The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

And to add, we have no prospects who are ready to play beside your franchise player, as some have suggested. If and when we get a 5-6 million dollar playmaker beside Staal, its more likely to be when the team is in good playoff position and JR can add a rental player. Or, when alot of our most experienced forwards contracts expire, which is down the road. History as shown JR is willing to patch some holes cheaply while keeping alot of the same players and the result has been mentioned.

Exactly, unfortunately we have been "trying" to get a 5-6 million dollar playmaker for about 5 years to play next to Staal and they just end up resigning our fan favorites. Is it so wrong that I was fine with Cole and Larose leaving if it meant we could use that money to afford a great first line playmaker to play next to Staal easily making him a 100 point player again? Alas season after season everyone keeps hoping we can find some first line talent and it never happens, everyone now is saying "oh yeah, next season we have a ton of money coming off the books so we can finally pick up our first liner", that's what we said last off-season about this one, if you haven't noticed we have been saying that for a very long time.

.....This team, as it's already been said, overachieved when they made it to the ECF. That's fine, always nice to see the occasional deep run, no matter how they come about....

They were an improving team through late in the year, and between the trade deadline moves and getting healthy proved better than earlier in the season. They're good enough to make a run this year, and then supplement at the trade deadline (as for the deadline, see Pittsburgh). That is more JR's style, rather than pay up front and go into the season loaded. Gives time to evaluate and adjust. I simply trust the man, and feel confident he'll deliver.

As for Maxi, no thanks. I can't imagine the Canes seeing anything he can deliver to this franchise.

I'm not saying we are going to suck next year and that the season is over before it starts. I think what I said was already pretty much summed up by everyone here. If we go into next year with the exact same team we had last year except losing Seidenberg and Babchuk and replacing them with AHL players, how is that an improvement? Why do we expect to be better if that is the only thing that changed? I know you keep saying "JR is going to make a magic trade where we give up 4th liners like Eaves and horrible defensemen like Kaberle and we get first line wingers and top-4 Dmen", I just am trying to be a little more realistic.

Your exact words:

This. Might as well turn our hopes to next off-season... for the umpteenth time.

Sounds pretty clear to me, we should give up hope for this season. What a downer. Nobody is saying that the same exact team is the answer and I think people here are savy enough to realize that even you think we're all morons and practice blind homerism here(I think those were the exact words used).

Some are willing to see what other moves are made before throwing in the towel for a whole season. JR said there will be moves made and is well known for last minute deals before the season starts. There are teams at or over the cap that will have to move players and some work to do with our own dead weight. Ive never sggested a magic trade involving 4th liners but Im betting that they'll give the kids a shot to see what they can do and then see what holes they need to fill through trade. As for who they'll trade, I'll leave that up to all you trade proposal gurus :rolleyes:

The one big question is adding a top line winger for Staal and its not easily solved with the current roster. If they can hold their own like last season, next season opens a world of possibilties not to mention having a few pieces to work with at thre trade deadline with contracts ending.

See, the world isnt coming to an end yet.

I think our talent in Albany is overrated by some here. On offense, we've got a mess of future 3rd/4th liners with one or two Top 6 players, and on defense, McBain's the only one I could see playing as a legit Top 4 defenseman, and he's still a year or two away from making the team.

Maybe but we won't know until they come up here and either make the cut or go back down.

2 things,

1. We can't send Babchuk to Russia, it's his choice.

2. If he goes to Russia the Canes lose, because we lose a defenseman and we don't get anything in return.

So the best thing for us to do is trade him. As much as I hate to say it Babs is all but gone.

I forget EXACTLY how it was put but it has been said that if he goes back to Russia then he won't be back. Earlier in this thread Babs has stated he DOES NOT want to play in Russia so either he plays here or JR gets a deal to send him elsewhere. It is up to Babs agent to find a home for him.

I'm not saying we are going to suck next year and that the season is over before it starts. I think what I said was already pretty much summed up by everyone here. If we go into next year with the exact same team we had last year except losing Seidenberg and Babchuk and replacing them with AHL players, how is that an improvement? Why do we expect to be better if that is the only thing that changed? I know you keep saying "JR is going to make a magic trade where we give up 4th liners like Eaves and horrible defensemen like Kaberle and we get first line wingers and top-4 Dmen", I just am trying to be a little more realistic.

