The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/5/23/884986/jim-rutherford-who-needs' target="_blank">http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/5/23/88498...rford-who-needs[/post]

There's a quote from a DeCock article that says pretty much that.

You can also look at Rutherford's drafting history and it becomes obvious. He's drafted 115 players, 66 forwards, 37 defensemen, and 12 goalies. However, as the above link states, after Johnson, he hasn't drafted a defenseman higher than the 105th overall.

This appears to be you're speculation/opinion rather than JR's actual draft plans, there is a difference. Nothing wrong with opinions, but there is a difference and when opinions are represented as fact, thats how rumors start.

That was also Luke's words, not Jr's, based on exactly what I what I thought you were referencing, the JJ fiasco (funny how Luke and I used the same word there).

http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/5/23/884986/jim-rutherford-who-needs' target="_blank">http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/5/23/88498...rford-who-needs[/post]

You can also look at Rutherford's drafting history and it becomes obvious. He's drafted 115 players, 66 forwards, 37 defensemen, and 12 goalies. However, as the above link states, after Johnson, he hasn't drafted a defenseman higher than the 105th overall.

Uh, we did just draft Brian Dumoulin, a defensemen in the 2nd round (51st).

This appears to be you're speculation/opinion rather than JR's actual draft plans, there is a difference. Nothing wrong with opinions, but there is a difference and when opinions are represented as fact, thats how rumors start.

That was also Luke's words, not Jr's, based on exactly what I what I thought you were referencing, the JJ fiasco (funny how Luke and I used the same word there).

Except the JJ fiasco has clearly affected JR's drafting style, which is what Luke was saying there.

There's also this:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11294/hurricanes2009_draft_preview/' target="_blank">http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1129..._draft_preview/[/post]

Team Needs

Despite depth up front, Carolina will likely look for a forward in the first round. General manager Jim Rutherford has expressed his reluctance several times to use his No. 1 pick on defense, a position he would rather fill through trade or free agency than slowly develop. But expect the team

I really didn't think it was a secret that J.R. would rather draft forwards and trade for dmen. I'm pretty sure he said as much a couple of years ago.

But which should we believe, your signature or your post!! :lol:

But a team needs twice as many forwards as defensemen at all times. So, based on that he should have drafted 37 defenseman and 74 forwards rather than 66. Kind of a lot of goalies though. Maybe you have to have a bunch of goalies to find one that will stick.

Except the JJ fiasco has clearly affected JR's drafting style, which is what Luke was saying there.

There's also this:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11294/hurricanes2009_draft_preview/' target="_blank">http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1129..._draft_preview/[/post]

The writer's a respectable one, so I wouldn't expect them to throw out a comment like that without some proof.

A respectable fan who happens to blog. Sorry, still no proof, just another opinion. Check out his following sentence:

But expect the team's second- or third-round pick - or both - to be used on defense.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1113140.html

Rutherford's position then was that by the time a defenseman has developed into an NHL player, he's ready to become a free agent.

Sorry to keep bringing it up in parts, but obviously any research I'm doing right now is muddled by the news stories about this past draft. It's hard to find anything from even just a couple years ago. He's had a couple more quotes similar to that, just having trouble finding them.

Sorry but none of this stuff really proves anything. JR is correct that by the time a defensemen hits his prime, he's a UFA, but if doesn't prove that he wouldn't draft a defensemen in the first round if one came available at his pick who was at the top of his list. JR isn't the ONLY one making the decisions. He relys on his scouts, Ron Francis and Jason Karmonas. Its a group decision.

And back on topic...Any progress with Ruutu? And lets say we do lock him up, and we try to find a free agent defencemen. What are everyones opinions on Ossi Vaananen and Dmitri Kalinin? Are they worth it? How much would they cost?

JR isn't the ONLY one making the decisions. He relys on his scouts, Ron Francis and Jason Karmonas. Its a group decision.

JR also said the drafting is mainly up to Tony Macdonald.

And back on topic...Any progress with Ruutu? And lets say we do lock him up, and we try to find a free agent defencemen. What are everyones opinions on Ossi Vaananen and Dmitri Kalinin? Are they worth it? How much would they cost?

While I cannot opine as to the price, I agree that Vaananen and Kalinin are 2 of the most intrguing d-men currently available. If JR truly believes he will lose both DS & AB, I would like to see some interest thrown at those two. I think they both have huge upsides. However, I have yet to read anything that mentions the Canes talking to them.

