The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Isin't that fight the one that hyena has in his/her avatar?

well at least we won't have to worry about him and walker fighting!! LOL

I like this signing, have always liked Alberts and wondered "why can't he be on our team?" - now he is. Sorta like Christmas in the summer time. We are getting meaner and bigger.

If Babchuk and Kaberle are both gone and Siedenberg returns we have:

Corvo/Gleason

Pitkanen/Siedenberg

Vallin/Andrews

We have gotten a lot of size and grit in the last two moves. Still gotta be a trade coming unless JR and Babs can come down off the ledge.

I think this means Babs is gone and maybe Sieds isn't going as good as we want.

Currently we sit at a $50.783 million (nhl numbers) against the cap with the signing of Alberts. Included in this number is Sutter at $1.25 and Kaberle at $2.25 million. Furthermore Ruutu and Babs do not have their numbers included inthe $50.7.

Assuming Kaberle is gone and Sutter plays in Albany. We would have to pay Kabs $750,000 this year with the buyout and we will have $2.75 million left over to spend up to JR's self imposed cap of $51 million. Chances are we will be spending all of that money on Ruutu and maybe then some.

So at this point in time with the limited budget it looks like to me the remainder of the roster will be filled out with Albany guys after Ruutu's contract is settled. I think we will see Babs moved for a draft pick at this point. I believe the depth Eaves brings is far greater than to package him with Babs and/or Conboy for a 3rd liner that we don't need at this time.

It all boils down now to giving something up to get something if we want to change the roster in a significant manner. Higher end possibilities for trades--Cullen, Whitney, and the often talked about Captain? I will gamble on Brindy. I don't see other teams paying that much for him anyway. As for the other two we have enough problems QB'ing the powerplay w/o losing them so I think JR will roll the dice on Albany.

I believe you are confusing external and internal cap here. The external cap is inflated (due to Staal's contract) and irrelevant due to the fact the we will not hit the league max. The internal cap (actual payroll) is at 47.4 with Kabs and Suter on the books. Subtract this and and you're at 45 and change before Ruutu and a 6th defense men. That's a little different picture.

I believe you are confusing external and internal cap here. The external cap is inflated (due to Staal's contract) and irrelevant due to the fact the we will not hit the league max. The internal cap (actual payroll) is at 47.4 with Kabs and Suter on the books. Subtract this and and you're at 45 and change before Ruutu and a 6th defense men. That's a little different picture.

Thanks for the clarification. You are right the nhl numbers was throwing me off. I will sleep better tonight knowing JR can still wheel and deal for a winger and defenseman.

If these numbers are true, then maybe we could re-sign Ruutu and then pick up Derek Morris as a free agent defenceman? This would make us VERY solid. The only thing we would lack is a 1st line scoring winger for Staal, and I think we can adress that another time, maaybe next year. With Morris our d-corps would look like :

Gleason-Corvo

Pitkanen-Morris

Alberts-Wallin

I think Morris is an upgrade over Seids, although I wouldnt mind getting Seids back either.

JR has picked up what I hope are a couple of solid low-level guys. It sounds like they are both physical and Alberts is definitely a big boy. Nice little moves, NOW GET ME MY FIRST LINE WINGER!!!

JR has picked up what I hope are a couple of solid low-level guys. It sounds like they are both physical and Alberts is definitely a big boy. Nice little moves, NOW GET ME MY FIRST LINE WINGER!!!

My guess is the first line winger will unfortunately be next summer when Frolov hits the market. We tried to get him a while back, but the deal fell apart.

My guess is the first line winger will unfortunately be next summer when Frolov hits the market. We tried to get him a while back, but the deal fell apart.

If Ruutu doesnt sign a multi year deal with us this year, expect him to get traded towards the deadline. We have a lot of potential trade options this year and I wouldnt be surprised to see us acquire someone like a Frolov.

If Ruutu doesnt sign a multi year deal with us this year, expect him to get traded towards the deadline. We have a lot of potential trade options this year and I wouldnt be surprised to see us acquire someone like a Frolov.

