The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

We should keep in mind that, based on what is being said currently in the hockey media, the salary cap will likely not be increasing for the next two years and may even decrease a little. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with teams who spent to the limit this year and have RFA's and UFA's to try and re-sign this summer.

Of course your right about the cap. KHL looks like it will continue to suck away some Euro talent and

that could keep player prices up a little.

We should keep in mind that, based on what is being said currently in the hockey media, the salary cap will likely not be increasing for the next two years and may even decrease a little. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with teams who spent to the limit this year and have RFA's and UFA's to try and re-sign this summer.

Of course your right about the cap. KHL looks like it will continue to suck away some Euro talent and

that could keep player prices up a little.

I dont know, sounds like most around here are fine with re-signing Cole as long as its at a reasonable price. And I agree, based on the exit interview Paul posted, it sounds like he'll be willing to work out some kind of compromise with the money. Maybe some $ incentives would be added to any new contract.

While I agree an incentive laden contract would be a win-win for both the team and Cole, didn't the 'new' CBA really place a lot of restrictions on the type of incentives and limits to the type of player they can be offered to? Does anybody know any specifcs on incentive clauses in the new NHL?

I'm not sure of the exact restrictions, but Cole is not eligible for an incentive-laden contract.

I think it has to do with age. Maybe over 35 and signing a one year deal? I remember something like that when Shanahan signed with the Rangers.

If that's the case(and Im definately not positive), Cole wouldnt qualify.

And because I got curious, I asked the powers that be about bonuses and I was told that any bonus, be it a signing, deferred or performance bonus does count against the cap to avoid loop holes for teams.

And because I got curious, I asked the powers that be about bonuses and I was told that any bonus, be it a signing, deferred or performance bonus does count against the cap to avoid loop holes for teams.

Hey, wait a minute, you get to ask the powers that be? You?? And they respond??? :huh:

:P

Hey, wait a minute, you get to ask the powers that be? You?? And they respond??? :huh:

:P

You can ask them too, just click their emails from the main site ;):lol:

Just for chasing wild hares... what do you guys think about Mark Recchi coming back? He seemed to love it here, despite bolting back to pittsburgh to get whatever they promised him (which I'm sure did not include trades to Anaheim, Atlanta, Tampa and then Boston). Yeah he's old, like 41...But he seems to be much fresher for a guy in his 21st season compared to Francis and Wesley at the ends of their careers and maybe compared to Roddy now. He had 13 goals and 32 assists in 62 games with TB before he was traded to Boston. He then picked it up to 10 goals and 6 assists in 18 games with Boston, nearly a point a game.

Yeah he's probably not the most attractive free agent out there, but he's played with us before.. he knows most of the staff (He played for Lavi) and some of the players, Staal, Cole, Ward, Whitney etc who were there in 06. He obviously respects the franchise (returning here for ring ceremonies and parades and parties after he had resigned with the Pens and says good things about us when we play against him). Plus his salary last year was only 1.50 M.

He's listed as a third line RW for Boston, which would probably be 2nd line for us... so maybe if we bump whitney or ruutu up to the first line.. something like this

Cole - Staal - Ruutu

Whitney - Jokinen - Recchi

Walker - Cullen - Samsonov

LaRose - Brindamour - Eaves

Just a thought, plus we know how JR loves recycling... But do you think he will A) Retire, B ) resign with Boston or C) look elsewhere as a UFA?

Actually, most of our prospects has played in the AHL. And Boychuk nearly nailed a spot this past season.

Who are you to say the rookies won't be able to score a collective 65 goals this coming year? Boychuk has a lot of potential as a pure goalscorer. Bowman also has put up great numbers in Spokane. You don't know how they'll turn out. I want us to keep LaRose, Jokinen, and Ruutu, but that's probably not possible if we don't want to overpay. A smart idea is replace those we don't resign (whether we can't agree on a contract salary or they get a better offer elsewhere) with players we have in Albany, then with the salary we have freed up now, go after someone that can keep some pressure off Staal.

EDIT: We have enough defensemen in Albany who are NHL ready. Rodney has basically been assured a spot this coming season, Carson, Borer, and Conboy all have seen some NHL games. We have plenty of defensemen who will make the NHL roster. We don't need anyone else on D.