Just looking purely at numbers, Vaananen had 1 goal 10 assists 22 PIM in 49 games with both Phoenix and Vancouver. He's a UFA coming off a 1.00 million a year contract. He was claimed off waivers from Philly by the Canucks and only played 3 games with them. Seems like no one wants him. He'd probably have to sign for less than 1 mil since I doubt he can be shopping for a raise. If he would sign in the .500-.750 mil range JR might give him a look... if he's asking 1.5+ no way. I know G/A/+ is not the be all end all for a dman, but he got dumped by Philly and rode the pine in Vancouver.. he's a pressbox/depth guy it looks like. He's also 29 for what that's worth.

Kalinin has been with the sabres for a while, his best year was 34 points in 03-04, he split last year with the Rangers and Yotes. He has a bigger contract at 2.1mil a year. He could have promise. I don't know if he has injury problems, or is low on the depth chart since 06-07 with Buffalo is his only year with 82 games played. The other years range from 46-73. I know Buffalo seems to always have good D, so he could have been low on their depth chart but would do well on ours. He had a couple good years in Buffalo in 05-06 and 06-07 where he had 18p +14 and 29p +19 respectively. He's low in PIM so is he an "offensive defensemen"? It seems we don't need another one of those. Kalinin had a long stint at Buffalo then was traded twice as he neared free agency, whether thats good or bad is anyone's guess. He's probably looking for something in the 2.5-3 mil range that we may not can afford.

I don't know anything about these guy's styles or previous situations, this is just a quick glance at both stats and salary numbers. And as they say this is just my humble opinion.

Well Vaananen is another Finn so I'm sure he'd fit in just fine. ;)

He would be cheap, but not sure he's the answer.

DeVries is still out there as well and frankly, as a free agent, with Mara off the list, he's the best out there.

I know JR is patient but who will be left when he does make a move? Sorry, just a little impatient here ;)

Most likely he will be making a trade and not signing someone, unless he trades for an RFA.

I know JR is patient but who will be left when he does make a move? Sorry, just a little impatient here ;)

agreed. there have been several signings that could have worked i think. i am assuming he is just planning on making a trade.

Well Vaananen is another Finn so I'm sure he'd fit in just fine. ;)

He would be cheap, but not sure he's the answer.

DeVries is still out there as well and frankly, as a free agent, with Mara off the list, he's the best out there.

Sad to see Mara go. I know there probably wasnt a chance in hell we would have signed him, but he is exactly what the team needed.

I'd like to see Rutherford take another chance and not take the safe route this offseason. You would think that the recent acquisitions and successes of players like Samsonov, Ruutu, Pitkanen, and Jokinen would be enough to convince Rutherford that it isn't always bad to look outside of the organization for help.

I say this because the one player that is still on the market that I think would be the perfect fit here is Alex Tanguay. He could really fill the void on the top-line that has never really been filled since Stillman was traded. I know it won't happen and can't happen, because of past contracts that Rutherford has handcuffed this organization with, but I really like the look of this potential line-up:

Tanguay / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Ruutu

Samsonov / Jokinen / LaRose

Eaves / Brind'Amour / Walker

I'd like to see Rutherford take another chance and not take the safe route this offseason. You would think that the recent acquisitions and successes of players like Samsonov, Ruutu, Pitkanen, and Jokinen would be enough to convince Rutherford that it isn't always bad to look outside of the organization for help.

I say this because the one player that is still on the market that I think would be the perfect fit here is Alex Tanguay. He could really fill the void on the top-line that has never really been filled since Stillman was traded. I know it won't happen and can't happen, because of past contracts that Rutherford has handcuffed this organization with, but I really like the look of this potential line-up:

Tanguay / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Ruutu

Samsonov / Jokinen / LaRose

Eaves / Brind'Amour / Walker

I don't know what the chances are of us getting Tanguay, but your line up is a visual display of what a first line winger would do to the lines. It shifts everything down and makes us instantly better, but not only better, but deeper in a way that would allow for injuries or more likely a trade to either free up salary or get a dman. It is pretty unconventional to have a 4th line like the one you list, but think of how good we would be rolling that 4th line far more often than normal and keeping everyone more rested.

What's interesting also, is that this would probably be possible if the Canes could spend up to the cap without trading anyone.

I'm interested to see how Brindy fits in this year. If he doesn't have a good camp, JR has all ready stated it's no use he be here to play 4th line minutes. He also stated he would have to compete for a spot like everyone else. I really, really hope Brindy can turn things around with a hole offseason to heal up and get stronger, but a bad camp puts JR in a pickle with Brindy.