The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I think our next move should be Babchuk for a good defensive prospect. Aaron Ward won't be here forever, so we'll need some young prospects who can play in juniors or the AHL for the next year, then make the step to the NHL.

Does anyone know how to get to the Bruins' message boards? I want to see what they are saying about this.

I just did a quick google search and found a couple.. the one on HF boards has a long list of replies. I won't post the link... but the initial reaction was "What the Heck??" then they tried to wonder where Eaves would fit in, then noticed Eaves was being Waived and realized glumly that it was solely a salary dump to make from for Phil Kessel.. most are very very upset to see Ward go.. and surprisingly several of them feel like Eaves for short sheeted in this deal as much as we do.

I'm only on the 3rd page of responses but most of them hate losing Ward. They also seem to think Chuck Kobasew is gonna be out the door soon, since the 2.5 million drop for AWard is still not enough to pay Phil Kessel.. someone else is headed out too.

Like I said, I'm not posting links.. but google Boston Bruins Forum and you will bring up at least 3 messageboards.

*This just caught my eye.. seems like some of the Boston fans have their eye on Siedenberg (Not a surprise since he's a UFA dman and they just gave up a D man.. but an interesting post nonetheless)

"So, if the cap hit for the buyout is .25

We now have 5.3 MIL in cap space

If we trade Kobasew, we have 7.6 MIL

Is that enough for Kessel and say Seidenberg?

Because if it is.... some sweet dealing here."

Oh please, oh please! Now you're giving me hope. My only question is Eaves and Babs don't make combined what a first liner does and we still need another defenseman. It would seem that we would also have to lose some salary somehow.

what are your thoughts now?? LOL One down and one to go!!

This link is an interview with JR about what Ward's acquisition means for other players.

Some interesting tidbits:

Rutherford said that defenseman Anton Babchuk, who wanted more than the $1 million the Canes offered him this year (he is a restricted free agent with no arbitration rights), will not be back with the team.

Rutherford also said defenseman Frank Kaberle

I'm really happy about the trade to re-acquire Ward. Great move by JR.

Now, the only thing that could make me more optimistic about next season would be if we helped out Boston again by relieving them of Chuck Kobasew for Anton Babchuk and maybe a pick or defensive prospect. From what I hear (and others have said here), Kobasew is on the way out as they have too many forwards and not enough D and still need to cut some salary.

I know that this would result in the Canes going a bit higher than planned with the payroll, as Kobasew makes $2.5 million this season and the one after that, but this guy would be great to have on a line with Staal. They lit it up playing on a line in Lowell during the lockout. Since we're all about reunions on this team, Kobasew would be perfect! He's a RW that can score and he's still in his 20's. He's averaging 20+ goals a season and he might be able to top that with Staal.

Do it, JR!

This http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-seidenberg-babchuk-out' target="_blank">link[/post] is an interview with JR about what Ward's acquisition means for other players.

Some interesting tidbits:

Rutherford said that defenseman Anton Babchuk, who wanted more than the $1 million the Canes offered him this year (he is a restricted free agent with no arbitration rights), will not be back with the team.

Rutherford also said defenseman Frank Kaberle

JR has also said that the babchuck situation will be sorted out one way or another by the beginning of next week.

Where did he say that? Just curious.

edit: Nevermind just saw it. I think we are going to get a top flight forward prospect for Babs. Regardless of the Babs trashing that JR and some here has done, I still think that there are teams who are missing the type of defender he is (Big shot, goal-scoring, pp quarterback) and would consider simply a top prospect as a small price to pay to fill a gap in the team.

I'm really happy about the trade to re-acquire Ward. Great move by JR.

Now, the only thing that could make me more optimistic about next season would be if we helped out Boston again by relieving them of Chuck Kobasew for Anton Babchuk and maybe a pick or defensive prospect. From what I hear (and others have said here), Kobasew is on the way out as they have too many forwards and not enough D and still need to cut some salary.

I know that this would result in the Canes going a bit higher than planned with the payroll, as Kobasew makes $2.5 million this season and the one after that, but this guy would be great to have on a line with Staal. They lit it up playing on a line in Lowell during the lockout. Since we're all about reunions on this team, Kobasew would be perfect! He's a RW that can score and he's still in his 20's. He's averaging 20+ goals a season and he might be able to top that with Staal.

Do it, JR!

Interesting, I didn't know they played on the same line in Lowell. You positive? I just wonder because if they did I think it's also interesting to note that apparently Staal was the playmaker that year (26 goals, 51 assists, 76 points) to the sniper Kobasew (38 goals, 37 assists, 75 points). Though I never really consider him much of a first-liner and I think we are done for the off-season but still, if he played with Staal that whole year it is obvious they played quite well together.

This just got posted on Facebook... another trade? Or just a announcement of the Ward trade? (Or like most things on Facebook, is this 30 minutes late and contains the quotes you guys have already posted.

"11:14 pm nhl_canes: Stay tuned... The Hurricanes are expecting to make a player-related announcement within the next 30 minutes.

nhl_canes: Stay tuned... The Hurricanes are expecting to make a player-related announcement within the next 30 minutes."

My face book says this was posted 39 seconds ago, but you click the link it says 11:14.. I'm going to assume this is the JR interview you guys are quoting, unless they post something else.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=451317' target="_blank">Rutherford on Trade, Future Plans[/post]. At the bottom. Sounds like he wants to have Kabs and Babs in the rearview mirror next week.

