The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Bergeron is too small, and more of an offensive defenseman which is not what we need right now. Plus he is way too shaky in his own end.

Agreed. He is pretty much a smaller Babchuk

If they want to keep the line-up like it was late last year, the top-six would look like this:

Ruutu / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / LaRose

Outside of that, there is alot of flexibility. If you want one particular player that could replace Samsonov's spot in the line-up, I'll give you Jokinen.

With Samsonov traded, the bottom-six would look like this:

Jokinen / Brind'Amour / Walker

Eaves / Ryan / Kostopoulos

The additional forward would be either Conboy or Dwyer.

Samsonov isn't any more essential to the Hurricanes' line-up than anyone else that Rutherford has moved in the past to make the team better. Babchuk and Samsonov could command a MUCH better return than Babchuk and Eaves.

Why would you have Ryan as the fourth line center? Sutter played 50 games last year and has NHL experience, Ryan is on a two way and will be playing in Albany.*

I think an interesting option would be to have Ruutu and Kostopoulos on a line together as a true checking line, two guys that can hit with Brindamour who can win face offs and then we can have some serious puck possession.

How about:

Whitney/Staal/Cole

Samsonov/Cullen/Jokinen

Ruutu/Brindamour/Kostopoulos

LaRose/Sutter/Walker

Or interchange the 3rd and 4th line, but I don't think Ruutu should drop all the way to fourth even if it is for checking, so I like that combo as a 3rd line. I don't like having Walker on the 4th line.. but you run out of room on the roster. Plus a 4th line with that kinda talent on it would get more playing time, something thats been said about having Kostopoulos as a 4th liner with skill.

Just an off the wall idea.. but if he hits like Ruutu, why not pair them for a serious checking line, punish the opponents.. and still have some scoring threat, especially with Roddy to win faceoffs.

*I see now that Ryan has played sporadically at the NHL level.. but he doesnt have too much more experience then Sutter... just older. I would probably still go with Sutter, but thats just me. Obviously we all mock-GM differently.

So you're saying if we buyout Kabs, and trade Babchuk and Eaves.

Your numbers seem a little off to me, and you forgot to subtract what we have to pay Kostopolous. I'll give it a go, and hopefully someone can confirm the right numbers. Babchuk isn't counting against anything, so you can't take his 1 million offer and put it somewhere else. Eaves is also making 1.4 next year not 1.7, so with a Kaberle buyout, which would actually save 1.467, you're looking at 2.867 mil. But then you also have to take off the 700k that Kostopolous will be making, so those moves would give us 2.167 mil in extra space. This might be enough to sign someone like Siedenberg or cover the salary of a defenseman we trade for.

I didn't think we were saving that much from the Kabs buyout so thats a little bit more. These numbers get all screwy thrown around like this.

Yeah.. you're right.. I missed Kostopoulos's salary... On nhlnumbers.com it had Eaves as 1.7 but that may or may not be correct, but thats where I got the number.

According to the salary post by TSA, we have 3.1 mil or something like that below the cap. You right about the Babchuk, thats my bad, but the eaves move and the buy out would add another 2.8 mil to that so that would be around 5.3 million below the cap, but I was ignoring the 3.1 in room assuming that was in negotiation for Ruutu, and just looking at what a trade or buyout would get us... 2.8 -700k for Kostopoulous is around 2.1 million. That would knock a couple of the guys like Backman and Sydor out of our price range.

How about:

Whitney/Staal/Cole

Samsonov/Cullen/Jokinen

Ruutu/Brindamour/Kostopoulos

LaRose/Sutter/Walker

Kostopoulos is clearly a 4th line guy. The line ups do, however show the potential problem. No way are Walker or LaRose 4th line guys, and you don't even have Eaves up there. So, that clearly leave us with too many 2nd/3rd line forwards. I would not be suprised if JR could find some way to move at least one more forward. The likey move would be one forward plus Babchuk for a top 4 dman. I would still prefer to trade quantity for quality. Move 2 forwards, Babchuk, buy out Kabs (or miraculously trade him) and get back a first line playmaker. Sign Seids and bring up a River Rat on D. Ideally Brind'Amour and Eaves, but who knows what kind of interest there would be?

Legit 1st line Playmaker/Staal/Whitney

Ruutu/Cullen/LaRose

Samsonov/Jokinen/Cole

Walker/Sutter/Kostopoulos

Pitkanen/Corvo/Gleason/Seidenberg/Wallin/insert river rat

That would be a darn good team. Walker is not really a 4th liner though. This means that if we pick up a top winger we could actually trade 3 forwards, then call up say Ryan, or Conboy for that last 4th line spot.

