The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Eklund is saying on HockeyBuzz we may be interested in Neidermeyer. So I guess he has to be considered when we play GM

#8 Rod Neidermeyer-It has been assumed that Rob is heading to Anaheim, but Vancouver, Carolina, Detroit and NJ are making a little noise.

Eklund is saying on HockeyBuzz we may be interested in Neidermeyer. So I guess he has to be considered when we play GM

#8 Rod Neidermeyer-It has been assumed that Rob is heading to Anaheim, but Vancouver, Carolina, Detroit and NJ are making a little noise.

So Vancouver, Carolina and Detroit are completely out of the running for Neidermeyer then. :lol:

R. Neids would be a great 4th line center. He'd play really well on a physical, 4th line.

So Vancouver, Carolina and Detroit are completely out of the running for Neidermeyer then. :lol:

R. Neids would be a great 4th line center. He'd play really well on a physical, 4th line.

My thoughts exactly!! ;)

My thoughts exactly!! ;)

Rod Niedermeyer? Didn't he play on a line with Rob Brind'amour?

Copied and pasted just because I shouldn't be the only one smiling. Eklund got it right in

the copy.

Copied and pasted just because I shouldn't be the only one smiling. Eklund got it right in

the copy.

the copy.

It's a simple typo.. but it kinda made me chuckle since someone in an earlier post had mistyped Rod as Rob for Brindy... Maybe they both have evil twins that play in the KHL?

Look likes the rumored Prospal buyout is going through... That's gotta stink.. 1 year into a 4 year contract and gets dumped. At least he's getting paid something, compared to the NFL where a team can seemingly "release" you with no obligation to pay you whatsoever.

I guess with the 1.6 million he'll be making for the next 6 years, he can sign somewhere for only 1 to 1.5 and be close to the 3.5 he was gonna make. Not sure how he would fit in with us, but now he's available.

It's a simple typo.. but it kinda made me chuckle since someone in an earlier post had mistyped Rod as Rob for Brindy... Maybe they both have evil twins that play in the KHL?

Look likes the rumored Prospal buyout is going through... That's gotta stink.. 1 year into a 4 year contract and gets dumped. At least he's getting paid something, compared to the NFL where a team can seemingly "release" you with no obligation to pay you whatsoever.

I guess with the 1.6 million he'll be making for the next 6 years, he can sign somewhere for only 1 to 1.5 and be close to the 3.5 he was gonna make. Not sure how he would fit in with us, but now he's available.

Prospal would be too much for us now, as we most likely won't sign anyone with a price tag over 1 mil.

Prospal would be too much for us now, as we most likely won't sign anyone with a price tag over 1 mil.

It would mainly depend on what J.R.'s opinion of Prospal is. If the price were cheap enough (considering what he will get from TB) I could see J.R. picking him up and moving somebody else. Dumpster diving is what J.R. does best.

I think he might take $1-1.5 million 1 or 2 year contract to a team like Carolina where he knows he has a good shot to prove himself and play on a cup contending team. I don't think will be too greedy seeing as he has $1.2 million in free money coming to him every year for the next 6 years. I'd definitely give him a shot on a 1 year contract plus he brings the veteran presence JR mentioned.

It just seems to me that signing a 4th line center (promoting Brind'Amour to 3rd line center) like Yelle for about $1 million a year pales in comparison to taking a chance on a potential 1st line winger (like Afinogenov or Prospal) for $1-1.5 million that could just as easily mix in well on our 2nd-3rd lines if needed and keeping Brind'Amour on the shutdown line to play as few minutes as possible yet hopefully still be effective when we need him.

It would mainly depend on what J.R.'s opinion of Prospal is. If the price were cheap enough (considering what he will get from TB) I could see J.R. picking him up and moving somebody else. Dumpster diving is what J.R. does best.

Well put.

I wonder when the news on Babchuk is coming... Hopefully JR can put spite aside and cash him in for the good prospect he is likely worth. He said Friday he hoped to get rid of him by the beginning of this week, I would guess some talks are going on.

The only reason I could see JR doin this is this guys got everything to prove and JR likes taking chances because 90% of the time his poker hand wins the table.

In terms of diamonds in the rough JR is amazing at it, we need a #1 winger badly but honestly I think JR views that winger as Cole and he's already got that checked off even though we as fans dont.

The only reason I could see JR doin this is this guys got everything to prove and JR likes taking chances because 90% of the time his poker hand wins the table.

In terms of diamonds in the rough JR is amazing at it, we need a #1 winger badly but honestly I think JR views that winger as Cole and he's already got that checked off even though we as fans dont.

Exactly. If he were to sign someone else it would have to be a heck of a deal, because if he's much over $1 mil he's going to have to move somebody or get some extra $ from Karmanos. Based on NTC (Walker, Whitney) and recent signings (Cole, LaRose, Ruutu, Jokinen), the only real movement option would be Samsonov, who has 2 years left on his contract with a shaky history. Seems pretty unlikely.

The only thing is, who would me move? Obviously Staal is out of the question, and people like Cole, Jokinen, Ruutu and LaRose are highly unlikely as we could have not signed them (or traded the rights in RFA's cases). Whitney and Walker have NTC's and I doubt this franchise moves Brindy. That leaves Samsonov and Cullen. We can't afford to lose Cullen, so Samsonov is the only reasonable option.

Well put.

I wonder when the news on Babchuk is coming... Hopefully JR can put spite aside and cash him in for the good prospect he is likely worth. He said Friday he hoped to get rid of him by the beginning of this week, I would guess some talks are going on.

I really wouldn't mind Babchuk being signed. We freed up some cap space after buying out Kaberle, would it really hurt to offer Babs just slightly more than the million? 1 year for 1.3-1.4. He'd be a much better option than Wallin on that bottom pairing, and our PP wouldn't take as big of a hit.

The only thing is, who would me move? Obviously Staal is out of the question, and people like Cole, Jokinen, Ruutu and LaRose are highly unlikely as we could have not signed them (or traded the rights in RFA's cases). Whitney and Walker have NTC's and I doubt this franchise moves Brindy. That leaves Samsonov and Cullen. We can't afford to lose Cullen, so Samsonov is the only reasonable option.

While Sammy would be the likely suspect, I wouldn't put anything past J.R. after he got Boston to buy out Eaves for us. Deals like that is why I'm thinking about having my vasectomy reversed just so I can have another kid and name him J.R.

I really wouldn't mind Babchuk being signed. We freed up some cap space after buying out Kaberle, would it really hurt to offer Babs just slightly more than the million? 1 year for 1.3-1.4. He'd be a much better option than Wallin on that bottom pairing, and our PP wouldn't take as big of a hit.

Babs is dead to J.R.

Babs is dead to J.R.

Unfortunately this is very true. However he is still a great young offensive defenseman prospect and if JR goes about it smartly instead of just trying to dumpster him we should see an impressive prospect in return. There are a lot of teams in need of a cheap offensive defenseman and many of them have great offensive prospects so it could be win/win.

Unfortunately this is very true. However he is still a great young offensive defenseman prospect and if JR goes about it smartly instead of just trying to dumpster him we should see an impressive prospect in return. There are a lot of teams in need of a cheap offensive defenseman and many of them have great offensive prospects so it could be win/win.

It ain't worth the effort. He got squirrely on us once and obviously did not get it out of his system.

This kind of behaviour makes his status as a "great" prospect drop like a stone.