The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

That was discussed earlier, but to reiterate most agreed he would make a great addition to the team, but had too much talent to play the fourth line. But assumming Brindy centers the third line, that doesn't leave anywhere else to put him. Then there's the issue of Conboy and Ryan. But the way it's playing out he could be a cheap addition assuming the Babchuk saga is eventually resolved.

Well then it would be insurance if Brindy can't play the entire season on third line and it would also let

"The Juice" move to wing. Conboy would then become odd man out. As for the Babchuk issue it is only a matter of time before it is worked out.

Yes if you are cleared to play it doesn't mean you're 100% recovered. If you average 21 to 22 minutes of time on ice then you are recovered. If not, then the blame goes on Brindy for allowing himself to bring the team down while he isn't fully recovered and obviously struggling. Especially as the Captain.

We were not only juggling lines for Staal but also to help increase the second line production. If you noticed the production changed when we reduced his minutes and moved him down to the 3rd line. We still moved guys around after they were consistent. The change was in TOI of players who were not producing. We can have the best winger on the first line for Staal and it won't make Brindy better. Rod is best when he averages less than 12 minutes a game and is used on key face-offs.

If your playing 21 to 22 minutes after the injury it means you have no depth at center and Rod is to take the blame for playing hurt along with the organization for not getting the center depth earlier. It was a financial/development move that hurt the team to think Sutter could serve as one of the centers last year. We didn't gain any depth until the Jussi trade.

No a first line winger won't make Brindy better but it will minimize the amount of shuffling that goes on with the remainder of the lines thus improving some familiarity with where guys are going to be on the ice. We have a real financial problem if Rod can't regain some form.

In the world of the beer glass being half full I for one hope that it is a chemistry and a knee recovery issue with him last year cause most likely we are going to camp with the group we have now.

If he is productive at 12 minutes and key faceoffs I am good with that as long as he puts up points. He is the $3 million elephant in the room and we just don't know how its going to turn out yet.

If he is productive at 12 minutes and key faceoffs I am good with that as long as he puts up points. He is the $3 million elephant in the room and we just don't know how its going to turn out yet.

As mentioned in a previous post, the man put up 51 points in 79 games played last year, playing largely 3rd line minutes. I think some of us are cautiously optomistic that those numbers can be sustained with Rod on the third line. The "elephant in the room" scenario comes into play if and only if Roddy can't go on the third line. L

As mentioned in a previous post, the man put up 51 points in 79 games played last year, playing largely 3rd line minutes. I think some of us are cautiously optomistic that those numbers can be sustained with Rod on the third line. The "elephant in the room" scenario comes into play if and only if Roddy can't go on the third line. L

Brindy was second in time on ice per game only to Staal amongst the forwards at 18:58 per game.

Also it is notable that 24 of his 51 points were on the powerplay. 24 powerplay points are great...he can still be effective on the powerplay because it involves less movement...but he was a major liability at even strength.

Brind'Amour has been a great player in the league and is a Hurricane icon, but his time has come and gone.

Just doing a rough look at the stats, Brindy was about a -27 for the first half of the season and basically an even player the last half. Brindy looked really bad when matched up against the other teams better lines and defenders and was out of place in a transition game going up and down the ice. As he drifted down the lines, he evidently reached a level where he could contribute or at least hold his own which is no longer on a "scoring line". Points-wise, he put up decent points and as has been mentioned, quite a few power play points. No surprise there as there isn't as much skating.

Maybe 4th line minutes with time on special teams would work if he can't stick on the 3rd line. If the 4th line is Walker/Brindy/and K-stop, I think Mo may play them a bit more anyway. This uncertainty may be where a guy like Malhotra would fit in nicely, if the price is right. Malhotra is a guy that really should do well in a third line role. It may allow Mo to roll 4 lines pretty well.

I think some are over-exaggerating how ineffective Brindamour was last season or how much he has to overcome this upcoming season. Last season, he didn't have a good start, I don't think there's denying that. But after the Western roadswing, where the team sent him home and let him heal, he came back and played solid hockey for the remainder of the year. Even after all the early season drama, he put up 51 points, the majority coming on the 3rd line.

Theres no doubt Brindy had a solid season, especially considering his injury...but he ain't gettin any younger. Last season he looked flat out slow. He just cant move as fast anymore. He isnt going to be getting much better this season either, so dont expect a major bounce back.

Brindamour - 51 points - terrible year should retire now and save us the pain of watching him play?

Larose - 31 points - Career year sign him now we can't afford to lose him he should be captain(added that last part for fun).

Now I have made fun of Rod for being the slowest player on the ice for the last year but he isn't terrible, Right now he is still better than 50 percent of the players in the league, and he brings so many more things to the table than most do. I've said it before, he can play as long as he wants.

