The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I dunno why everyones looking at Whitney, our issue is Brindy. Thats a metric ton of money invested in a 4th line center who wasnt performing the the tasks he used to be dominant at. He can work out all he wants this offseason but he cant reverse the knee injury.

We have to acquire someone on the wing who can play with Staal. Not sure how, but we need someone on the wing to make room for Staal. He needs to be able to enter the zone and he cant do that with his current wingers. Ruutu can be on his wing but we need someone on the other wing that can make room. Cole was that when he was excited and motivated but after that once teams broke out and dusted off the old how to stop Erik Cole books he stunk. He's not dynamic, he does the same things everytime he enters the zone. He's a keep the puck away from you with his reach and plow to the net player who reasonably doesnt like doing that anymore...with very good reason. But his reasons, dont win us hockey games and he hasnt found a new role that puts up 60 points a season and justifies his salary. He wants to stay he better take a hit and I think theres teams with moneybags willing to pay him to bring him on board so I think he's gone.

If kabs goes to the KHL, Cole leaves... Brindy retires we got some moolah to bring in a real winger. I wish Brindy would retire, I think Sutter could take that spot and I think Staal would be the more motivated captain of this team. Theres no questioning when this team was on Staals shoulders when Brindy was out this team took off and you gotta think it had something to do with Staals leadership and right now he's in Brindy's shadow in terms of leading and I dont think Brindy was doing a very good job of that prior to Lavi's firing and at different points under Mo.

I also don't think Mo is the answer, I think the guys got motivated under him and it did alot for them. We've seen what Mo's done ...for us...and for the Leafs. His record is terrible overall and I just dont think if we keep him we'll have a good season next year. Let's face it alot of the sweep versus the Pens was being outcoached and Mo taking to long to make the right calls on the roster. We almost lost versus Boston because Mo gave Babchuk to much of a leash.

I also dont think Ron's the answer, I don't think his hearts in it and I also dont think he did much for our special teams. PP would work one minute and be broke the next and honestly our PK never sucks ever... I cant think of a time in the last 10 years our PK has stunk. We need someone who can make the PP work and in 10 years minus 1... our PP has sucked. Stale and stagnent at times. If we get JR's big body winger he claims of we can do alot more to annony goaltenders and I think our PP numbers will shoot up even if O'Neill was coaching the PP

I don't think the possibility of Brindy coming back next year healthy and significantly better at hockey than he was this year is out of the question or even unlikely. He never really got the chance to fully recover. I think he will this summer. Now if he sucks again next year, then we are in trouble.

Unfortunately, Legend, Brind'amour has already announced he is sticking around and despite never saying it directly it has been made pretty clear that Mo will be staying as well along with Francis if he wants to. Cole and Kaberle leaving need to both happen though in my opinion, because you are right: Staal desperately needs some help.

We can all agree that Staal needs help, but he's not going to get it. Atleast not this year. Maybe next year when the majority of our roster has expiring contracts.

Say JR let's Cole walk. You aren't going to get a guy for $4M to be Staal's wingman. We just don't have the money to offer what other teams are going to offer. As most don't want to hear, Cole will be back next year. Whether he was traded at the deadline or not, his family was coming back to Raleigh regardless. His wife loves it here and they want to raise the children here. He'll take a discount to stay and JR will jump on it.

I really don't see much changing with the offense except Bayda not being re-signed. Atleast not this year. Boychuk, Bowman, and Sutter could all use a full year in the AHL. Boychuk seems closer than the 3 so he could steal a spot come training camp, but I wouldn't expect these guys on the roster this year.

I think one minor change will be done in defense. I don't expect Seidenberg to be back. I think JR goes after a guy in free agency. If that doesn't work Carson/Rodney fight it out in training camp. If Babchuk and or Kaberle leave for Russia, Carson and or Rodney will get their spot.

Those looking for big changes this year will be disappointed. Our big changes won't happen till next year when we have guys like Cullen, Walker, Whitney, etc coming off the books.

As most don't want to hear, Cole will be back next year.

I dont know, sounds like most around here are fine with re-signing Cole as long as its at a reasonable price. And I agree, based on the exit interview Paul posted, it sounds like he'll be willing to work out some kind of compromise with the money. Maybe some $ incentives would be added to any new contract.