Also according to that the D pairings are set.. he doesnt seem to mind the Wallin/Alberts combo.

"Ward is expected to be a fixture alongside the big Finn, who led the team in minutes played per game last season with 24:48. The other pairings will feature a continued partnership between Joe Corvo and Tim Gleason and a third pairing of Niclas Wallin and newcomer Andrew Alberts."

This just got posted on Facebook... another trade? Or just a announcement of the Ward trade? (Or like most things on Facebook, is this 30 minutes late and contains the quotes you guys have already posted.

"11:14 pm nhl_canes: Stay tuned... The Hurricanes are expecting to make a player-related announcement within the next 30 minutes.

nhl_canes: Stay tuned... The Hurricanes are expecting to make a player-related announcement within the next 30 minutes."

My face book says this was posted 39 seconds ago, but you click the link it says 11:14.. I'm going to assume this is the JR interview you guys are quoting, unless they post something else.

I saw that too and got really excited until I realized that it was from 11:14. I don't think it's new news.

A little OT... but they post "fan" updates differently, and later, than "friend" updates. The friend updates come via Twitter, which must be what they update first. They post the fan updates via FB Notes, which is what you copied above. I noticed this and asked them about it, as I was getting double posts for a while. They tweaked something and fixed it within the last day or so.

Interesting, I didn't know they played on the same line in Lowell. You positive? I just wonder because if they did I think it's also interesting to note that apparently Staal was the playmaker that year (26 goals, 51 assists, 76 points) to the sniper Kobasew (38 goals, 37 assists, 75 points). Though I never really consider him much of a first-liner and I think we are done for the off-season but still, if he played with Staal that whole year it is obvious they played quite well together.

Yeah, they definitely played on a line together. I went fishing for an old article and turned up this one from the Carolina-Boston series. http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html[/post]

So, not only did they play on a line together in Lowell, but also the Hurricanes were planning on drafting Kobasew in the first round of the 2001 draft only to have him snagged by Calgary and end up with Igor Knyazev. We see how that worked out!

The last paragraph is interesting.

"When the Canes were building that team (the 2006 Championship team), the Canes were able to bring Mike Commodore over from the Calgary organization to join his former Lowell teammates on the Stanley Cup, but not Kobasew -- as much as they would have liked to add him as well.

"I'm not saying a word," Rowe said, laughing. "I'll leave it at the fact he was a great guy." "

A little OT... but they post "fan" updates differently, and later, than "friend" updates. The friend updates come via Twitter, which must be what they update first. They post the fan updates via FB Notes, which is what you copied above. I noticed this and asked them about it, as I was getting double posts for a while. They tweaked something and fixed it within the last day or so.

Yeah.. i've noticed that with the stuff on FB... last week they were announcing the lunch deals they were doing, but they didn't show up on our news feeds until several hours after the event was over.. needless to say it was a bit confusing.

basically the answer is Eaves, Babs, Stormy, and Tripp Tracy for a good D Man....I think this solves all our problems on so many levels.

Damn..........we were so close to the perfect trade, and JR had to blow it by not sending Tripp and Stormy off to Beantown.

Damn..........we were so close to the perfect trade, and JR had to blow it by not sending Tripp and Stormy off to Beantown.

Stormy has pictures of JR with farm animals and well Tripp is Tripp!!!

I like Tripp and Stormy and don't want to trade them!!!!! :)

It has never been a question of stamina or endurance with Brindamour. If you can somehow support your claim with fact, please go ahead, but I don't think you can. He was the best faceoff man in the NHL last year. #1. He played well in February and March after taking a couple of games off to heal(22 points, +7 in 28 GP while averaging about 18 min per game). He will center the 3rd line this season. I would bet money on it.

Then who would be your 2nd line center? We get good production out of Cullen: Good F/O man, plays on both the pp and pk, scores goals. I'm not saying he can't or won't be traded, but I would be disappointed unless the return was just too good to pass on.

If you look at the past two seasons BEFORE the injury you will notice Brindy slowing down mid season. He has a mid season slump go back and check. The past 2 season the fans around me were guessing who Brindy would turn the puck over too. He lacks stamina and endurance with the minutes he was getting before the coaching change. He is strong at 12 minutes max.

My post was to help identify that we need someone STRONG on the 2nd line. Someone young consistent that would compete with Staal and bring balance to our inconsistent offense. If we TRADED CULLEN like I mentioned it would be paired with another strong player in order to find that 2nd line forward I am suggesting. We need to BUILD around STAAL and right now we are not. Read the post before you comment.

I will bet you money that Brindy will not stay on the 3rd line next season. He may start there but he won't end up there. I don't care about his 2 months of good play. He lost us several games by staying on the 2nd line and averaging 22 min a game. I will say it was great to see him come back into form but we have to face reality. 3 seasons we have questioned his TOI and his struggles. I think having him up and down from 3rd to 4th will work but his minutes have to be below or around 12.

Thought: Brindy will have all summer to rest up that knee. My feeling is he should come back and be good for 20 goals next season. Walker, when healthy, is also capable of scoring 20 goals a year. Both were injured most of last season and their play suffered. But with a little bit of luck if they can stay healthy they will be able to provide some of the scoring we need. Hopefully Jussi will be able to keep up his game. Larose has been on pace for right around 20 goals the past two years. If the cards fall just right, we could dominate next season.

Stormy has pictures of JR with farm animals and well Tripp is Tripp!!!

It was a long and lonely night and I don't care what anybody says, that sheep was pretty.