The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

JR spoke of Babchuk today:

Rutherford said he had a team call to inquire about Babchuk a few weeks ago, but said that team has not called back. Babchuk, a restricted free agent, has rejected the Canes' offer of a one-year, $1 million contract.

Nothing else was really stated. He did say he isn't in any rush to sign a free agent cause we have kids in the system who can take the spot out of camp.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/ruther...-set-on-defense

It is a sad fact that once knee problems start, they don't stop. Ligaments and cartilege continue to tear until total joint replacement is needed. It is my belief that it would take a miracle for Brindy to make it through the year without some sort of relapse. Yes, I know he's rehabbed it, but you only rehab the muscles. You can't rehab cartilege. Let's hope for that miracle. (Anyone who wants to disagree gets to have my next knee repair surgery. :P )

I can justify it. It's real simple. In the 28 games after being sent home from the Western roadtrip, he put up 22 points and was a +7, playing 3rd line minutes at even strength. Does that seem anywhere near the same Brindamour that was a -30 up to that point? Meanwhile, since you want to focus on how the TEAM played, the TEAM went 18-6-2 since that roadtrip, with Brindamour in the lineup. The TEAM went to the ECF, with Brindamour in the lineup.

He's still got plenty in the tank, if those final 28 games of the season are any indication. Putting him on the 4th line would be a waste of talent.

His performance in the 18 playoffs games was less than inspiring...even by his own account. He was given 3rd line minutes (including 2 minutes per game on the PP) but only produced 1 goal and 3 assists. His subpar balance produced many cringe moments and he was virtually non-existant in the checking department because you can't hit what you can't catch.

In fairness, the guy is in his late 30's and coming off knee surgury...I give him credit for coming back soon and battling through the season...but taking everything into account over the past few seasons, I don't expect much from him anymore.

If he comes out of camp and shows he can't handle it, then he should be playing on the 4th line. Until that happens though, he should be playing the 3rd line, and there'd be no reason to grab anyone else to replace him in that position until he proves he can't handle it.

As for his speed, obviously, it's not what it was even a couple seasons ago. However, if we're expecting him to be a defensive forward, speed's not a big factor. Madden (another perennial Selke nominee) isn't exactly speed personified. If we can get Brindamour to use his lack of speed to his advantage, by hanging back, play a little closer to the blueline, etc, then he'll be a fine player for at least another year.

Well since I was mentioned, allow me to sum up my past and present opinions on Brind'Amour.

First, the obligatory disclaimer: Rod Brind'Amour is and will be one of the most significant players in Hurricane's history. He did as much to bring us the cup as anyone. He is a future Hall of Famer, and I would like nothing more than for him to recapture some of that. I hope IceFrog is right as much as anyone does.

But, the man is 39 years old. He was slowing down before the knee injury. Despite scoring a decent number of points he still managed to be absolutely dead last in the league in +/- for much of the season, but continued to play second line despite clearly dragging the team down until finally JR and or Mo made the move to send him back on that west cost road trip. The team responded to the send back and demotion by turning their entire season around. Further, back two seasons ago before the knee injury the team was really floundering. Stillman and Commadore were traded, the team looked done. Then Brind'Amour goes out with the knee. The team responds by going on an unholy tear that was even better than this year.

Yes, Brind'Amour played better the last half of the year, though in the playoffs he had one goal, 4 points and a minus 5. The playoffs is when everyone ups their game a notch and a step slow is again more apparent. It is not clear what Rod will bring this year. No one knows.

Judging by last year, Brind'Amour still has the talent and if he can get a half of a step back he can be an effective 3rd line center. If he can't find that half step he could still be a 4th line center, though it doesn't really seem like that is something that JR wants.

My main concern is that if Rod doesn't have it, he is such a competitor that he will keep trying. JR and Mo have to act sooner this time if that happens. I hope it doesn't. If Brind'Amour can win some battles and keep his +/- in check to go with his scoring skills, and is a decent 3rd line center, we will be very good. I am a Hurricanes fan foremost and I want us to be very good.

Remember when considering how Roddy was used last season coming off the knee surgery-----we had two different coaches. And it may have taken Mo a little time to assess the situation, hence the sending him home to rest up, and less minutes the latter part of the season---equalled improved performance.

Remember.too, when we talk about "age", Whitney is only a year younger and A.Ward is not far behind. On this board it seems we are really quick to disparage our ageing players. (ie several years ago the huge discussions about Wesley. He couldn't log the minutes, but was a positionally sound defenseman to the end.)

I think we should start disparaging posters who are getting older. I'm thinking everyone with over 5,000 posts should have to sit out a week and recuperate from all the nonsensical posts that they make. We should also call up more young posters from the minors.

I think we should start disparaging posters who are getting older. I'm thinking everyone with over 5,000 posts should have to sit out a week and recuperate from all the nonsensical posts that they make. We should also call up more young posters from the minors.

