The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

True. I think the thread is about us playing GM though (more than predicting what JR will actually do). I agree that I have never heard him say he is going for a first line winger. Not that he doesn't hold some cards close, but generally he has mostly done what he says he is going to do.

On predicting, I agree. I doubt JR gets us the winger in question before the season starts. The only way would be if someone suddenly craved them some Babchuk and Eaves and wanted to give up an undervalued winger with potential. Not too likely. The more likely thing would be something like: Brind'Amour starts the minus thing again and finally retires or agrees to a trade or buy out as the season progresses. Additionally at least one prospect (Boychuk?) steps up to at least 3rd line capability.

Now with the cap room and too many good but not great forwards, JR packages some forwards for that undervalued winger with potential. He probably still doesn't pull the trigger unless the team is underperforming. If we are playing well he will probably stand pat until the pre-playoff rental season begins (stand pat in terms of the 1st line winger).

Now if I were king I would get that first line winger now. As long as it wasn't my money.

Not that I disagree but don't discount teams that are way over the cap wanting to unload some salary for Eaves and Babs rights. As we sit today Chicago, Ottawa, Boston, Detroit, and the Crapitals are all over the cap with Chicago, Ottawa, and Boston being the worst offenders. The will need to do something and we all know JR is ever the opportunist. I have a gut feeling something will go down soon, especially now that Ruutu is locked up and a decision seems to have been made on the Seids/Babs front.

Not that I disagree but don't discount teams that are way over the cap wanting to unload some salary for Eaves and Babs rights. As we sit today Chicago, Ottawa, Boston, Detroit, and the Crapitals are all over the cap with Chicago, Ottawa, and Boston being the worst offenders. The will need to do something and we all know JR is ever the opportunist. I have a gut feeling something will go down soon, especially now that Ruutu is locked up and a decision seems to have been made on the Seids/Babs front.

Oh please, oh please! Now you're giving me hope. My only question is Eaves and Babs don't make combined what a first liner does and we still need another defenseman. It would seem that we would also have to lose some salary somehow.

Something is coming soon...I just hope they announce it before I have to jump into my noon meeting! :lol:

And the recycling continues...good call to whoever pointed out that Eaves used to play at BC. Not too suprising considering that Ward still lives in Raleigh and fits for what we need. It is startig to get a bit weird at all the returns though!

I wasn't the biggest Eaves fan out there, but he deserves better than being bought out. Of course, that means the trade was A. Ward for a 4th rounder. Thumbs up, JR :lol:

I wasn't the biggest Eaves fan out there, but he deserves better than being bought out. Of course, that means the trade was A. Ward for a 4th rounder. Thumbs up, JR :lol:

Do GM's around the league have a red flashing light or siren that comes on or a siren or something when J.R.'s number comes up on the caller ID?

Do GM's around the league have a red flashing light or siren that comes on or a siren or something when J.R.'s number comes up on the caller ID?

He uses *67, and when the other GM's pick up...it's too late! :lol:

And the recycling continues...good call to whoever pointed out that Eaves used to play at BC. Not too suprising considering that Ward still lives in Raleigh and fits for what we need. It is startig to get a bit weird at all the returns though!

Yeah JR's resistance to change never ceases to amaze me. But I can't think of one reason that this trade isn't great. I don't personally like Ward because of what he said about canes fans and the team last playoffs and I never really liked him that much in his first tenure here but he is definitely the cheap top-4 defensemen that we needed.

Boston is in the same boat as Chicago, they have to move someone to free up money. So, I read an interesting idea of giving Aaron Ward another chance here (for a season). An Eaves for Ward (throw in Babs or something small) deal sounds like a win-win deal for us and the Bruins, as they save money, get someone who played there (Boston College, so he is familiar with the area/fans) and is their type of player for someone who will likely retire soon and only has a year left on contract. It gives us someone we are sure of and will likely fill that hole in the d. If he doesn't work out, just don't resign him... kinda like a Playoff Run signing.

Of course there is a possibility of drama in the locker room, but I doubt that will be a problem as Walker has suggested that there isn't anything between them after his apology.

I'm not GM, and never claimed to be, so fire at will my friends! :lol:

JR READS MY POSTS! Or he spends time at http://www.canescountry.com/' target="_blank">Canes Country[/post]... either way, I like this deal. Great work, Mr. Rutherford!

And the Bruins promptly put Eaves on waivers, for the purpose of buying him out.

Ouch.

I got $10 on JR checking the waiver wire, realizing that Eaves did indeed once play for the Canes, and promptly pick him up. Any takers? :lol:

I got $10 on JR checking the waiver wire, realizing that Eaves did indeed once play for the Canes, and promptly pick him up. Any takers? :lol:

hahahha....that would be awesome...then he'd really be thinking with his dipstick!

I don't think we heard the last of Eaves!!!! ;)

I hope this is the last we have heard of him... We don't need any other 4th liners and Eaves needs to find a team that will trust him enough to put him on a scoring line. He's no good to us especially when we need the spot to bring up our prospects.

Not a bad pick up--he knows the players--some a bit too well maybe.....And he plays a hard nosed d first game. Most of all--Aaron understands that a shot blocked is a shot not scored, so he picks up for Seidenberg as well.

As for Roddy, what I would like to see happen, is to have him play like 7 or 8 of every 10 games and then give someone like Sutter or Boychuk or Dodge the chance to fill in on the off nights. That way Roddy gets the rest he needs and the prospects get the TOI they need at the NHL level. Sutter and Boychuk obviously would be the 3rd line center (or Jussi could play center and Boychuk wing) and if Dodge came up, Jussi could move to the 3rd slot and Dodge to the fourth.

Yeah JR's resistance to change never ceases to amaze me. But I can't think of one reason that this trade isn't great. I don't personally like Ward because of what he said about canes fans and the team last playoffs and I never really liked him that much in his first tenure here but he is definitely the cheap top-4 defensemen that we needed.

Give it up dude. What's past is past and it was all grandstanding to try to get the league to suspend Walker. Ward knew what he was doing when he stood there with his eyes closed and his hands at his sides.

I agree, and sorry to see Eaves go, on a personal level I just liked the guy, more from Skate with the Canes than anything. I figured all along he was the goner. To then get bought out has got to be a real blow for him. It is basically a salary dump for them, and JR strikes again. Crazy. Dump Babs and buyout Kabs and we're set. And looking pretty damn good too.

I think JR does reads these posts! There were a few of us (including me) who mentioned Aaron Ward back here. It goes without saying that this was a great deal for us. I feel kinda bad for Eaves tho. While I didn't really like him here, he is a better player than to be put on waivers and bought out.. I hope he finds the right team.. As for the Ward/Walker thing, these guys are professionals and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a locker room joke.. Welcome back Ward!

GO CANES!