That's what I think. Maybe a Rat joins the party, but nobody else from outside. Hopefully, I'm wrong, I'd love to see a guy like Malhotra

I am hoping we see Malhotra in a big way, he seems to have good faceoffs stats and we don't which Brindy will show up at camp.

I think we sell the Roddy short until we see how things play out during training camp.

We talk so much about his age, but for his "age" he is still in better shape than many. He has been working out on the ice all summer---lets wait and see where he fits in the lineup. JR apparently plans to.

He has earned the right to be where he is, and I hope he can quiet the doubters! I, for one, am pulling for you, Captain !!

I think some are over-exaggerating how ineffective Brindamour was last season or how much he has to overcome this upcoming season. Last season, he didn't have a good start, I don't think there's denying that. But after the Western roadswing, where the team sent him home and let him heal, he came back and played solid hockey for the remainder of the year. Even after all the early season drama, he put up 51 points, the majority coming on the 3rd line.

IceFrog i love how you manage to like change everyones mind with this one post. lol

I would just like to point out that not once in the history of this board has icefrogs comments influenced mine in any way.

Not consciously influenced yours. :P

This just happens to be one of the rare occasions where the majority of the board and I find common ground. Brindamour was terrible in the beginning of the year, better after the roadtrip, and will provide an adequate 3rd line center assuming he keeps the play from the 2nd half of the year.

Not consciously influenced yours. :P

This just happens to be one of the rare occasions where the majority of the board and I find common ground. Brindamour was terrible in the beginning of the year, better after the roadtrip, and will provide an adequate 3rd line center assuming he keeps the play from the 2nd half of the year.

He/she doesn't understand the sublimfroggyisgreatinal nature of your postings!

As I have mentioned in this thread before, how Brindy returns is really the key to how the bottom half of the lines shake out. If he's ready to be the 3rd line center again, then I think we have:

Whitney - Staal - Ruutu

LaRose - Cullen - Cole (with the possibility that Cole and Ruutu could switch here)

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Jokinen

TKO - Ryan - Walker

With Conboy and Dwyer as extras.

I seriously believe this is the current scenario unless we somehow sign someone on the cheap or get a decent player in return for Babs.

If Rod can't play at 3rd line level, the lines likely shake out like this:

top 2 still the same

Samsonov - Jokinen/Sutter - Jokinen/Boychuk

TKO - Brind'amour - Walker

That is one expensive 4th line, and I think both Rod and JR didn't want Rod on the 4th line. If he's simply unable to compete for the 3rd line, he may hang up the skates.

I suspect we won't know until they all get on the ice, but with Rod's typical offseason program and the fact that he's healthy, I anticipate him coming back strong and being a 3rd line center/PP/PK/key face-off guy.

Just had to jump in...mostly to agree and to just add a thought or two...We all are entitled to our opinions, but I think that there is almost no way we will not see Roddy at 3rd line center this year...and that line is going to look pretty good too. First, I'm in total agreement w/Froggy in that Roddy looked much better in the 2nd half - even his decision-making improved (which I think was affected by "trying to do too much" with a still recovering body). While he didn't exactly shine in the faceoff circle during the playoffs, his overall play was solid. Second, I think that Roddy will get mid-teens minutes, playing on the 3rd line, taking key faceoffs, playing on the 2nd PP unit, and 1st PK unit. He will be in shape, recovered from his knee(s) issue, and will have lost the tentativeness that characterized his play (and made him look slower in all facets of his game). Thirdly, the line of Sammy/Brindy/Rosey will surprise with substantial scoring. They will be playing against a lot of "lesser" 3rd lines and will be able to take advantage of that. Roddy and Rosey are good on the cycle which should allow Sammy to dangle around the middle for opportune shots. It would not surprise me to see in excess of 130 points (perhaps closer to 150) coming from group.

I feel that all the "will he" or "won't he" discussions are nice and informative, but JR and his comments about Brindy and the 3rd line vs. 4th line aren't really germane. In the end Moe is going to make that decision and he needs Rod's on ice coaching to help him succeed. He won't get that w/Rod on the 4th line. Given Brindy's improvement during the 2nd half, I think its a pretty safe bet to assume that will continue.

Stepping into the "playing GM" role, I'm going to repeat myself and a hunch that I have. I think that a Samsonov/Babchuk with maybe a pick or prospect is probably on the table around the league right now. What we are actually looking for is really the bigger question. If that proposed trade were to take place I could see 2 scenarios coming about:

1. 4th line center + very good 2nd line winger (and maybe something else back)

or

2. 1st line winger + pick/prospect back

While I don't want to ignite the whole Babchuk saga again, he should be, and probably is, viewed as a pretty valuable asset. Sammy is a 50 point guy who could very easily be a 60 point guy. He's had two 70+ point seasons and in those where he played in excess of 70 games he's scored between 45 and 75 points. He's proven himself again that he can still put the puck in the net over the past year and a half.