Boychuk doesn't really get get credit for the AHL, he only played there since March 10th. The defense has AHL experience I'm not questioning that and if there is space I'm all for giving one or two of them a shot at the team. What I'm questioning is whole sale replacing the forwards with the younger guys who have little to none pro experience. And I'm all for giving them a shot, but I don't think the team can make a wholesale change and youth-movement and expect to make the playoffs. Having space for one of the forwards, maybe two if you include Sutter, makes sense if the team resigns some of the crew of LaRose, Jokinen and Rutuu, but the original post said to let all of them go, and you just can't realistically expect to replace the production of LaRose and Ruutu with Sutter, Boychuk, and Bowman.

The big problem here is the team needs more production from its forwards period if it is going to let in as many goals defensively as it did. And so even with the addition of a first line player with Staal you could end up with less offensive production because your scoring depth falls off. The only easy solution to the problem for next year is for PK to open the pocketbook but that isn't going to happen. So the team is going to have to make the decision of looking for another topflight forward or look to beat teams with good depth. You need to do the first to have a realistic shot at the finals but if the goal is to make the playoffs and grind out a series win or two the second formula can work.

Just for chasing wild hares... what do you guys think about Mark Recchi coming back? He seemed to love it here, despite bolting back to pittsburgh to get whatever they promised him (which I'm sure did not include trades to Anaheim, Atlanta, Tampa and then Boston). Yeah he's old, like 41...But he seems to be much fresher for a guy in his 21st season compared to Francis and Wesley at the ends of their careers and maybe compared to Roddy now. He had 13 goals and 32 assists in 62 games with TB before he was traded to Boston. He then picked it up to 10 goals and 6 assists in 18 games with Boston, nearly a point a game.

While I like the Wrecking Ball, I don't want to see anybody signed at that age. Rascal Scooters may be the next sponsor of the Canes if we start signing any more "mature" players.

How about we get younger?

Realistically, barring any miracles like Kabs to the KHL, I'm affraid we are a year away from seeing J.R. be able to make the big signing to get Staal that winger we all crave and our shut down D-man. We have several big contracts coming off the books next year (you know, the ones with the NTC's). J.R. is one of the more creative GM's out there so he may be able to pull something off but even that is questionable with the economy.

What is probably going to happen is that we will see a lot of what we saw this year with a couple of Rats sprinkled in. Cam gets locked up. Babs is a cheaper sign than Seids so he probably stays. We will see a Rat take Seids spot. With another years experience, our D will probably be better at their respective ages (remember, we have some younger D-men that take a while to develop). The front line is a little trickier. We have Sutter, Bowman, and Boychuk that are still probably a year away and that would work perfectly with the expiring contracts. You don't want to bring them in too early and burn up the entry deals with them getting a few minutes a game or sitting in the presser. I think you'll see LaRose (3 yr), Ruutu (3 yr), and Jokinen (1 yr) get deals. Cole may get a 2 yr deal if it is reasonable. Bayda is probably gone with Conboy having a 1 way deal. That would fill the roster spots if Cole resigned a bargain deal (big if).

That product on the ice produced a team that went to the ECF's, so there is some merit to keeping it as is. I'd like to see the top line winger and shut down D-man added, but J.R. is playing with real money and all we have on this forum is Monopoly money. Let's hope J.R. can pull off something and get us one of those two pieces we all crave.

While I like the Wrecking Ball, I don't want to see anybody signed at that age. Rascal Scooters may be the next sponsor of the Canes if we start signing any more "mature" players.

How about we get younger?

Realistically, barring any miracles like Kabs to the KHL, I'm affraid we are a year away from seeing J.R. be able to make the big signing to get Staal that winger we all crave and our shut down D-man. We have several big contracts coming off the books next year (you know, the ones with the NTC's). J.R. is one of the more creative GM's out there so he may be able to pull something off but even that is questionable with the economy.

What is probably going to happen is that we will see a lot of what we saw this year with a couple of Rats sprinkled in. Cam gets locked up. Babs is a cheaper sign than Seids so he probably stays. We will see a Rat take Seids spot. With another years experience, our D will probably be better at their respective ages (remember, we have some younger D-men that take a while to develop). The front line is a little trickier. We have Sutter, Bowman, and Boychuk that are still probably a year away and that would work perfectly with the expiring contracts. You don't want to bring them in too early and burn up the entry deals with them getting a few minutes a game or sitting in the presser. I think you'll see LaRose (3 yr), Ruutu (3 yr), and Jokinen (1 yr) get deals. Cole may get a 2 yr deal if it is reasonable. Bayda is probably gone with Conboy having a 1 way deal. That would fill the roster spots if Cole resigned a bargain deal (big if).

