The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

JR didn't bring him back, he was contacted by Babs agent about playing again. JR gave him the chance and now they are playing games.

Listen Mr. I Know Everything, the bottom line is JR agreed to bring Babs back. That's what I just said.

Wow, I spoke before I read JR's comments.

"I told his agent that if he finds a team that is interested enough that I'd be willing to move him," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

That's a pretty bold statement, and it looks like the possibility of Babchuk returning is getting slimmer by the day...

In the N&O article this morning Jason Karmonas says that "enlight of the Babchuk situation, we are looking to fill our defensive holes."

So not only is JR saying Babchuk is out, but so is Jason.

I'm sorry, but it just makes no sense to me that JR would bring Babchuk back from Russia just to turnaround and be spiteful. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't add up.

JR brought him back in hopes that he grew up, matured. He hasn't yet. He's been known to have attitude problems, its one of the reasons Chicago was willing to trade him, b/c he gave them the same tude. JR is likely sick of it as Chicago got sick of it.

JR didn't bring him back, he was contacted by Babs agent about playing again. JR gave him the chance and now they are playing games.

There had to be a mutual agreement for Babchuk to come back though.

JR brought him back in hopes that he grew up, matured. He hasn't yet. He's been known to have attitude problems, its one of the reasons Chicago was willing to trade him, b/c he gave them the same tude. JR is likely sick of it as Chicago got sick of it.

And this keeps being brought up, but there continues to be no evidence for it. What attitude problem has Babchuk had since returning from Russia? He's got an attitude problem because he thinks JR is lowballing him? That'd be great evidence, except if JR really is only offering 1 million, then he is lowballing Babs and he's got every reason to have an attitude in this situation.

JR seems like the type to forgive but not forget. Babchuk made a mistake by not reporting to the minors and eventually leaving to play in Russia subsequently voiding his arbitration rights. Now JR holds all the cards, has a strict budget he must adhere to and is playing his hand shrewdly. Babchuk has no one to blame but himself.

Wow been away from the boards and it looks like NO NEWS IS..well still..NO NEWS.

Good discussion though. It looks like we all think Ruutu will be signed but many of us

think a trade may be coming.

The one thing nobody wants to mention is perhaps trading one of the Rats with

one of our roster players. The one name that keeps entering my mind is Sutter.

I would hate it but coupled with a Cane he would bring the biggest return.

Wow been away from the boards and it looks like NO NEWS IS..well still..NO NEWS.

Good discussion though. It looks like we all think Ruutu will be signed but many of us

think a trade may be coming.

The one thing nobody wants to mention is perhaps trading one of the Rats with

one of our roster players. The one name that keeps entering my mind is Sutter.

I would hate it but coupled with a Cane he would bring the biggest return.

I was hoping, and still am hoping to keep Babs for the next season, because he can really be very good at times. I was thinking we could deal him around the deadline too if we wanted, because it's obvious whenever he becomes a UFA he will leave the Canes, so unless he had undoubtedly proved his worth by then I would rather get a small return and give him to another team. However I'm really wondering what kind of return we can get for him, he has good potential still and put up 16 goals last year. I'm trying to work out some deal in my head that would somehow get us Frolov, but I can't think of any unless its a really complicated 3 way deal of some sort.

I'm hoping we don't try to trade for any upcoming picks though, because the next two drafts are supposed to be really weak.

Listen Mr. I Know Everything, the bottom line is JR agreed to bring Babs back. That's what I just said.

Thanks for the compliment!

And this keeps being brought up, but there continues to be no evidence for it. What attitude problem has Babchuk had since returning from Russia? He's got an attitude problem because he thinks JR is lowballing him? That'd be great evidence, except if JR really is only offering 1 million, then he is lowballing Babs and he's got every reason to have an attitude in this situation.