Or the trade could go down for picks and prospects and one of the Rats takes Sammy's spot. And while I think this type of trade is out there, with all of the cap issues around the league, it would not surprise me in the least bit if no other team bit on it. I would be very comfortable going into the season with these lines:

Cole/Staal/Ruutu

Whitney/Cullen/Jokinen

Samsonov/Brind'Amour/LaRose

Walker/Ryan or Blanchard/Kostopoulos

Conboy/Spare Rat

Pitkanen/Ward

Corvo/Gleason

Alberts/Wallin

Carson or Rodney

Ward

Leighton

I could even seen Ruutu playing on the 2nd line and Whitney on the 1st (which would make a nice Finnish connection on Cullen's line). Regardless, my last comment is about Cullen. Hopefully he scores as many goals as last year, but really bumps up his assists numbers. In truth as a 2nd line center Cully should be in the 50 to 55 point range (30 to 35 assists). Quite frankly, if he doesn't get his coconut busted up this past year, he probably ends up right around 50 points. So I'll be watching Matt early in the season to see how his point production is shaping up....he could become a pivotal bargaining chip as the season progresses....just my proverbial two cents....

IceFrog i love how you manage to like change everyones mind with this one post. lol

Just to set the record straight here: As I remeber it was Remkin who led the charge against Brindy last year. A good many of us, including myself, never bashed the Captain and have been in agreement that his play improved after he was set down and sent home. So, no IceFrog factor at work here.

Just to set the record straight here: As I remeber it was Remkin who led the charge against Brindy last year. A good many of us, including myself, never bashed the Captain and have been in agreement that his play improved after he was set down and sent home. So, no IceFrog factor at work here.

I was with Remkin 100%. Ice Frog sometimes lives in La La Land but yes a good fan. Coastal & Frog rarely hop into a discussion thread unless its to protect their Brindy Baby. Its really sweet but Coastal I have to say this was the workings of IceFrog. It looks like Frog did some recruiting as well. :P

During the season there was about 10 or more on Remkin's side. However, those people are not paying attention to off season boards so we lack support. There is no way you can justify his 3 to 5 week improved stretch over the rest of the season. Look at the numbers of the TEAM when he was OFF the ice. That is my proof that we would do better with him on the 4th line getting 12 minutes or less per game. ;)

When is the last day a free agent can be signed? What about the last day for trades?

Some time next March...may this thread be dead before then. :P

I was with Remkin 100%. Ice Frog sometimes lives in La La Land but yes a good fan. Coastal & Frog rarely hop into a discussion thread unless its to protect their Brindy Baby. Its really sweet but Coastal I have to say this was the workings of IceFrog. It looks like Frog did some recruiting as well. :P

During the season there was about 10 or more on Remkin's side. However, those people are not paying attention to off season boards so we lack support. There is no way you can justify his 3 to 5 week improved stretch over the rest of the season. Look at the numbers of the TEAM when he was OFF the ice. That is my proof that we would do better with him on the 4th line getting 12 minutes or less per game. ;)

That's fine by me if that's what you think. I'm not trying to get another Brindy bashing thread going again this year. But, I'll take 51 points from a third line center, whoever it is. If you read the previous posts, most are wondering what will happen if Brindy, as you say, can't play the third line minutes and is forced into the fourth line. If you have an opinion about that I'm all ears. Whether he hurt the team last year is another topic all together, and one that's not up this point being discussed.

I can justify it. It's real simple. In the 28 games after being sent home from the Western roadtrip, he put up 22 points and was a +7, playing 3rd line minutes at even strength. Does that seem anywhere near the same Brindamour that was a -30 up to that point? Meanwhile, since you want to focus on how the TEAM played, the TEAM went 18-6-2 since that roadtrip, with Brindamour in the lineup. The TEAM went to the ECF, with Brindamour in the lineup.

He's still got plenty in the tank, if those final 28 games of the season are any indication. Putting him on the 4th line would be a waste of talent.

Because of the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde nature of Brindy's play last season and the simple fact that we have nothing else to talk about, this topic will not die.

Brindy started playing last season on maybe one leg. Because of injuries to others, he was forced to continue playing big minutes. Once he got a chance to heal a little and the coaching staff pulled him back a little, we saw a better Brindy. Now it was painfull to watch him at times skate into the zone 3 seconds after everyone else got there. By J.R.'s comments that Brindy won't be playing 4th line minutes, I'd have to assume that management is confident in a healthy Brindy being able to contribute on the 4th line.

Yes, I drank the Kool-Ade.