That product on the ice produced a team that went to the ECF's, so there is some merit to keeping it as is. I'd like to see the top line winger and shut down D-man added, but J.R. is playing with real money and all we have on this forum is Monopoly money. Let's hope J.R. can pull off something and get us one of those two pieces we all crave.

Good post, I agree with what you're saying here. I think realistically the only outside player that we add would be a defenseman, if Kaberle left for the KHL and Seids walked. That'd leave us 3.4 mil to spend on a defenseman. Next year, like you said, when we have a lot of contracts expiring, I would expect a top winger to be brought in.

i think everyone agrees on the same points. 1-we need a shut down d man, 2- Staal needs help, 3- we have several older guys near the end of their careers, 4- we need some youth. i think over the next 2-3 seasons these will take care of themselves as contracts expire and our young talent comes up. the only area i see being a problem is the shut down d man.

Do we not think Gleason is going to be a future shut down D-man? The guy is signed here for about 3 more years, and he is only 26. He did a great job this season, and he did very well for his first run in the playoffs. If you don't think he is shutdown yet, I am sure he will develop into one by the time we have the money to afford going after someone that we already qualify as a shut-down guy.

I love Timmy Gleason, and he is really going to be a shutdown guy in the next couple years. He is ALMOST there. Right now, in an ideal world, Corvo-Gleason pairing would be PERFECT as a SECOND PAIR. In an ideal world, that is a great second pair. Gleason is a future first pair guy, but Corvo never really has been a first pair guy. He scored so many points with us last year, while he was on the second pair where he could be more offensive.

Realistically, we are probably not going to improve very much this coming year. Its going to be one of those off-seasons where we sign who we expect to sign, but no one more. Larose is back, Ruutu is back, Jokinen is back, Cole is probably back, Babchuk is probably back.

If Seidenberg goes, we will not see a replacement with some awesome shutdown defender, or even a decent stay at home like Wallin. Its clear if Seids goes, we will replace him with one of the Rats who are all very solid. Carson, Rodney or Borer will be there. On forward, its going to look very similar. I think if we can do anything, perhaps package Samsonov with someone for anything. Realistically, nothing happens. However, if possible id love to see Jokinen on a wing spot rather than down the middle.

I can always dream though, and I dream we get something good on the wing for Staal, and I dream we have the depth to roll Samsonov - Jokinen - Ruutu as a 3rd line. That would be killer. I also dream we can keep Whitney - Cullen - Larose together. That would mean Cole and Staal would play with some awesome winger!! The Dream:

Scoring winger (Ovechkin) - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Cullen - Larose

Samsonov - Jokinen - Ruutu

Eaves - Brindy - Walker

As for defence, well as much as Corvo - Gleason is not the ideal pair at the top, we wont really have cap space to go out and get someone that we need to fill in the first pair. Next year when we have more room we can get someone, and then promote Pitkanen to play with them and then keep Gleason as the 2nd pair guy that can move to the top if necassary. For now, the defence will probably look like:

Gleason - Corvo

Pitkanen - Babchuk (or any of the bottom 3)

Wallin - Rats (Carson, Borer, Rodney)

Dont ask me why, but I want Gerber to back up Wardo...I have no clue.

I have always loved Cole, but lets just tell it like it is...The guy put up 19 assists and 2 goals in 35 games and was a -2. He had 8 of those assists in two blowout wins against Tampa and the Islanders. That means he had 11 assists and 2 goals in the other 33 games he played here. He had no points in the NJD series, and 2 in the BOS series. As the 'Canes went down the stretch, Cole got worse. In our final 27 games, Cole had a whopping 10 assists and 0 goals, 4 of those assists coming in the Islanders rout. The guy is awesome and I have always been a fan (I have a Cole jersey for goodness sake) but if we are going to be honest with ourselves those numbers are substantially worse than a guy like Brind'Amour (24 points after Cole's arrival, including 9 goals) who was playing at best 3rd line minutes. I don't see how you can take a guy who put up those kind of numbers while playing for a contract and expect him to be a top line player, or even a second line player. We all love Cole, and I know everyone is going to argue with "but he hits people and takes up space in front of the net and etc. etc." but in reality the money would clearly be better spent elsewhere so that Staal can get some help from someone who will actually produce.

This was probably the most honest post I've seen, and from a huge Cole fan. It's funny to me how people can criticize other people for wanting their favorite players here... of course they do! It's part of being a fan. I don't want Whitney traded because he's led the team in points the past two seasons. It amazes me how the suggestion to trade Whitney is often uttered in the same breath with "re-sign Cole". Doesn't make sense to trade a proven producer on this team for someone who could "potentially" help.

