The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

We've been looking at the players salary, because that's what our team is budgeted by, but this writer is looking at cap hit. Rozsival's Cap hit is 4.33, so singing Babchuk around 2 mil would save around 2 million.

Ah.. I see... makes a bit more sense that way. :lol:

Just to start the thread up again, here's what I would do to finish the off season.

Buyout Kaberle and sign Seidenberg with that money, around 1.5.

Sign Ruutu to a multi year deal paying him 3 million this year.

Trade Babchuk and Eaves to Columbus for Marc Methot + pick/prospect and sign him to a multi year deal paying him 800k this year.

This would make our team look like this:

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Jokinen

Walker-Ryan-Kostopolous

Conboy

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Methot

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

That would put us at 50.025, 25k over our budget. Someone's contract could be tweaked to get under the 50 million mark. I think that's a pretty solid team with a very nicely rebuilt, young defense.

Oh, and the lines here are just for organizational purposes, not meant to be what I think should be final lines.

Just to start the thread up again, here's what I would do to finish the off season.

Trade Babchuk and Eaves to Columbus for Marc Methot + pick/prospect and sign him to a multi year deal paying him 800k this year.

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-LaRose

Walker-Ryan-Kostopolous

Conboy

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Methot

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

That would put us at 50.025, 25k over our budget. Someone's contract could be tweaked to get under the 50 million mark. I think that's a pretty solid team with a very nicely rebuilt, young defense.

Oh, and the lines here are just for organizational purposes, not meant to be what I think should be final lines.

This sounds doable.. and I don't think they would sweat over 25k (i would hope not.. that's only 0.5% over budget). Does that keep us close enough to the cap to qualify for the revenue sharing? I can't recall all the numbers being thrown around, but they wouldn't set the imposed limit below that and then say that they HAD to hit that mark for the team to be profitable, that wouldn't make sense.

Methot appears to be a good stay at home guy who doesn't get scored on (several years of very high +'s in the OHL) His only year on the minus side of the plus/minus was last year with Columbus, but he only played 9 games (and was only a -1), his 66 games with Syracuse he was a +10. Looking at his points he doesnt score much, although he does contribute, but I would say his + record is from of course being on the ice when they score to get the plus, but I would say he's not on the ice getting scored on, so the few pluses he gets don't get canceled out. For example, his 04-05 year with London in the OHL he only scored 4 goals and 12 assists, but he was a +52. I would say he is not a defensive liability. Last year in 66 games in the NHL he scored 4 goals, 13 assists and a +7. I'd say this is just as good, since your probably not going to score enough at the NHL level for anyone on the club to be a +50something.

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-LaRose

Walker-Ryan-Kostopolous

Conboy

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Methot

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

If this happened, it would allow my to enjoy the rest of my summer without checking back here for updates. That lineup for next year would make me a very happy camper.

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-LaRose

Walker-Ryan-Kostopolous

Conboy

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Methot

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

I like this lineup except we probably don't need Methot if we get Seidenberg. We should leave a spot open for Rodney/Carson/Mcbain and Wallin is decent enough not to sit out as a 7th Defenseman. I'd rather see Babs+Eaves traded to LA for someone like Hickey or to NY for McDonagh if it can be done. Thats just surefire prospect for surefire prospect and Eaves could fit into both of those teams without being automatically considered a 4th liner. Though I really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a trade/signing until after training camp or at least the Red Wing Prospect Tournament we are sending our guys to. Because as your roster stands if any of Bowman/Boychuk/Sutter/Carson/Rodney/Mcbain/ect show that they are ready then they won't have a spot.

I like this lineup except we probably don't need Methot if we get Seidenberg. We should leave a spot open for Rodney/Carson/Mcbain and Wallin is decent enough not to sit out as a 7th Defenseman. I'd rather see Babs+Eaves traded to LA for someone like Hickey or to NY for McDonagh if it can be done. Thats just surefire prospect for surefire prospect and Eaves could fit into both of those teams without being automatically considered a 4th liner. Though I really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a trade/signing until after training camp or at least the Red Wing Prospect Tournament we are sending our guys to. Because as your roster stands if any of Bowman/Boychuk/Sutter/Carson/Rodney/Mcbain/ect show that they are ready then they won't have a spot.

The reason I included trading for Methot was that it would seem Rutherford would rather trade for someone who has already developed and can help the team now. He talks about how long it takes to develop defenseman and his used this mindset when acquiring Pitkanen and Gleason. I also can't remember the last time he traded for a prospect. I also really like Methot's skill set, he is a bigger, younger Gleason, very good in his own zone and put up a little more points than Gleason last year.

