The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Only if Brindamour can't play on the 3rd line. I think he's given the organization enough to have a say in which line he feels he can play at.

Brind'Amour played a lot of minutes last season while he was recovering. I was pulling my hair out during that time. We gave him the right to have those minutes for being a veteran. However, it hurt us a great deal and you could see a huge difference when he was off the ice. Energy increases as well as our scoring and wins. I don't think he should be given his say on which line he feels he can play. From the words of JR I don't think that will happen either. He will have to come back and prove himself. I say he rolls into a player coach 4th line minute player.

Brindy is great at face-offs but that doesn't win cups. Crosby had 51% on face-offs for the season. We need to win a championship and our three lines last season were not good enough. We need a strong winger and I say bring Sutter up and let the guy go. Sure he is thin but so was Staal the season we won the Cup. Who knows what will happen. Time to trust the system. Bring up the youngsters and utilize Brindy as a mentor.

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=20171

That should tell you all you need to know about the importance of faceoffs. Replacing Brindamour's faceoff ability isn't going to be easy, and if it's not done by someone who's almost as adept at them as he is (such as Malhotra), we'll be scoring a lot less than last year and giving up more.

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20171' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=20171[/post]

That should tell you all you need to know about the importance of faceoffs. Replacing Brindamour's faceoff ability isn't going to be easy, and if it's not done by someone who's almost as adept at them as he is (such as Malhotra), we'll be scoring a lot less than last year and giving up more.

Faceoffs are great at key moments when you absolutely need them but Brind'Amour was first in the league in face-off % and 2nd to last in plus/minus. Jokinen was our best faceoff man in the playoffs and 13th in the league (for the playoffs, 54% while Brindy had 52%), I even noticed them putting Jokinen in the circle at the key moments instead of Brind'Amour which I think really shows their confidence in him. I think he can win the needed faceoffs.

Faceoffs are great at key moments when you absolutely need them...

I'd say they are a little more important than that. A face off win gives you control of the puck. It's hard to score when you don't have the puck, but you don't have to take my word for it, the data speaks for itself:

Last season, the FO% for the teams who made the playoffs collectively averaged to 50.9%. The teams that didn't make the playoffs averaged 48.95%.

Last year there were 12 teams with a FO% higher than 51%. 9 of them made the playoffs.

You could point to Pittsburgh winning the cup while not being a very strong face-off team and Brind'amour's +/- being so terrible, but I would argue that those are exceptions rather than the rule.

Year Cup Winner FO%

09 PIT 49.1

08 DET 53.3

07 ANA 51.8

06 CAR 51.7

I'd say they are a little more important than that. A face off win gives you control of the puck. It's hard to score when you don't have the puck, but you don't have to take my word for it, the data speaks for itself:

Last season, the FO% for the teams who made the playoffs collectively averaged to 50.9%. The teams that didn't make the playoffs averaged 48.95%.

Last year there were 12 teams with a FO% higher than 51%. 9 of them made the playoffs.

You could point to Pittsburgh winning the cup while not being a very strong face-off team and Brind'amour's +/- being so terrible, but I would argue that those are exceptions rather than the rule.

Year Cup Winner FO%

09 PIT 49.1

08 DET 53.3

07 ANA 51.8

06 CAR 51.7

You can pretty much do that with any key stat, and the teams that make the playoffs will be better. It doesn't mean that statistic is a key statistic in determining good teams. However, I will agree with you that faceoffs are very important. If you look at the link IceFrog posted, you can see some great reasons why.

Brind'Amour played a lot of minutes last season while he was recovering. I was pulling my hair out during that time. We gave him the right to have those minutes for being a veteran. However, it hurt us a great deal and you could see a huge difference when he was off the ice. Energy increases as well as our scoring and wins. I don't think he should be given his say on which line he feels he can play. From the words of JR I don't think that will happen either. He will have to come back and prove himself. I say he rolls into a player coach 4th line minute player.

