The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I think JR could gleam a thing or two from the "Great Babchuk Debate" :lol:

Just as he read that part you could run up from behind and smack him with your dipstick.

if the cap goes down our "self imposed" cap also decreases.

and if Eklunds site is correct, the Blackhawks are currently $4.5mil over the cap.

For Chicago I mean for next off-season not this one. You're right though right now they are over cap right now but look at next offseason, they are already almost at the proposed $51 million cap (only $7 million under) without half of their team and without their franchise players Toews and Kane signed. Why would our self-imposed budget also decrease? Would we just spend less money than before just to keep far below the overall cap? Unless you mean to keep under the revenue sharing limit but I though that ended the season after this one? Or maybe it was the one after that?

Maybe all this talk of buying out Kaberle to the media is a ploy to try to get him to go sign in Russia. That would help us out tremendously. I heard a few KHL teams were interested in him because they knew he wasn't happy that he wasn't getting any playing time here.

Maybe all this talk of buying out Kaberle to the media is a ploy to try to get him to go sign in Russia. That would help us out tremendously. I heard a few KHL teams were interested in him because they knew he wasn't happy that he wasn't getting any playing time here.

He'd just take the buyout and then go to the KHL. If JR really thought Kabs would leave, he wouldn't mention a buyout.

LOL... are you suggesting that between PK and JR they only have one head?

Obviously not. PK doesn't really seem to be involved in the team. In fact, and I stated this when it first happened, the return of Babchuk had PK's writing all over it. Obviously, he wasn't happy that he was spending money on a player we weren't using and "convinced" JR to let him play in the States. The fact that JR's gone all pissy about the situation when Babchuk's contract ran out only supported my theory.

For Chicago I mean for next off-season not this one. You're right though right now they are over cap right now but look at next offseason, they are already almost at the proposed $51 million cap (only $7 million under) without half of their team and without their franchise players Toews and Kane signed. Why would our self-imposed budget also decrease? Would we just spend less money than before just to keep far below the overall cap? Unless you mean to keep under the revenue sharing limit but I though that ended the season after this one? Or maybe it was the one after that?

Our self imposed budget would decrease because we NEVER spend to the cap, JR/PK like a $5-6mil cushion or better.

It's like this DM, last season when the ticker would run during the July 1st frenzy the average contract was $4mil, that after the cap went up $4mil (I think), this year the cap went up $100k, the average frenzy contract was $2mil, next season it is suppose to be reduced $5mil so do you see the trend? JR stated in an interview yesterday that STH renewals were down a bit, not much but still down. Only stands to reason that if revenue is down from last year, the cap is gonna go down and salaries will either stay the same or go down. The players are really gonna hate it next year but it is what it is.

Our self imposed budget would decrease because we NEVER spend to the cap, JR/PK like a $5-6mil cushion or better.

It's like this DM, last season when the ticker would run during the July 1st frenzy the average contract was $4mil, that after the cap went up $4mil (I think), this year the cap went up $100k, the average frenzy contract was $2mil, next season it is suppose to be reduced $5mil so do you see the trend? JR stated in an interview yesterday that STH renewals were down a bit, not much but still down. Only stands to reason that if revenue is down from last year, the cap is gonna go down and salaries will either stay the same or go down. The players are really gonna hate it next year but it is what it is.

I get the cushion but I just figure that was an excuse they use to never spend near the cap, they always say they want room for the trading deadline as if they ever have picked up a big name at the deadline (I don't count Recchi/Weight). I still find it hard to believe that a player will take a lesser salary than one of their teammates or other players in the NHL whom they outperform. Like I said just as Larose and Ruutu demanded and will receive raises this year if a player such as Corvo/Cullen has a good year next year they will still require raises and will probably still get them just as Ruutu/Larose did this year no matter the economic climate. Revenue was far down last year (across the league) as it has been in the past and players who deserved raises still got them.