With the moves that have been made, I fully expect J.R. to start immediately shopping Ruutu if he only does a one year deal. This isn't the way J.R. rolls (see Babchuk and Seidenberg).

We now have 12 forwards on one way contract without Ruutu on the books. Once he is signed, we will have 13. I can't see J.R. going into the season with players in the press box. These numbers don't even include any Rats that may be ready to make the jump. After training camp and the preseason he'll know more about the prospects. I think I like Ruutu as much as anybody here. I was just waiting for him to sign the multi year deal before I ordered my Ruutu jersey. I do think that if J.R. can only get Ruutu inked to a one year deal that he will immediately start looking for a new home for one of our favorites. If the negotiation is too tricky now to get a multi year deal done I'm not sure he will want to go through the same next summer. If Ruutu is signed and thinking one of our prospects will be ready to come up, that will put us at 14 forwards. Say a Ruutu (if and only if a one year deal is signed) and Eaves deal with a side order of Babs to somebody for a shutdown defenseman or first line winger. The money would work out in that.

What we don't know is if the deal is close, or if they are dragging it out to get more time to do something with Kabs, or any of another 100 or reasons it could be taking a while.

based on JR's history of perfect predictability, here is what i see:

-ruutu is resiged; 2, possibly 3 years, 2.8-3 per.

-eaves and/or babchuk moved

-seidenberg or defensemen of equal financial value [2.5 per] is signed for 2-3 years

-kaberle will be bought out, this has to happen now

-next summer, with so much cash coming off the books [walker, wallin, cullen, whitney all must be dealt with, and only corvo and ward can legitimately expect raises], carolina makes the big free agent move we havent seen since 1998 [thats you, ron francis].

now if only that 3.6mil that rod earns through 2011 would somehow disappear.

I'm wondering if Alberts is the guy JR was pursuing to fill out the top 4. If not then he has to be talking to the Sharks about Ehrhoff.

I dont think he was since he said something like "he can jump up to the top if needed".

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060''>http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060' target="_blank">http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060[/post]

Blackhawks are rumored to be shopping one of Sharp, Barker, Byfuglien, or Versteeg. Think Babchuk + Eaves could fetch any of them? Would we even be interested?

I don't think Chicago would take Babchuk back, but you never know.

I don't think Chicago would take Babchuk back, but you never know.

You're probably right, but if they got rid of Barker, they'd probably enjoy a cheap replacement. I'd personally love Sharp, but we all know that's not happening.

You're probably right, but if they got rid of Barker, they'd probably enjoy a cheap replacement. I'd personally love Sharp, but we all know that's not happening.

they will have to do something, right now they are $4.5mil OVER the cap.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060''>http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060' target="_blank">http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=307060[/post]

Blackhawks are rumored to be shopping one of Sharp, Barker, Byfuglien, or Versteeg. Think Babchuk + Eaves could fetch any of them? Would we even be interested?

Versteeg, Barker and Byfuglien are all around 3.0 million... If they need to drop salary, 2 players for 2.4 might equal 1 player for 3.0.. but thats not a huge drop.

Sharp is at 4.1 million... 44 points in 61 games, played top line with Kane and Toews... Could be the #1 winger everybody's looking for, but even for a team over the cap... do you trade a 4 million dollar first liner for 2 1mil 4th liners/3rd D? That hurts and Chicago probably doesnt need depth players, probably would look to trade star for star, but with the cap it may force their hand.

They could do a two for two swap, Versteeg and Barker for Eaves and Babs and drop 4 million in salary, but my how that would hurt.

Versteeg had 53 points in 78 games, Barker had 34 assists. Certainly top line and top 4 D if they come here. What a huge pick up that would be. Throw in a draft pick or a couple minor leaguers for depth and that deal might get done, but its a serious stretch.

