The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Yeah, they definitely played on a line together. I went fishing for an old article and turned up this one from the Carolina-Boston series. http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/775/story/1518572.html[/post]

So, not only did they play on a line together in Lowell, but also the Hurricanes were planning on drafting Kobasew in the first round of the 2001 draft only to have him snagged by Calgary and end up with Igor Knyazev. We see how that worked out!

The last paragraph is interesting.

"When the Canes were building that team (the 2006 Championship team), the Canes were able to bring Mike Commodore over from the Calgary organization to join his former Lowell teammates on the Stanley Cup, but not Kobasew -- as much as they would have liked to add him as well.

"I'm not saying a word," Rowe said, laughing. "I'll leave it at the fact he was a great guy." "

In light of Boston's foolish signing of Derek Morris, I'll say it again...let's acquire Chuck Kobasew. The Bruins have no cap space to sign Phil Kessel unless they make another trade. This means that Kobasew could likely be had for picks/prospects. Sure, it would take us above our self-imposed budget but that would really give us a dangerous offense. Of course, it's possible that the Bruins don't intend to re-sign Kessel, though it would be an incredibly stupid move on their part. How old is Kessel? 21? He's finally starting to realize his potential (which is sky-high) and it would be incredibly short-sighted for them not to keep him. Mark my words, if they get rid of Kessel, it will be looked back on as one of the dumbest trades in the last 10 years.

In light of Boston's foolish signing of Derek Morris, I'll say it again...let's acquire Chuck Kobasew. The Bruins have no cap space to sign Phil Kessel unless they make another trade. This means that Kobasew could likely be had for picks/prospects. Sure, it would take us above our self-imposed budget but that would really give us a dangerous offense. Of course, it's possible that the Bruins don't intend to re-sign Kessel, though it would be an incredibly stupid move on their part. How old is Kessel? 21? He's finally starting to realize his potential (which is sky-high) and it would be incredibly short-sighted for them not to keep him. Mark my words, if they get rid of Kessel, it will be looked back on as one of the dumbest trades in the last 10 years.

I was wrong about them trading AWard away but Im thinking Boston may stand pat right now till the market opens up a bit more as we get closer to camps. I could be wrong again but if Kessel is the future (which Chiarelli has said he is and will match an offer sheet), Patrice Bergeron ($4.75) might be the piece that could help them. His contract is high $ and he's to them like Justin Williams was to us. Huge potential, too many injuries and may need a change of scenery and a fresh start. His concussion history scares me a bit (like Simon Gange) and probably some other GM's as well.

I wont say Kobasew @ $2.3 cant be had and the above reasons make a lot of sense but I think Boston needs to unload a bigger contract than his, they have a lot of money tied up in their defense.

Edit: the more I look at their roster, a potential trade with them makes more and more sense. If they would take Babchuk and sign him for a reasonable raise over his QO, it would fill a void for them on defense. They have Boychuk (Johnny Boychuk) slotted in as their last dman and its not clear if he's ready to make the jump yet. With only $1.3 left for them to sign Kessel which wont happen at that price, a forward will need to be moved.

I was wrong about them trading AWard away but Im thinking Boston may stand pat right now till the market opens up a bit more as we get closer to camps. I could be wrong again but if Kessel is the future (which Chiarelli has said he is and will match an offer sheet), Patrice Bergeron might be the piece that could help them. His contract is high $ and he's to them like Justin Williams was to us. Huge potential, too many injuries and may need a change of scenery and a fresh start. His concussion history scares me a bit (like Simon Gange) and probably some other GM's as well.

I wont say Kobasew cant be had and the above reasons make a lot of sense but I think Boston needs to unload a bigger contract than his.

Since I was just posting some salary numbers in the Ruutu thread, I happen to have the page open.. Boston is looking at a cap hit of 60.4 million. According to nhlnumber.com they still have cap space of 0.6 million, but isn't 60 well above the cap? It says they have a bonus cushion of 4 million so maybe that's why. Others understand the Cap stuff way better then I do. NHLNumbers includes the 1.4 million for Eaves, but not yet updated for the Morris signing, so now its more like 63 million.

Kessel was making 2.2 million last year.. I assume from his production he is looking for a big raise? I think TSA may be right.. if they drop Kobasew at 2.5 million a year, that may not be enough to pay Kessel. Bergeron is making 5 million a year so that's a bigger chunk gone.