*I see now that Ryan has played sporadically at the NHL level.. but he doesnt have too much more experience then Sutter... just older. I would probably still go with Sutter, but thats just me. Obviously we all mock-GM differently.

I just think Sutter would be better served to have a full year in Albany as their #1 center instead of another year as a sporadically-played fourth-liner here in Carolina.

Kostopoulos is clearly a 4th line guy. The line ups do, however show the potential problem. No way are Walker or LaRose 4th line guys, and you don't even have Eaves up there. So, that clearly leave us with too many 2nd/3rd line forwards. I would not be suprised if JR could find some way to move at least one more forward. The likey move would be one forward plus Babchuk for a top 4 dman. I would still prefer to trade quantity for quality. Move 2 forwards, Babchuk, buy out Kabs (or miraculously trade him) and get back a first line playmaker. Sign Seids and bring up a River Rat on D. Ideally Brind'Amour and Eaves, but who knows what kind of interest there would be?

Legit 1st line Playmaker/Staal/Whitney

Ruutu/Cullen/LaRose

Samsonov/Jokinen/Cole

Walker/Sutter/Kostopoulos

Pitkanen/Corvo/Gleason/Seidenberg/Wallin/insert river rat

That would be a darn good team. Walker is not really a 4th liner though. This means that if we pick up a top winger we could actually trade 3 forwards, then call up say Ryan, or Conboy for that last 4th line spot.

I was assuming Eaves is gone in a trade.. just like everyone else. You don't have Eaves in your group either. Where is Brindamour in your equation? The team captain gonna sit in the pressbox for 3 million a year? Are you assuming he's going to struggle in camp and hang em up?

My line up was based on having a strong 3rd/checking line with Ruutu and Kostopoulos together.. obviously thats not likely to happen, thats a "what if" scenario.

I don't get why you would put Cole on the 3rd line away from Staal even if we did bring in a first liner like Tanguay.

LaRose has been a 4th line player.. yes his talent and success warrant him more then that, but someone's gotta drop down if you add to the top.

Since we're throwing out fantasy lines.... what about

Tanguay(or FL PM)/Staal/Cole (or Tanguay/Staal/Whitney)

Whitney/Cullen/Ruutu (or Cole/Cullen/Ruutu) I would think Cole and Staal should stay together, but Whitney could roll with the playmaker.

Samsonov/Brindamour/Jokinen

LaRose/Sutter/Walker

Now where to stick Kostopoulous... as you say LaRose and Walker are not 4th liners.. but something has to give since we are apparently full of forwards and now you want to add more forwards... someone has to go.. who is it? Walker? Whitney? If you dump Sutter down to Albany you could play Jokinen as a Center on the 3rd line and move Rod down and it would look something like this

T(FLPM)/S/C

W/C/Ru

Sam/Jok/LaRose

Walker/Rod/Kostopoulos

In this scenario adding a topliner would deny guys like Ryan, Sutter and Dwyer a chance to play.. guys we just signed to new deals... yes they are 2ways and meant to play in albany, but they were supposed to spend some time up with us too I believe. To pay a legit topliner as you suggest we trade for we would have to lose several players, not just Babchuk and Eaves. Just in my random example with Tangauy.. he made 5.3 million last year.

We could always sign Mats Sundin for 8 million.... (NOT) lol

I was assuming Eaves is gone in a trade.. just like everyone else. You don't have Eaves in your group either. Where is Brindamour in your equation? The team captain gonna sit in the pressbox for 3 million a year? Are you assuming he's going to struggle in camp and hang em up?

I don't get why you would put Cole on the 3rd line away from Staal even if we did bring in a first liner like Tanguay.

LaRose has been a 4th line player.. yes his talent and success warrant him more then that, but someone's gotta drop down if you add to the top.

I didn't mean to imply that you forgot about Eaves, just that if I went off of your final line up and adjusted my plan to it, I would still have to do something with Eaves, since I'm not sure JR will be able to get value for Eaves.

My suggestion might be hard to accomplish, but would make the team much better. That is to trade Brind'Amour (only if something he is happy with, Future Hall of Famer, love him, given much to the organization, etc.) and Babchuk (I'd like to keep him, but JR is clearly not interested) and one other forward such as Eaves (if he has some value), or someone with more proven ability Sammy, heck even Cole (that should upset a few). Brindy, plus a forward, plus Babchuk plus a pick? for a first line playmaking winger. Then sign Seids and bring up a minor league dman.

Could even trade 3 forwards and Babs for a first line winger if one of them were Brindy.