My understanding from what Ive read here, is that many just dont want to compromise the potential for signing players like Ruutu and LaRose because too much money is tied up in re-signing Cole.

I do agree that the changes wont be huge, but noticable on the blueline.

I dont know, sounds like most around here are fine with re-signing Cole as long as its at a reasonable price. And I agree, based on the exit interview Paul posted, it sounds like he'll be willing to work out some kind of compromise with the money. Maybe some $ incentives would be added to any new contract.

My understanding from what Ive read here, is that many just dont want to compromise the potential for signing players like Ruutu and LaRose because too much money is tied up in re-signing Cole

I do agree that the changes wont be huge, but noticable on the blueline.

You hit it right on the head TSA. Given the others that need signing let's not get all sentimental about Cole. He is not the same player as he was before the Orpik hit.

I tell ya the type of winger we need for Staal is someone like Corey Perry of Anaheim...6'3, 210 size, 70 point guy (30 G, 40 A) can be a playmaker or shooter, and has great speed. He's like the perfect combination for an NHL winger these days.

However the Ducks won't give him up, so it's a dream scenario. CLF may be right that we're stuck with what we have...are we all sure Cole can't recover to be the player we need?

What I would do is:

Resign Ruutu 3-4 years @ 3 million per year

Resign LaRose 2-3 years @ 2-2.5 million per year

Resign Cole 2 years max @ 2.5-3 million per year and on top of that have incentives as others have said

Jokinen is a toss up for me I am not sure what to do with him I might sign him to a 1 year deal just because he is such a versatile player

Defense:

TRADE KABS

Resign Seidenberg 2 year @ 1.5 million per year

Resign Babchuk 1 year @ 1 million per year

I think what the Canes really need to do is get a winger for Staal we have Matt Cullen who can play 2nd line Center. Someday Boychuk or Bowman can play with Staal, but they need time to develop and get a feel for the NHL 1 or 2 seasons will probably be good. My 1st priority would be trying to get Staal a star winger to play with most likely will have to be through a trade unless we can get a free agent for under 4.5 million because I don't think carolina is going to spend more than that on a free agent if they even do. My 2nd priority would be getting another Defense I think Mike Komisarek is going to be a Restricted free agent he is a pretty good possibility and he is getting paid around 1.8 million right now.

There are a lot of what if's, but I will keep faith in Jim Rutherford and I think he will make good choices for this team like he has done in years past. Honestly I dont want the Canes to go out and WASTE money on some 7 million dollar a year player like a Gaborik or Hossa that is a waste of money. If the Canes do decide to go to the free agent market and not make trades I am sure Jim Rutherford will sign quality players for a reasonable amount of $$ and not break the bank.

I tell ya the type of winger we need for Staal is someone like Corey Perry of Anaheim...6'3, 210 size, 70 point guy (30 G, 40 A) can be a playmaker or shooter, and has great speed. He's like the perfect combination for an NHL winger these days.

However the Ducks won't give him up, so it's a dream scenario. CLF may be right that we're stuck with what we have...are we all sure Cole can't recover to be the player we need?

Corey Perry would be awesome who knows anything could happen from watching him on TV he hustles on every play and he knows how to throw a check or 2.

You hit it right on the head TSA. Given the others that need signing let's not get all sentimental about Cole. He is not the same player as he was before the Orpik hit.

Agreed. Holy Cow, there actually seems to be a consensus building on the forum regarding Cole!!! :o If we can get him for 2 - 2.5 mil. yr. he would be a better option than most other available FA's in that price range. If he's looking for another 4 mil yr. - sorry Cole, love ya, but....bye bye. In his exit interview, this is about what you could read between the lines on JR's opinion of Cole as well.

I think to a degree, Carolina is the type of franchise where some players are willing to give up dollars to stay here. The organization is fairly loyal and treats players with respect. The Raleigh area is a great place to raise a family. We're no Detroit, but have still managed to field contending teams on a semi-regular basis.

It sure will be interesting to see how this plays out. As a low budget team, we certainly need any little advantage we can get.

Thinking outside the box.... could we move Staal to the wing and have Cullen center the top line? Re-signing LaRose, Ruutu, and Cole, that could leave the lines as follows with no FA acquisitons.