I wouldn't forget about Chicago either, at 58 million cap hit, they are still tiptoeing the line too... they could have to move someone as well.

We are so close to our internal budget though I'm not sure we will pull the trigger again... We may stand pat with what we've got now.

It was a long and lonely night and I don't care what anybody says, that sheep was pretty.

and they were being a tease!!

Since I was just posting some salary numbers in the Ruutu thread, I happen to have the page open.. Boston is looking at a cap hit of 60.4 million. According to nhlnumber.com they still have cap space of 0.6 million, but isn't 60 well above the cap? It says they have a bonus cushion of 4 million so maybe that's why. Others understand the Cap stuff way better then I do. NHLNumbers includes the 1.4 million for Eaves, but not yet updated for the Morris signing, so now its more like 63 million.

Kessel was making 2.2 million last year.. I assume from his production he is looking for a big raise? I think TSA may be right.. if they drop Kobasew at 2.5 million a year, that may not be enough to pay Kessel. Bergeron is making 5 million a year so that's a bigger chunk gone.

I wouldn't forget about Chicago either, at 58 million cap hit, they are still tiptoeing the line too... they could have to move someone as well.

Bruin's cap hit is $55,495,833, this comes right off their site. The AWard trade just doesnt seem complete to me. Boston unloaded his last contract year salary to upgrade their defense somewhat, but at a higher cost. They took on Eaves's contract but will buy him out still assuming some financial responsibility. We got the veteran dman we needed at a reasonable cost (based on the current market) so whats still in it for Boston to make it more fair? I highly doubt JR would consider Bergeron at his contract price and Boston needs to restock their farm. Kobasew does make some sense but a future trade involving Boston to complete the deal makes more sense.

We are so close to our internal budget though I'm not sure we will pull the trigger again... We may stand pat with what we've got now.

I think this is more likely too unless the "perfect deal" comes up for JR. But I wouldnt rule out a deal later on with Boston to even up the trade for both sides.

I'll say about Kobasew is that we just DONT need him. Im not sure about his contract, but the only way I can really think its a good idea to bring him is if his contract is expiring. Kobasew is solid, and if he was on a one year contract I say YES, try him out with Staal. But the fact is, we dont need another forward at this time, and I dont think Kobasew is the answer to the 1st line winger we need with Staal. I say why burden ourselves with that contract and just wait till next summer until we can get a real 1st line calibre winger like Frolov. And remember, Kobasew excelled in the playoffs playing on the shutdown line with the Bruins. He played on a 3rd line made of Axelson-Bergeron-Kobasew. 3 very good defensive forwards. I say we save our money and go after a real scoring winger.

I'll say about Kobasew is that we just DONT need him. Im not sure about his contract, but the only way I can really think its a good idea to bring him is if his contract is expiring. Kobasew is solid, and if he was on a one year contract I say YES, try him out with Staal. But the fact is, we dont need another forward at this time, and I dont think Kobasew is the answer to the 1st line winger we need with Staal. I say why burden ourselves with that contract and just wait till next summer until we can get a real 1st line calibre winger like Frolov. And remember, Kobasew excelled in the playoffs playing on the shutdown line with the Bruins. He played on a 3rd line made of Axelson-Bergeron-Kobasew. 3 very good defensive forwards. I say we save our money and go after a real scoring winger.

Also a good point.

his contract doesn't look bad, two years at an average of $2.3mil. I don't follow him enough to know if that is a good deal or bad.

Bruin's cap hit is $55,495,833, this comes right off their site. The AWard trade just doesnt seem complete to me. Boston unloaded his last contract year salary to upgrade their defense somewhat, but at a higher cost. They took on Eaves's contract but will buy him out still assuming some $responsiblitiy. We got the veteran dman at a reasonable cost (based on the current market) so whats still in it for Boston to make it more fair? I highly doubt JR would consider Bergeron at his contract price and Boston needs to restock their farm. Kobasew does make some sense but a future trade involving Boston to complete the deal makes more sense.

I think this is more likely too unless the "perfect deal" comes up for JR. But I wouldnt rule out a deal later on with Boston to even up the trade for both sides.