Brindy is great at face-offs but that doesn't win cups. Crosby had 51% on face-offs for the season. We need to win a championship and our three lines last season were not good enough. We need a strong winger and I say bring Sutter up and let the guy go. Sure he is thin but so was Staal the season we won the Cup. Who knows what will happen. Time to trust the system. Bring up the youngsters and utilize Brindy as a mentor.

But no one is comparing Sutter's offensive capabilities to that of Staal's. Staal being thin in his first year was acceptable because he had an awesome scoring touch. He provided offence without being big. I dont believe Sutter can bring dominating offence, and the fact he is thin wont help him. Let him bulk up and develop a year in the AHL.

You are right. The gorgeous ones know it and the "not so gorgeous" ones are thankful.

and have developed skills to offset what is lacking.

So I have been seeing for a while that it looks like Alexander Frolov does not want to sign an extension with the Kings and they are trying to shop him around to get some value out of him as he is a UFA next off-season. Not to mention they basically replaced his first line LW spot with Ryan Smyth in the off-season. I don't really know what they want for him, they basically have their first line covered in Smyth+Kopitar+Brown but do need another D. Maybe Cole+Babchuk for Frolov. We could throw in a 2nd-4th pick if needed. I doubt they would want Samsonov (who knows though) and Whitney is off-limits due to NTC so we would have to dip into our recent signings but if he really is on the market (Which makes sense to me due to the bringing in of Ryan Smyth which probably means he turned down an extension an extension) there is a great first line winger for a manageable price this season and one our team has already been interested in many times before. Only downside is he is an UFA next season and we would possibly have to resign him at the lowered-cap market price but I'd imagine we would put up a good enough of a season (He has been stuck playoff-less on the Kings for his entire career of 6 seasons) to entice him to sign long term.

In other news it's still a month away from training camp... Going to be a long month.

So I have been seeing for a while that it looks like Alexander Frolov does not want to sign an extension with the Kings and they are trying to shop him around to get some value out of him as he is a UFA next off-season. Not to mention they basically replaced his first line LW spot with Ryan Smyth in the off-season. I don't really know what they want for him, they basically have their first line covered in Smyth+Kopitar+Brown but do need another D. Maybe Cole+Babchuk for Frolov. We could throw in a 2nd-4th pick if needed. I doubt they would want Samsonov (who knows though) and Whitney is off-limits due to NTC so we would have to dip into our recent signings but if he really is on the market (Which makes sense to me due to the bringing in of Ryan Smyth which probably means he turned down an extension an extension) there is a great first line winger for a manageable price this season and one our team has already been interested in many times before. Only downside is he is an UFA next season and we would possibly have to resign him at the lowered-cap market price but I'd imagine we would put up a good enough of a season (He has been stuck playoff-less on the Kings for his entire career of 6 seasons) to entice him to sign long term.

In other news it's still a month away from training camp... Going to be a long month.

Id love it if it were to happen. Maybe thats why JR is taking a long time to get something done with Babchuk; he's trying to get something really special for him.

Despite the Babchuk drama, in many ways Brind'Amour is the key to the early part of the season. If he can find a spot somewhere between his glory days and the horrid days, he could be a serviceable 3rd line center who wins face offs and puts up 45 points and at least has a mildly negative plus minus. But more likely (IMO) he will look good skating and passing, and will win face offs, but will continue to struggle in all other areas. If that happens, the key will be how Rod and JR handle this situation. NO ONE has the right to damage the team. It is JR and Moe's job to make sure that doesn't happen. They let it go on way too long last year. Again, the actual turn around for this team happened when they sent Brind'Amour home from the west coast last year. The team also surged the year before when Brindy went down with the knee (this is the biggest reason that I personally think he is done at any level above 4th line, that he was an issue before the knee injury, and two years younger).