On our prospects, I think it would really be the best for them to play in Albany, and the lineup I posted was already moving one forward, so we would have to move two forwards to make a roster spot for a prospect. The only spot that would currently be open would be the 4th line center for Sutter, but I'd rather have him develop in Albany and play first line minutes there, like Eric Staal did the lockout year.

The reason I included trading for Methot was that it would seem Rutherford would rather trade for someone who has already developed and can help the team now. He talks about how long it takes to develop defenseman and his used this mindset when acquiring Pitkanen and Gleason. I also can't remember the last time he traded for a prospect. I also really like Methot's skill set, he is a bigger, younger Gleason, very good in his own zone and put up a little more points than Gleason last year.

On our prospects, I think it would really be the best for them to play in Albany, and the lineup I posted was already moving one forward, so we would have to move two forwards to make a roster spot for a prospect. The only spot that would currently be open would be the 4th line center for Sutter, but I'd rather have him develop in Albany and play first line minutes there, like Eric Staal did the lockout year.

Yeah someone would have to sit but I think it is worth it if Boychuk/Bowman comes to camp and just shows some real great potential. Bowman has some great skills and if he can skate/shoot against our players in prospect camp half as well as he did with the Chiefs I think he has a real chance of making the team. Walker would probably sit if that was the case.

Methot is an OK placeholder for our D coming up but he certainly doesn't have near the first-pairing potential of someone like Hickey or even possibly McDonagh. Those 2 are by most every account NHL ready for next season and if not then, than certainly the season after this one. I just think if you are gonna trade away a surefire prospect like Babchuk you should get back more than a projected 3rd pairing defender, JR knows that, he has said it. I'm sure he doesn't want Babs on the team but I think he'd rather just send him back to Russia than give him away for someone like Methot. Might as well get a surefire prospect in return. Plus all 3 of Rodney, Borer, and Carson held their own when they were called up last year, enough to be a 7th defenseman for sure. I think you could call all three of them pretty developed defenders, they have spent two-three seasons in the AHL after a full career of juniors.

I think Methot would be a great addition to our defensive core. You are very right Rutherford is not a big fan of developing d-man and Methot is young enough 24 years old and has played enough that if we could trade babs and eaves for him I think that it would be a really good deal. Even if we dont get Seidenberg having Methot could very well be enough Wallin and Alberts could be a 3rd pairing or Alberts with Carson,McBain or Rodney. I think all we need is 1 or 2 more moves via trade or free agency to get 1 or 2 more d-man.

I keep thinking there must be a move coming involving forwards. I also would not be shocked if we sign Seidenberg before it is said and done.

If so, we will have Babchuk needing to be traded and at least 2 3rd liners on the 4th line and a relative lack of top line scoring talent. If we sign Siedenberg the defense is done and Babs must go.

So a trade of Babs plus at least one if not two forwards for a top winger is still a possibility at that point. Kind of a bulky trade, but what a team we would have. Let's assume Eaves,Babs, and just to make the point Walker (yes he is unlikely to get traded but while I would trade others I don't want to get this offtrack), and even a draft pick for some top 80 scoring winger. Our line up would be:

Top Winger-Staal-Cole (I might move Cole down, but whatever)

Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Jokinen-Walker

Kostopolous-Brind'Amour-Ryan (I know JR doesn't want Brindy on the 4th line, maybe he moves up depending)

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Wallin (Yes, could be too slow, so shift the pairings if needed)

Buy out Kabs to help the top winger fit under the cap and bring up prospects for injuries or if going with 7 dmen.

The scoring punch of those top 2 lines would be amazing, and that third line would put up a lot of points also. Not to mention scoring from Pitkanen-Corvo and Seidenberg.

I don't like seeing Brindy on the 4th line, and if he can get back some of the magic he could slide up and Walker down, or maybe he retires and Sutter comes back up at some point. I don't know. Also, could put someone else on the 4th line rather than Ryan, like Conboy. Hey, it's not the 4th line that makes it go.

I think that lineup would make us a legitimate contender.

I keep thinking there must be a move coming involving forwards. I also would not be shocked if we sign Seidenberg before it is said and done.

If so, we will have Babchuk needing to be traded and at least 2 3rd liners on the 4th line and a relative lack of top line scoring talent. If we sign Siedenberg the defense is done and Babs must go.

So a trade of Babs plus at least one if not two forwards for a top winger is still a possibility at that point. Kind of a bulky trade, but what a team we would have. Let's assume Eaves,Babs, and just to make the point Walker (yes he is unlikely to get traded but while I would trade others I don't want to get this offtrack), and even a draft pick for some top 80 scoring winger. Our line up would be:

Top Winger-Staal-Cole (I might move Cole down, but whatever)

Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Jokinen-Walker

Kostopolous-Brind'Amour-Ryan (I know JR doesn't want Brindy on the 4th line, maybe he moves up depending)

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Alberts-Wallin (Yes, could be too slow, so shift the pairings if needed)

Buy out Kabs to help the top winger fit under the cap and bring up prospects for injuries or if going with 7 dmen.

