The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Did anyone ever get the exact cap hit we have to be under in order to qualify for revenue sharing? I have 53 in my mind, but I could be wrong. If so, looks like more salary shedding might be done after the Kaberle buyout.

Agreed. If Frolov doesn't re-sign in Los Angeles, I fully expect that he'll be a Hurricane sometime in the next calender year. Rutherford wanted to acquire him as part of the Jack Johnson deal, as well as straight-up for Erik Cole before he was denied by the Kings' general manager both times.

i don't see that happening, from this point forward it will most likely be addition by subtraction. we will have to lose payroll to take on payroll.

i don't see that happening, from this point forward it will most likely be addition by subtraction. we will have to lose payroll to take on payroll.

I think he was talking about for next season. We'll have several contracts ending then.

We will be loosing salary, hopefully keeping those who are worth keeping, and replacing overpaid players with Boychuk, Bowman and McBain (hopefully). This will keep the roster spots about even, and free up room to hopefully make the signing. Then of course you have to take into account the cap dropping and salaries going up. I guess we'd have to write out a lineup for the 10-11 season and see where the salaries are at.

We will be loosing salary, hopefully keeping those who are worth keeping, and replacing overpaid players with Boychuk, Bowman and McBain (hopefully). This will keep the roster spots about even, and free up room to hopefully make the signing. Then of course you have to take into account the cap dropping and salaries going up. I guess we'd have to write out a lineup for the 10-11 season and see where the salaries are at.

Next season, we currently have about $37 million committed to twelve forwards and four defensemen. With the current depth chart on the website as a template, here are the potential holes for the '10-'11 season:

??? / Staal / Cole

Samsonov / ??? / Ruutu

LaRose / Jokinen / ???

??? / Brind'Amour / Kostopoulos

-Bowman, Boychuk, Dwyer, Sutter

Gleason / ???

Pitkanen / ???

??? / Alberts

-McBain

Ward would need to be first priority, hopefully his contract will be taken care of this offseason. After that, I would expect to see Cullen re-signed to center the second-line. On defense, set Gleason and Pitkanen as the top-pair. Re-sign Ward to an affordable contract, if he still wants to play, to anchor the second-pair with either Carson or McBain. Whichever doesn't earn a spot on the second-pair can fill out the third-pair beside Alberts. With those moves made, unless he over-pays for somebody, Rutherford should still have enough room to make a move for Frolov to fill out that spot on the top-line.

I did the same thing today too, out of curiosity with all of our backloaded contracts. I also did this with Kaberle's contract being bought out (1 million against us with the Hamilton buyout too), and just counting our 20 players with 1-way deals. The numbers I came out with were 49.725 salary and 53.742 cap hit. That leaves us with 275k of salary before our self imposed 50 mil budget and 3.058 mil before we hit the NHL's salary cap of 56.8.
Ah, well I said I only looked at the 20 players - meaning I completely forgot to include Hamilton's buyout. ;) So it's even less, as you've put here.

Ah, well I said I only looked at the 20 players - meaning I completely forgot to include Hamilton's buyout. ;) So it's even less, as you've put here.

don't forget tanabe's buyout.

I do really think that this team would be elite with a first line winger added. That said, it kind of looks like JR may be mostly done. He will have to do something with Babchuk but there is not enough salary with Babchuk to trade for a 1st line winger. Thus JR will trade Babs for a prospect, and be done with it for a while.

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see how we get the cap room and money for a top winger. Moving Brind'Amour would do it, but it is hard to see how that would work for many reasons.

This is a good team as structured. I am very happy with the team as is. Just would love to see our top line a little better. JR certainly does surprise, but aquiring a top line winger would be a shocker at this point.

don't forget tanabe's buyout.
Was he ever officially bought out? I know there were issues with doing that, because of the injury. I thought they worked it out so they could buy him out, but I'm not sure. nhlnumbers has never changed their page to reflect a buyout, so I was thinking maybe I remembered wrong.

Checking on-line, I found this (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html[/post]):

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday that the team had reached a settlement with the defenseman that will pay the former first-round draft pick $850,000 over the next three years.

So it looks like maybe it wasn't really officially a buy-out, so maybe the cap hit didn't change from his original contract?

Getting back now to what I'd do at this point as GM, I stand pat but keep my eye out for any "deals I can't refuse". I've done a good job of making this team tougher and better defensively without spending a ton of money. I unloaded Eaves, who I like, but really hadn't worked his way into a top 9 slot like I expected when we did the contract. Kostopolous and Alberts give us the toughness we need at the right price.

I'm going to see now what the youngsters can do and maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle with a kid like Boychuk who has great hands and should be a good playmaker. It's possible that he could be the winger I want (and he's cheap). Maybe at the trade deadline I can make a trade or two and bring in some insurance for a playoff run (again cheap since I'm only paying a small amount of the season and I don't even have to pay them in the playoffs).

Now, back to reality. Did JR buy out Kabs? After we resigned Ruutu, don't we fall into that 48 hour deal to finalize any buyouts?

Getting back now to what I'd do at this point as GM, I stand pat but keep my eye out for any "deals I can't refuse". I've done a good job of making this team tougher and better defensively without spending a ton of money. I unloaded Eaves, who I like, but really hadn't worked his way into a top 9 slot like I expected when we did the contract. Kostopolous and Alberts give us the toughness we need at the right price.