Nobody is suggesting that there will be a magic trade. What we ARE saying is that their is TWO months before the season starts which is a ton of time to wheel and deal. Most of your post suggest that we needed to have EVERYTHING wrapped up by July 2nd and that just doesn't happen. If I am a GM and there are a few deals to be had out there, I WILL NOT RUSH THAT DECISION! Not with two months left, the "dust" from free agency will finally settle in a week or two and the second wave of more reasonable signings will begin.

Because clearly, that's what was said. Those were the exact words, no exaggeration on your part whatsoever.

It's real simple. This team, as it's already been said, overachieved when they made it to the ECF. That's fine, always nice to see the occasional deep run, no matter how they come about. However I'm assuming that everyone, like me, wants those kind of runs to become a little more consistent. Well, therein lies the problem. Bringing back the same people except those who have played themselves out of your price range (which are promptly replaced with spare parts) isn't going to help that consistency issue.

Over achieved is just an opinion. The team played solid down the stretch and when they finally pulled it together a little after the coaching change, were one of the best and hottest teams in the league. They matched up against and beat the top teams in the East and if it wasnt for Pittsburgh taking out the 2 most important players in the finals, who knows what could have been. I dont personally think they would have beat the Pens but they would at least have given them a run for their money. Pretty much sucks the life out you and is an adrenaline killer when you lose the key players to your whole forecheck system.

Overacheived..maybe, ran out gas and were beat up....more likely.

If Babs goes to NY, will you 2 follow him and become Rags fans?

Exactly, unfortunately we have been "trying" to get a 5-6 million dollar playmaker for about 5 years to play next to Staal and they just end up resigning our fan favorites. Is it so wrong that I was fine with Cole and Larose leaving if it meant we could use that money to afford a great first line playmaker to play next to Staal easily making him a 100 point player again? Alas season after season everyone keeps hoping we can find some first line talent and it never happens, everyone now is saying "oh yeah, next season we have a ton of money coming off the books so we can finally pick up our first liner", that's what we said last off-season about this one, if you haven't noticed we have been saying that for a very long time.

check www.nhlnumbers.com/car to see what contracts come off the books next season. Enough said!

"oh yeah, next season we have a ton of money coming off the books so we can finally pick up our first liner", that's what we said last off-season about this one, if you haven't noticed we have been saying that for a very long time.

That's not what was being said last offseason....Last year it was "We have 10 top 9 forwards and need to fix the defense, so we need to trade one for a good defenseman." and "we need to rebuild the defense." The contracts that expired this year are nowhere near the amount that comes out next year. The other thing is that we'll have prospects that will have professional experience that can step in and are only making 800k or so. That way roster spots are filled and money is saved and can be used for that top line winger.

check www.nhlnumbers.com/car to see what contracts come off the books next season. Enough said!

Next summer there will be several 2-3 million dollar players coming off the books and replaced by Albany guys with entry level contracts. That should free up a few bucks.

Next summer there will be several 2-3 million dollar players coming off the books and replaced by Albany guys with entry level contracts. That should free up a few bucks.

yep assuming they mature nicely in Albany and like '07-'08 come up hungry to play and playing too hard to send down.

Your exact words:

Sounds pretty clear to me, we should give up hope for this season. What a downer. Nobody is saying that the same exact team is the answer and I think people here are savy enough to realize that even you think we're all morons and practice blind homerism here(I think those were the exact words used).

Some are willing to see what other moves are made before throwing in the towel for a whole season. JR said there will be moves made and is well known for last minute deals before the season starts. There are teams at or over the cap that will have to move players and some work to do with our own dead weight. Ive never sggested a magic trade involving 4th liners but Im betting that they'll give the kids a shot to see what they can do and then see what holes they need to fill through trade. As for who they'll trade, I'll leave that up to all you trade proposal gurus :rolleyes:

The one big question is adding a top line winger for Staal and its not easily solved with the current roster. If they can hold their own like last season, next season opens a world of possibilties not to mention having a few pieces to work with at thre trade deadline with contracts ending.

See, the world isnt coming to an end yet.

That would be in reference to getting a first line winger for Staal. Read the whole thing and that's pretty clear.