And for the record, I never said Eaves outperformed anyone.... the meaning behind the post was that Eaves' performance and his role vs. his salary wasn't as unbalanced as Brindy's or Cole's, meaning Eaves is worth his $1.1 million before Cole OR Brindy are worth their $4 million each. And if Eaves has been as bad as a lot of people say... what are you gonna get for him in a trade? Not much.

That was $8 million tied up in two very underachieving players.... both of these guys were nonexistent in the playoffs. The Brindy situation is out of anyone's hand but his, and he says he's coming back, and that's his choice, but if he can't perform at the level we're all used to seeing him perform at, then he needs to hang up the skates.

BTW: I bet Williams has a great year with LA.

We could go back and forth all day about Cole needing to be re-signed or not, but the fact is.... if he is re-signed, everyone can give up hope of getting a top line winger.

But I still say JR could make a trade. You get riddled with the same questions... What can you get? Typically you trade guys that are underachieving... but ths normally nets you a lesser return. I exclude Whitney from MY trade discussion because I just don't see the upside in moving him, especially when he's led the team in points the last two years.

I don't think Eaves is going to get you much more than a prospect in return.

Samsonov is carrying a decently hefty contract... and after his performances in Montreal and Chicago before coming here, a team would probably be hesitant. But I think JR should entertain offers... at least see what he COULD get for Sammy.

I have to say Cullen is the player you could get the most for... and moving him could leave a big gap in the middle. I really like Cullen, but the team cannot get better by standing pat, and PK has shown his unwillingness to open the wallet for a big time player. If JR can get a bonafide top-line winger for Cullen and Samsonov, I say pull the trigger. Hopefully Jussi would be able to pick up the slack down the middle. It's just an idea. I understand what Cullen and Sammy bring the the Canes, respectfully, but you have to give up quality to get quality. Cullen and Sammy together make $5.1 million. Moving them for a top line player might also allow J.R to re-sign Cole, much the the enjoyment of most Canes fans. I've been saying you let Cole walk because I don't think JR could sign him at THAT big of a discount. If I'm wrong, and JR can sign him for half, then maybe...

This trade most likely wouldn't happen, but it never hurts to speculate. I like to come up with different ideas to see what you all think.

Yeah he's probably not the most attractive free agent out there, but he's played with us before.. he knows most of the staff (He played for Lavi) and some of the players, Staal, Cole, Ward, Whitney etc who were there in 06. He obviously respects the franchise (returning here for ring ceremonies and parades and parties after he had resigned with the Pens and says good things about us when we play against him). Plus his salary last year was only 1.50 M.

He's listed as a third line RW for Boston, which would probably be 2nd line for us... so maybe if we bump whitney or ruutu up to the first line.. something like this

Cole - Staal - Ruutu

Whitney - Jokinen - Recchi

Walker - Cullen - Samsonov

LaRose - Brindamour - Eaves

Just a thought, plus we know how JR loves recycling... But do you think he will A) Retire, B ) resign with Boston or C) look elsewhere as a UFA?

I wouldn't mind a Recchi return at all (especially if he is only going for about 1.5 M). Think about it; like most of you have said, next year's team is most likely going to look a lot like this year's team. Therefore, with the addition of him, it will be like this year's team plus Recchi -> that doesn't sound bad to me. And I know we need to get younger, but again, I think most of the kind of moves that are being talked about on here are moves that are most likely going to happen a year from now and not this offseason. I like the sound of a Larose-Cullen-Recchi line.. but thats just me..

My feeling is that if we sign Cole for one dollar and put him on the top two lines we hamstring ourselves in two ways. (As was said) it puts an underperforming Cole on the ice for 18 minutes a night and it blocks a better player from having those minutes. My feeling is that the best possible move is to not sign Cole and to use that money saved to get a bonafide top six forward (or shut down defensiveman). I really don't understand what logic (other than sentimental reasons) that we bring Cole back under any circumstances.

My feeling is that if we sign Cole for one dollar and put him on the top two lines we hamstring ourselves in two ways. (As was said) it puts an underperforming Cole on the ice for 18 minutes a night and it blocks a better player from having those minutes. My feeling is that the best possible move is to not sign Cole and to use that money saved to get a bonafide top six forward (or shut down defensiveman). I really don't understand what logic (other than sentimental reasons) that we bring Cole back under any circumstances.

you won't get many to agree on that, don't know how long you have followed this team but Cole brings more than a dollar to the table. and if that all it took to sign him then JR would have already signed him to a 5 year deal.