I think they would be very lucky to find anyone at all that would take Bergeron from them. He is literally one hit from his career ending, remember earlier in the season he himself went in for a hit on Seids (I think it was Seidenberg) and knocked himself out... Getting yet another concussion. That risk at $4.75 million a year is a risk I doubt anyone would want to take but hey... dumber trades have happened. I'd really like to have Kobasew, based on his stats playing with Staal in Lowell he was definitely the sniper to the play-making Staal. With Ruutu in there banging and creating space it could be a dangerous line. Not to mention that would put our second line as Whitney-Cullen-Cole which sounds pretty dangerous itself. If we were going to trade for any potential winger for Staal I would strongly think that JR would go his usual safe route and pick up someone exactly like Kobasew who has already played with Staal and shown great chemistry rather than taking the chance on another player. Plus Boston really needs to clear up cap space and I have seen many places that they are shopping Kobasew as they have far too many great wingers making $2-4 million. Not to mention I do not think picking him up would break the bank, the only negative would be us losing our offensive spot for Boychuk/Sutter/Bowman.

For any other player like this I'd agree with this but the only thing I think that makes this trade more likely and more plausible is that he already had a great year playing on Staal's wing and Lowell. You know JR, if he was going to pick up any potential first line winger to play next to Staal for this year (probably unlikely but JR works in mysterious ways) that he would go with someone who has already shown this type of chemistry with him. He did the same thing bringing Cole back (which was good in the reg season but turned out pretty lackluster in the playoffs). Plus the extra $2.5 million wouldn't break the bank. If we saw this trade happen I think it would most likely be after training camp if it turns out that Boychuk/Bowman look like they would be better off with another year on the Rats. I think it's also noteworthy that like you said... He played on the 3rd line in Boston with Axelsson and Bergeron, on a shutdown line, yet still managed 3 goals and 3 assists in 11 games. I remember everyone saying his line was their best line against us in the first couple games of the Boston series.

Although if this didn't happen and we actually did get Frolov next year I would be extremely happy as well.

Kobasew can score and would give us more versatility with the forward line combos. If you think past this upcoming season, Kobasew does fit in well if he was ever the player aquired. With veteran contracts coming to an end next off season, he would slot in easily without skipping a beat, just the way JR likes it.

He's also just starting to hit his stride at 27 and IMO will likely be a consistent 20-25 goal scorer.

Kobasew can score and would give us more versatility with the forward line combos. If you think past this upcoming season, Kobasew does fit in well if he was ever the player aquired. With veteran contracts coming to an end next off season, he would slot in easily without skipping a beat, just the way JR likes it.

He's also just starting to hit his stride at 27 and IMO will likely be a consistent 20-25 goal scorer.

so you think he is worth Babs rights, Kabs (if they will take him and buy him out), and a prospect/pick?

so you think he is worth Babs rights, Kabs (if they will take him and buy him out), and a prospect/pick?

If they make that trade, I think we need to have JR bronzed and displayed at the south entrance by the Eye. A trade could happen, but I don't think we could get them to buy out another one of our players. Babs is a posibility and a pick or prospect could work, but remember that we can't give Kabs away for free.

Bruin's cap hit is $55,495,833, this comes right off their site. The AWard trade just doesnt seem complete to me. Boston unloaded his last contract year salary to upgrade their defense somewhat, but at a higher cost. They took on Eaves's contract but will buy him out still assuming some financial responsibility. We got the veteran dman we needed at a reasonable cost (based on the current market) so whats still in it for Boston to make it more fair? I highly doubt JR would consider Bergeron at his contract price and Boston needs to restock their farm. Kobasew does make some sense but a future trade involving Boston to complete the deal makes more sense.

I hope you are right.

It would be nice if we could trade to get Blackstrom from the Capitals.

I'd jump on that but Chiarrelli would get fired if he took that. :lol:

NHLnumbers.com often has guys on 2 way contracts showing up in the total. That's why they are usually off on the numbers. For instance, they have Boychuk counting against our cap space, whereas in all probability, he will be spending all but a few games in Albany, and someone cheaper will be taking up that roster spot. I don't think teams have to submit an official cap-hit roster until right before the start of the season, so NHLnumbers.com is probably just guessing on a lot of teams.

