The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I suppose there is another possibility, that Eaves + Babs is what gets offered for a top 4 dman. HOWEVER, you'd really have to find the right partner to make that happen.

Chicago

I really don't want to lose Samsonov or Cullen... I think I'd offer Walker (or does he have a NTC), Eaves and Babs (even though Chicago might not want to take Babchuk back, they can always deal him to another team for a draft pick or something). Since Chicago is looking to cut costs and salaries, this shouldn't be too far a stretch... JR could do it if anyone could.

Eric, you said "I like the line combos you have up there, swapping Walker for Sammy is not a huge change." What do you mean, exactly? I think Samsonov has a ton more offisive talent and scoring potential than Scotty. I view Walker as a grittier and slightly more productive Eaves - a long way away from the top five franchise scorer.

*Edited - if Walker has NTC and wants to stay, throw in a pick or cheap prospect

Boston is in the same boat as Chicago, they have to move someone to free up money. So, I read an interesting idea of giving Aaron Ward another chance here (for a season). An Eaves for Ward (throw in Babs or something small) deal sounds like a win-win deal for us and the Bruins, as they save money, get someone who played there (Boston College, so he is familiar with the area/fans) and is their type of player for someone who will likely retire soon and only has a year left on contract. It gives us someone we are sure of and will likely fill that hole in the d. If he doesn't work out, just don't resign him... kinda like a Playoff Run signing.

Of course there is a possibility of drama in the locker room, but I doubt that will be a problem as Walker has suggested that there isn't anything between them after his apology.

I'm not GM, and never claimed to be, so fire at will my friends! :lol:

Not to toot my own horn, but honk! honk! ;)

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=20237&view=findpost&p=285396' target="_blank">This[/post] is what I had to say a couple of weeks ago in the infamous Ruutu/arbitration thread. I was off by about $1M over 3 years. IMHO, there was very little chance we were going to sign him to a 1 year deal, and truth be told, I sincerely doubt his agent wanted a 1 year deal given the world economy and the projected cap situation next year. Nice job JR.

Yep, good call. JR paid more than I thought he would to get that 3rd year, which is a good indication he's happy with what he's getting. I figured they would do a 2 year. Glad to have him for 3, and we know the Finnish brigade is good for the next 2.

Chicago

I really don't want to lose Samsonov or Cullen... I think I'd offer Walker (or does he have a NTC), Eaves and Babs (even though Chicago might not want to take Babchuk back, they can always deal him to another team for a draft pick or something). Since Chicago is looking to cut costs and salaries, this shouldn't be too far a stretch... JR could do it if anyone could.

Eric, you said "I like the line combos you have up there, swapping Walker for Sammy is not a huge change." What do you mean, exactly? I think Samsonov has a ton more offisive talent and scoring potential than Scotty. I view Walker as a grittier and slightly more productive Eaves - a long way away from the top five franchise scorer.

*Edited - if Walker has NTC and wants to stay, throw in a pick or cheap prospect

Boston is in the same boat as Chicago, they have to move someone to free up money. So, I read an interesting idea of giving Aaron Ward another chance here (for a season). An Eaves for Ward (throw in Babs or something small) deal sounds like a win-win deal for us and the Bruins, as they save money, get someone who played there (Boston College, so he is familiar with the area/fans) and is their type of player for someone who will likely retire soon and only has a year left on contract. It gives us someone we are sure of and will likely fill that hole in the d. If he doesn't work out, just don't resign him... kinda like a Playoff Run signing.

Of course there is a possibility of drama in the locker room, but I doubt that will be a problem as Walker has suggested that there isn't anything between them after his apology.

I'm not GM, and never claimed to be, so fire at will my friends! :lol:

As much as Chicago has been a good trading partner in the past and apparently have a need to dump salary and have some good d-men, I don't think they'd be looking to pick up either Babs or Sammy again. They had them before and they moved them. Maybe given it's different management they'd be interested in having them back, but I'm dubious.

If Chicago is a potential partner, I think it's going to be Eaves + D prospect (McBain?) + high draft pick for one of their D-men. I think we should jump at the chance to get Seabrook, but I'm doubting his availability.