Cullen/Staal/Whitney

Jokinen/Samsonov/Ruutu

Brind'Amour/LaRose/Cole

Sutter/Eaves/Walker

I'm no hockey strategist... just throwing out ideas. I don't think the Juice is a 2nd line center, but if Brindy comes back healthy with new life, you could swap them out. Bringing those three back, I have no idea how much that would leave us for picking up someone else for the blue line presuming Seidenberg signs elsewhere. If Carson, Rodney, or Borer are ready though, perhaps it's a moot point. I keep seeing Carson and Rodney's names tossed around, but Borer REALLY impressed me two years ago. I don't know how he's recovered from the injuries though.

Apparently, talks between Zanon and Nashville have stalled. There's the defensive defenseman we need. Quietly does his business, blocks shots, physical, and best of all, flying under the radar.

He would be ideal, but we have to see what the contract he wants is.

He would be ideal, but we have to see what the contract he wants is.

Well, the rumor is anywhere from 2-2.5. Nashville may just sign him and dangle him as trade bait as well.

Well, the rumor is anywhere from 2-2.5. Nashville may just sign him and dangle him as trade bait as well.

With Kaberle potentially leaving for the KHL, if he isn't re-signed by Nashville that could be a great deal.

Depending on the price, how about Johnny Oduya? Exceptional defenseman that can hit and fight. Also, Steve Montador is a UFA this year, while not nearly the caliber of Oduya, he is still a great defenseman that would come at a lesser price.

As far as a winger for Staal, there arnt many options for the amount of money we have to spend. I was looking around and found a player no one has mentioned yet, Stephen Weiss. Yes, he is a center, but like most NHLers I am sure he could play wing. His 47 assist and +18 rating show his offensive skill. Since Florida is losing Bouwmeester (most likely) they will be losing quite a bit of defensive scoring ability. Since Weiss is still under contract, we would have to trade for him, thus my idea of trading Joe Corvo for Stephen Weiss comes about. We would add about $475,000 to the salary, so not too much.

Just a few ideas.

Depending on the price, how about Johnny Oduya? Exceptional defenseman that can hit and fight. Also, Steve Montador is a UFA this year, while not nearly the caliber of Oduya, he is still a great defenseman that would come at a lesser price.

As far as a winger for Staal, there arnt many options for the amount of money we have to spend. I was looking around and found a player no one has mentioned yet, Stephen Weiss. Yes, he is a center, but like most NHLers I am sure he could play wing. His 47 assist and +18 rating show his offensive skill. Since Florida is losing Bouwmeester (most likely) they will be losing quite a bit of defensive scoring ability. Since Weiss is still under contract, we would have to trade for him, thus my idea of trading Joe Corvo for Stephen Weiss comes about. We would add about $475,000 to the salary, so not too much.

Just a few ideas.

Oduya is a good idea...forgot about him. Smallish, but has skill and is tough. Montador has already been discussed and shot down. Mark Stuart however would be a solid guy to go after from Boston; most of you probably don't know about him but he's tough and still young.

In fact Stuart is a great idea...have no idea though about his contract situation. Boston probably wouldn't part with him anyways. Weiss is an interesting case...he does have playmaking skills, and is one of those players who could use a different environment. However I don't see SE division teams trading between each other...yuck.

So your plan is to replace 65 goals of scoring with one guy who could get 40-50 and some players straight up from juniors? That is not a recipe for making the playoffs.

I love the fact we actually have some prospects to be excited about but they still need to develop in the AHL with the exception of Rodney and maybe Sutter. He's got enough AHL seasoning and it is to the point he needs to make the jump or we give up, but the rest of them could really benefit from a year in Albany.

Actually, most of our prospects has played in the AHL. And Boychuk nearly nailed a spot this past season.

Who are you to say the rookies won't be able to score a collective 65 goals this coming year? Boychuk has a lot of potential as a pure goalscorer. Bowman also has put up great numbers in Spokane. You don't know how they'll turn out. I want us to keep LaRose, Jokinen, and Ruutu, but that's probably not possible if we don't want to overpay. A smart idea is replace those we don't resign (whether we can't agree on a contract salary or they get a better offer elsewhere) with players we have in Albany, then with the salary we have freed up now, go after someone that can keep some pressure off Staal.