I think the NHLPA has some agreement that one season they can opt for every player to take a 10% paycut to fit under the cap if it becomes a problem like it might next year correct? They will probably end up using that next year to cushion it a bit if the cap really does fall $5 million.

I get the cushion but I just figure that was an excuse they use to never spend near the cap, they always say they want room for the trading deadline as if they ever have picked up a big name at the deadline (I don't count Recchi/Weight). I still find it hard to believe that a player will take a lesser salary than one of their teammates or other players in the NHL whom they outperform. Like I said just as Larose and Ruutu demanded and will receive raises this year if a player such as Corvo/Cullen has a good year next year they will still require raises and will probably still get them just as Ruutu/Larose did this year no matter the economic climate. Revenue was far down last year (across the league) as it has been in the past and players who deserved raises still got them.

I think the NHLPA has some agreement that one season they can opt for every player to take a 10% paycut to fit under the cap if it becomes a problem like it might next year correct? They will probably end up using that next year to cushion it a bit if the cap really does fall $5 million.

not so much a cushion but the way they do business. the 10% paycut was during the lockout, don't think it applies now. but if max player salaries decrease then the big names would take a pay cut, i think right now no player on any team can make more than a certain percentage of either the teams cap or league cap (not sure which without reading the CBA). If the cap gets reduced enough then Eric Staal would have to take a pay cut, it happened to Jagr in '05-'06. He was making either $10-12mil a year and the initial cap stated no player could make more than $8mil I think so his pay was reduced (and about ten others in the league).

it has been a couple of years since i read the CBA so my facts might be a bit rusty. The big thing is all player salaries are tied to league revenue, when revenue goes up then salaries go up and when revenue goes down salaries go down.

It's a official.

I just talked with my ticketing guy and he said it isn't official at least that the front office knows but it could very well be I guess depending on the source. Kostopoulos is a big (6'0 but still big for hurricanes standards and he plays bigger than he really is), gritty, mean right winger who had a lot of success in the AHL but never really performed as expected in the NHL. Typical Hurricanes reclamation project if it's true. I like the idea.

I just talked with my ticketing guy and he said it isn't official at least that the front office knows but it could very well be I guess depending on the source. Kostopoulos is a big, gritty, mean right winger who had a lot of success in the AHL but never really performed as expected in the NHL. Typical Hurricanes reclamation project if it's true. I like the idea.

i would have to agree mouse, he has size.

did you not read the part about the cap going down $5mil and that players most likely will take pay cuts or have escrow increased from 12% to 40% (which would not go over real well with the NHLPA). Do you know what escrow is?

I attempted to make exactly the same point in the Ruutu Arbitration thread. I sincerely believe we'll see Ruutu sign a 2-3 year deal despite the fact that he could be an UFA next off season. I'm guessing his agent would rather him sign for 3 years now than be on the UFA market next year when the cap goes down. People who follow the economy for a living have been and currently are taking very conservative stances for the most part, and the conservative stance re: Ruutu is to advise him to sign now for as much money as he can get right now and not count on there being more in a year or two.

I attempted to make exactly the same point in the Ruutu Arbitration thread. I sincerely believe we'll see Ruutu sign a 2-3 year deal despite the fact that he could be an UFA next off season. I'm guessing his agent would rather him sign for 3 years now than be on the UFA market next year when the cap goes down. People who follow the economy for a living have been and currently are taking very conservative stances for the most part, and the conservative stance re: Ruutu is to advise him to sign now for as much money as he can get right now and not count on there being more in a year or two.

No his agent wants the 1 year contract, we want him signed for 2-3 years. That was all laid out in the article they put out yesterday on the main website. They said they will continue to try to sign him to a longer contract until like a week before arbitration when they will just give up and sign him to the 1-year. If possible we should lock up Ruutu as long as we can, he is a good, solid, young player.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=442642

guess it's official. I like the signing, he is a Larose-esk player that gives his all every shift. Would be interesting to see if Maurice pairs them up next season. Plus he is a real character guy that could have the impact we need at a cheap price in terms of bringing a new face into the locker room to mix things up.

Booooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

I'm not sure what you find most booring, the TKO signing or the general topics concerning what JR's moves should be from a very, well-educated, albeit opinionated bunch of Caniacs that could quite possibly run a fairly small but decent franchise?

I'm not sure what you find most booring, the TKO signing or the general topics concerning what JR's moves should be from a very, well-educated, albeit opinionated bunch of Caniacs that could quite possibly run a fairly small but decent franchise?

Eh, I've read all four of his posts, and they lead me to believe that he's Maxim Afinogenov's narcoleptic brother.

Actually that has been mentioned but I got dizzy trying to find it on the "GM" thread. So how do you replace our fifth leading scorer in both the regular and postseason, and he played almost the entire schedule free from injury. Sammy aint goin nowhere.

If they want to keep the line-up like it was late last year, the top-six would look like this:

Ruutu / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / LaRose

Outside of that, there is alot of flexibility. If you want one particular player that could replace Samsonov's spot in the line-up, I'll give you Jokinen.

With Samsonov traded, the bottom-six would look like this:

Jokinen / Brind'Amour / Walker

Eaves / Ryan / Kostopoulos

The additional forward would be either Conboy or Dwyer.

Samsonov isn't any more essential to the Hurricanes' line-up than anyone else that Rutherford has moved in the past to make the team better. Babchuk and Samsonov could command a MUCH better return than Babchuk and Eaves.

Since the TK signing has brought of the possibility of several possible trade scenarios I wonder who we could get for the money.

Eaves is slated to make 1.7 mil, Babs has not yet accepted his 1 million (take it or leave it) offer and the possible Kabs buyout adds another .750 mil, thats a total of 3.25 million. (Leave the other 3.1 left to the cap for Ruutu is he wants it).

Christian Backman made 3.4 million last year (which given his performance is probably way overpaid, but then again it is Columbus)

Daryl Sydor made 2.5 last year.. he could be in our price range now.

The cream of the crop and has been mentioned several times is Marc-Andre Bergeron, who had a phenomenal year last year 14g 18a, 30 PIM, 3GWG, 7g and 11a on the PP and he was only making 1.6 million. We could offer him 3.0 as a pretty nice raise.

A couple more are available, but I think Bergeron would be an awesome addition.

Since the TK signing has brought of the possibility of several possible trade scenarios I wonder who we could get for the money.

Eaves is slated to make 1.7 mil, Babs has not yet accepted his 1 million (take it or leave it) offer and the possible Kabs buyout adds another .750 mil, thats a total of 3.25 million. (Leave the other 3.1 left to the cap for Ruutu is he wants it).

Christian Backman made 3.4 million last year (which given his performance is probably way overpaid, but then again it is Columbus)

The cream of the crop and has been mentioned several times is Marc-Andre Bergeron, who had a phenomenal year last year 14g 18a, 30 PIM, 3GWG, 7g and 11a on the PP and he was only making 1.6 million. We could offer him 3.0 as a pretty nice raise.

So you're saying if we buyout Kabs, and trade Babchuk and Eaves.

Your numbers seem a little off to me, and you forgot to subtract what we have to pay Kostopolous. I'll give it a go, and hopefully someone can confirm the right numbers. Babchuk isn't counting against anything, so you can't take his 1 million offer and put it somewhere else. Eaves is also making 1.4 next year not 1.7, so with a Kaberle buyout, which would actually save 1.467, you're looking at 2.867 mil. But then you also have to take off the 700k that Kostopolous will be making, so those moves would give us 2.167 mil in extra space. This might be enough to sign someone like Siedenberg or cover the salary of a defenseman we trade for.

Bergeron is too small, and more of an offensive defenseman which is not what we need right now. Plus he is way too shaky in his own end.