As much as Chicago has been a good trading partner in the past and apparently have a need to dump salary and have some good d-men, I don't think they'd be looking to pick up either Babs or Sammy again. They had them before and they moved them. Maybe given it's different management they'd be interested in having them back, but I'm dubious.

If Chicago is a potential partner, I think it's going to be Eaves + D prospect (McBain?) + high draft pick for one of their D-men. I think we should jump at the chance to get Seabrook, but I'm doubting his availability.

With Babs they don't have to sign him, they would just have his rights unless he decided to play for the $1mil qualifying offer. You have to remember that they are getting something they could trade later and dumping salary.

I really doubt they would trade Seabrook/Keith as they are pretty amazing together and they are pretty much the foundation of Chicago's Defense. Campbell is way too expensive. Barker, probably their only other top-4 D, would be an amazing pickup if they could manage that trade. I really don't see them breaking up Seabrook/Keith but who knows they might be interested in trading Barker. They don't seem entirely too enamored by him as he has failed to make the team for the past 3 seasons (Each year being called up in the middle of the season). Barker is very similar to Babchuk in that he is offensive minded... He is younger (23) and passes more (6 goals, 34 assists) but is definitely more defensively stable. I don't know if they would want to take on Eaves's contract though as they have a ton of forwards and are over cap already so it would probably cost us prospects/draft picks. Of course then we'd have to find a way to fix our own salary problems.

Two other teams that have 8-9 D signed (with extra top-4 guys) are Toronto and Dallas. They both don't have a power-play quarterback type of guy either and could use a player like Babchuk and both could probably also use Eaves as a third-liner.

I really doubt they would trade Seabrook/Keith as they are pretty amazing together and they are pretty much the foundation of Chicago's Defense. Campbell is way too expensive. Barker, probably their only other top-4 D, would be an amazing pickup if they could manage that trade. I really don't see them breaking up Seabrook/Keith but who knows they might be interested in trading Barker. They don't seem entirely too enamored by him as he has failed to make the team for the past 3 seasons (Each year being called up in the middle of the season). Barker is very similar to Babchuk in that he is offensive minded... He is younger (23) and passes more (6 goals, 34 assists) but is definitely more defensively stable. I don't know if they would want to take on Eaves's contract though as they have a ton of forwards and are over cap already so it would probably cost us prospects/draft picks. Of course then we'd have to find a way to fix our own salary problems.

Two other teams that have 8-9 D signed (with extra top-4 guys) are Toronto and Dallas. They both don't have a power-play quarterback type of guy either and could use a player like Babchuk and both could probably also use Eaves as a third-liner.

you have to remember though, they need to shed salary so you either dump one high paid guy or several smaller contracts. I am just glad we don't have to make that decision.

I think there are likely two different trades coming. I think the scenarios for those trades are as follows:

Trade #1: Get a Top 4 D-man to Play With Pitkanen

Scenario #2: As much as I think Eaves is the odd man odd, I think shopping him may be difficult. It's possible that the prospect and draft pick help seal the deal, but it's also possible that the receiving team may be looking for something a little more solid in the scoring department, someone who can play either 2nd line or 3rd line. In this scenario, I see us moving Samsonov + draft pick + prospect (hopefully not one of our top ones) for a top 4 d-man.

Scenario #3: This is where we get into areas called "you have to give up something special to get something special." So it's possible we could be looking at a situation where our trading partner says "if you're getting a top 4 dman, then we want a top 6 forward." This is obviously a situation where JR would REALLY REALLY want that particular d-man. In this situation, I think it's POSSIBLE, but not PREFERABLE, that either Cullen or Whitney would be the forward. Both are in the last year of their deal. 1, Brindy looks strong in training camp and can resume the 2nd line center spot and 2, One of Sutter/Boychuck/Bowman is ready to play 3rd line along with Sammy and Jokinen.

