The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I checked earlier today and found nothing to suggest Manny is close to signing anywhere. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been taken by someone, but that seems to be a common theme this year.

And uh...to try and move away from this topic (again), anyone heard anything about Malhotra? We need a 4th line center, and he's a great centerman. Only problem is, he's much better than 4th line minutes, and JR already said he doesn't want Brindamour playing the 4th line (or something to that effect).

I too was interested in Malhotra so I went to get some info from Columbus fans. Seems that he would have already been re-signed in Columbus if he would take 4th line. Sounds like he's looking for atleast top 9. Maybe if it comes close to camp and he doesn't have an offer, he might have to take a 4th line role. But then there's the question, does Columbus sign him then.

I'm assumming no one thinks Sutter can handle a full season as the 4th line center and would be better served to remain in Albany? I would probably agree with that.

Yeah, I'd really like all our AHLers (with maybe the exception of a defenseman) to stay in the AHL, get another year to develop. We're losing a lot of contracts next year, so they can make the jump then.

The only time we're asking for evidence of his off ice issues is when they're brought up like facts. For all anyone knows, this could all just stem from Anton's refusal to report a couple years ago. Still an off-ice issue, but there's no actual evidence of a "bad attitude" this year. And I would have thought this board would learn not to judge someone on their past, considering how many reclamation projects the Canes have grabbed.

And uh...to try and move away from this topic (again), anyone heard anything about Malhotra? We need a 4th line center, and he's a great centerman. Only problem is, he's much better than 4th line minutes, and JR already said he doesn't want Brindamour playing the 4th line (or something to that effect).

While it doesn't really make sense to have a 4th liner making Brind'Amour's money, I really wonder what JR will actually do if Rod looks subpar as a third line center. It could be a sticky issue. At the very least it is a pretty fair bet that he could at least play on the 4th line in the worst case.

Back to the theme of the Malhotra converstation. What if Brindy really can't go as the third line center evidenced by his performance in camp? Knowing full well he's doing everything possible to get ready, I have that doubt in the back of my mind after his knee injuries last year. He obviously was two steps slower last season. That would put JR in a pickle. Now you really are in dire need of at least one, but maybe two centermen?

I'd have to wonder how much say Brindamour has in the lockerroom. I mean, last year really had to take a toll on him. It's hard to talk about defensive awareness when you're in the -20's. Wonder how vocal Staal was at these times, or did our other veteran (Whitney) step up and say what needed to be said?

Malhotra, at the right price on a 2 year deal, would be a great insurance policy for the 3rd-4th center position. As is, we need one more guy and I think Sutter would probably be better served by a full year in Albany developing with the other utes.

I'd have to wonder how much say Brindamour has in the lockerroom. I mean, last year really had to take a toll on him. It's hard to talk about defensive awareness when you're in the -20's. Wonder how vocal Staal was at these times, or did our other veteran (Whitney) step up and say what needed to be said?

That's a tough nut to crack. He isn't very vocal in the media, at least recently, on the teams play or lack thereof. He was absent...media wise.....in the playoffs. I guess the real question, if you get right down to it, is how long before the C goes to Staal?

Malhotra, at the right price on a 2 year deal, would be a great insurance policy for the 3rd-4th center position. As is, we need one more guy and I think Sutter would probably be better served by a full year in Albany developing with the other utes.

Watching a few Nashville games this year on CenterIce, Malhotra reminds me of a healthy Brindy. Their style of play is similar, particularly on special teams. And, he is only 29. Just from watching his "Day in the Life of" episode, seems well liked and respected in that locker room.

That's a tough nut to crack. He isn't very vocal in the media, at least recently, on the teams play or lack thereof. He was absent...media wise.....in the playoffs. I guess the real question, if you get right down to it, is how long before the C goes to Staal?

I was hoping that Brindy would hand over the C to Staal during the playoffs. I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes, but it isn't Brindy's team anymore as far as the hockey world is concerned. Staal carried the torch rather well year before last when Brindy was hurt.

Just swap the C and the A.

That's what I'm thinking. If Brindamour's not acting very captainish at the moment, if Staal's taking over those duties, it might be easier to move Brindamour to the 4th line.

I'm assumming no one thinks Sutter can handle a full season as the 4th line center and would be better served to remain in Albany? I would probably agree with that.

I think there our some on here that think Sutter is ready to step up but I also think most of us (just a guess) think Sutter would be better getting more ice time and bulking up at the AHL level for another year. I think if the situation dictates Sutter could step in. But another year with the Rats would be better.

While it doesn't really make sense to have a 4th liner making Brind'Amour's money, I really wonder what JR will actually do if Rod looks subpar as a third line center. It could be a sticky issue. At the very least it is a pretty fair bet that he could at least play on the 4th line in the worst case.