I hope Rod can recapture at least some of his effectiveness. But I hope even more that JR has the ability to recognize very early if he has not and takes appropriate action.

I know that JR has said no to Rod on the 4th line, but other than money, it could make some sense. You could still roll him out there for key face-offs, and maybe with really limited minutes it would work. One could say "why pay a guy that kind of money to play on the 4th line?", but it is better than paying a guy that kind of money to accumulate the league's worst +/- on the second line, which is what we did most of last year.

I think some are over-exaggerating how ineffective Brindamour was last season or how much he has to overcome this upcoming season. Last season, he didn't have a good start, I don't think there's denying that. But after the Western roadswing, where the team sent him home and let him heal, he came back and played solid hockey for the remainder of the year. Even after all the early season drama, he put up 51 points, the majority coming on the 3rd line.

I think some are over-exaggerating how ineffective Brindamour was last season or how much he has to overcome this upcoming season. Last season, he didn't have a good start, I don't think there's denying that. But after the Western roadswing, where the team sent him home and let him heal, he came back and played solid hockey for the remainder of the year. Even after all the early season drama, he put up 51 points, the majority coming on the 3rd line.

Agreed. I thought after he came home he gained an extra gear. Just because you are cleared to play after an injury doesn't mean your 100% recovered which led to the early struggles.

The main question I have about Rod over the past two years has been some of his decision making with the puck. Too often times he would skate into the zone drop the puck back to a vacant point for a turnover or try to make too many passes across the middle after entering as well. Did the defenseman misread the play or the winger get neutralized? One too many times in my book. The point production for Rod appeared to get better with consistent lines in the stretch run.This leads me to the need for the winger for Staal.

We constantly juggled lines trying to find chemistry for Staal to get the main line scoring going. This ripple effect plagues all the other lines playing a contributing factor to Brindy's lack of production due to line chemistry. The budget is not going to allow for the top end talent necessary to acquire the winger for Staal unless there is a trade so it is more important than ever that they find the right lines and powerplay team combinations early in camp.

I think Brind'Amour's total value is a very tricky thing to assess really. He brings leadership, but the team has failed to repspond to him for long stretches as he has struggled and remained second line center and captain. Those stretches seemed (all circumstantial) to affect Staal's motivation over long stretches also.

He has great skills and his hand-eye, face-offs, and seeing the game is still very much in tact, but he has lost a serious step and loses nearly every "battle" outside of the face off circle. This was plainly evident last year and even if one wants to generally discard the +/- stat, being dead last while scoring a pretty decent number of points has to reflect something.

Brind'Amour doggedly remaining as second line center/captain clearly affected the team over two long stretches. That said, the team did play very well with him dropped down to 3rd and even 4th line. So, maybe the longer recovery time wins over another year older and Rod has still got 3rd line abilities. If so, the team will do very well as structured. If not though, JR and Moe will have a dilemma. If they handle it wrong it will affect the entire team.

I really hope you're right though, because if he can come back marginally improved over second half last year, he can be a very effective player and the team will benefit. It would have to be third line though. I am pretty confident that unless he just came out and dazzled, putting him back on the second line would have very negative affects on the team.

Despite my skepticism, I will say this though. Despite the +/- and the apparent affect he had on the team while in the second line center spot, the guy did put up 51 points. His apparent replacement, Jokinen, only put up 27 and was himself a minus 10. Jokinen did have a great playoff run, but still if Brindy is better, he may be that guy after all. I hope so.

I also hope though, that if he is not bringing it, the right thing gets done.

Does anybody think we will go into the season with the roster we have now and forget

about signing or trading for another forward?

Does anybody think we will go into the season with the roster we have now and forget

That's what I think. Maybe a Rat joins the party, but nobody else from outside. Hopefully, I'm wrong, I'd love to see a guy like Malhotra

Agreed. I thought after he came home he gained an extra gear. Just because you are cleared to play after an injury doesn't mean your 100% recovered which led to the early struggles.