Walker, Cullen, and Whitney's contracts on offense is not a ton of money. Assuming they resign Whitney which I'm sure they will because he's a fan favorite even though it probably wouldn't be the best decision, we could get rid of Cullen but I don't really see how that would help. Walker is $2.5 million but that is hardly enough to sign a first liner. As for defense Wallin and Kaberle will be gone and that will free up $4 million to sign 2 replacement Dmen, we could replace with our prospects but they would have to show us that they are ready first. Corvo will require a raise from his current $2.6 million per year if he has a decent season but I don't see why he wouldn't. Ward will get a $3-4 million dollar raise to $5-6 million a year like every other Cup contending goalie in the league. So overall I see possibly a maximum of $3-4 million being freed up just like this season and most of the other offseasons and we have no first line wingers to be found so I don't see what would make them change.

So in summary a lot of the money coming off the books will be spent on resigning Cullen and possibly Whitney, a ton of it will go into Ward's raise whether you like it or not, and Corvo will get a $1-1.5 million raise. There isn't as much leftover as you would think. If you see it differently maybe you could lay out the contracts and budget. Now if Brind'Amour retired that would be a different story but I really don't see him doing that (I wouldn't either, $3.6 million is a lot of money just to forfeit).

Over achieved is just an opinion. The team played solid down the stretch and when they finally pulled it together a little after the coaching change, were one of the best and hottest teams in the league. They matched up against and beat the top teams in the East and if it wasnt for Pittsburgh taking out the 2 most important players in the finals, who knows what could have been. I dont personally think they would have beat the Pens but they would at least have given them a run for their money. Pretty much sucks the life out you and is an adrenaline killer when you lose the key players to your whole forecheck system.

Overacheived..maybe, ran out gas and were beat up....more likely.

If Babs goes to NY, will you 2 follow him and become Rags fans?

Since the word "hot streak" was used for Babchuk's 4 months of solid play, could the same not be said for Carolina's two months of play to push them into the playoffs? It's easy to forget that this team was going nowhere fast at mid-February, and if not for certain players stepping up and a favorable schedule, we could have just as easily been on the outside looking in again. I, for one, don't want to have to rely on a favorable schedule to give us the playoff push, especially when the teams that we stomped to get those points aren't going to be so easy this year. The Lightning are really starting to put things together, and as long as Atlanta has Kovalchuk, they're a threat.

I won't even touch on the injury excuse. After hearing it over and over again from Buffalo fans in 06, I'm surprised any Canes fan would think to use that as a reason.

As for Babchuk, where ever he goes, I'll keep tabs on him. I keep tabs on a lot of players in the league, whether they're ex-Canes or players I'd like JR to go after. It makes it easier to discuss off-season moves in topics like this.

Walker, Cullen, and Whitney's contracts on offense is not a ton of money. Assuming they resign Whitney which I'm sure they will because he's a fan favorite even though it probably wouldn't be the best decision, we could get rid of Cullen but I don't really see how that would help. Walker is $2.5 million but that is hardly enough to sign a first liner. As for defense Wallin and Kaberle will be gone and that will free up $4 million to sign 2 replacement Dmen, we could replace with our prospects but they would have to show us that they are ready first. Corvo will require a raise from his current $2.6 million per year if he has a decent season but I don't see why he wouldn't. Ward will get a $3-4 million dollar raise to $5-6 million a year like every other Cup contending goalie in the league. So overall I see possibly a maximum of $3-4 million being freed up just like this season and most of the other offseasons and we have no first line wingers to be found so I don't see what would make them change.

So in summary a lot of the money coming off the books will be spent on resigning Cullen and possibly Whitney, a ton of it will go into Ward's raise whether you like it or not, and Corvo will get a $1-1.5 million raise. There isn't as much leftover as you would think. If you see it differently maybe you could lay out the contracts and budget. Now if Brind'Amour retired that would be a different story but I really don't see him doing that (I wouldn't either, $3.6 million is a lot of money just to forfeit).

