The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I really wouldn't mind Babchuk being signed. We freed up some cap space after buying out Kaberle, would it really hurt to offer Babs just slightly more than the million? 1 year for 1.3-1.4. He'd be a much better option than Wallin on that bottom pairing, and our PP wouldn't take as big of a hit.

That thought crossed my mind. You never know. But I think we are in the market for another winger. I don't think we will spend the extra money on Babs

Babs is dead to J.R.

Or moved back to Russia (almost the same thing to JR) :)

I really wouldn't mind Babchuk being signed. We freed up some cap space after buying out Kaberle, would it really hurt to offer Babs just slightly more than the million? 1 year for 1.3-1.4. He'd be a much better option than Wallin on that bottom pairing, and our PP wouldn't take as big of a hit.

That thought crossed my mind. You never know. But I think we are in the market for another winger. I don't think we will spend the extra money on Babs

Babs is dead to J.R.

Or moved back to Russia (almost the same thing to JR) :)

Im hoping we can trade Babs, hopefully to a western conference team so we won't have to play against him as much (I've heard Vancouver and Columbus have needs for someone like Babs) for a good defensive defenseman prospect. A draft pick would be an OK return, but I would much rather have a good prospect then a pick at this point because the 2010/2011 drafts are supposed to be weaker than this years.

It ain't worth the effort. He got squirrely on us once and obviously did not get it out of his system.

This kind of behaviour makes his status as a "great" prospect drop like a stone.

Don't be so gullible... The truth is JR has a serious scorn for Babchuk and he has said a lot of things to make him look bad that could be completely untrue. It amazes me everyone goes from loving the guy during the season to automatically hating him, saying he has a bad attitude, and completely giving up on him saying he has no value just because that's what JR thinks and has publicly said again and again. Bab's said he doesn't want to go back to Russia, I'm sure he would of been happy to stay with the Canes had he received the small raise that he in truth deserved. All in all the Canes have treated Babchuk just as bad if not worse than he supposedly treated them. I agree JR's tirades to the media about how much he dislikes Babchuk probably hurt his value but you would have to be a real sheep to trust just 1 persons view who obviously has had a biased opinion from Day 1. Have you ever heard anyone from the Canes speak negatively of Babchuk other than JR? Teammates? Coaches? Anyone? I haven't. In fact I can remember both Lavi and Maurice saying last year that they really liked Babs and as a young Russian defenseman he was really coming into his game well.

Don't be so gullible... The truth is JR has a serious scorn for Babchuk and he has said a lot of things to make him look bad that could be completely untrue. It amazes me everyone goes from loving the guy during the season to automatically hating him, saying he has a bad attitude, and completely giving up on him saying he has no value just because that's what JR thinks and has publicly said again and again. Bab's said he doesn't want to go back to Russia, I'm sure he would of been happy to stay with the Canes had he received the small raise that he in truth deserved. All in all the Canes have treated Babchuk just as bad if not worse than he supposedly treated them. I agree JR's tirades to the media about how much he dislikes Babchuk probably hurt his value but you would have to be a real sheep to trust just 1 persons view who obviously has had a biased opinion from Day 1. Have you ever heard anyone from the Canes speak negatively of Babchuk other than JR? Teammates? Coaches? Anyone? I haven't.

Anton, is that you????

Really? You wouldnt mind us signing Babs? Thats a new idea from you we havent seen posted yet.

Anton's agent, is that you?

Dear JR:

Please either sign or trade Anton Babchuk so we don't have to read anymore of the ongoing Babchuk saga posts here on this message board. Most of us are tired of the bickering and would like to move on.

Thanks for considering,

99% of the members here at CH.com

Don't be so gullible...

Sorry about being gullible. It comes from years of observing.

:P

Dear JR:

Please either sign or trade Anton Babchuk so we don't have to read anymore of the ongoing Babchuk saga posts here on this message board. Most of us are tired of the bickering and would like to move on.

Thanks for considering,

99% of the members here at CH.com

JR said by the beginning of this week! I agree, trade him or send him back to Russia...

I dont know how far back in this thread it was suggested but I found this little clip about Afinaganov over at the Sabres board:

• Dynamo Moscow are waiting for Max Afinogenov, formerly of the Buffalo Sabres, to accept their offer. Afinogenov will start getting ready for the season with Dynamo on July 23, but wants to explore his options in the NHL before accepting the agreement with the KHL club.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,178394

Sorry about being gullible. It comes from years of observing.