Trade #2: Get Prospects for Babchuk

I'm hoping that what happens here is that Trade #1 is either Scenario #1 or Scenario #2 and that we lose prospects/draft picks in the process of getting our top 4 dman. In which case I believe we will look to re-fill those prospects and draft picks by then moving Babs.

I suppose there is another possibility, that Eaves + Babs is what gets offered for a top 4 dman. HOWEVER, you'd really have to find the right partner to make that happen.

We need a solid young second line forward. We need to build around Staal. I think we have a good system and can find or trade for a D-man later once we see who is producing. I can't believe I'm actually reading that people believe Brindy will be on the 3rd line. That is the last thing we need. Not to mention hopes of him having a good training camp and making 2nd line. He always has a good camp but its his stamina and endurance dies mid season. He is slow and not because of the injury. He was slow before his injury.

I say we be aggressive trade Cullen + Eaves + draft pick + prospect or whoever for a possible 1st liner. Staal needs some pressure and we need someone to balance out the inconsistency of our offense.

We need a solid young second line forward. We need to build around Staal. I think we have a good system and can find or trade for a D-man later once we see who is producing. I can't believe I'm actually reading that people believe Brindy will be on the 3rd line. That is the last thing we need. Not to mention hopes of him having a good training camp and making 2nd line. He always has a good camp but its his stamina and endurance dies mid season. He is slow and not because of the injury. He was slow before his injury.

I say we be aggressive trade Cullen + Eaves + draft pick + prospect or whoever for a possible 1st liner. Staal needs some pressure and we need someone to balance out the inconsistency of our offense.

That's what it's going to take for this team to click this year. Yes, it may be wishful thinking, but Brindy came back the first of last year on one leg. His play was a little better down the stretch. He went into this off season without needing 2 knee surgeries like last year. If he comes back with 2 legs instead of 1, he may be able to produce on the third line. His minutes will need to be cut and some of that can come from using Kostopolous on the PK and minimizing Brindy's time there and on the PP. Third line minutes with little special teams time may be possible.

If Brindy is on the 4th line that will mean Jussi will be the 3rd line center. I think we get more out of him on the wing and that and if Brindy is able to play 3rd line minutes that will free up a forward for a trade to bring in defensive help.

basically the answer is Eaves, Babs, Stormy, and Tripp Tracy for a good D Man....I think this solves all our problems on so many levels.

Stormy has the bulk!!!

It is interesting that Brind'Amour's name is coming up. I hope that he can function as the third line center, and he still produced points last year, but I fear the worst. Those suggesting we trade Cullen should really think that over. The team with Brind'Amour as second line center was the team that was in free fall last year. In fact, it was really the move to demote Brind'Amour combined with the efficiencies of the coaching change that led to the turnaround. The turnaround was already well in place before the Cole trade. Cole helped some, but not that much.

Everyone says no one works harder and he will be that much better, but he has always worked hard, so that is a constant, not an improvement. There is no question that he can function as a 4th line center, but $3 million is a lot for a 4th line center.

Brindy still has the skillset as evidenced by the fact that he still put up 50 points (mostly assists, but whatever), but he has lost a major step. I hope I am wrong, because when he was good he was really good, but the last thing this team needs to do is trade our second line center Matt Cullen. I will once again predict that if Cullen stays healthy he will put up near first line numbers next year.

Imagine if we had Brind'Amour's 3 million, then bought out Kaberle. We could get a pretty decent winger.

I will say this. If Brind'amour does find his missing step, we will be loaded.

It is interesting that Brind'Amour's name is coming up. I hope that he can function as the third line center, and he still produced points last year, but I fear the worst. Those suggesting we trade Cullen should really think that over. The team with Brind'Amour as second line center was the team that was in free fall last year. In fact, it was really the move to demote Brind'Amour combined with the efficiencies of the coaching change that led to the turnaround. The turnaround was already well in place before the Cole trade. Cole helped some, but not that much.

Everyone says no one works harder and he will be that much better, but he has always worked hard, so that is a constant, not an improvement. There is no question that he can function as a 4th line center, but $3 million is a lot for a 4th line center.