And Frogg, that's exactly why it makes no sense at all. Again, I can find no fault with Babchuk refusing to sign the QO JR offered based upon his play this year. With the statements being made early that Seids will not be pursued, it doesn't add up that JR would not offer him something above and beyond what he made this year knowing losing 2 players would leave us with this:

Gleason, Corvo, Pitkanen, Wallin, Kaberle and River Rats to plug the holes.

I know you don't want to see it, but attitude and Babchuk have been in the same sentence since he was drafted. The attitude just didn't come out when he didn't report to Albany 2 years ago. He had attitude in Chicago and he has shown that attitude here. Let's not forget that he threw a water bottle at a fan in the AHL.

And I'm sorry but he hasn't proven anything to show me he is worth more than $1M. What do you think he is worth? Yeah he scored 16 goals, but he isn't very good defensively and don't go throwing +/- stats out cause Pitkanen made up for a lot of wrong that Babchuk did. I lost count on how many times Pitkanen prevented a breakaway that Babchuk caused. Yeah the 16 goals is good don't get me wrong, but he has ALOT of improving to do on the defensive end and what I saw last year, doesn't show me that he is worth anymore than $1M.

If he is smart, he would take the QO and work his butt off to prove to the league that he is worth more than $1M and that he won't be a defensive liability while he's on the ice. Once he hits UFA, he can go wherever he wants and sign for whatever he wants.

And I have to ask if he is so great and worth more than $1M, then why hasn't any team thrown an offer sheet at him. If they offer him $1.5M, that's only a 3rd round pick. That's peanuts. JR has told his agent to find a team that wants him and he'll let him go. Apparently there are no takers as of yet or he would have been gone weeks ago.

Your welcome, glad to have been of service to you!

Okay Caniac97 - I stated my opinion that bringing Babchuk back (via his agent if that makes you happy) just to be spiteful (i.e. lowballing him by offering him no raise at all) makes no sense to me. If you have something productive to offer I'm all ears, otherwise shut the hell up.

Okay Caniac97 - I stated my opinion that bringing Babchuk back (via his agent if that makes you happy) just to be spiteful (i.e. lowballing him by offering him no raise at all) makes no sense to me. If you have something productive to offer I'm all ears, otherwise shut the hell up.

see Caniac247's post above you if you don't understand the lowballing.

My guess is that it is the agent is causing the Babchuk problems. Although Babchuk was the one mad at having to go to Albany, it was his agent who recommended him to go back to Russia. Instead of just sulking and taking the two weeks in Albany until rosters were expanded, the agent nuked the whole deal. If he just sucked it up, they wouldn't be in this spot right now and his boy would be looking at arbitration in a few weeks. My guess is that the agent tipped his hat too soon, told JR that his client would never sign with the Canes after this season was up. If so, what motivation does Jimmy have to give Babs any more money than he absolutely has to. Babs has made himself a pawn and should do what he should have done in the first place, suck it up play well, quietly demand a trade so as not to hurt his trade value or know that the payday will come after this year anyway.

There has to be something more about the Babs situation that we don't know. I stated days ago that it didn't make a lot of sense the way it's been handled. Babs did more than we thought he would do but Jimmy has been public with his statements that Babs would have earned a bigger contract if he still had any arbitration rights. That kind of talk to the press really is sticking it to the guy. I would think that there must have been something that was said or occured to bring that on. If the deal is about Babs' attitude from a couple of years ago, I wouldn't think he would have been brought back at all.

It is a bit perplexing.

I know you don't want to see it, but attitude and Babchuk have been in the same sentence since he was drafted. The attitude just didn't come out when he didn't report to Albany 2 years ago. He had attitude in Chicago and he has shown that attitude here. Let's not forget that he threw a water bottle at a fan in the AHL.

And I'm sorry but he hasn't proven anything to show me he is worth more than $1M. What do you think he is worth? Yeah he scored 16 goals, but he isn't very good defensively and don't go throwing +/- stats out cause Pitkanen made up for a lot of wrong that Babchuk did. I lost count on how many times Pitkanen prevented a breakaway that Babchuk caused. Yeah the 16 goals is good don't get me wrong, but he has ALOT of improving to do on the defensive end and what I saw last year, doesn't show me that he is worth anymore than $1M.