Two years ago, we all wanted puck moving offensive defensemen... now we want shutdown defensive defensemen... How quickly the game changes... we are almost back to playing prelockout hockey, the new rules don't mean squat if the penalties don't get called. Our small fast skill team that skated circles around people in 06 and won the cup is now getting hooked, held and tripped into oblivion...

The jury's out for me on Cole.. I know he's a fan favorite and puts butts in seats.... but if he doesnt score? How does he help the team other then selling a few hotdogs? He came back pretty good in his first few games back, a couple goals and assists with his buddy Staal and then dropped off the face of the earth and was invisible in the playoffs.

I think a lot of people are right though about no one being added this year, since there won't be any empty spaces. All the UFAs and RFAs want to be resigned... there won't be any spots for anyone to come in. LaRose is back, Jokinen better be back (he wants it, the fans want it), Cole will probably resign..

If the rumor about Kaberle is true that opens up a D spot, but Babchuk will probably stay (his options I think are play here or nowhere)..

The problem with letting Cole walk is that 4 million for 1 year won't get a top six forward from another team.. and it never will... 4 million for 3 years would grab a rookie, or a 4th liner and thats about it.

you won't get many to agree on that, don't know how long you have followed this team but Cole brings more than a dollar to the table. and if that all it took to sign him then JR would have already signed him to a 5 year deal.

I;ve been a fan of the team since the late 80's (living in Connecticut), in Greensboro (since I live in Greensboro since 1993) and have been a season ticket holder since 2003. Look, Cole now is not the BBC line Cole and not the pre-injury Cole. I think he's been a trooper for this organization...but I've also watched him closely for the last three or so years...and his performance in the playoffs does not appear to have been a fluke. If you sign him for millions and give him top six minutes--it will set back the Canes (imho). I'd like to be wrong but I just don't think he will regain his pre-injury, BBC production.

Many many good points made here.

Let me start out by being mildly conroversial, though it seems that many share my view. The move to bring Eric Cole back was VASTLY overated. I was disappointed by that move when it occured, but quickly shut down because the team did so well and Cole looked good out there during the end of the regular season. Still, we could have added any number of decent rental wingers and gotten a similar response and maybe more in the playoffs.

This team had already started turning it around before Cole came on board. Our tightened D from forward back left Cam hung out to dry far less and Cam elevated his game. That was #1: better defense and Cam realizing his potential. This was by far #1. #2 was that Brindy was sent home and ultimately demoted to 3rd and even 4th line duties. With that he also started playing better, at least to close out the regular season. #3 was Cole. He essenitally replaced a call up 4th liner since Williams wasn't playing at all. Cole is still much better than Ryan or Heimelmann. So that did make a difference, but not THE difference.

This would all be well and good, but Cole just simply does not produce in the clutch. When the intensity of the game picks up that drive down the wing almost never actually amounts to points. Cole brought an 0-20 playoff scoring record INTO these playoffs. Don't get me wrong. Cole still looks good at times, even great, but he is the ultimate "almost" player, who looks really good and "almost" but not quite, produces points.

If Cole took 3rd line money and 3rd line minutes, I would consider keeping him since he really seems to like it here, but is he really a great 3rd liner? Didn't work that great in Edmonton. If the rumors about Kabs going to the KHL are true, than that, with Cole's salary might free up enough for a near elite winger to play with Staal.

Quick points: Brind'Amour. If anyone remembers I was hard on him before the move down the lower lines. He improved his play, but he never regained his form. I say 4th line at best. To continue with the controversy, if anyone would trade for him I would wish him well. It's not that he wouldn't be a good 4th liner, it's just that we have the Sutter kid, and Jokinen, unlike Cole has proven a mega-clutch player, and I still think we have not seen a fully health Cullen who I would keep, so where does Brindy fit in? Maybe move Jokenin to wing.

My basic theme is this: look at who produced during the playoffs and who didn't. Factor that into the mix.

LaRose: For the love of all that's hockey-holey resign this man. He is worth the money. He got his 20 goals with almost no time on the power play. He produced in the playoffs and his attitude and work ethic are legendary.

Babchuk: Really tough later rounds of the playoffs, so my playoff as a test theory would argue for letting him go. But, he has little NHL time under his belt and we have not seen the best of him. He scored a lot of clutch goals late in the season. If we lock him up and he gets better he would be at the least major future trade bait. Try to keep him.