Versteeg had 53 points in 78 games, Barker had 34 assists. Certainly top line and top 4 D if they come here. What a huge pick up that would be. Throw in a draft pick or a couple minor leaguers for depth and that deal might get done, but its a serious stretch.

No way they give up Versteeg. A rookie who had 53 points in 78 games has a little bit of value.

Versteeg, Barker and Byfuglien are all around 3.0 million... If they need to drop salary, 2 players for 2.4 might equal 1 player for 3.0.. but thats not a huge drop.

Sharp is at 4.1 million... 44 points in 61 games, played top line with Kane and Toews... Could be the #1 winger everybody's looking for, but even for a team over the cap... do you trade a 4 million dollar first liner for 2 1mil 4th liners/3rd D? That hurts and Chicago probably doesnt need depth players, probably would look to trade star for star, but with the cap it may force their hand.

They could do a two for two swap, Versteeg and Barker for Eaves and Babs and drop 4 million in salary, but my how that would hurt.

I think if you look at the guys we would be looking to move -- someone like Sammy for instance -- I'm not sure that's a salary hit they'd want to pick up. Any one of those 4 would fit great here -- I especially liked the way Byfuglien played in the POs and his size would be sweet. The problem I think is that once you calculate Ruutu's salary hit and a top 4 d-man, we may be looking to do the same thing: drop salary for lower priced guys on the 3rd/4th lines. Let's face it: Walker is making $2.5m for 4th line; Brindy may be 3rd line center for $3.6m. Neither one of those guys is going to be traded given those salaries.

I suppose you could move Cole, LaRose, Eaves for one of these $3.0m guys, which would save them a little money. I'm assuming Chicago isn't thinking they'd solve all of this in one trade.

I think if you look at the guys we would be looking to move -- someone like Sammy for instance -- I'm not sure that's a salary hit they'd want to pick up. Any one of those 4 would fit great here -- I especially liked the way Byfuglien played in the POs and his size would be sweet. The problem I think is that once you calculate Ruutu's salary hit and a top 4 d-man, we may be looking to do the same thing: drop salary for lower priced guys on the 3rd/4th lines. Let's face it: Walker is making $2.5m for 4th line; Brindy may be 3rd line center for $3.6m. Neither one of those guys is going to be traded given those salaries.

I suppose you could move Cole, LaRose, Eaves for one of these $3.0m guys, which would save them a little money. I'm assuming Chicago isn't thinking they'd solve all of this in one trade.

they don't need that many players, they have 25 signed. they most like would take Eaves, Babs rights, and a prospect.

they don't need that many players, they have 25 signed. they most like would take Eaves, Babs rights, and a prospect.

I understand what you're saying, but my point is: why would we trade $1.4m in cap (Eaves) for someone who costs us $3m given that we're going to become salary-strapped ourselves? If we're going to assume a salary in the $3m range, we're going to need to move someone more expensive than Eaves.

So, if another team made an offer sheet to RFA Babchuk of 1.5M average yearly salary. Remember he has turn down 1M from the Canes. What would you do?

A) Not match & take the 2nd round pick.

B ) Match & sign Babchuk for 1.5M year for the length of the contract.

I would take the pick and run!!!

With the moves that have been made, I fully expect J.R. to start immediately shopping Ruutu if he only does a one year deal. This isn't the way J.R. rolls (see Babchuk and Seidenberg).

We now have 12 forwards on one way contract without Ruutu on the books. Once he is signed, we will have 13. I can't see J.R. going into the season with players in the press box. [snip]

What we don't know is if the deal is close, or if they are dragging it out to get more time to do something with Kabs, or any of another 100 or reasons it could be taking a while.

Last year he had both Melichar and Babchuk in the press box at the start of the season. Kabs, Seids, and Gleason all had injury issues that opened up time for them. I want to say Brookbank was up there also (or would have been if Williams and Walker weren't hurt).

You could be right though - JR definitely does not like losing guys he can't sign in FA without getting something back (ex. the Stillman/Commodore trade). If he thinks he'll lose Ruutu he'll look to deal him.