The idea is to group a few guys together to get that 1st liner. I have no idea if this is possible. But it would make us much better and shake things up just the right amount IMHO.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in Cole. He can look amazing at times, but he just can't seem to produce much. He looked good at times and I really hope he can find his former self. But until he does, he has not produced anything like a 1st liner. His playoff history is abysmal. I have hope, but not expactations for Mr. Cole. This is actually my main issue with this team. We don't have a legitimate 1st line. You can put Whitney there based on numbers, but not Cole or Sammy or Ruutu. Get that legit playmaker to go with Staal and we are instantly right there on paper (not just spirit) with the very top teams.

We would have a legitimately formidable first line, and in addition our second and third lines would be stacked.

I just think Sutter would be better served to have a full year in Albany as their #1 center instead of another year as a sporadically-played fourth-liner here in Carolina.
Agreed completely. At 29 years old, Ryan has maxed out his potential and thus it won't hurt his "development" to have him center the fourth line. Sutter, on the other hand, should be in the AHL until a third line spot opens up.

I didn't mean to imply that you forgot about Eaves, just that if I went off of your final line up and adjusted my plan to it, I would still have to do something with Eaves, since I'm not sure JR will be able to get value for Eaves.

My suggestion might be hard to accomplish, but would make the team much better. That is to trade Brind'Amour (only if something he is happy with, Future Hall of Famer, love him, given much to the organization, etc.) and Babchuk (I'd like to keep him, but JR is clearly not interested) and one other forward such as Eaves (if he has some value), or someone with more proven ability Sammy, heck even Cole (that should upset a few). Brindy, plus a forward, plus Babchuk plus a pick? for a first line playmaking winger. Then sign Seids and bring up a minor league dman.

Could even trade 3 forwards and Babs for a first line winger if one of them were Brindy.

The idea is to group a few guys together to get that 1st liner. I have no idea if this is possible. But it would make us much better and shake things up just the right amount IMHO.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in Cole. He can look amazing at times, but he just can't seem to produce much. He looked good at times and I really hope he can find his former self. But until he does, he has not produced anything like a 1st liner. His playoff history is abysmal. I have hope, but not expactations for Mr. Cole. This is actually my main issue with this team. We don't have a legitimate 1st line. You can put Whitney there based on numbers, but not Cole or Sammy or Ruutu. Get that legit playmaker to go with Staal and we are instantly right there on paper (not just spirit) with the very top teams.

We would have a legitimately formidable first line, and in addition our second and third lines would be stacked.

That's interesting.. like you say.. hard to accomplish. I just don't see trading Brindamour. I'm sure sometimes a team captain gets traded, but I imagine thats something to be avoided if possible. Rod has 2 years left at 3.0 million a year.. so not a huge contract for a team with cap room. Like you suggest if he likes it, somewhere he wants to play before retiring (much like Francis playing half a year in Toronto) etc etc.. it could be possible.

I think Eaves might have a little value.. Cole I believe would have some value, but if they look at his half year in Edmonton they may be wary about it... Babchuk I'm not sure anyone wants him, but he doesn't have any rights so he could be bundled into a trade as AHL fodder or just a salary dump. I think someone had asked if Walker had a notrade.. not sure if he does or not. He's been injury/concussion prone lately and so he may not be worth much. It would be a shame to resign Ruutu and then trade him, but that happens all the time.. get a guy under contract and then trade him.

The only problem I see is that I can't remember the team making a big move like this involving multiple players (other then 2 for 2 like Stillman Commordore for Corvo Eaves).. and we normally don't go after the big guns. Something about the way this management runs I just don't see a big 3 players + picks + cash or whathaveyou = 1 player kind of trade happening in this organization.. but you never know.

Something is in the works though.. that much is apparent... some big changes may happen after the smoke clears.

For those concerned about the Kostopoulis signing being JR's big move, here's a little tidbit from Paul's blog that should make pretty clear what's going on:

For now, Kostopoulos seems set to take over the roster spot held by Ryan Bayda last season, marking the only change among the team’s top 12 forwards thus far. Bayda remains an unrestricted free agent, with a two-way contract from the Hurricanes still available if he chooses to accept it.

“He bounces between the third and fourth line and kills penalties,” said Karmanos of Kostopoulos. “He’s a guy that at times can play a larger role and can take on more minutes. He can play in that checking line role as an agitator who gets in on the forecheck, and the good thing is that he’s got the ability to bump up in the lines at times when we need him to.”

The Kostopoulos signing would seem to increase the team’s depth at forward from a season ago, which makes the move a little surprising when considering the more pressing needs on defense following the departures of Anton Babchuk and Dennis Seidenberg.

Filling those holes remains the top priority, as negotiations with a few remaining free agents, including Seidenberg, are ongoing.

“We’ve got a couple of players that we’re talking to now, and if those came through we pretty much feel that would fill out our defense,” said Karmanos.

