The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

It is a sad fact that once knee problems start, they don't stop. Ligaments and cartilege continue to tear until total joint replacement is needed. It is my belief that it would take a miracle for Brindy to make it through the year without some sort of relapse. Yes, I know he's rehabbed it, but you only rehab the muscles. You can't rehab cartilege. Let's hope for that miracle. (Anyone who wants to disagree gets to have my next knee repair surgery. :P )

I'll take you up on that if that means you're paying! I do disagree...cartilage and ligaments are completely different. Many athletes come back from torn ACL/MCL successfully, as well as cartilage. The cartilage once torn is just removed, the ligament is repaired. Cartilage has minimal impact in the short term. Granted one is likely not 100% in either case, especially when done at an older age, but I think "it would take a miracle" is overly pessimistic. Brind'amour is in ridiculous shape for his age (being slightly under his age, I am in awe). I think his biggest problem last year was he came back too quick and nobody stepped in to stop him. Friesen or Lavi should have pushed for more caution, but it's hard to tell a guy like that no.

We won't know until October, but I have to believe we will see the February-March Brindy, not the November-December Brindy.

Rod Brind' Amour's Career Stats:

1,404 NHL Games Played

443 Goals

722 Assists

1,165 Points (One of Only 73 NHL Players to Score 1,000 points)

2 Selke Awards

1 Stanley Cup

Not too shabby.

I'll take you up on that if that means you're paying! I do disagree...cartilage and ligaments are completely different. Many athletes come back from torn ACL/MCL successfully, as well as cartilage. The cartilage once torn is just removed, the ligament is repaired. Cartilage has minimal impact in the short term. Granted one is likely not 100% in either case, especially when done at an older age, but I think "it would take a miracle" is overly pessimistic. Brind'amour is in ridiculous shape for his age (being slightly under his age, I am in awe). I think his biggest problem last year was he came back too quick and nobody stepped in to stop him. Friesen or Lavi should have pushed for more caution, but it's hard to tell a guy like that no.

We won't know until October, but I have to believe we will see the February-March Brindy, not the November-December Brindy.

A big part of that problem is that we were fighting injuries early in the season. Think how much Helminen was playing early and then remove Brindy from the mix. He probably felt that he had to play.

Pretty judgemental before even seeing what he looks like in camp. Not suprising though, you did say you I ain't never been so offensive in all my life!!

C'Mon Now. It is no more judgemental then all the other c-rap posted on this thread about him being washed up before "ever seeing him in camp". :blink: If you look at this numbers late in the season as another posted and used that for a non-judgemental measure perhaps it would be better?

I'd have to come to c97's defense on this one. You've got Brindy solidified in a slot before camp starts. He's just saying you don't know what Brindy's got left in the tank. I'd hardly call that judgemental, I'd call that open minded.

As for me, I think Brindy is going to be fine this year. Once again, I did drink the Kool-Ade (Canes red of course)

I agree also, but with an injured 50% Brindamour we still pushed all the way to the ECFs.. Is one man on the roster gonna keep us out of the playoffs? Especially when we have added some grit and toughness to protect our scorers. We have to makings of a much better team this year, Rod included. You don't need guys to score 75 goals a year when you have a good defense, which I think is our major improvement this year. If we can reduce the SOGs, make Cam work less, we can win those 1-0 games.

Would i forfeit the playoff for 2 more years of Rod playing? No, of course not.. but I think we can still go deep into the playoffs with the team we have, even with Rod playing less then 100%. I think he will be better then last year and hopefully the injury bug won't strike again (knocks on wood).

Rod has shown he is the consummate professional and #1 team player.. if he thinks he is dragging the team down, he will step aside. The rush back from rehab last year was probably because we were in a deep hole and desperately needed him back.

I'd have to come to c97's defense on this one.

Everyone needs a good wingman, right? ;)

I'd have to come to c97's defense on this one. You've got Brindy solidified in a slot before camp starts. He's just saying you don't know what Brindy's got left in the tank. I'd hardly call that judgemental, I'd call that open minded.

As for me, I think Brindy is going to be fine this year. Once again, I did drink the Kool-Ade (Canes red of course)

Where did I say he was slotted in anywhere? Just thought it was pretty judgmental to suggest the guy should be ready to hang em up and doesnt know maybe when its time like Favre, I believe was the comparison. I dont know where the guy should play until I see what he has left in the tank and who he would work best with. See, no judgment there.

Where did I say he was slotted in anywhere? Just thought it was pretty judgmental to suggest the guy should be ready to hang em up and doesnt know maybe when its time like Favre, I believe was the comparison. I dont know where the guy should play until I see what he has left in the tank and who he would work best with. See, no judgment there.

I didn't think c97 was being judgemental, but I didn't see that who he had responded to wasn't you. I guess you weren't the judgemental one.

You want some Kool-Ade?

I know 39 is somewhere near "Ancient" when it comes to professional athletes.. But have you seen the man? I won't deny he's slowed down a step.. but Rod is in incredible shape, and by all accounts a 24 hour gym rat. I was shocked as anyone when he signed the 6 year contract, but injuries aside (and that's a "stuff happens" scenario.. it bites EVERYONE)... I think he's fulfilled his end of the bargain. He is also the ultimate team player, accepting 3rd and 4th line minutes to help the TEAM. I say let him play.

Give him his two more years, let him retire the Captain and raise the 17 to the rafters where it belongs. It will be ok.

I didn't know Whitney was almost the same age.. and at the top of his game no less.. Career year last year.. leading the team in points. You don't hear any calls for him to retire.. maybe because he's performing so well.