So much here that I don't agree with. I think out of Walker, Cullen, and Whitney that Cullen is the only one that there is a remote chance to be resigned. Walker is way too expensive at 2.5 mil to be on the 4th line. It may be a cold thing to say, but I think he would be a consideration for a buyout (along with Kabs) if his personal situation wasn't as complicated (best wishes to the Walker family). Whitney's age is his enemy now. Walker's and Whitney's salary combined is enough right there to sign our top flight winger. Wards extra 3 mil will come mostly from the savings on Wallin and Kabs on the 3rd pairing D. 4 mil a year is too much to be spending there. I'm also thinking that Eaves will be traded if he can't stay in the top 9. If he cracks the top 9, somebody else is going. We need some cheaper players on the 4th line like Bayda. Basically, there is enough extra salary on the 4th line and the 3rd defensive pairing to pay our winger, especially if Brindy is the 4th line center.

I could be wrong but I don't see us resigning Whitney but if we do it would be for a lower dollar amount (the cap is projected to decrease next season).

Not only do we have to get cheaper 4th liners, but to take the next step in the rebuilding process. We still have the chance of a very smooth rebuilding, without falling into a deep whole like e.g. the Kings. Yes, we have to save money to do so, and the best way to do that, is by having our prospects making the team. We got so much talent in the system, especially on defense, it would be a waste not to take a shot on it. Borer, Carson and Rodney could become very good Ds and would save a ton of money through their first years.

You can't just expect a team to be made only of proven NHL veterans around our franchise players and not getting into financial trouble. Imagine how much money would be saved when replacing Wallin, Kabs, Cullen, Whitney, Walker with Carson, Rodney, Sutter, Boychuk and Bowman...that's surely enugh to pay the raises on Corvo, Ward and maybe signing a top Winger for Staal. I think it's the only way to go, as if we don't, we'll see ourself very soon on a total overhaul when the biggest part of our teams calls it a career and we are forced to go with a bunch of rookies.

So much here that I don't agree with. I think out of Walker, Cullen, and Whitney that Cullen is the only one that there is a remote chance to be resigned. Walker is way too expensive at 2.5 mil to be on the 4th line. It may be a cold thing to say, but I think he would be a consideration for a buyout (along with Kabs) if his personal situation wasn't as complicated (best wishes to the Walker family). Whitney's age is his enemy now. Walker's and Whitney's salary combined is enough right there to sign our top flight winger. Wards extra 3 mil will come mostly from the savings on Wallin and Kabs on the 3rd pairing D. 4 mil a year is too much to be spending there. I'm also thinking that Eaves will be traded if he can't stay in the top 9. If he cracks the top 9, somebody else is going. We need some cheaper players on the 4th line like Bayda. Basically, there is enough extra salary on the 4th line and the 3rd defensive pairing to pay our winger, especially if Brindy is the 4th line center.

I said Walker would be gone. Assuming they don't resign Whitney that is $6 million combined from the 2 player's salary. Ward will get a $3-4 million dollar raise easily and Corvo/Cullen's raises (assuming we resign Cullen) will be about $2 million combined. So those 2 just about cancel eachother out. We gain $4 million from losing Kaberle/Wallin and even if we replaced them with AHL defensemen making $750k a season each (combined for $1.5 million) that leaves about $2.5 million extra. Not as much money as people make it out to be. Like I said if Brind'Amour retired that's an extra $3.6 million off the books and opens a world of possibility but I don't see him retiring. Trades are nice but it would be expensive in prospects/draft picks to try to salary dump someone like Eaves. Any probable trade would probably bring back an equal or close salaried player unless we want to butter the deal up with draft picks/prospects like I said. Eaves has negative trade value for what he makes at the quality he plays. If you remember we basically got him as a salary dump tagging along with Corvo in the first place.

I said Walker would be gone. Assuming they don't resign Whitney that is $6 million combined from the 2 player's salary. Ward will get a $3-4 million dollar raise easily and Corvo/Cullen's raises (assuming we resign Cullen) will be about $2 million combined. So those 2 just about cancel eachother out. We gain $4 million from losing Kaberle/Wallin and even if we replaced them with AHL defensemen making $750k a season each (combined for $1.5 million) that leaves about $2.5 million extra. Not as much money as people make it out to be. Like I said if Brind'Amour retired that's an extra $3.6 million off the books and opens a world of possibility but I don't see him retiring. Trades are nice but it would be expensive in prospects/draft picks to try to salary dump someone like Eaves. Any probable trade would probably bring back an equal or close salaried player unless we want to butter the deal up with draft picks/prospects like I said. Eaves has negative trade value for what he makes at the quality he plays. If you remember we basically got him as a salary dump tagging along with Corvo in the first place.

