The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

That's very true. That would mean Babchuk (and potentially Samsonov if that's the route we take) would need to be going elsewhere. That would just leave some prospects, picks, and maybe Eaves that they could be interested in. The more I look at possible trades with Chicago, the tougher it's getting to come up with something that would be acceptable for both sides. Makes it awful hard when the main guy we're trying to send away came from them in the first place :mad:

Time will tell...

EDIT~ Any way we might be able to work a Chicago/San Jose/Carolina type of 3-way trade? Some people mentioned the Sharks possibly being interested in Brindy, so maybe that's another piece that could be moved to clear a spot for some younger/cheaper guys.

Regarding the trading with Chicago rumors, it's not happening this summer. Both teams are trying to shed salary, we won't be able to get a deal done.

We have heard from Babchuk that the Rangers and Canucks are interested in him, so they could be potential trade partners.

One potential glitch in some of the above ideas, I doubt Chicago is interested in getting Babchuk back since they gave up on him originally.

as strictly a salary dump they might consider his rights and just pull a JR and offer the same $1mil.

dear everyone,

we still have to resign cam ward next summer. that will cost a lot, even with dead salary coming of the books [wallin, walker, etc].

not necessarily, depends on the economy and the cap. if the cap goes down then we may not take as big a hit to the wallet. most likely when JR is finished with his current issues (Ruutu, Babchuk, Seids, and whatever big deal some second cousin twice removed said he was working on) he will work on an extension. Probably better to do that now than to wait until next July.

not necessarily, depends on the economy and the cap. if the cap goes down then we may not take as big a hit to the wallet. most likely when JR is finished with his current issues (Ruutu, Babchuk, Seids, and whatever big deal some second cousin twice removed said he was working on) he will work on an extension. Probably better to do that now than to wait until next July.

I think the best we could hope for is $5 or $5.5 million a year for 6-8 years. Gonna be hard to get him cheaper than that.

With the economy the way it is, if I were Cam's agent I'd be trying to get a deal done this summer before the cap goes down.

With the economy the way it is, if I were Cam's agent I'd be trying to get a deal done this summer before the cap goes down.

As if Cam wouldn't find a team willing to shell out the big bucks for him, even with a smaller cap. He is a proven Stanley Cup winning goalie which is probably the most valuable asset possible for a team.

As if Cam wouldn't find a team willing to shell out the big bucks for him, even with a smaller cap. He is a proven Stanley Cup winning goalie which is probably the most valuable asset possible for a team.

I guess any idea that isn't yours is bad?

If he wants to remain a Cane and maximize his earning, he would probably be better off trying to get a deal done now. It wouldn't kick in until next year and J.R. has stated that he would like to get it done.

One of these days I'm going to get as smart as you. Until then, I'll go home and put on my 3 wolf moon t-shirt and hope for the best.

I think the best we could hope for is $5 or $5.5 million a year for 6-8 years. Gonna be hard to get him cheaper than that.

You really don't know that, but he WILL get a raise. You tend to throw out money numbers like there is no cap, the economy is booming, and JR is drunk. IF the cap stays the same then MAYBE he gets $5mil but if it goes down $5mil then he might be looking at $3.5 - 4mil. Who would have thunk last year that we would sign Alberts and NonStopolous for what they are making. too many teams are almost up against the cap.

Do you not understand the cap and how it works?? What are these teams of yours going to do with the rest of their players with Cam signed for big bucks? The only teams right now with cap space is Nashville and the Islanders, why would Cam want to play for them? If you know anything about Cam, it isn't all about the money for him.

Do you not understand the cap and how it works?? What are these teams of yours going to do with the rest of their players with Cam signed for big bucks? The only teams right now with cap space is Nashville and the Islanders, why would Cam want to play for them? If you know anything about Cam, it isn't all about the money for him.