Brindy still has the skillset as evidenced by the fact that he still put up 50 points (mostly assists, but whatever), but he has lost a major step. I hope I am wrong, because when he was good he was really good, but the last thing this team needs to do is trade our second line center Matt Cullen. I will once again predict that if Cullen stays healthy he will put up near first line numbers next year.

Imagine if we had Brind'Amour's 3 million, then bought out Kaberle. We could get a pretty decent winger.

I will say this. If Brind'amour does find his missing step, we will be loaded.

basically the answer is Eaves, Babs, Stormy, and Tripp Tracy for a good D Man....I think this solves all our problems on so many levels.

Don't forget Dancing Granny and a sack full of cowbells.

'remkin' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:12 PM' post='287254']

It is interesting that Brind'Amour's name is coming up. I hope that he can function as the third line center, and he still produced points last year, but I fear the worst.

He has to function as a third line center since JR has already said he wasn't paying him for 4th line minutes. Although I was one of the early posts mentioning Brindy as a possible trade I don't think so

anymore at least not until later in the season. JR keeps saying if we have to trade a winger and that isn't Brindy or Cullen.

There is no question that he can function as a 4th line center, but $3 million is a lot for a 4th line center.

I agree Brindy is good at his age and a fourth line center, key face off man, PK and limited PP use. He could surprise us this year. I hope so.

It will take someone with a better calculator and sharper pencil (brain) then me but how much do we have left to sign a Dman without a trade. Instead of buying Kabs out could we trade him for maybe half his salary or a little more and pay the difference? Wouldn't this make Kabs more attractive in a trade?

'remkin' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:12 PM' post='287254']

It is interesting that Brind'Amour's name is coming up. I hope that he can function as the third line center, and he still produced points last year, but I fear the worst.

He has to function as a third line center since JR has already said he wasn't paying him for 4th line minutes. Although I was one of the early posts mentioning Brindy as a possible trade I don't think so

anymore at least not until later in the season. JR keeps saying if we have to trade a winger and that isn't Brindy or Cullen.

There is no question that he can function as a 4th line center, but $3 million is a lot for a 4th line center.

I agree Brindy is good at his age and a fourth line center, key face off man, PK and limited PP use. He could surprise us this year. I hope so.

It will take someone with a better calculator and sharper pencil (brain) then me but how much do we have left to sign a Dman without a trade. Instead of buying Kabs out could we trade him for maybe half his salary or a little more and pay the difference? Wouldn't this make Kabs more attractive in a trade?

I can't believe I'm actually reading that people believe Brindy will be on the 3rd line. That is the last thing we need. Not to mention hopes of him having a good training camp and making 2nd line. He always has a good camp but its his stamina and endurance dies mid season. He is slow and not because of the injury. He was slow before his injury.

It has never been a question of stamina or endurance with Brindamour. If you can somehow support your claim with fact, please go ahead, but I don't think you can. He was the best faceoff man in the NHL last year. #1. He played well in February and March after taking a couple of games off to heal(22 points, +7 in 28 GP while averaging about 18 min per game). He will center the 3rd line this season. I would bet money on it.

I say we be aggressive trade Cullen + Eaves + draft pick + prospect or whoever for a possible 1st liner.

Then who would be your 2nd line center? We get good production out of Cullen: Good F/O man, plays on both the pp and pk, scores goals. I'm not saying he can't or won't be traded, but I would be disappointed unless the return was just too good to pass on.

I don't think Staal needs elite winger to play his best. See him in 05-06 - he plays like animal on line with Cory. Stillman is just perfect type for him - underrated playmaker with expierence who knows how to make his linemates to be effective. It's time to find new Stillman, JR. Or maybe you will bring Cory on Raleigh ( i thinks he's available and Florida will make to trade him ).

I wasn't comparing their skill sets.. just playing around with the line combos he had.. sorry that was confusing. My original comments were based on trading Eaves, but he had mentioned trading Samsonov who was a 3rd line guy for him, so I was saying to move Walker up to the third and then have 2 rookies/rats (Ryan/Conboy) on the 4th line. I wasn't trying to compare them apples to apples.. i just meant like "Ok.. you drop Sammy.. move Walker up to third line where he belongs anyway..no sweat"

I think we are all under the impression that Kaberle has a no trade clause, or that he has been attempted to be moved multiple times and no one wants him. Trading Kaberle right now seems a dead end.. but packaged with a couple other players who knows. But among people in the know he is listed as those with no-move clauses.