The scoring punch of those top 2 lines would be amazing, and that third line would put up a lot of points also. Not to mention scoring from Pitkanen-Corvo and Seidenberg.

I don't like seeing Brindy on the 4th line, and if he can get back some of the magic he could slide up and Walker down, or maybe he retires and Sutter comes back up at some point. I don't know. Also, could put someone else on the 4th line rather than Ryan, like Conboy. Hey, it's not the 4th line that makes it go.

I think that lineup would make us a legitimate contender.

Are you saying throw Walker in the trade? If so, you need to take him out of the lineup there. You could move Brind'Amour to the 3rd line center and Jokinen to the right wing (same line that as on the ice during Jokinen's game 7 goal in NJ), move Ryan to 4th line center and insert Conboy in the lineup.

When I look at our 4th line combinations, I'm really wishing that we had Bayda instead of Conboy now. Bayda-Ryan-Kostopolous, that would be a pretty good 4th line.

I agree with those who say that what we need at this point is a winger to play with Staal. Assuming we can sign Seidenberg and cut Kaberle loose, we should be set on D. I fully expect either Carson or Rodney to make the squad out of camp.

However, I think that Staal is in need of a winger that can finish with any regularity. I know that we're unlikely to get a "true" 1st line winger due to salary constraints, but I wouldn't be surprised if JR goes fishing and pulls in a free agent with the potential to play on a first line. Based on Rutherford's past tendencies, I'll guess that we end up with one of these two guys in the lineup on opening night.

1. Jason Williams

2. Maxim Afinogenov

Both have their issues, but are probably within our price range and have the potential to do well with Staal and Cole.

Thoughts?

I agree with those who say that what we need at this point is a winger to play with Staal. Assuming we can sign Seidenberg and cut Kaberle loose, we should be set on D. I fully expect either Carson or Rodney to make the squad out of camp.

However, I think that Staal is in need of a winger that can finish with any regularity. I know that we're unlikely to get a "true" 1st line winger due to salary constraints, but I wouldn't be surprised if JR goes fishing and pulls in a free agent with the potential to play on a first line. Based on Rutherford's past tendencies, I'll guess that we end up with one of these two guys in the lineup on opening night.

1. Jason Williams

2. Maxim Afinogenov

Both have their issues, but are probably within our price range and have the potential to do well with Staal and Cole.

Thoughts?

Is this all assuming that Ruutu doesn't sign?

Neither Jason Williams or Maxim Afinogenov are 1st line players. You might as well keep Ruutu in that spot. Atleast you'll get the physical play out of Ruutu.

Neither Jason Williams or Maxim Afinogenov are 1st line players. You might as well keep Ruutu in that spot. Atleast you'll get the physical play out of Ruutu.

No way is Jason Williams a 1st line player. Afinogenov CAN be a first line player when he is playing well. He is a whole lot like Samsonov except with a larger range of offensive skills and a better shot. However he is still plagued by incosistent play. Thats what seperates him from being a 1st liner and not being one. I think him on a 1 year deal at a good price isnt a bad idea. But of course I'd rather have Ruutu over him anyday.

Can someone explain to me why re-signing Ruutu is taking so long?! Im sorry, but im just getting really impatient.

No way is Jason Williams a 1st line player. Afinogenov CAN be a first line player when he is playing well. He is a whole lot like Samsonov except with a larger range of offensive skills and a better shot. However he is still plagued by inconsistent play. That's what separates him from being a 1st liner and not being one. I think him on a 1 year deal at a good price isn't a bad idea. But of course I'd rather have Ruutu over him any day.

Can someone explain to me why re-signing Ruutu is taking so long?! I'm sorry, but I'm just getting really impatient.

the last i heard it wasn't the $$$ but the length with Ruutu's agent wanting a shorter contract and JR wanting longer.

No way is Jason Williams a 1st line player. Afinogenov CAN be a first line player when he is playing well. He is a whole lot like Samsonov except with a larger range of offensive skills and a better shot. However he is still plagued by incosistent play. Thats what seperates him from being a 1st liner and not being one. I think him on a 1 year deal at a good price isnt a bad idea. But of course I'd rather have Ruutu over him anyday.

Can someone explain to me why re-signing Ruutu is taking so long?! Im sorry, but im just getting really impatient.