:rolleyes:

:checks post count: whew

:checks age: :unsure:

Get offa my lawn, I mean rink!

:lol:

What a self serving post, oh ye of 74 posts.

If you throw that ball back over the fence one more time, I'm keeping it.

Its OK. One day we all grow up.

:lol:

In addition, with only 53 posts so far, my cap hit to this forum is quite affordable.

the last time i looked that meant that it would start out with a list of me, froggy, and Ref107. I think we are the only ones on here that meet your post criteria!! BUT Ref107 and Froggy are in their early 20's so hmmmmm.

dang nab it, I am calling the AARP, I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!! :P :angry: :angry:

the last time i looked that meant that it would start out with a list of me, froggy, and Ref107. I think we are the only ones on here that meet your post criteria!! BUT Ref107 and Froggy are in their early 20's so hmmmmm.

dang nab it, I am calling the AARP, I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!! :P :angry: :angry:

There you have it; you're twice as good as them.

You are calling yourself offensive? Freudian slip or did you mean offended?

Turn down that stuff you call music!

There you have it; you're twice as good as them.

You are calling yourself offensive? Freudian slip or did you mean offended?

correct as typed!! LOL

If you put your skateboard up long enough to post something that actually contributes here, maybe we will consider this. :rolleyes:

Remember when considering how Roddy was used last season coming off the knee surgery-----we had two different coaches. And it may have taken Mo a little time to assess the situation, hence the sending him home to rest up, and less minutes the latter part of the season---equalled improved performance.

Remember.too, when we talk about "age", Whitney is only a year younger and A.Ward is not far behind. On this board it seems we are really quick to disparage our ageing players. (ie several years ago the huge discussions about Wesley. He couldn't log the minutes, but was a positionally sound defenseman to the end.)

I know 39 is somewhere near "Ancient" when it comes to professional athletes.. But have you seen the man? I won't deny he's slowed down a step.. but Rod is in incredible shape, and by all accounts a 24 hour gym rat. I was shocked as anyone when he signed the 6 year contract, but injuries aside (and that's a "stuff happens" scenario.. it bites EVERYONE)... I think he's fulfilled his end of the bargain. He is also the ultimate team player, accepting 3rd and 4th line minutes to help the TEAM. I say let him play.

Give him his two more years, let him retire the Captain and raise the 17 to the rafters where it belongs. It will be ok.

I didn't know Whitney was almost the same age.. and at the top of his game no less.. Career year last year.. leading the team in points. You don't hear any calls for him to retire.. maybe because he's performing so well.

I didn't know Whitney was almost the same age.. and at the top of his game no less.. Career year last year.. leading the team in points. You don't hear any calls for him to retire.. maybe because he's performing so well.

Whitney doesn't hit and doesn't get hit. Lots less wear and tear.

If you put your skateboard up long enough to post something that actually contributes here, maybe we will consider this. :rolleyes:

glad someone other then me said it... cant get in trouble :)

I know 39 is somewhere near "Ancient" when it comes to professional athletes.. But have you seen the man? I won't deny he's slowed down a step.. but Rod is in incredible shape, and by all accounts a 24 hour gym rat. I was shocked as anyone when he signed the 6 year contract, but injuries aside (and that's a "stuff happens" scenario.. it bites EVERYONE)... I think he's fulfilled his end of the bargain. He is also the ultimate team player, accepting 3rd and 4th line minutes to help the TEAM. I say let him play.

Give him his two more years, let him retire the Captain and raise the 17 to the rafters where it belongs. It will be ok.

But would you be willing to forfeit the playoffs in order to let Brindy play out his contract? If he can't contribute adequately for his salary then he is taking a roster spot from someone that can. Not that I am suggesting it here but the biggest problem with some professional athlete's is they just don't know when it is time to hang them up (see Brett Favre).

But would you be willing to forfeit the playoffs in order to let Brindy play out his contract? If he can't contribute adequately for his salary then he is taking a roster spot from someone that can. Not that I am suggesting it here but the biggest problem with some professional athlete's is they just don't know when it is time to hang them up (see Brett Favre).

Pretty judgemental before even seeing what he looks like in camp. Not suprising though, you did say you I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!!

Pretty judgmental before even seeing what he looks like in camp. Not surprising though, you did say you I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!!

Well you do have to look at both sides of the issue, if we get back the Brindy of previous years then we will be in pretty good shape but if we get back the Brindy of last year then we have to do something that works for both sides (Brindy and the team).

Pretty judgemental before even seeing what he looks like in camp. Not suprising though, you did say you I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!!

I'd have to come to c97's defense on this one. You've got Brindy solidified in a slot before camp starts. He's just saying you don't know what Brindy's got left in the tank. I'd hardly call that judgemental, I'd call that open minded.

As for me, I think Brindy is going to be fine this year. Once again, I did drink the Kool-Ade (Canes red of course)