I think part of the reason he has slowed down so quickly is because of how hard he pushes himself. He was always one of the best fit players in the league for his whole career and it is not that far-fetched that all that working out and pushing himself is catching up with him much quicker as he ages. It seems to me once he was injured he pushed himself even harder to regain his form which just worsened his injury and slowed him down even more. He did play better after he was sent home from that road trip but his play in the playoffs was just as slow and lacked the grit that had been missing for 90% of the year. I would rather see the team be better than having Brind'Amour on the third line slowing down Jokinen/Larose/Samsonov. I think that was the main issue why he was taken off the second and third lines in the first place, he just can't keep up with our young wingers and it's hurting their play. He got most of his points on the Powerplay which is much less skating intensive and he could just focus on skill plays. I think our team would be much better off with Jokinen/Sutter/Ryan centering the third line. I think that Ryan could handle it and he should have a shot, he was the top goal scorer on the Rats last season even after missing 30+ of the games to join the Canes. He just hasn't had a real good chance on a 2nd-3rd scoring line to prove his worth.

Everyone needs a good wingman, right? ;)

Yeah, because somebody has to take the....nevermind.

Just keep poking me with that stick, would you. You of all people know what I'm capable of and, I'm a Postal employee.

Yeah, because somebody has to take the....nevermind.

Just keep poking me with that stick, would you. You of all people know what I'm capable of and, I'm a Postal employee.

Sorry couldnt resist, you hung yourself out there on that one.:lol:

I think Brindy's leadership has lacked since 2006, I think he can still play. But his volcano of desire for a cup is a camp fire now and it justs seems very obvious to me he doesnt have that same.... run over a small child and steal his ice cream cone for a cup desire.

How do I come to that, well....Brindy and his 50 points sits on the bench and we win games? That should be devastating...same with the season we were having when Brindy was playing good and then his knee injury and we go on a tear....thats supposed to cripple a team not make it better. To me, it says Staal is the better Captain right now. Will that happen... nope because you cant take the C from him, Staal cant lead with Brindy in the room.

Where did I say he was slotted in anywhere? Just thought it was pretty judgmental to suggest the guy should be ready to hang em up and doesn't know maybe when its time like Favre, I believe was the comparison. I don't know where the guy should play until I see what he has left in the tank and who he would work best with. See, no judgment there.

the comment wasn't so much directed at Brindy as it was at other athlete's that insist on playing past their prime. THOSE guys tend to force a business decision of what is good from the team vs what is good for yesterday's hero.

I think part of the reason he has slowed down so quickly is because of how hard he pushes himself.

Ummmm tell that to Lance Armstrong. :lol:

I think Brindy's leadership has lacked since 2006, I think he can still play. But his volcano of desire for a cup is a camp fire now and it justs seems very obvious to me he doesnt have that same.... run over a small child and steal his ice cream cone for a cup desire.

How do I come to that, well....Brindy and his 50 points sits on the bench and we win games? That should be devastating...same with the season we were having when Brindy was playing good and then his knee injury and we go on a tear....thats supposed to cripple a team not make it better. To me, it says Staal is the better Captain right now. Will that happen... nope because you cant take the C from him, Staal cant lead with Brindy in the room.

It will be Staal's team and at some point you have to hand him the reins. I haven't forgotten how good we played with Staal and the Rat Pack after Brindy went down, either a decision from Lavi or JR kept us out of the playoffs.

Just announced...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Rangers forward Nikolai Zherdev has become an unrestricted free agent after the New York Rangers walked away from his $3.9 million arbitration award. Zherdev scored 23 goals and 35 assists in 82 games for the Rangers last season.

Hockeyleaks speculates him going to the KHL....

Ummmm tell that to Lance Armstrong. :lol:

Lance isn't what he used to be either, all he could manage was 3rd in the Tour de'France. He's lost a step or a peddle or something. May as well put him down.

(sarcasm alert for those uncapable of understanding)

Lance isn't what he used to be either, all he could manage was 3rd in the Tour de'France. He's lost a step or a peddle or something. May as well put him down.

(sarcasm alert for those uncapable of understanding)

or maybe he blew a tire, is running a bit flat, can't peddle like he use to, is all Tour'd out!! :lol:

Well you do have to look at both sides of the issue, if we get back the Brindy of previous years then we will be in pretty good shape but if we get back the Brindy of last year then we have to do something that works for both sides (Brindy and the team).

While I believe Brindy wants to play out his contract, my expectation is that if he sees he cannot win 3rd line center at least then he may consider hanging up the skates. But we're not going to make the decision here and the decision isn't going to be made until training camp at the earliest.

While I believe Brindy wants to play out his contract, my expectation is that if he sees he cannot win 3rd line center at least then he may consider hanging up the skates. But we're not going to make the decision here and the decision isn't going to be made until training camp at the earliest.

I was not expecting one to be made until then.

The unfortunate thing is this will be about all we have to debate until training camp. Of course we can always diversify and talk about whether or not we'll get a winger for Staal. I'm sure J.R. and Mo are thankfull they have the wealth of hockey knowledge and input from us to make up for their complete lack of direction.

Brindy's status will work itself out during camp.

The unfortunate thing is this will be about all we have to debate until training camp. Of course we can always diversify and talk about whether or not we'll get a winger for Staal. I'm sure J.R. and Mo are thankful they have the wealth of hockey knowledge and input from us to make up for their complete lack of direction.

Brindy's status will work itself out during camp.

if they appreciate us so you would think the would give us the occasional shout out!! we work so hard at this!!

I just hope Brindy calls his own shot, this looks awfully close to the Dave Andreychuk situation a few years ago and I thought that ended kinda embarassingly for him.