The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I'm interested to see how Brindy fits in this year. If he doesn't have a good camp, JR has all ready stated it's no use he be here to play 4th line minutes. He also stated he would have to compete for a spot like everyone else. I really, really hope Brindy can turn things around with a hole offseason to heal up and get stronger, but a bad camp puts JR in a pickle with Brindy.

If Brind'Amour is THAT bad in camp, I would expect to see him retire before the season starts so they wouldn't have to deal with that situation.

I'm interested to see how Brindy fits in this year. If he doesn't have a good camp, JR has all ready stated it's no use he be here to play 4th line minutes. He also stated he would have to compete for a spot like everyone else. I really, really hope Brindy can turn things around with a hole offseason to heal up and get stronger, but a bad camp puts JR in a pickle with Brindy.

It could be a PR nightmare if Brindy can't at least hang onto the third line. If Brindy truly has lost it, he will be untradeable. The only thing left would be waivers. Since nobody would pick him up, does he go to Albany? Would somebody be interested at 50% off on re-entry? I doubt that too if he can't contribute.

If Brind'Amour is THAT bad in camp, I would expect to see him retire before the season starts so they wouldn't have to deal with that situation.

...and walk away and leave 6 million on the table? The guy has an ex-wife and those don't come cheap.

I'd like to see Rutherford take another chance and not take the safe route this offseason. You would think that the recent acquisitions and successes of players like Samsonov, Ruutu, Pitkanen, and Jokinen would be enough to convince Rutherford that it isn't always bad to look outside of the organization for help.

I say this because the one player that is still on the market that I think would be the perfect fit here is Alex Tanguay. He could really fill the void on the top-line that has never really been filled since Stillman was traded. I know it won't happen and can't happen, because of past contracts that Rutherford has handcuffed this organization with, but I really like the look of this potential line-up:

Tanguay / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Ruutu

Samsonov / Jokinen / LaRose

Eaves / Brind'Amour / Walker

I like Tanguay as well. But what about Maxim Afinogenov? He really hasn't done anything the last two seasons, so shouldn't be that expensive. However, he still has speed, and maybe this guy just needs a brand new start with a new team.. You know? Is he a first line winger? I dunno.. Maybe could be come one as the season goes on.. I had a little thought.. (probably won't happen.. but who knows.. - lets hear what you think about this Icefrog and caniac 97!) (If we do sign either Tanguay or Afinogenov), we do a sign and trade with Ruutu. We trade Ruutu, Eaves, and Kabs to Boston or Recchi and Ward. WAIT WAIT!! Before you start your, "NO WAY!" Yes, I know they are both older.. But still.. Ward still has a few good years left in him, and that would certainly solve our defensive problems. Recchi has one year left, but with all of the changes coming next offseason anyway, why not get a one year contract guy? Plus, Recchi can still play.

I know what most of you are probably thinking, "But Ruutu scored 26 goals last season!" Yeah, I know.. But we also didn't have Cole all season either, who I think will pick up his game.. The only thing I'm not sure about..Would Boston even make this trade.. Maybe if we through in a draft pick? I dunno.. Boston would be getting a great player in Ruutu,a guy in Eaves who may be able to have his breakout season with them, and there d spot would be filed with Kabs, who, if they don't like, don't have to resign after this year is up. Just throwing stuff out there.. I'm getting impatient...

But this looks pretty good..

Whitney/Staal/Cole

Larose/Cullen/Afinogenov

Samsonov/Brindy/Recchi

Conboy/Jokinen/Walker

Corvo/Gleason

Ward/Pitkanen

Babchuk/Wallin

Afinogenov's a risk. All reports I've heard have been that he's simply on Ruff's **** list and that's why his play has deteriorated so much. However, even when he was playing at his best, he was a one-dimensional player. He was fast and could score, but that's about it. His defensive habits revolve around cherry-picking, and I'm not sure that's someone we'd want on the team. If he could learn to play some defense, he'd be a great pickup though.

I'd love to grab Tanguay, but I'd have to think he's out of our price range. He was injured for most of last season, but he put up 41 points in the 50 games he did play. Someone's going to overpay for him, and I don't think it'll be us.

As for the rest:

1. There's absolutely no way we'll trade Ruutu, Eaves and Kabs for Recchi and Ward. It doesn't work for either side. We'd be trading two young forwards with high potential, both signed to multi-year contracts for an older rental player that's already said he's going to finish out his career in Boston.

2. No one wants Kabs. You would think the fact he was passed over twice in waivers last year would send out a red flag, but in case it wasn't obvious: We're stuck with him. Stop including him in trade proposals.

...and walk away and leave 6 million on the table? The guy has an ex-wife and those don't come cheap.

He wouldn't be leaving $6M on the table. He signed that contract at the age of 35, therefore, if he retires, the Canes are still on the hook for his salary.

Afinogenov's a risk. All reports I've heard have been that he's simply on Ruff's **** list and that's why his play has deteriorated so much. However, even when he was playing at his best, he was a one-dimensional player. He was fast and could score, but that's about it. His defensive habits revolve around cherry-picking, and I'm not sure that's someone we'd want on the team. If he could learn to play some defense, he'd be a great pickup though.

