The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

The unfortunate thing is this will be about all we have to debate until training camp. Of course we can always diversify and talk about whether or not we'll get a winger for Staal. I'm sure J.R. and Mo are thankfull they have the wealth of hockey knowledge and input from us to make up for their complete lack of direction.

Brindy's status will work itself out during camp.

we could talk about you and I trying out for the storm squad!! we are lighter than MeanGene and have more curves than the existing squad (not my fault that my curves are in all the wrong places - blame Dave Thomas)!!

I think we should start disparaging posters who are getting older. I'm thinking everyone with over 5,000 posts should have to sit out a week and recuperate from all the nonsensical posts that they make. We should also call up more young posters from the minors.

Post of the month

If you put your skateboard up long enough to post something that actually contributes here, maybe we will consider this. :rolleyes:

I don't have a skateboard, and as to contributions, what am I contributing to, wasting time at work? :o

I don't have a skateboard, and as to contributions, what am I contributing to, wasting time at work? :o

Exactly!! Do you know the paperwork I had to go thru to write myself up at work for wasting company time!! Good thing I am the CEO and President!!

Exactly!! Do you know the paperwork I had to go thru to write myself up at work for wasting company time!! Good thing I am the CEO and President!!

Only if I fire myself.

I do think you should take yourself in your office and give yourself a good talking to. I don't know why you tolerate such poor performance. Maybe you need to send yourself home for a day of reflection to see if you can get your act together.

Just announced...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Rangers forward Nikolai Zherdev has become an unrestricted free agent after the New York Rangers walked away from his $3.9 million arbitration award. Zherdev scored 23 goals and 35 assists in 82 games for the Rangers last season.

Hockeyleaks speculates him going to the KHL....

Glad we didn't go to arbitration with Ruutu. Both players had similar numbers so at least we saved a fair amount in the first year compared to what is considered fair market value.

I'd take Zherdev 1yr/3.9...he would be playing for a contract and is very talented. We need more scoring. The guy did have 58 points last year. Did anyone ever sign Prospal?

I'd take Zherdev 1yr/3.9...he would be playing for a contract and is very talented. We need more scoring. The guy did have 58 points last year. Did anyone ever sign Prospal?

just heard on XM Zherdev was asking for 4.7. NO thanks.

3.9 I'd do but 4.7??? Have a nice time playing for the Siberia Sleddogs. This might be one of those August deals that JR is looking for when the player realizes that he's not getting the kind of numbers he's hoping for and signs a short term deal to prove his worth. Wait it out and see what happens, I think this guy would be a great fit on our team...

Ruutu Staal Zherdev

Whit Cullen Cole

Samsonov Brindy/Jokinen LaRose

______ Sutter Walker

Well he can get 4.7 in the KHL easily thats why he think he's worth it. Pre-Salary cap he woulda got it to from the Rangers with no doubt... the team that signed Holik for 10 mil a year.

I get that Zherdev is the type of guy that would be happy playing in the KHL if they gave him more money. I'd be surprised if he takes less to stay in NA.

I get that Zherdev is the type of guy that would be happy playing in the KHL if they gave him more money. I'd be surprised if he takes less to stay in NA.

He knew the Rangers were not going to give him money, so he could have left for the KHL a while ago, like Hudler, and signed a big contract there. Since he's stayed all this time through the arbitration hearings, even though he knew the Rangers wouldn't pay him what he wanted, shows that he wants to stay in the NHL. I'm sure some team will throw the money at him.

He knew the Rangers were not going to give him money, so he could have left for the KHL a while ago, like Hudler, and signed a big contract there. Since he's stayed all this time through the arbitration hearings, even though he knew the Rangers wouldn't pay him what he wanted, shows that he wants to stay in the NHL. I'm sure some team will throw the money at him.

At this late in the process I am not really sure they will and Hudler didnt exactly leave very long ago to get a head start on it. Zherdev could show up a day before camp in the KHL and get that, that leagues desperate for talent. Zherdev, would make any KHL team a contender just like Zherdev on a AHL team would make any team a contender.

Since the Alberts thread has been locked, I will put my comments about him here.

After watching the first two Pens/Philly playoff games on NHL network, the guy reminds me a lot of Wallin but with a little more edge. He likes to play physical and will keep the crease clear but has problems getting the puck out and doesnt have a ton of speed. Basically, I'm just reaffirming everything we already thought about the guy. He's what this team needs but he isnt gonna shutdown any top lines.

Putting him on a line with Wallin could be problematic. But his physicality and willingness to clear the crease could go a long way if we find him a good partner.

At this late in the process I am not really sure they will and Hudler didnt exactly leave very long ago to get a head start on it. Zherdev could show up a day before camp in the KHL and get that, that leagues desperate for talent. Zherdev, would make any KHL team a contender just like Zherdev on a AHL team would make any team a contender.

Well Hudler signed his contract contract about a month ago, what was stopping Zherdev from doing the same? The Rangers offered him 3.2 million when he asked for 4.7, and he is well aware of the fact he could get more than 4.7 if he played in the KHL. Why hasn't he signed with a team there yet? He's had a while since he first started talking with the Rangers. This leads me to believe that he would rather play in the NHL. And from what I've read, the Oilers and Capitals are rumored to be interested in signing him.

He could make the Caps a scary good hockey team up front but I question how they are going to do this year on the other side...starting off with who will be the goalie? Let's just hope he sees the light and takes 3.9 for a year in lovely NC.

Not sure how we pick up 4 million in salary without clearing an equal amount in salary. The guy could be a first line winger and he is pretty good sized. Not my dream first liner, but it would make us better. He is definitely more legit on the first line than Cole. Just hard to see how we could pick him up.

Seems that the only way it is even possible to pick someone up for the first line would be to send someone (and their salary) the other way, probably 2. The Babchuk plus someone plus a pick option would seem the most likely, though that is seeming pretty unlikely at this point.