.

I think JR puts on a good front, but Babchuk will be signed for about 1.25-1.4 mill... or of course, traded for next to nothing...

When talking about trading Whitney, it depends on what he's being traded FOR. Personally, I don't think he gets traded at all. But if he was to be traded, it wouldn't be for defense. Trading Whitney for a defenseman would cost the team too much scoring. As for trading him for a forward.. I don't think JR would get equal value in return for Whitney because of his age and short contract remaining.

It's not like I have it out for Cullen, but it seems to me he'd most likely be the one traded, IF Sutter/Boychuk make the team. That's 2 natural centers added to the team. The coaching staff can't make ALL their centers play wing. I think Cullen's one of the better 2-way centers in the league. He's quality, and I believe the team would get quality in return for him.

I think JR puts on a good front, but Babchuk will be signed for about 1.25-1.4 mill... or of course, traded for next to nothing...

Wow, I spoke before I read JR's comments.

"I told his agent that if he finds a team that is interested enough that I'd be willing to move him," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

That's a pretty bold statement, and it looks like the possibility of Babchuk returning is getting slimmer by the day...

"I told his agent that if he finds a team that is interested enough that I'd be willing to move him," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

That's a pretty bold statement, and it looks like the possibility of Babchuk returning is getting slimmer by the day...

I wonder if that might open the door for Seids coming back? Or if that is a dead issue.

That $49M currently includes .875 for Sutter, .875 for Boychuk, .500 for Dwyer and .500 for Ryan which are all two-way contracts that the Canes have to pay only when the players are playing for the NHL team. It is reasonable to think that at least one or two of those listed will play in Raleigh this year, but not all. Also included in the $49M is a .267 buyout to Jeff Hamilton which I am not sure if management cares about or not. So for argument sake, the number that is currently committed to payroll for the 2009-10 team is $46.25M or $46M depending on the significance of the buyout money and you can probably go ahead and figure in another $1M for two likely 4th line forwards/healthy scratch players: Dwyer and Ryan.

So, basically the team has about $4M give or take a little to sign both Ruutu and Babchuk and still remain at or near the $51M mark.

If this is the case, then there should be the room to give Ruutu the 3.0 million that he is deserved/expecting... We know the QO for Babs is 1 million and won't go above that. Hopefully this means a deal with Ruutu is around the corner.

If this is the case, then there should be the room to give Ruutu the 3.0 million that he is deserved/expecting... We know the QO for Babs is 1 million and won't go above that. Hopefully this means a deal with Ruutu is around the corner.

i don't think Ruutu is about $$$ as much as length, I think JR wants to lock him up for three but he might be thinking about being a UFA next summer.

While it could be posturing, there really seems to be some bad blood between JR and either Babchuk or his agent or both. I't really too bad, because defenseman who have the potential to score 20 goals are not that common. But JR just doesn't like him it is probably best to get something for him. A trade would make the most sense. He must have some trade value. On the other hand, he is coming off being benched due to a dismal playoff performance. If JR could just get him singed, let him play on the top 4 for a while, get a few goals, then trade him it would seem he could get more for him. Over all JR has proven himself a very shrewd trader, but if there is bad blood there, he might take less than fair value. Hopefully not.

Those who think we are good at center without Cullen should rethink that. Brindy is FAR from a sure thing and is as likely to revert to Mr. Minus as he is to regain his old form. Sutter is a rookie who was sent down and never made it back up even when we were recalling some Rats. He will likely be good, but it is far from certain (same with the other young talents). Jokinen is a nice player who had a great playoffs but only scored 7 goals in over 70 games and has never scored 20 goals. Again, Cullen is the last none Staal or Ward to trade.

I was early on the Whitney thing. It was more of a discussion starter, looking down the roster and seeing who could bring us something back, and who might be near an age related decline. The idea of trading your most reliable scorer is not a naturally good idea (and a NTC to boot), but despite thinking that players can play forever, Whitney is going to have an age related dropoff one of the next 2-3 years. If we could package him plus someone else, and a pick, and get a bigger, younger legit first line winger....probably never happen, but it would be worth at least thinking about.

I'm sorry, but it just makes no sense to me that JR would bring Babchuk back from Russia just to turnaround and be spiteful. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't add up.

I'm sorry, but it just makes no sense to me that JR would bring Babchuk back from Russia just to turnaround and be spiteful. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't add up.

JR didn't bring him back, he was contacted by Babs agent about playing again. JR gave him the chance and now they are playing games.