I have heard nothing but bad things about Afinogenov (some even worse than what Frog outlined above), albeit from Buffalo fans, so take that for what it's worth.

Tanguay / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Ruutu

Wouldn't this be sweet. Of course as pointed out we don't think we

can afford Tanguay. Also as pointed out JR says Brindy must prove

he can skate at better than 4th line minutes and we would still need

to address out defensive problems.

Trading should start in the next week or so as teams start to look for

cap space. Maybe we should go "fishing".

Tanguay / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Ruutu

Wouldn't this be sweet. Of course as pointed out we don't think we

can afford Tanguay. Also as pointed out JR says Brindy must prove

he can skate at better than 4th line minutes and we would still need

to address out defensive problems.

Trading should start in the next week or so as teams start to look for

cap space. Maybe we should go "fishing".

He wouldn't be leaving $6M on the table. He signed that contract at the age of 35, therefore, if he retires, the Canes are still on the hook for his salary.

Where can I sign a contract like that?

I'm up for some sheepshead. They are plentiful in some spots I know about. :lol:

Sounds like a winner. :)

I'm up for some sheepshead. They are plentiful in some spots I know about. :lol:

Sounds like a winner. :)

So whats the deal with Seids? Anyone care to make a guess at what he's asking? I would think that his price is coming down each day now as are the other free agents. JR is maybe sitting by just waiting for the fire sale from teams over the cap. He does well that way, go get em' JR!

They are on the hook for the cap hit, but not the salary. Big difference!

I honestly think once Ruutu's signed, JR's done. He can make claims about trading all he wants, but it won't be the first time he'll use the excuse "The asking price was too high" or some other canned answer. He's got way too much confidence in Kabs/Wallin/our AHL defensemen, and I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with one of them in our top 4.

He's already said that Rodney will have to "play himself off the team" and that "one or two of McBain, Carson, and Rodney could end up playing here this season". Which is fine, assuming they play on the 3rd pairing. That means, however, that Kabs or Wallin will be playing in the Top 4, and that's a significant downgrade in our defense from last year.

I honestly think once Ruutu's signed, JR's done. He can make claims about trading all he wants, but it won't be the first time he'll use the excuse "The asking price was too high" or some other canned answer. He's got way too much confidence in Kabs/Wallin/our AHL defensemen, and I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with one of them in our top 4.

He's already said that Rodney will have to "play himself off the team" and that "one or two of McBain, Carson, and Rodney could end up playing here this season". Which is fine, assuming they play on the 3rd pairing. That means, however, that Kabs or Wallin will be playing in the Top 4, and that's a significant downgrade in our defense from last year.

This really would not surprise me, although if you come out of training camp with some obvious holes on defense, do you sit tight and hope for the best?

They are on the hook for the cap hit, but not the salary. Big difference!

are you sure?

He's right. I was thinking since the $3.6M cap hit stays with the team, we also had to pay him. But that's not the case, he'll get zilch if he retires. Now if he gets injured and retires due to injury, a la Tanabe, the team is on the hook for his salary.

He's right. I was thinking since the $3.6M cap hit stays with the team, we also had to pay him. But that's not the case, he'll get zilch if he retires. Now if he gets injured and retires due to injury, a la Tanabe, the team is on the hook for his salary.

well last season he played like he was injured!! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like Brindy but we can't handle another performance like that, at least not out of our captain. Not that I think it is going on here but I really hate it when a professional athlete tries to play past their prime. That is why I have tons of respect for Ronnie, when we came out of the lockout he knew he wasn't gonna be able to keep up at that pace, he could have gotten a contract from any team anyway but chose to retire.

According to the N&O, D-berg's agent and JR are talking again. Other highlights from that story-they are thinking about buying out Frank's contract and hope to get everything with Ruutu "resolved". No progress with Babs and they are still considering other "veteran defensemen".

According to the http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-seidenberg-talking-again' target="_blank"> N&O[/post], D-berg's agent and JR are talking again. Other highlights from that story-they are thinking about buying out Frank's contract and hope to get everything with Ruutu "resolved". No progress with Babs and they are still considering other "veteran defensemen".

If true and I

According to the http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-seidenberg-talking-again' target="_blank"> N&O[/post], D-berg's agent and JR are talking again. Other highlights from that story-they are thinking about buying out Frank's contract and hope to get everything with Ruutu "resolved". No progress with Babs and they are still considering other "veteran defensemen".

If true and I

I was reading that. Buying out Kabs would save about 1.5 mil this season but cost about 750k next year. With the contracts coming off the books next year, J.R. may do that if another dman were signed (Seids included). We don't need another season of a 2.2 million dollar suit wearer in the press box even though I am usually against buy outs. It's your typical "money for nothing" but you don't get the chicks for free (shout out to Dire Straits).

I was reading that. Buying out Kabs would save about 1.5 mil this season but cost about 750k next year. With the contracts coming off the books next year, J.R. may do that if another dman were signed (Seids included). We don't need another season of a 2.2 million dollar suit wearer in the press box even though I am usually against buy outs. It's your typical "money for nothing" but you don't get the chicks for free (shout out to Dire Straits).

I feel the same way to but this gets Kabs out of here and frees up roughly $1.5mil though we take a hit next season. After this season we won't be paying Tanabe or Hamilton so if you subtract out that then the net is only $150k.