If he is smart, he would take the QO and work his butt off to prove to the league that he is worth more than $1M and that he won't be a defensive liability while he's on the ice. Once he hits UFA, he can go wherever he wants and sign for whatever he wants.

And I have to ask if he is so great and worth more than $1M, then why hasn't any team thrown an offer sheet at him. If they offer him $1.5M, that's only a 3rd round pick. That's peanuts. JR has told his agent to find a team that wants him and he'll let him go. Apparently there are no takers as of yet or he would have been gone weeks ago.

This is pretty ignorant. Babchuk scored 16 goals basically all of which were in the 2nd half of the season when he actually got playing time and you don't think he is worth $1 million? He is worth at LEAST $1.5-2 million. Open your eyes and look at every other single Dman in the league. Every single top-4 Dman especially ones with high offensive potential hover around what Corvo makes ($2.6-4 million a year). He was top 5 in plus/minus for our team! Who cares if Pitkanen makes up for his mistakes, Pitkanen could STILL make up for his mistakes next year and Babs could easily be a 20+ goal scorer.

How could you possibly call Babchuk a defensive liability when we have Corvo (who could really care less about defense) and Kaberle (easily the worst defensman in the league for what he makes) who are much older. I think anyone who says that Babs isn't worth signing for a long time at $1.5-2 million a year is an ignorant fool. Babs was a first round overall draft pick and has just turned 25 years old which is when most defenseman begin to show their true skill. You don't have to jump on JR's side just because he has a serious grudge against him for some reason.

Thank you for speaking sense. If you are an NHL defenseman making $1 million a year, and you have a breakout year in which you are a top 3 goal scoring Defenseman for the second half of the whole season in the whole NHL. You deserve a raise. To think otherwise is complete ignorant nonsense. It doesn't have to be a huge raise, but a raise is expected. To have your own boss come out and say "hey, you deserve a raise but since you don't have any arbitration rights you can take what I want to give your or you can *edit*I would have an attitude also. I'm 100% on Babs side on this one and I truly hope if Rutherford is really going to be this stubborn about it that another team picks him up for peanuts and he turns into the Mike Green of last season. If you look at the stats I think you will find that Mike Green and Babchuk are extremely similar in how they have progressed and it bodes quite well for how Babs will perform next season, I was saying that at the end of last season when I was positive we would lock him up but I guess not due to JR acting like a stubborn child about the whole situation.

This is pretty ignorant. Babchuk scored 16 goals basically all of which were in the 2nd half of the season when he actually got playing time and you don't think he is worth $1 million? He is worth at LEAST $1.5-2 million. Open your eyes and look at every other single Dman in the league. Every single top-4 Dman especially ones with high offensive potential hover around what Corvo makes ($2.6-4 million a year). He was top 5 in plus/minus for our team! Who cares if Pitkanen makes up for his mistakes, Pitkanen could STILL make up for his mistakes next year and Babs could easily be a 20+ goal scorer.

How could you possibly call Babchuk a defensive liability when we have Corvo (who could really care less about defense) and Kaberle (easily the worst defensman in the league for what he makes) who are much older. I think anyone who says that Babs isn't worth signing for a long time at $1.5-2 million a year is an ignorant fool. Babs was a first round overall draft pick and has just turned 25 years old which is when most defenseman begin to show their true skill. You don't have to jump on JR's side just because he has a serious grudge against him for some reason.

We don't really know what's going on here. Everyone quotes JR as if what he says to the media is a transparent look into the negotiations. They're not. Has anyone considered that JR said "If Cole and LaRose don't sign by July 1, then I consider them going somewhere else." And yet, before the 4th rolled around, both were re-signed.

JR postures. He uses the media as part of his negotiation. And we all suck it up like it's fact.

