The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

You must be expecting the cap to go to $65mil next season but based on the latest discussion the cap will be reduced by $5mil. What you aren't factoring in is that with the cap being reduced the THERE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH MONEY OUT THERE FOR PLAYERS TO DEMAND BIG RAISES, most players will be taking some sort of cut. Per the CBA, player salaries can not exceed 57% of revenue and based on the cap there is a max that can be paid out. If the cap is in fact reduced next year you could see a lot of big contracts reduced (ask Jagr what happened to him in '05-'06). As you SHOULD know that all rolls down hill so if you have a player that would have easily commanded $4mil+ a season or two ago, they may be lucky to get $1.5-2mil next season.

As I said, I suggested $500k raises. That is NOT a big raise. That barely puts those 2 players in the same pay bracket as players around the NHL with comparable stats.

edit - Ruutu will get about a $1 million dollar raise, wouldn't you think he wouldn't be getting a raise as you said due to the economy tanking? The answer is he could care less, he feels like he deserves a raise to make a comparable salary to every other player in the NHL at his age that played the way he did last season.

As I said, I suggested $500k raises. That is NOT a big raise. That barely puts those 2 players in the same pay bracket as players around the NHL with comparable stats.

did you not read the part about the cap going down $5mil and that players most likely will take pay cuts or have escrow increased from 12% to 40% (which would not go over real well with the NHLPA). Do you know what escrow is?

All good points however you would have expected it to be the same this year and it wasn't the case. Players still got big raises, they don't care what the economic climate is like. If Corvo plays just as well as Pitkanen/Gleason next season, he isn't going to be willing to settle to continue to making less than them. He is going to want at least a slight raise and what I suggested ($500k raises) is not a big raise at all. Like I said, the economy is tanking this off-season too, and yet almost every good UFA player in the NHL still got raises. Seidenberg wants what, a $2 million dollar raise? Like I said players could care less what the economy is like, if you are good enough you are going to get a raise. Cullen's and Corvo's worth after this year is at the mercy of the free market, they will both get raises.

And where is Seidenberg playing next year. Oh that's right, he isn't signed yet. Just b/c players want said raisies, doesn't mean GMs are going to pay it. If the cap goes down, as its projected, good luck in finding a GM that is willing to pay it. ALOT of players are finding that out now. This year we haven't had any Jeff Finger signings, well minus the Hossa one in length. And possible Gaborik, but that's Sather. GMs were weary throwing big money around this off-season and they definetly won't be doing it next off-season when the cap goes down.

So in otherwords, players will need to maintain or decrease their pay if they want to play in the NHL.

edit - Ruutu will get about a $1 million dollar raise, wouldn't you think he wouldn't be getting a raise as you said due to the economy tanking? The answer is he could care less, he feels like he deserves a raise to make a comparable salary to every other player in the NHL at his age that played the way he did last season.

Actually, you said:

Corvo will get at least a $500k raise to $3ish million which will be even bigger if he has a good season. Cullen will get the same $500k raise at least, more if a he has a good season again. And I forgot to add in the $1 million that Boychuk, Bowman, or Sutter will make to replace Walker. So that still evens out to at least $2 million.

Thats a big range and BIG raise. Sorry, but I had to point that out.

Carry on...

did you not read the part about the cap going down $5mil and that players most likely will take pay cuts or have escrow increased from 12% to 40% (which would not go over real well with the NHLPA). Do you know what escrow is?

Yeah and they said the exact same thing about this season and it didn't happen. The cap won't go down $5 million, if it did half the teams in the NHL would go under because most already have about $50 million in cap already signed for next season. The NHL is a business that's only goal is to make money, it wouldn't just destroy itself on purpose like that. You think they would risk having another strike year? You said yourself if the escrow increased to 40% the NHLPA would go beserk, you think they have a problem striking to get what they want?

Actually, you said:

Thats a big range and BIG raise. Sorry, but I had to point that out.

Carry on...

A $500k raise to be making $3.1 million per year. Sorry that was not a range, he is making $2.6 million now and a $500k raise would put him at about $3 million is what was meant by that.

And where is Seidenberg playing next year. Oh that's right, he isn't signed yet. Just b/c players want said raisies, doesn't mean GMs are going to pay it. If the cap goes down, as its projected, good luck in finding a GM that is willing to pay it. ALOT of players are finding that out now. This year we haven't had any Jeff Finger signings, well minus the Hossa one in length. And possible Gaborik, but that's Sather. GMs were weary throwing big money around this off-season and they definetly won't be doing it next off-season when the cap goes down.

So in otherwords, players will need to maintain or decrease their pay if they want to play in the NHL.

Like I said... Ruutu and Larose are 2 great examples of players that were overachieving greatly for what they made. They both got $500k-1 million dollar raises. I was just saying that Corvo and Cullen are pretty much in the same boat (possibly not Cullen depending on how he does next season). Corvo is one of our first-pairing defenders, he might be the lowest paid first-pairing Dman in the NHL. He is very underpaid for what he does and he will get a raise. If Cullen has another year like last season, I also think he qualifies for a raise just as Ruutu and Larose got this year. If the failing economy really affected the NHL that much then why did Ruutu and Larose both get big raises? Because players get raises based on their performance and how much players in that same range of performance are making.