EDIT: We have enough defensemen in Albany who are NHL ready. Rodney has basically been assured a spot this coming season, Carson, Borer, and Conboy all have seen some NHL games. We have plenty of defensemen who will make the NHL roster. We don't need anyone else on D.

Borer really impressed me a few years back as well and Rodney and Carson seemed to impress a lot this past year, but I think we could be a legitimate contender next year if we simply can find another big time shut down d-man. I would love to see a defense next year of Gleason, Corvo, Pitkanen, Wallin, (FA), and one of the 3 guys in the minors. Our offense does need someone to help Staal, whether or not Cole could be that guy again I don't know, but we probably will only be able to address that next offseason with Walker/Whitney/Cullen becoming FA's and then getting some of our young guys in there like Boychuk, Bowman and Sutter. The offense needs a bit of help, but I think as long as our other guys like Rutuu, Cole ,etc. score then we'll be fine. I think our offense would've given Staal the help he needed if Rutuu, Corvo and Cole had produced close to the level they can in the playoffs.

If we cannot address the offense this offseason though then I wouldn't mind sliding in one of our top minor leaguers into our line up if they're performing well in the AHL.

I have always loved Cole, but lets just tell it like it is...The guy put up 19 assists and 2 goals in 35 games and was a -2. He had 8 of those assists in two blowout wins against Tampa and the Islanders. That means he had 11 assists and 2 goals in the other 33 games he played here. He had no points in the NJD series, and 2 in the BOS series. As the 'Canes went down the stretch, Cole got worse. In our final 27 games, Cole had a whopping 10 assists and 0 goals, 4 of those assists coming in the Islanders rout. The guy is awesome and I have always been a fan (I have a Cole jersey for goodness sake) but if we are going to be honest with ourselves those numbers are substantially worse than a guy like Brind'Amour (24 points after Cole's arrival, including 9 goals) who was playing at best 3rd line minutes. I don't see how you can take a guy who put up those kind of numbers while playing for a contract and expect him to be a top line player, or even a second line player. We all love Cole, and I know everyone is going to argue with "but he hits people and takes up space in front of the net and etc. etc." but in reality the money would clearly be better spent elsewhere so that Staal can get some help from someone who will actually produce.

Based on his comment, I think he's coming back. I agree though, that we'd be better off spending his salary somewhere else on a better player, but I think he'll have a big rebound year this coming season. He had a horrible coach in Edmonton, and he was on a young team with players they leaned on to lead the scoring who were just in their second year in the NHL.

Depending on the price, how about Johnny Oduya?

As far as a winger for Staal, there arnt many options for the amount of money we have to spend.

I think Nj would be nuts to give up Oduya but if we can grab him I say do it.

I think everybody is looking at the wrong wing for Staal. I think Cole stays and it is

the wing Ruutu/Whitney skated that will be replaced on that line. I agree options

might be limited.

I think we have to keep Ruutu but slip him down to a samsonov/Jokinen line

Depending on the price, how about Johnny Oduya?

As far as a winger for Staal, there arnt many options for the amount of money we have to spend.

I think everybody is looking at the wrong wing for Staal. I think Cole stays and it is

the wing Ruutu/Whitney skated that will be replaced on that line. I agree options

might be limited.

might be limited.

It would be awesome to see Havlat play on that line, but he's been making $6 Million a year, but for cheaper players there is also Gionta (4m) and Afinogenov (3.5m). Also Sykora who had a horrible season (2.5m) but he can rebound on a new team.

It would be awesome to see Havlat play on that line, but he's been making $6 Million a year, but for cheaper players there is also Gionta (4m) and Afinogenov (3.5m). Also Sykora who had a horrible season (2.5m) but he can rebound on a new team.

We should keep in mind that, based on what is being said currently in the hockey media, the salary cap will likely not be increasing for the next two years and may even decrease a little. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with teams who spent to the limit this year and have RFA's and UFA's to try and re-sign this summer.

I think Gionta would be interesting but JR says he wants the team to get bigger. Still a 20 goal scorer

and doesn't mind dishing the puck off. Not sure about Afinogenov and think Sykora is to big of a risk.

I think Gionta would be interesting but JR says he wants the team to get bigger. Still a 20 goal scorer

and doesn't mind dishing the puck off. Not sure about Afinogenov and think Sykora is to big of a risk.