Sounds to me like re-signing Seidenberg is likely to happen, another free agent dman is more than a possibility, if Bayda accepts a 2-way deal he still has a home, Babchuk wasnt even mentioned therefore he's gone and the Ruutu deal has gone quiet meaning they are close and JR is probably just waiting for a final agreement which still may take this week to get to.

Only red flag Im seeing (or not seeing) is there's no mention of top line forward unless, that "other free agent" he refers to is a forward and not a dman, which could also make sense if Seidenberg gets signed. Im more inclined to think that the free agents he refers to are both dmen since that was in response to filling the holes left by Babchuk and Seidenberg.

Whew, did you guys get all that? Of course I need to add that its only my interpretation.;)

Link to Paul's full blog

The only problem I see is that I can't remember the team making a big move like this involving multiple players (other then 2 for 2 like Stillman Commordore for Corvo Eaves).. and we normally don't go after the big guns. Something about the way this management runs I just don't see a big 3 players + picks + cash or whathaveyou = 1 player kind of trade happening in this organization.. but you never know.

Something is in the works though.. that much is apparent... some big changes may happen after the smoke clears.

I agree that trading Brind'Amour would be difficult and controversial, and would not likely happen.

I also agree that JR does not have a history of going after top line guys. But if he did, he could improve this team greatly and fire up an already interested fan base to a fever pitch. We have gradually lost our bona fide top line scorers (Stillman, Williams, Olde Brindy, Olde Cole, etc). We need one more now.

What is more likely, though still may not happen, is to get a guy with 1st line potential. Someone coming off an injury or a bad season who has put up the numbers fairly consistantly in the past, a la Tanguay, Justin Williams, etc. I would be content with that, but fired up about a solid proven first liner.

If we traded 2 or even 3 forwards plus Babchuk, got a first liner and even another 4th line grinder (if we traded 3) we would still have plenty of forward depth, and a true grinding, hitting 4th line, and actually have a true first line also.

I don't get the feeling that JR is going to do this, but you never know.

He said in the article that they called him first thing July 1st.. so this deal has been working for a while... makes you wonder what other kind of quiet deals are going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. This could get exciting before its all said and done.

He said in the article that they called him first thing July 1st.. so this deal has been working for a while... makes you wonder what other kind of quiet deals are going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. This could get exciting before its all said and done.

yep, that is why i keep reminding folks that we have a lot of time between now and the beginning of the season. the team we have today may not be the team that starts the season. there is a lot of time and a lot of things can happen.

For those concerned about the Kostopoulis signing being JR's big move, here's a little tidbit from Paul's blog that should make pretty clear what's going on:

For now, Kostopoulos seems set to take over the roster spot held by Ryan Bayda last season, marking the only change among the team

For now, Kostopoulos seems set to take over the roster spot held by Ryan Bayda last season, marking the only change among the team

Well, lets say it plays out like this: Kabs bought out, Babs leaves. Seids returns. That gives us a decent top 4, with Wallin anchoring a Rat on the 3rd pair. That is fine with me.

If Seids isnt back, we need to find a defencemen. Now, I live in Toronto, and right now they have made some very good defensive pick ups. Right now their d-corps is: Kaberle (the good one), Komasarik, Exelby, Beauchemin, Finger, Frogren, Van Ryn, White. They are in desperate need to offload at least 3 of those guys, and they need some pure scoring talent. Samsonov would fit that bill very well, or even on the lower end, Brian Burke would appear to be content with taking on a player like Patty Eaves and try him out. The first 4 defencemen I listed are probably untouchable, Van Ryn is the best bet for top 4 guy, but is expensive. Frogren is a solid 3rd pair guy, so is Finger. They probably would not give up White.

I would love to see Alberts on the roster. Hoepfully he will be available after the dust settles.

Just heard on the Fan we signed Alberts. IMO this is a good signing to get a big physical defenseman that fits the budget. Maybe JR really does read these boards!

Obviously not a offensive defensemen if his career high for goals is 1... Looks good on hits and blocked shots. Nice stay at home guy it seems. And big. The roster gets bigger and bigger. Hopefully this will be a good addition.. looks to be so far.

*Also another US born guy on the team. We have quite a few, nice to see another one. Boston College alum.. bet he will enjoy ACC basketball season.

Scouting report on Alberts:

Assets: Is a huge physical specimen and also an aggressive type by nature. Likes to lay on the body and owns some shutdown qualities.

Flaws: Will never be a big point producer in the NHL. Struggles against quicker forwards that surpass him on the outside.

Career potential: No. 6 or 7 defenseman.

Well...this would make for an interesting locker room scenario:

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Isin't that fight the one that hyena has in his/her avatar?