J.R. didn't take Eaves as a salary dump. Eaves was a player that J.R. was asking for. I don't think Corvo is in for as much of a raise as you think and if Cullen is resigned, it won't be with a raise.

J.R. didn't take Eaves as a salary dump. Eaves was a player that J.R. was asking for. I don't think Corvo is in for as much of a raise as you think and if Cullen is resigned, it won't be with a raise.

Corvo will get at least a $500k raise to $3ish million which will be even bigger if he has a good season. Cullen will get the same $500k raise at least, more if a he has a good season again. And I forgot to add in the $1 million that Boychuk, Bowman, or Sutter will make to replace Walker. So that still evens out to at least $2 million. Say what you want about Eaves but nobody will be jumping to take a $1.4 million 4th-possibly 3rd liner, especially as you are suggesting for nothing just to clear cap space for us. The deal of just dropping Eaves to another team to clear up his $1.4 million would cost at least an additional prospect or 2nd/3rd round draft pick.

I'm kind of hoping Cam will just take like $5 million a year (only $2.5 million raise) which would make him the cheapest Cup winning goalie in the NHL for a while now but that is probably wishful thinking.

Corvo will get at least a $500k raise to $3ish million which will be even bigger if he has a good season. Cullen will get the same $500k raise at least, more if a he has a good season again. And I forgot to add in the $1 million that Boychuk, Bowman, or Sutter will make to replace Walker. So that still evens out to at least $2 million. Say what you want about Eaves but nobody will be jumping to take a $1.4 million 4th-possibly 3rd liner, especially as you are suggesting for nothing just to clear cap space for us. The deal of just dropping Eaves to another team to clear up his $1.4 million would cost at least an additional prospect or 2nd/3rd round draft pick.

I'm kind of hoping Cam will just take like $5 million a year (only $2.5 million raise) which would make him the cheapest Cup winning goalie in the NHL for a while now but that is probably wishful thinking.

I give up. I bow to your intellect. We are doomed.

You must be expecting the cap to go to $65mil next season but based on the latest discussion the cap will be reduced by $5mil. What you aren't factoring in is that with the cap being reduced the THERE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH MONEY OUT THERE FOR PLAYERS TO DEMAND BIG RAISES, most players will be taking some sort of cut. Per the CBA, player salaries can not exceed 57% of revenue and based on the cap there is a max that can be paid out. If the cap is in fact reduced next year you could see a lot of big contracts reduced (ask Jagr what happened to him in '05-'06). As you SHOULD know that all rolls down hill so if you have a player that would have easily commanded $4mil+ a season or two ago, they may be lucky to get $1.5-2mil next season.

This might be slightly off topic and if it is than accept my apologies now TSA/REF107/etc. but DM, do you currently have a job, follow what is going on from an economic standpoint, etc.?? If the cap in fact goes down next season then it is conceivable that NO ONE will get a raise and in fact the contracts might be lower. Your theory only works if the economy is booming and the cap goes up 10-20% next season!! It has been stated that baring some miracle the cap WILL be reduced. There may not be money for any teams to pay the big raises that YOU expect.

This might be slightly off topic and if it is than accept my apologies now TSA/REF107/etc. but DM, do you currently have a job, follow what is going on from an economic standpoint, etc.?? If the cap in fact goes down next season then it is conceivable that NO ONE will get a raise and in fact the contracts might be lower. Your theory only works if the economy is booming and the cap goes up 10-20% next season!! It has been stated that baring some miracle the cap WILL be reduced. There may not be money for any teams to pay the big raises that YOU expect.

All good points however you would have expected it to be the same this year and it wasn't the case. Players still got big raises, they don't care what the economic climate is like. If Corvo plays just as well as Pitkanen/Gleason next season, he isn't going to be willing to settle to continue to making less than them. He is going to want at least a slight raise and what I suggested ($500k raises) is not a big raise at all. Like I said, the economy is tanking this off-season too, and yet almost every good UFA player in the NHL still got raises. Seidenberg wants what, a $2 million dollar raise? Like I said players could care less what the economy is like, if you are good enough you are going to get a raise. Cullen's and Corvo's worth after this year is at the mercy of the free market, they will both get raises.