:P

Observing, you mean stalking? :lol:

I will say again though the only things I ever remember hearing in coaches/player interviews about Babchuk were very positive things. All I ever remember hearing in JR's interviews about Babchuk were neutral/negative things.

Observing, you mean stalking? :lol:

I will say again though the only things I ever remember hearing in coaches/player interviews about Babchuk were very positive things. All I ever remember hearing in JR's interviews about Babchuk were neutral/negative things.

maybe cause a coach is stuck and needs him to play for him and JR has the ability to pull the trigger on him anytime. We can read into what we read anyway we want, no?

JR said by the beginning of this week! I agree, trade him or send him back to Russia...

Glad you agree with JR just getting on with it. I wish you also agreed that 99% of us are tired of reading the bickering about it too. ;)

I think 99% is a low estimate. There are 4709 members currently, so I'd say it's about 99.9%.

Glad you agree with JR just getting on with it. I wish you also agreed that 99% of us are tired of reading the bickering about it too. ;)

To be fair, it wasn't bickering until someone decided to take snide personal shots.

What's the consensus on what other activities JR may be looking at for the upcoming season?

I see Babs being moved for prospects/picks.

Obviously there are a few here who believe we may still be in the market for another winger if the price is right. Is that a free agent statement or a trading statement or both?

I think our lines are pretty solid going into camp, but Brindy's position puts a lot of question marks into the equation. If he regains form, then I see him centering the 3rd line between Jokinen and Samsonov. If he can only manage 4th line centering, then I think that opens up some interesting questions. #1, is Sutter ready to center the 3rd line between Jokinen/Sammy or #2: is Boychuk ready to jump to the NHL and play 3rd line winger with Sammy and centered by Jokinen?

I think the answers to those questions help determine whether we pull the trigger on anything else. I believe we're pretty close to our self-imposed spending at this point, so I'm not sure we try to pick up a Kobasew or a Prospal (mentioned here) or anyone else for that matter without looking at who we might need to move out of the equation to manage our own budget.

Barring injury, I think a Babs trade may be the last move we make until we see how camp goes.

What's the consensus on what other activities JR may be looking at for the upcoming season?

I see Babs being moved for prospects/picks.

Obviously there are a few here who believe we may still be in the market for another winger if the price is right. Is that a free agent statement or a trading statement or both?

I think our lines are pretty solid going into camp, but Brindy's position puts a lot of question marks into the equation. If he regains form, then I see him centering the 3rd line between Jokinen and Samsonov. If he can only manage 4th line centering, then I think that opens up some interesting questions. #1, is Sutter ready to center the 3rd line between Jokinen/Sammy or #2: is Boychuk ready to jump to the NHL and play 3rd line winger with Sammy and centered by Jokinen?

I think the answers to those questions help determine whether we pull the trigger on anything else. I believe we're pretty close to our self-imposed spending at this point, so I'm not sure we try to pick up a Kobasew or a Prospal (mentioned here) or anyone else for that matter without looking at who we might need to move out of the equation to manage our own budget.

Barring injury, I think a Babs trade may be the last move we make until we see how camp goes.

Jussi is a center. Sutter should spend this year in the AHL, he still needs to develop and deserves first line minutes in the AHL to excel hopefully this year.

Its easy for us to hear the trades/buyouts/signings and get excited about our season. We have some known players on our lines. However, I think many of us forget what our biggest problem was offensively for the past 3 seasons. We are inconsistent and certain players are too slow or make a lot of turn overs. We have a big mixture of talent and have switched up our lines. Every person on each line has had its fair share of production but FEW are consistent.

Our lines are OKAY but are all questionable and hardly solid. Brindy is going to be 4th line. Whether he likes it or not we cannot afford to have him on the 3rd line. IS Sutter better? Yes - he lacks the experience but he will not get it if we keep Brindy on the 3rd line. Boychuk and Sutter are young but we need to relax and let those guys play between 3rd & 4th line. They will give us more of an advantage now and over time by letting them learn.

I say we trade and do something BIG instead of hoping or waiting for someone to show us if they can produce. Lets do what is necessary for a 2nd line center with potential to be a 1st liner. If not get a winger. But having 2 strong lines will position us better for the cup.

Its easy for us to hear the trades/buyouts/signings and get excited about our season. We have some known players on our lines. However, I think many of us forget what our biggest problem was offensively for the past 3 seasons. We are inconsistent and certain players are too slow or make a lot of turn overs. We have a big mixture of talent and have switched up our lines. Every person on each line has had its fair share of production but FEW are consistent.