I wasn't comparing their skill sets.. just playing around with the line combos he had.. sorry that was confusing. My original comments were based on trading Eaves, but he had mentioned trading Samsonov who was a 3rd line guy for him, so I was saying to move Walker up to the third and then have 2 rookies/rats (Ryan/Conboy) on the 4th line. I wasn't trying to compare them apples to apples.. i just meant like "Ok.. you drop Sammy.. move Walker up to third line where he belongs anyway..no sweat"

Ah, gotcha! Thanks! ;)

I don't think Staal needs elite winger to play his best. See him in 05-06 - he plays like animal on line with Cory. Stillman is just perfect type for him - underrated playmaker with expierence who knows how to make his linemates to be effective. It's time to find new Stillman, JR. Or maybe you will bring Cory on Raleigh ( i thinks he's available and Florida will make to trade him ).

The thing about '06 though is that we absolutely caught lighting in a bottle with lines 1-3. We had so many guys put up their career years, we never got to see them all together again though because of the injuries many of them (Stillman, Kaberle) all sustained during the Cup run that led to that team's breaking up. We had a full out 3 lines putting up top line numbers so Staal's line didn't have to be matched up against the best defenders on the opposing teams night in and night out. With Brindy's health a big question we don't know if we'll be able to roll 3 consistent scoring lines, and with Cullen's injury problems the last few years we don't know if we'll be able to roll 2 consistent lines. (This is worst case scenario of course) A top line winger would certainly give us one of the best first lines in the league and alleviate questions some may have in case this team goes through injury hardship yet again. I do think we need a big winger for Staal, but even if we don't get it this offseason then we are should still factor into the race this year in the East pretty heavily.

Here's something for all to ponder since there's liitle talk about. While trying to figure out what was a reasonable contract price for Phil Kessel, they did comparisons of his production to other top scorers: (all you stats addicts will like this one :) )

Opposing snapshots of Kessel's production

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff July 21, 2009 01:46 PM

A few months back, we took a look at Phil Kessel's goal-scoring breakdown against playoff and non-playoff teams in the context of all Black-and-Golders with 10 or more strikes. Kessel was the low man, scoring 19.4 percent of his 36 goals against playoff clubs. This is one statistic the Bruins have been considering in setting their salary for Kessel, with the theory being that it's harder to score goals against better teams.

By applying the same breakdown to the players who scored 36 or more goals last season, Kessel brings up the rear again. Here are the top scorers in descending order of production against playoff teams:

1. Loui Eriksson, 63.9 percent

2. Dany Heatley, 61.5

3. Patrick Marleau, 55.3

4. Rick Nash, 55

5. Zach Parise, 51.1

6. Thomas Vanek, 50

7. Ilya Kovalchuk, 48.9

8. Mike Cammalleri, 48.7

9. Marian Hossa, 47.5

10. Alex Ovechkin, 42.9

11. Jeff Carter, 39.1

12. Eric Staal, 37.5

13. Kessel, 19.4

It's a significant dropoff from Staal in 12th place to Kessel in 13th.

However, let's apply another breakdown to the top goal scorers, and see how Kessel fares. This time, let's look at the theory that it's harder to score even-strength goals than power-play goals. In descending order, here is the percentage of power-play goals among total goals recorded by the league's best snipers, with average PP TOI per game noted:

1. Vanek, 50 percent (3:50)

2. Cammalleri, 48.7 (4:03)

3. Heatley, 38.5 (4:05)

4. Staal, 35 (4:15)

5. Ovechkin, 33.9 (5:24)

6. Parise, 31.1 (3:41)

7. Carter, 28.3 (2:43)

8. Marleau, 28.2 (3:54)

9. Kovalchuk, 27.9 (5:48)

10. Hossa, 25 (3:03)

11. Kessel, 22.2 (2:22)

12. Eriksson, 19.4 (3:00)

13. Nash, 15 (3:38)

Of the 13 players, Kessel averaged the last amount of PP ice time per game. So you could assume that given more man-advantage opportunities, Kessel could have added to his goal total.