They said it in the article a little while back. It's just a matter of Ruutu only wanting a 1 year deal (As he qualifies for UFA next year) and the team wanting to sign him to 2-3 years. Probably up until a few days before arbitration the team will continue to try to push Ruutu to sign a longer term deal... Why not. Same thing happened with Larose last year and when they finally couldn't agree on long term they ended up signing him to a 1 year deal a week before the arbitration date. So the problem is probably Ruutu resisting wanting to sign a 1 year deal and if they can't convince him by next week to or so to sign long term they will just sign him to 1 year.

1. Jason Williams

2. Maxim Afinogenov

Thoughts?

Regardless of my thoughts about Afinogenov (strongly dislike) and Williams (neutral), I don't think this is going to happen because of one of the items you put in as a qualifier-assuming we resign Dennis. JR's latest interview is up at CH.com and he said that he's been back to Seids' agent a few times and it doesn't look like he'll be returning. The only thing that may make the acquisition of any top line winger possible is that he mentioned trading for a veteran d-man to play with Pitkanen, as opposed to signing a UFA. He did also mention that buying out Kabs was a strong possibility.

http://hurricanes.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=684&id=45138' target="_blank">Full link here[/post]

1. Jason Williams

2. Maxim Afinogenov

Thoughts?

I think Rutherford's interview that was just released is quite interesting and telling. He referenced Seidenberg's talks going nowhere, a trade for a veteran defenseman to play with Pitkanen (Not including Babchuk). Then after that he said if we can trade Babchuk for a good looking prospect or 2 that would be ideal. Just speculating but mentioning the 2 different trades like that makes me think he might already has a trade in the works to move a forward (or 2) for said defenseman which doesn't involve Babchuk. Or in the reverse a good prospect trade in mind already for Babs. I think we could get a great prospect for Babs, a top-6 winger prospect for a proven goal scoring Defenseman prospect I think could work out to be fair.

He also mentioned maybe just waiting it out and trying to pick up a good top-4 defenseman that hasn't found a deal yet in August... There are a couple good defensemen that could benefit our team still available possibly in the price range of simply buying out Kaberle ($1.5 million): Marc-Andre Bergeron, Ossi Vaananen, Martin Skoula, we could take Malik back!

Are you saying throw Walker in the trade? If so, you need to take him out of the lineup there. You could move Brind'Amour to the 3rd line center and Jokinen to the right wing (same line that as on the ice during Jokinen's game 7 goal in NJ), move Ryan to 4th line center and insert Conboy in the lineup.

When I look at our 4th line combinations, I'm really wishing that we had Bayda instead of Conboy now. Bayda-Ryan-Kostopolous, that would be a pretty good 4th line.

Yes, my bad. You are right. We could move Brindy up to the 3rd line and fill out the 4th line any number of ways. If Brindy has anything left he would be a good 3rd line center, if not, well then JR says he isn't going to play on the 4th line anyway.

They said it in the article a little while back. It's just a matter of Ruutu only wanting a 1 year deal (As he qualifies for UFA next year) and the team wanting to sign him to 2-3 years. Probably up until a few days before arbitration the team will continue to try to push Ruutu to sign a longer term deal... Why not. Same thing happened with Larose last year and when they finally couldn't agree on long term they ended up signing him to a 1 year deal a week before the arbitration date. So the problem is probably Ruutu resisting wanting to sign a 1 year deal and if they can't convince him by next week to or so to sign long term they will just sign him to 1 year.

You can mark it down that you heard it here first (I have said it before). If Ruutu only ends up on a one year deal, J.R. will quickly start shopping him and he will be part of the trade that gets us the winger or defenseman that we all agree that we need. I don't think J.R. is going to want to be in a bidding war for Ruutu's services next summer.

Don't buy that Ruutu jersey as soon as he signs a 1 year deal.

I think Rutherford's interview that was just released is quite interesting and telling. He referenced Seidenberg's talks going nowhere, a trade for a veteran defenseman to play with Pitkanen (Not including Babchuk). Then after that he said if we can trade Babchuk for a good looking prospect or 2 that would be ideal. Just speculating but mentioning the 2 different trades like that makes me think he might already has a trade in the works to move a forward (or 2) for said defenseman which doesn't involve Babchuk. I think we could get a great prospect for Babs, a top-6 winger prospect for a proven goal scoring Defenseman prospect I think could work out to be fair.

Well that doesn't sound like a first line winger. I will still hold out hope.

You can mark it down that you heard it here first (I have said it before). If Ruutu only ends up on a one year deal, J.R. will quickly start shopping him and he will be part of the trade that gets us the winger or defenseman that we all agree that we need. I don't think J.R. is going to want to be in a bidding war for Ruutu's services next summer.

Don't buy that Ruutu jersey as soon as he signs a 1 year deal.

Karmonos has the money...give the guy what he wants to stay...as he not proven he's a player to keep?

I hate to say it, but I agree with SD....already have a black Rutuu jersey though....oh well....he still represents what I want to see on the Canes team.