Ruutu needs to stay since he is major hitting force and we have so few of them. But he did not produce much in the playoffs, perhaps hurt?, I would keep him for his attitude if nothing else.

Sammy: I really like the guy. But if we want to get bigger, moving him would do that. Only if he has trade value. In general I like him a lot as a third liner and would probably keep him.

Jokenin: Works well with Pitkanen, major clutch playoff guy. But see Sammy. If we need to get bigger.

Whitney: He is the man. Other than Staal this is the last of the Mohicans of guys from the 06 team that puts serious points up. But he is getting a bit long in the tooth. This may be the last year that he has trade value. His scoring may start tailing off soon. He is a minus player all the time, including the playoffs. If his points tail off it would be ugly. It would pain me on this one, but if the right deal were out there, again we could get a lot bigger in one move. I would trade him. I would truly miss him though.

Keep Mo: I know he is blocking some prospect coaches (Rowe/Daniels/?Francis), but the team responded to him and he got us deep into the playoffs. Plus we need a couple more years before we can recycle Lavi.

So: let Cole go, Trade Brindy if possible (proabably not though), trade Whitney (the big move), SIGN LAROSE, keep Ruutu, keep Bachuk, Kabs to KHL, pick up near-elite level winger for Staal, Sammy and Jussi test the trade waters for bigger forwards (probably keep both), get Sutter, Boychuk, and Bowman up for looks, keep Mo.

I dont see why people want to get rid of whitney he has been the leading scorer on this team for the 2006-2007 season and this season 08-09. I fail to see how trading the Wizard is going to help the team also even though he is 37 he is still producing and for his age his doesn't really have to many injury problems (knock on wood). I would have no problem with letting cole go and trading Brindy. It isn't like this team needs to have huge over haul or anything afterall we did make it to the ECF. I could understand getting an elite or near elite level winger for Staal to play with, but at the same time I really dont want carolina investing 6-7 million a year on a winger. It would be ideal if we could get a really good winger for 3-5 million a year that price range would be a lot more reasonable. I think a shut down defender would be good around 3 million could get you a very good defenseman. My guess is that if Rutherford wants an elite winger to play with Staal it is going to have to be via trade. I could see JR going to the free agent market for a defenseman (Boynton, Komisarek, Oduya etc..). Overall there are more defenseman to pick from the free agent market than elite level wingers.

I dont see why people want to get rid of whitney he has been the leading scorer on this team for the 2006-2007 season and this season 08-09. I fail to see how trading the Wizard is going to help the team also even though he is 37 he is still producing and for his age his doesn't really have to many injury problems (knock on wood). I would have no problem with letting cole go and trading Brindy. It isn't like this team needs to have huge over haul or anything afterall we did make it to the ECF. I could understand getting an elite or near elite level winger for Staal to play with, but at the same time I really dont want carolina investing 6-7 million a year on a winger. It would be ideal if we could get a really good winger for 3-5 million a year that price range would be a lot more reasonable. I think a shut down defender would be good around 3 million could get you a very good defenseman. My guess is that if Rutherford wants an elite winger to play with Staal it is going to have to be via trade. I could see JR going to the free agent market for a defenseman (Boynton, Komisarek, Oduya etc..). Overall there are more defenseman to pick from the free agent market than elite level wingers.

I can only answer for myself here. I was a huge defender when people suggested trading Whitney last year. We had basically traded away much of our proven scoring, then lost Brind'Amour's production, so I was very against trading him then. I agree Whitney has been one guy who just keeps putting up points, and for me entertaining this option assumes that he has significant trade value. But if he does, this would be a bit of a bet that his production will start to drop off as a 38 year old. He is a defensive liability and if his point production drops even a little his plus minus could get almost Brind'Amour-like. And he is tiny on a team that wants to get bigger.

Further we have a prospect like Boychuk, who could be a new Whitney.

Look I love Ray. And of all the guys I would hate to lose he and LaRose would head the list. But proven scorers are a relatively rare commodity in the NHL. Most teams don't have more than 4-5 20 goal guys. Whitney may have trade value. If he does and we could get bigger and younger. Or if, by some chance he could figure into that deal that lands us that top winger for Staal, it could be a very prescient move.

I'd be okay with letting Cole go, I love the guy and appreciate his work with us, but I think it's time to part ways.

Someone mentioned Gaborik, no thanks, he wanted too much from Minnesota and he's injury-prone, we would be lucky to see him in a handful of games.

I'd like a winger alongside Staal to add in a 1-2 punch combo, but I have no clue on who could be that guy, or what we would to give up in order to get him.