Our lines are OKAY but are all questionable and hardly solid. Brindy is going to be 4th line. Whether he likes it or not we cannot afford to have him on the 3rd line. IS Sutter better? Yes - he lacks the experience but he will not get it if we keep Brindy on the 3rd line. Boychuk and Sutter are young but we need to relax and let those guys play between 3rd & 4th line. They will give us more of an advantage now and over time by letting them learn.

I say we trade and do something BIG instead of hoping or waiting for someone to show us if they can produce. Lets do what is necessary for a 2nd line center with potential to be a 1st liner. If not get a winger. But having 2 strong lines will position us better for the cup.

I agree and would much rather get the process of integrating the young guys going while we have plenty of veterans around and while the young guys (Bowman, Sutter, Boychuk, Mcbain) are early in their contracts. We are putting a lot of stock in these young guys to fill in some holes in the next two years and most of them have only played juniors. Getting them on the ice sooner to assess the talent level before many of the vet contracts expire is important so we know exactly what we are going to need in free agency when many of the vet contracts expire the next couple of years.

I think trading a vet for a good winger sets the tone early with the team no messing around and we want to return to the playoffs again. The luster of the new coaching staff is going to wear off this year and we don't want to return to the previous 3 years of lackuster play in Nov and Dec. The vet core in my opinion was not impressive in leading the team during that time. Removing one of them from the mix and bringing in a new winger really sends a message.

I agree and would much rather get the process of integrating the young guys going while we have plenty of veterans around and while the young guys (Bowman, Sutter, Boychuk, Mcbain) are early in their contracts. We are putting a lot of stock in these young guys to fill in some holes in the next two years and most of them have only played juniors. Getting them on the ice sooner to assess the talent level before many of the vet contracts expire is important so we know exactly what we are going to need in free agency when many of the vet contracts expire the next couple of years.

One step at a time. Letting the players you mentioned play big minutes in Albany for a year will do more for their development than playing on the fourth line in Carolina will.

which is exactly why sutter didn't play here the last two months of the season, if you rush someone up too soon you run the risk of messing up the development process, thats why it's called development, metaphor of the day: you don't let a baby ride a bike before he knows how to walk, or do you? We have plenty of talent right now that we can be patient with our young guys and still be a contender, which I feel is an ideal situation, not everyone is going to reach there peak at 20 years old like Crysby.

Two words...POWER PLAY

In the playoffs we were 10% on the PP. That is pathetic. Of the final 4 teams in the playoffs, we were the only one below 20%. During the regular season, we scored 18.8% of the time on the PP. That is better, but still not among the best. I'd venture that a lot of that success came against the lesser teams. With all the changes that have been made over the summer, let's hope this gets some attention. With a little better PP, we may not have needed those two 7 game series' and may have been a little fresher against the Pens.

One step at a time. Letting the players you mentioned play big minutes in Albany for a year will do more for their development than playing on the fourth line in Carolina will.

I can certainly understand that and you hear about how it is a big jump from juniors to AHL and then another big jump from AHL to the NHL. All I am saying is that sometime this year these young guys need to be given an opportunity against big league talent to see what we have. If that ends up being 10 games at 3rd/4th line minutes so be it.

Several people complained about Lavi juggling lines to find chemistry including myself but you also saw Mo do line juggling to get some scoring. This team has been horribly inconsistent on scoring since 2006. If you are going to be line juggling beacuse of the same inconsistency we saw for the last 4 years I think an injection of youth has to be given a shot. We can't just say all of a sudden the vets contracts are up now its your turn to prove yourself.

Two words...POWER PLAY

In the playoffs we were 10% on the PP. That is pathetic. Of the final 4 teams in the playoffs, we were the only one below 20%. During the regular season, we scored 18.8% of the time on the PP. That is better, but still not among the best. I'd venture that a lot of that success came against the lesser teams. With all the changes that have been made over the summer, let's hope this gets some attention. With a little better PP, we may not have needed those two 7 game series' and may have been a little fresher against the Pens.

I expect our powerplay to have a different setup this upcoming season. Near the end of last year, our PP essentially consisted of "Find Babchuk/Corvo and let them fire away", which worked out great before other teams caught on. Once they realized all they had to do was cover the pointmen and Staal would spend all 2 minutes trying a wraparound, our PP% dropped like a rock.

The only problem I can see at the moment is, no matter what strategy we use on the PP, we'll likely have to play a forward on the point on one of our powerplay units, likely Cullen.