It is alot of money for a fourth line center but at 40 that may be the best place for Brindy combined with PK and some PP duties. The problem is JR said Brindy would not only need to earn his spot but (if memory serves) he wasn't paying Brindy for fourth line minutes. Right now on our depth chart that is exactly where he is behind Staal,Cullen and Jokinen.

I think there our some on here that think Sutter is ready to step up but I also think most of us (just a guess) think Sutter would be better getting more ice time and bulking up at the AHL level for another year. I think if the situation dictates Sutter could step in. But another year with the Rats would be better.

It is alot of money for a fourth line center but at 40 that may be the best place for Brindy combined with PK and some PP duties. The problem is JR said Brindy would not only need to earn his spot but (if memory serves) he wasn't paying Brindy for fourth line minutes. Right now on our depth chart that is exactly where he is behind Staal,Cullen and Jokinen.

That's what I'm thinking. If Brindamour's not acting very captainish at the moment, if Staal's taking over those duties, it might be easier to move Brindamour to the 4th line.

I just don't see Brindy settling for fourth line minutes. So, I really hope he can go. If he can't, it could prove to be a distraction. At the very least, it's something different to discuss.

IF Sutter has put on some bulk I think that he is capable of playing this year. I thought he was good positionally last year but just did not have the mass to check and keep from getting knocked off the puck.

I just don't see Brindy settling for fourth line minutes. So, I really hope he can go. If he can't, it could prove to be a distraction. At the very least, it's something different to discuss.

I think Brindy stays through training camp and early part of the season. My hope is he can skate

enough third line minutes and he is over the injury. He might just fool us. Lots of questions surrounding Brindy. Whatever happens it should happen with dignity. He deserves that.

It will be the players decision about the "C" on his sweater but I just don't see him being without it while he is a Cane. I'm not sure Staal is really ready yet. Staal seems at time to try and carry the team on his own. Admirable but I think it hurts his game. No doubt Staal will be Captain but not while Brindy is here. At least I don't think so.

I think Brindy stays through training camp and early part of the season. My hope is he can skate

enough third line minutes and he is over the injury. He might just fool us. Lots of questions surrounding Brindy. Whatever happens it should happen with dignity. He deserves that.

It will be the players decision about the "C" on his sweater but I just don't see him being without it while he is a Cane. I'm not sure Staal is really ready yet. Staal seems at time to try and carry the team on his own. Admirable but I think it hurts his game. No doubt Staal will be Captain but not while Brindy is here. At least I don't think so.

^This. IMO it doesn't do him any good to play 5 minutes a game when he could get more minutes and be a bigger part of the team in Albany. I would rather him wait the extra year and come up to stay than be a healthy scratch, play 5 minutes, and go back to the AHL in an endless cycle.

^This. IMO it doesn't do him any good to play 5 minutes a game when he could get more minutes and be a bigger part of the team in Albany. I would rather him wait the extra year and come up to stay than be a healthy scratch, play 5 minutes, and go back to the AHL in an endless cycle.

I have to agree. It is nice to know he is there (Albany) if you need him.

It appears some of us think we might not only still be shopping for a winger but a center too?

It appears some of us think we might not only still be shopping for a winger but a center too?

Well, I think that depends on where you plan on sticking Jokinen. You wanted him at center, others might want him to stay at wing.

Basically, Staal, Ruutu, Whitney, Cullen and Cole are going to be in the Top 6 for sure. K-stop, Walker, Samsonov and Brindamour are going to be in the bottom six for sure. LaRose and Jokinen could switch back and forth, depending on how they perform.

When Brind'Amour was out, and Staal took over, he did a good job of leading the team. I've always thought that when Brind'Amour came back that Staal deferred to him, and Staal's scoring lessened.

Well, I think that depends on where you plan on sticking Jokinen. You wanted him at center, others might want him to stay at wing.

Basically, Staal, Ruutu, Whitney, Cullen and Cole are going to be in the Top 6 for sure. K-stop, Walker, Samsonov and Brindamour are going to be in the bottom six for sure. LaRose and Jokinen could switch back and forth, depending on how they perform.

Yes, and my money is on Jokinen for the third line center position, based upon his performance in the playoffs and Brindy's question marks. JR has to be thinking the same thing. No? Edit to say I do need to remind myself someone has to replace better than a 60% faceoff win average.

It's gotta depend on how he performs in camp and what he says he can do. His play in the beginning of last year really hurt the team, so I would think (and hope) that he's completely honest with himself and the team about what he can and can't do.

As for faceoffs, Staal's the main concern there. The organization has put off emphasizing that with him, using the "He's young" excuse. Well, now he's older and needs to step up.