ANALYSIS: While these are only two statistical snapshots of Kessel's production, they prove that there are different ways to interpret his output. Just by looking at these two examples, you can get a picture of why the two sides are not close to an agreement.

With the talk about Staal and a first line winger (no secret I favor getting this). These stats seem to show that the better teams were able to shut Staal down relative to other elite scorers AND that Staal scored a disproportionate amount of his goals on the PP. He saw more PP time than everyone but Kovalchuk and Ovechkin.

This is indirect evidence that could be interpreted as this: the better teams were able to shut down Staal since he does not really have 1st line capable linemates, but when he was turned loose on the PP, where it is harder to key on him, he scored nearly at will. Thus, bring in a first line winger to draw some attention away from Staal and Staal's 5 on 5 goals should increase.

Cory Stillman makes the case even more starkly. No question Stillman was at his peak that cup year (though his career year actually came the year prior with Tampa). But the effect was what it was. Stillman had 21 goals and 55 assists good for 76 points. And it wasn't the new rules, since he actually beat that with Tampa under the old rules. We also had Hall of Fame Brindy and All Star Justin Williams anchoring the second line. They're both gone now.

Get the winger.

With the talk about Staal and a first line winger (no secret I favor getting this). These stats seem to show that the better teams were able to shut Staal down relative to other elite scorers AND that Staal scored a disproportionate amount of his goals on the PP. He saw more PP time than everyone but Kovalchuk and Ovechkin.

This is indirect evidence that could be interpreted as this: the better teams were able to shut down Staal since he does not really have 1st line capable linemates, but when he was turned loose on the PP, where it is harder to key on him, he scored nearly at will. Thus, bring in a first line winger to draw some attention away from Staal and Staal's 5 on 5 goals should increase.

Cory Stillman makes the case even more starkly. No question Stillman was at his peak that cup year (though his career year actually came the year prior with Tampa). But the effect was what it was. Stillman had 21 goals and 55 assists good for 76 points. And it wasn't the new rules, since he actually beat that with Tampa under the old rules. We also had Hall of Fame Brindy and All Star Justin Williams anchoring the second line. They're both gone now.

Get the winger.

I also believe getting that first line winger would be EXCELLENT.. However, I don't think JR has mentioned anything about getting another winger. I just don't think its going to happen. But, of course, the lord saith "JR works in mysterious ways.." So, we will just see... Maybe this dman trade is going to be a bigger trade than we all expect and will also include a first line winger.

GO CANES

I also believe getting that first line winger would be EXCELLENT.. However, I don't think JR has mentioned anything about getting another winger. I just don't think its going to happen. But, of course, the lord saith "JR works in mysterious ways.." So, we will just see... Maybe this dman trade is going to be a bigger trade than we all expect and will also include a first line winger.

GO CANES

True. I think the thread is about us playing GM though (more than predicting what JR will actually do). I agree that I have never heard him say he is going for a first line winger. Not that he doesn't hold some cards close, but generally he has mostly done what he says he is going to do.

On predicting, I agree. I doubt JR gets us the winger in question before the season starts. The only way would be if someone suddenly craved them some Babchuk and Eaves and wanted to give up an undervalued winger with potential. Not too likely. The more likely thing would be something like: Brind'Amour starts the minus thing again and finally retires or agrees to a trade or buy out as the season progresses. Additionally at least one prospect (Boychuk?) steps up to at least 3rd line capability.

Now with the cap room and too many good but not great forwards, JR packages some forwards for that undervalued winger with potential. He probably still doesn't pull the trigger unless the team is underperforming. If we are playing well he will probably stand pat until the pre-playoff rental season begins (stand pat in terms of the 1st line winger).

Now if I were king I would get that first line winger now. As long as it wasn't my money.