I'm going to see now what the youngsters can do and maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle with a kid like Boychuk who has great hands and should be a good playmaker. It's possible that he could be the winger I want (and he's cheap). Maybe at the trade deadline I can make a trade or two and bring in some insurance for a playoff run (again cheap since I'm only paying a small amount of the season and I don't even have to pay them in the playoffs).

Sounds like a plan!

Now, back to reality. Did JR buy out Kabs? After we resigned Ruutu, don't we fall into that 48 hour deal to finalize any buyouts?

Hmm...at first I was confused by this...but JR signed Ruutu Thursday...48 hours gives him until Monday AM, assuming they don't count weekends. Looks like signing Ruutu was the trigger for completing the Ward deal so they could buy out Kabs.

According to what I've read, the CBA says the 48-hour buyout period begins on the third day after the arbitration ruling/settlement.

Edited to add - Here's a copy/paste from the CBA that I saw posted on another board:

CBA_Buyout.gif

Was he ever officially bought out? I know there were issues with doing that, because of the injury. I thought they worked it out so they could buy him out, but I'm not sure. nhlnumbers has never changed their page to reflect a buyout, so I was thinking maybe I remembered wrong.

Checking on-line, I found this (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1259569.html[/post]):

So it looks like maybe it wasn't really officially a buy-out, so maybe the cap hit didn't change from his original contract?

it was a buyout, the only way you can do that. check hockeybuzz.com and look at cap central for the canes, it show's tanabe and hams.

According to what I've read, the CBA says the 48-hour buyout period begins on the third day after the arbitration ruling/settlement.

Edited to add - Here's a copy/paste from the CBA that I saw posted on another board:

CBA_Buyout.gif

Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't read the fine print about the 3 days. Wouldn't it have been easier if it said 5 days from the beginning?

it was a buyout, the only way you can do that. check hockeybuzz.com and look at cap central for the canes, it show's tanabe and hams.
But wouldn't a buyout have required 300k each, for two years, as hockeybuzz indicates? That doesn't sound like what they did, since they gave him 850k spread over three years.

Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't read the fine print about the 3 days. Wouldn't it have been easier if it said 5 days from the beginning?

That's what I was thinking at first, but the buyout period begins 3 days after concluding the RFA period, and lasts for 48 hours. So since Ruutu signed Thursday, the buyout period starts Monday or Wednesday, depending on whether they count weekend days. I think. :unsure:

But wouldn't a buyout have required 300k each, for two years, as hockeybuzz indicates? That doesn't sound like what they did, since they gave him 850k spread over three years.

I'm pretty sure you're right. The union filed a grievance when we went to buy him out since he was claiming injury, and you can't buy out an injured player, but they dropped it when we settled. I believe he was due $750k if it were a regular buyout, so we threw him an extra 100k to end it. But I could be misremembering that part of it. The reason it shows on hockeybuzz (and BTW it is not on nhlnumbers any more) is that they don't have a category for what happened with this case.

EDIT: I misremembered. I actually looked it up...he was due $900k, and the buyout would have been $600k, so we settled for $50k less than his salary. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1118129.html' target="_blank">See here for numbers.[/post]

I see two patterns for players that we aquire....

1) Recycling old 'Canes players

2) Bringing in those who Walker has kicked their 'butts'

If my pattern theories are correct, Kobasew will be on this team in the near future thanks to pattern number two....

On a serious note - Kobasew would be a great fit for this team. Staal knows him as does the organization. But, if it comes down to acquiring Kobasew or Frolov next off season, Frolov has to be the obvious choice.

From HockeyBuzz.com:

"According to the Tampa Tribune the Bolts are working on a buyout for Vinny Prospal..." I know some people on this board had mentioned getting him before. Anyone know why they would get rid of him? Was he that bad last year?

From HockeyBuzz.com:

"According to the Tampa Tribune the Bolts are working on a buyout for Vinny Prospal..." I know some people on this board had mentioned getting him before. Anyone know why they would get rid of him? Was he that bad last year?

that could be real interesting, he is currently due $3.5mil for the next three season so he just might be open to $1-1.5mil from us.

From HockeyBuzz.com:

Its Tampa. There's no rhyme or reason to the things they do.

If we could get him for cheap, I'd give it a try with him. He worked well with Lecavalier and St Louis, so its not like he doesn't know how to play alongside superstars.

From HockeyBuzz.com:

Well for starters, he was a minus 20 last year. And less than 20 goals... thats not worth 3.5 mil locked in for the next 3 years. Lol that sounds familiar.

Anyway, it would be foolish to pick him up off waivers. That cap hit is too high for him. He would have to be bought out by Tampa and then signed by another team at a much lower rate as a UFA.

Well for starters, he was a minus 20 last year. And less than 20 goals... thats not worth 3.5 mil locked in for the next 3 years. Lol that sounds familiar.

Anyway, it would be foolish to pick him up off waivers. That cap hit is too high for him. He would have to be bought out by Tampa and then signed by another team at a much lower rate as a UFA.

Prospal had an off year with only 19 goals. But he was skating for Tampa who did have a few problems. TB traded him to Philly the year before so it sounds like he isn

Prospal had an off year with only 19 goals. But he was skating for Tampa who did have a few problems. TB traded him to Philly the year before so it sounds like he isn

djharley is doing his happy dance!!

Hurricanes Buy Out Frantisek Kaberle

Defenseman played four seasons with Carolina

Ken Preston Carolina Hurricanes

Jul 28, 2009, 1:27 PM EDT

Kaberle

RALEIGH, NC