Yeah and they said the exact same thing about this season and it didn't happen. The cap won't go down $5 million, if it did half the teams in the NHL would go under because most already have about $50 million in cap already signed for next season. The NHL is a business that's only goal is to make money, it wouldn't just destroy itself on purpose like that. You think they would risk having another strike year? You said yourself if the escrow increased to 40% the NHLPA would go beserk, you think they have a problem striking to get what they want?

Actually there was ONLY speculation that the cap could go down this year. However, next season its pretty much 99% set in stone to go down. ALL the GMs know this, hence why the signings this off season have been respectable and not outrageous like years past.

Like I said... Ruutu and Larose are 2 great examples of players that were overachieving greatly for what they made. They both got $1 million dollar raises. I was just saying that Corvo and Cullen are pretty much in the same boat (possibly not Cullen depending on how he does next season). Corvo is one of our first-pairing defenders, he might be the lowest paid first-pairing Dman in the NHL. He is very underpaid for what he does and he will get a raise. If Cullen has another year like last season, I also think he qualifies for a raise just as Ruutu and Larose got this year.

You still aren't getting it though. If the Cap goes down, there is LESS money for GMs to play with. Sure guys will deserve raises, but it doesn't mean they will all get them.

And if the cap goes down, there are going to be some quality players that teams are going to have to get rid of just to get under the lowered cap. Once those players become available (thru cheap trades) the earning potential of the UFA's is going to be reduced too.

As far as the guys getting the big money this year, there were a few guys that get the big contracts but a lot of other guys are still looking or signed for a reasonable amount. Of course your Jay Bouwmeester types will garner the big bucks, but if the cap goes down, so will that when teams don't have the space to sign them. There is always going to be one or two "drunken sailors on shore leave" GM's that will write a big check but as a whole it's going to go down if the cap goes down.

If J.R. was "playing GM" as much as we were here, everything would be settled.

and before July 1st no less, we would circumvent free agency and sign other teams players before they have a chance too!!

and NTC's, I don't pay attention to NTC's!!

If J.R. was "playing GM" as much as we were here, everything would be settled.

Seriously, I just dont know why JR doesnt just print this thread off, take it straight to the GM meeting and make some deals. :)

Seriously, I just dont know why JR doesnt just print this thread off, take it straight to the GM meeting and make some deals. :)

Can't you and Marcus just email this to Paul and have him leave it on JR's desk!

Can't you and Marcus just email this to Paul and have him leave it on JR's desk!

How do you know we havent?

A 65 page pamplet. "Hockey for Dummies"

Honestly, I think a bridge between the fanbase and the higher ups would be an interesting concept. Create a position who's job it is to go around, get the opinions of the fanbase on possible moves, free agents, etc, sort through everything ("This is going in the 'Not in a Million Years' pile"), and once that's done, present some ideas to the GM/owner. Obviously, whoever's in this position will have to have knowledge of what can and can't be done, as far as team limitations, so the proposals to the GM/owner will be realistic.

Not only does it get the fanbase more hands-on with the organization (and thus, a more vested interest in how the team does), but it might also provide new ideas for JR/PK. As the saying goes: Two heads are better than one.

I think they most likely have at least a few people in the organization that read the fanboards. I mean near the end of last year Ovechkin said he read his own Caps board haha. Though I doubt JR ever gets the ideas directly I'm sure at least interesting ideas are talked about throughout the organization.

Honestly, I think a bridge between the fanbase and the higher ups would be an interesting concept. Create a position who's job it is to go around, get the opinions of the fanbase on possible moves, free agents, etc, sort through everything ("This is going in the 'Not in a Million Years' pile"), and once that's done, present some ideas to the GM/owner. Obviously, whoever's in this position will have to have knowledge of what can and can't be done, as far as team limitations, so the proposals to the GM/owner will be realistic.

Not only does it get the fanbase more hands-on with the organization (and thus, a more vested interest in how the team does), but it might also provide new ideas for JR/PK. As the saying goes: Two heads are better than one.

Superdave raises his hand in the air.

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me. I want that job.

I think we are in good position with our budget if the cap goes down at all. I mean look at Chicago, they already have $43 million signed for next season and that only includes 7 forwards and 4 defenseman. The forwards in need of resigning include Toews and Kane, those 2 alone would easily add up to the remaining $7 million if the cap was set at $50-51 million. It would just be impossible for them to keep their team intact. It's really the same for about half of the league at this point.

LOL... are you suggesting that between PK and JR they only have one head?

I think JR could gleam a thing or two from the "Great Babchuk Debate" :lol:

He seems pretty dead-set on caring less what happens to Babchuk. It is really sad I really did like him a lot and I think he could have benefited our team greatly for years to come. I guess I'm in the minority there but there was always just an excitement every time someone passed him the puck at the blueline and you just knew a monster blast was coming. Sometimes it seemed like he was the only one on the ice who was willing to shoot the puck.

I think we are in good position with our budget if the cap goes down at all. I mean look at Chicago, they already have $43 million signed for next season and that only includes 7 forwards and 4 defenseman. The forwards in need of resigning include Toews and Kane, those 2 alone would easily add up to the remaining $7 million if the cap was set at $50-51 million. It would just be impossible for them to keep their team intact. It's really the same for about half of the league at this point.

if the cap goes down our "self imposed" cap also decreases.

and if Eklunds site is correct, the Blackhawks are currently $4.5mil over the cap.