The main question I have about Rod over the past two years has been some of his decision making with the puck. Too often times he would skate into the zone drop the puck back to a vacant point for a turnover or try to make too many passes across the middle after entering as well. Did the defenseman misread the play or the winger get neutralized? One too many times in my book. The point production for Rod appeared to get better with consistent lines in the stretch run.This leads me to the need for the winger for Staal.

We constantly juggled lines trying to find chemistry for Staal to get the main line scoring going. This ripple effect plagues all the other lines playing a contributing factor to Brindy's lack of production due to line chemistry. The budget is not going to allow for the top end talent necessary to acquire the winger for Staal unless there is a trade so it is more important than ever that they find the right lines and powerplay team combinations early in camp.

Yes if you are cleared to play it doesn't mean you're 100% recovered. If you average 21 to 22 minutes of time on ice then you are recovered. If not, then the blame goes on Brindy for allowing himself to bring the team down while he isn't fully recovered and obviously struggling. Especially as the Captain.

We were not only juggling lines for Staal but also to help increase the second line production. If you noticed the production changed when we reduced his minutes and moved him down to the 3rd line. We still moved guys around after they were consistent. The change was in TOI of players who were not producing. We can have the best winger on the first line for Staal and it won't make Brindy better. Rod is best when he averages less than 12 minutes a game and is used on key face-offs.

Even after all the early season drama, he put up 51 points, the majority coming on the 3rd line.

And at age 39, coming off the injuries of last year, should be where he remains this year, on the third line. If we get 50 points out of Rod as the third line center I'm feeling really good.

I also hope though, that if he is not bringing it, the right thing gets done.

That's the million dollar question. What will happen in that scenario.

And at age 39, coming off the injuries of last year, should be where he remains this year, on the third line. If we get 50 points out of Rod as the third line center I'm feeling really good.

I think "what you said" is what is going to be the difference in this team being good this year or not. We don't need a 3 million dollar 4th line center.

That's what I think. Maybe a Rat joins the party, but nobody else from outside. Hopefully, I'm wrong, I'd love to see a guy like Malhotra

Of course JR will fool you. When you least expect a move he makes one. I'm beginning to think if we make a move it will be for a 3rd or 4th line forward and not a top six.

The rumors are that Sens, Habs, Sharks and Bruins will all make moves next week or at least try.

Once the big boys are done moving we might have a better idea who is left and who is available on

a salary dump. But I won't be surprised if we go into the season with the team we have right now.

Where do you see Malhorta fitting in and who does he replace?

Of course JR will fool you. When you least expect a move he makes one. I'm beginning to think if we make a move it will be for a 3rd or 4th line forward and not a top six.

The rumors are that Sens, Habs, Sharks and Bruins will all make moves next week or at least try.

Once the big boys are done moving we might have a better idea who is left and who is available on

a salary dump. But I won't be surprised if we go into the season with the team we have right now.

If he can put up 50 points and skate third line all year we would be in pretty good shape.

If he can put up 50 points and skate third line all year we would be in pretty good shape.

That was discussed earlier, but to reiterate most agreed he would make a great addition to the team, but had too much talent to play the fourth line. But assumming Brindy centers the third line, that doesn't leave anywhere else to put him. Then there's the issue of Conboy and Ryan. But the way it's playing out he could be a cheap addition assuming the Babchuk saga is eventually resolved.

That was discussed earlier, but to reiterate most agreed he would make a great addition to the team, but had too much talent to play the fourth line. But assumming Brindy centers the third line, that doesn't leave anywhere else to put him. Then there's the issue of Conboy and Ryan. But the way it's playing out he could be a cheap addition assuming the Babchuk saga is eventually resolved.

Well then it would be insurance if Brindy can't play the entire season on third line and it would also let

"The Juice" move to wing. Conboy would then become odd man out. As for the Babchuk issue it is only a matter of time before it is worked out.