Chill out cupcake. I was simply saying he is an extremely valuable asset and we would be best to sign him to long term this off-season. Do you not understand how cap works? You really think if we let Ward go to RFA nobody would pay $6-7 million a year to take him off our hands? Plenty of teams would salary dump to get him. Nothing is more valuable to an team than a goalie who you know has already proven he can take his team to the Stanley Cup and win.

Guy basically said Ward should look to sign a contract soon or he won't get big bucks next year. That would be wrong.

Chill out cupcake. I was simply saying he is an extremely valuable asset and we would be best to sign him to long term this off-season. Do you not understand how cap works? You really think if we let Ward go to RFA nobody would pay $6-7 million a year to take him off our hands? Plenty of teams would salary dump to get him. Nothing is more valuable to an team than a goalie who you know has already proven he can take his team to the Stanley Cup and win.

Guy basically said Ward should look to sign a contract soon or he won't get big bucks next year. That would be wrong.

listen junior, i am not your cupcake. I have been following hockey and the financial aspects while you were in diapers. given the state OF THE ECONOMY and the cap going DOWN by $5mil there will not be as much money next season for teams to spend otherwise yes someone would spend that MAYBE for ward. TO DUMP SALARY YOU HAVE TO HAVE TEAMS WILLING TO TAKE YOUR PLAYERS. Do you think that the Penguins will dump Crosby and Malkin to sign Cam? Do you think the crapitals will dump Ovie?? Or Chicago dump Kane and Toews?

A goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him!! It took a team effort to win the cup, Cam didn't do it all by himself!! And if your ANALysis is correct and the goalie is the most important then why in the heck are we paying Staal $8mil?? After all according to you it is all about the goalie.

SuperDave is correct in that now is the time for Cam to sign an extension, if he waits until next year then the money might not be there.

listen junior, i am not your cupcake. I have been following hockey and the financial aspects while you were in diapers. given the state OF THE ECONOMY and the cap going DOWN by $5mil there will not be as much money next season for teams to spend otherwise yes someone would spend that MAYBE for ward. TO DUMP SALARY YOU HAVE TO HAVE TEAMS WILLING TO TAKE YOUR PLAYERS. Do you think that the Penguins will dump Crosby and Malkin to sign Cam? Do you think the crapitals will dump Ovie?? Or Chicago dump Kane and Toews?

A goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him!! It took a team effort to win the cup, Cam didn't do it all by himself!! And if your ANALysis is correct and the goalie is the most important then why in the heck are we paying Staal $8mil?? After all according to you it is all about the goalie.

SuperDave is correct in that now is the time for Cam to sign an extension, if he waits until next year then the money might not be there.

It's a whole lot easier to write a check now and worry about covering it next year. That's kind of the way these things work. It's why all the retailers do these deals with no payments until next year.

dear everyone,

we still have to resign cam ward next summer. that will cost a lot, even with dead salary coming of the books [wallin, walker, etc].

We don't HAVE to resign anyone. Guys earn their contract and the team will sign who they think earn it. Cam goes 0-82 this year you still want him signed for 7-8 million a year? yeah.. didn't think so.

We don't HAVE to resign anyone. Guys earn their contract and the team will sign who they think earn it. Cam goes 0-82 this year you still want him signed for 7-8 million a year? yeah.. didn't think so.

Is Cam going to go 0-82 next year? yeah I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Ward would have to have an absolutely terrible terrible year for us not to sign him, and if you have a franchise goalie like him, you need to sign him. And who's to say he'll be getting a 7-8 million a year contract? Fleury is similar to him, young stanley cup wining goalies, and his 7 year contract had a cap hit of 5 million and the cap is going down next year anyway.

Is Cam going to go 0-82 next year? yeah I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Ward would have to have an absolutely terrible terrible year for us not to sign him, and if you have a franchise goalie like him, you need to sign him. And who's to say he'll be getting a 7-8 million a year contract? Fleury is similar to him, young stanley cup wining goalies, and his 7 year contract had a cap hit of 5 million and the cap is going down next year anyway.