I will say this: Babchuk screwed himself by going to Russia and losing his arbitration rights. There's also a decent argument to be made that he's NOT a top 4 defenseman.

If any of this ... vehemence... is real, then I see Babs either getting an offer sheet and leaving or sucking it up and taking the 1 year deal, then taking off. We'll try to deal him to get something back for him.

Heres some quick stats for all the Babchuk doubters out there. Last season in the WHOLE NHL Babs was:

Tied for 5th in overall D goals (16)

Tied for 71st in overall D assists (19)

Tied for 38th in overall D points (35)

Tied for 26th in overall D plus/minus (+13)

Tied for 8th in overall D PPG (9)

Tied for 3rd in overall D Game Winning Goals (4)

Heres one of my favorite: 2nd overall D shooting % (12.6% Only behind Mike Green)

Now, please explain to me why being top 40 in almost every single stat that NHL.com has to offer across the WHOLE of NHL defensemen including being top 5 (in the whole NHL) in every goal scoring category... Doesn't deserve a raise from $1 million to $1.5 million. This isn't even factoring in that almost every single one of these stats came in the 2nd half of the season because Maurice actually played him.

Do you see the ignorance yet?

Edit: He might not be a top-4 Dman yet, but he is only 25 and certainly has the making. Defenseman mature later than forwards, that is a fact of the NHL. 25 years old is pretty standard for a top-4 defenseman to break out. He also has the makings of a great PP quarterback.

I will also say when Mike Green did almost the exact same stat wise the season before last what did Washington do? They complimented his season and locked him up for 4 years. This happens to Babchuk last season and what do we do? Say he can take his $0 raise or can leave because we have his rights and he lost his right to arbitration, mentioning nothing about the great season he just had. Stupid move that I see coming back to haunt JR, not that I think he will care because he obviously seriously dislikes him.

And I have to ask if he is so great and worth more than $1M, then why hasn't any team thrown an offer sheet at him?

Excellent question.

This.

Heres some quick stats for all the Babchuk doubters out there. Last season in the WHOLE NHL Babs was:

Heres one of my favorite: 2nd overall D shooting % (12.6% Only behind Mike Green)

Now, please explain to me why being top 40 in almost every single stat that NHL.com has to offer across the WHOLE of NHL defensemen including being top 5 (in the whole NHL) in every goal scoring category... Doesn't deserve a raise from $1 million to $1.5 million. This isn't even factoring in that almost every single one of these stats came in the 2nd half of the season because Maurice actually played him.

Edit: He might not be a top-4 Dman yet, but he is only 25 and certainly has the making. Defenseman mature later than forwards, that is a fact of the NHL. 25 years old is pretty standard for a top-4 defenseman to break out. He also has the makings of a great PP quarterback.

I will also say when Mike Green did almost the exact same stat wise the season before last what did Washington do? They complimented his season and locked him up for 4 years. This happens to Babchuk last season and what do we do? Say he can take his $0 raise or can leave because we have his rights and he lost his right to arbitration, mentioning nothing about the great season he just had. Stupid move that I see coming back to haunt JR, not that I think he will care because he obviously seriously dislikes him.

HAHAHHAA I know who you are. You're that guy AntonBabchuck from HF that has a huge man crush on babchuk and posted he MUST BE SIGNED!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! HF is kinda quiet these days.

All the arguments you make are good and fine but you really need to take them up with JR. There is nothing I or anyone else on this message board can do and I doubt JR cruises here for negotiation ideas. There are no pay scale based on stats in the NHL, you get what your agent negotiates. Maybe the problem isn't with the team but Babs agent.

HAHAHHAA I know who you are. You're that guy AntonBabchuck from HF that has a huge man crush on babchuk and posted he MUST BE SIGNED!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! HF is kinda quiet these days.

that would explain alot!! But it looks like he misspelled the last name, if you are gonna have a huge man crush you should at least have enough respect to spell the man's name right.