We don't need Kobasew right now. We already has a plenty players who can play on top 6 without problems. Chuck is not upgrade on this players, so i'll say pass. But next season he's UFA, i think, and we will have Whitney, Cullen, Walker gone, so i think JR will try to get him.

I still think JR goes after Frolov. JR has shown interest in him before and he's unrestricted next year.

Agreed. If Frolov doesn't re-sign in Los Angeles, I fully expect that he'll be a Hurricane sometime in the next calender year. Rutherford wanted to acquire him as part of the Jack Johnson deal, as well as straight-up for Erik Cole before he was denied by the Kings' general manager both times.

Something I noticed is that, with the structure of many of the contracts, the 'Canes are actually not that far from the cap. A good chunk of this is due to Staal's contract (cap hit is 2.25 over salary), but there are many players in a similar situation: Ruutu (+.8), Brind'Amour (+.6), Gleason and Alberts (+.25 each), Kosopoulos (+.217), Jokinen and LaRose (+0.2 each), Cole (+.1), Cullen (+.075) and Samsonov (+.033).

There are only a couple of players in the reverse situation: Corvo (-.125) and Cam (-.833). The net of all that is that the cap hit is more than 4 million over what the salary is.

If I did my math right (and there's certainly no guarantee of that), counting just the core 20 players and adjusted for Kaberle's buyout, there is just over 3.3 cap space available.

That would seem to limit the options, especially when considering the discussion a while back regarding revenue-sharing implications of the cap hit (which I admit I'm still not all that clear on).

Interestingly (well, if you find such things interesting, I guess) and probably not coincidentally, next year - when the cap goes down - will be somewhat reversed. Of the contracts already on the books, only two players will have higher cap hits than salaries: Staal (+.75) and Brind'Amour (+.6). Many will be lower: Pitkinen (-.5), Samsonov (-.267), Gleason and Alberts (-.25 each), Ruutu, Jokinan and LaRose (-.2 each), Cole (-.1), and Kostopoulos (-.033). While not as dramatic a difference (cap of .65 less than salary), it would seem to be advantageous when the cap goes down, especially if the internal salary doesn't need to go down as much. (And when there will be the re-signing of Cam to consider.)

Something I noticed is that, with the structure of many of the contracts, the 'Canes are actually not that far from the cap. A good chunk of this is due to Staal's contract (cap hit is 2.25 over salary), but there are many players in a similar situation: Ruutu (+.8), Brind'Amour (+.6), Gleason and Alberts (+.25 each), Kosopoulos (+.217), Jokinen and LaRose (+0.2 each), Cole (+.1), Cullen (+.075) and Samsonov (+.033).

There are only a couple of players in the reverse situation: Corvo (-.125) and Cam (-.833). The net of all that is that the cap hit is more than 4 million over what the salary is.

If I did my math right (and there's certainly no guarantee of that), counting just the core 20 players and adjusted for Kaberle's buyout, there is just over 3.3 cap space available.

That would seem to limit the options, especially when considering the discussion a while back regarding revenue-sharing implications of the cap hit (which I admit I'm still not all that clear on).

Interestingly (well, if you find such things interesting, I guess) and probably not coincidentally, next year - when the cap goes down - will be somewhat reversed. Of the contracts already on the books, only two players will have higher cap hits than salaries: Staal (+.75) and Brind'Amour (+.6). Many will be lower: Pitkinen (-.5), Samsonov (-.267), Gleason and Alberts (-.25 each), Ruutu, Jokinan and LaRose (-.2 each), Cole (-.1), and Kostopoulos (-.033). While not as dramatic a difference (cap of .65 less than salary), it would seem to be advantageous when the cap goes down, especially if the internal salary doesn't need to go down as much. (And when there will be the re-signing of Cam to consider.)

PK isn't going to let JR spend up to the cap anyway. There is a self imposed limit of about 50 mil.

I did the same thing today too, out of curiosity with all of our backloaded contracts. I also did this with Kaberle's contract being bought out (1 million against us with the Hamilton buyout too), and just counting our 20 players with 1-way deals. The numbers I came out with were 49.725 salary and 53.742 cap hit. That leaves us with 275k of salary before our self imposed 50 mil budget and 3.058 mil before we hit the NHL's salary cap of 56.8.