According to caniac322, no matter how he performs we need to completely gut the franchise and sign him to a huge contract, hence the "extreme" example.. I know he's not gonna go 0-82.

According to dangermouse, no matter how he performs we need to completely gut the franchise and sign him to a huge contract, hence the "extreme" example.. I know he's not gonna go 0-82.

Actually I said we would probably sign him to a long term deal (6-8 years) at $5-5.5 million. In fact that's exactly what I said.

Someone tried to say if he didn't take a big deal from us this summer he wouldn't get money next year, I said he was wrong. I guess I am the only person on here that thinks Stanley Cup winning goalies get paid $6-7 million a year. Yes, even after the cap is speculated to go down.

Actually I said we would probably sign him to a long term deal (6-8 years) at $5-5.5 million. In fact that's exactly what I said.

Someone tried to say if he didn't take a big deal from us this summer he wouldn't get money next year, I said he was wrong. I guess I am the only person on here that thinks Stanley Cup winning goalies get paid $6-7 million a year. Yes, even after the cap is speculated to go down.

Sorry I realized it wasnt you who said that and changed it... The original discussion started with Canic322...

According to caniac322, no matter how he performs we need to completely gut the franchise and sign him to a huge contract, hence the "extreme" example.. I know he's not gonna go 0-82.

All he said was we have to resign him next summer and that he will be due a nice raise, which he will be. He never said we had to "completely gut the franchise" or "sign him to a huge contract"

JR wants to get the lineup bigger, he wants to get Staal a playmaker, and he is a value shopper.

Cullen gets moved to wing on Staal's line and JR trades Babchuck for a young center (Brandon Dubinsky or James Sheppard would be ideal).

JR wants to get some of the young guy's in the mix in order to continue development and to get cheap talent.

To make room for young guys, Corvo, Jokinen, and Samsonov are draft day trades(I like all of these guys, but something has to give)...the team gets picks in return (need to restock the system).

It would be nice if a couple guys would retire and quit stealing money from the Canes, but it ain't happenin...they are a terrible value and therefore untradable...not gonna name names.

JR's one UFA signing is a defenseman...again he is a value shopper and will not look a top tier guys...guys like Paul Mara or Nick Boynton would be nice, but an Ossi Vaananen type is more likely.

Cullen - Staal - Ruutu

Whitney - Dubinsky - Cole

LaRose - Brind'Amour - Eaves

Walker - Sutter - Bayda

Pitkanen - Vaananen

Gleason - Seidenberg

Wallin - Rodney

Ward

Leighton

1) Buyout Kaberle - the savings from the buyout pays for Alberts.

2) Resign Seidenberg and Ruutu.

3) Buyout Brind'Amour - the savings from the buyout pays for Kostopolous.

4) Trade Babchuk's rights for Brandon Dubinsky's rights.

5) Trade Samsonov for a pick or prospect.

Cullen - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Dubinsky - Ruutu

LaRose - Jokinen - Eaves

Walker - Sutter - TKO

Pitkanen - Seidenberg

Gleason - Corvo

Wallin - Borer

Alberts

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Alberts

Wallin-Rodney

I'm assuming some sort of move is coming for a top 4 D-man but if not I could honestly be confident on Oct 2nd with those pairings.

Corvo-Alberts

Imagine the turnovers :blink:

I would like to try Gleason and Pitkanen again, I think that pairing could workout, but putting Corvo and Alberts together, man we would never get the puck out of the zone.

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Alberts

Wallin-Rodney

I'm assuming some sort of move is coming for a top 4 D-man but if not I could honestly be confident on Oct 2nd with those pairings.

IF this is the top-four, I would switch Corvo and Pitkanen. That way, Gleason can help cover up for Corvo and Pitkanen can help cover up for Alberts. To put Alberts and Corvo on the ice together is just too much of a risk to take.