The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

He could make the Caps a scary good hockey team up front but I question how they are going to do this year on the other side...starting off with who will be the goalie? Let's just hope he sees the light and takes 3.9 for a year in lovely NC.

Varlamov will most likely be their goalie but he won't be nearly as amazing once everyone figures out his weaknesses and tendencies. There is no possible way they could pick up Zherdev without making serious cap moves though, they are currently $1-2 million over cap...

Varlamov will most likely be their goalie but he won't be nearly as amazing once everyone figures out his weaknesses and tendencies. There is no possible way they could pick up Zherdev without making serious cap moves though, they are currently $1-2 million over cap...

The only way the Capitals will get Zherdev is if they find a team dumb enough to take on Michael Nylander's contract.

Going out on a limb here with a bored-to-death-induced crazy idea...

1) Leave the team as it is

2) Play a good enough season to lock into a playoff spot

3) Trade for Kovalchuk at the trade deadline when Atlanta is far out of the playoffs and know they will lose Kovie to Unrestricted Free Agency anyway

4) Hello Stanley Cup

Kovalchuk would have to be crazy to sign an extension in Atlanta and he will probably be the hottest player around at the trade deadline, Atlanta will have to deal him to bring back something for him just like they did Hossa a few years back. He will be picked up by some team and that team will be amazingly set for the playoffs. Plus at that point we could afford him as we would only have to pay him for the remainder of the year (About $2 million or so) and usually about that time of year we are just about the only team in the league good enough to make the playoffs with that kind of cap room.

3) Trade for Kovalchuk at the trade deadline when Atlanta is far out of the playoffs and know they will lose Kovie to Unrestricted Free Agency anyway

4) Hello Stanley Cup

Kovalchuk would have to be crazy to sign an extension in Atlanta and he will probably be the hottest player around at the trade deadline, Atlanta will have to deal him to bring back something for him just as they did Hossa a few years back. He will be picked up by some team and that team will be amazingly set for the playoffs. Plus at that point we could afford him as we would only have to pay him for the remainder of the year (About $2 million or so) and usually about that time of year we are the only team in the league good enough to make the playoffs with that kind of cap room.

... JR, is that you?

I love it!

The only way the Capitals will get Zherdev is if they find a team dumb enough to take on Michael Nylander's contract.

sounds like a job for the edmonton oilers.

also...mark parrish is available still, cant command more than $1m. perhaps a decent wing option. may not be a perfect fit, just an idea.

4) Hello Stanley Cup

Kovalchuk would have to be crazy to sign an extension in Atlanta and he will probably be the hottest player around at the trade deadline, Atlanta will have to deal him to bring back something for him just like they did Hossa a few years back. He will be picked up by some team and that team will be amazingly set for the playoffs. Plus at that point we could afford him as we would only have to pay him for the remainder of the year (About $2 million or so) and usually about that time of year we are just about the only team in the league good enough to make the playoffs with that kind of cap room.

I felt a tingle go up and down my leg when I read this.

----------------

Now playing: Elton John - Ticking[/post]

via FoxyTunes

He knew the Rangers were not going to give him money, so he could have left for the KHL a while ago, like Hudler, and signed a big contract there. Since he's stayed all this time through the arbitration hearings, even though he knew the Rangers wouldn't pay him what he wanted, shows that he wants to stay in the NHL. I'm sure some team will throw the money at him.

Reading that reminded me a lot of the Babchuk situation. Wants more money to stay where he is, team won't give it up. Knows he could get the payday in the KHL but wnats to play in the best league in the world. Maybe Zherdev gets the money, maybe no one bites, and he eventually realizes he's not worth what he thinks he is.

Looks like Babchuk's "attitude" has killed even JR's chance to get a low draft pick in exchange for him... almost forgot he was 5th in goals amoung defensemen last season...

Maybe both these guys have some "soul searching" to do...

The "attitude" that doesn't exist? What's killed JR's chance of getting anything for Babchuk is JR's bashing of Babchuk to the media. If he had simply played it off as "The two parties can't reach an agreement and we are now putting his rights on the trading block", the whole process would have been done and over by now.

This is what confuses me about JR's handling of the whole situation. He had to have known that publicly lashing out against Babchuk and his agent would kill Babs's value on the market. Yet he claims he wants to trade Babchuk for a "fair value". Well, there's now two values for Babchuk out there. The 16-goal scoring, 25-year old defenseman, and the "Tickets for a plane to Russia", disaster in his own end failure of a defenseman.

Which one do you think would have given us more of a return?

The "attitude" that doesn't exist? What's killed JR's chance of getting anything for Babchuk is JR's bashing of Babchuk to the media. If he had simply played it off as "The two parties can't reach an agreement and we are now putting his rights on the trading block", the whole process would have been done and over by now.

This is what confuses me about JR's handling of the whole situation. He had to have known that publicly lashing out against Babchuk and his agent would kill Babs's value on the market. Yet he claims he wants to trade Babchuk for a "fair value". Well, there's now two values for Babchuk out there. The 16-goal scoring, 25-year old defenseman, and the "Tickets for a plane to Russia", disaster in his own end failure of a defenseman.

Which one do you think would have given us more of a return?

Thought we killed this horse. There is no way any of us can know what the inside poop is with the whole situation. What was said, not said etc. etc. Endlessly speculationg on who did what and how it could have been done better or differently is an acedemic exercise without any facts to go on.

I am amazed we keep grinding the "Babchuk Event" so thoroughly. But it is all we have left for Summer Hockey Doldrums so grind away.

If I were GM, I am still not happy with the situation in goal. I think Cam is one of the best around, but I don't have a lot of confidence in Leighton, and based on Cam's workload from last season, either does the coaching staff. I think JR needs to try to pick up a backup goalie that can win big games on a consistent basis, not just some guy that can give Cam a night off.

If I were GM, I am still not happy with the situation in goal. I think Cam is one of the best around, but I don't have a lot of confidence in Leighton, and based on Cam's workload from last season, either does the coaching staff. I think JR needs to try to pick up a backup goalie that can win big games on a consistent basis, not just some guy that can give Cam a night off.

I am ok with Leights but what is the point of having a backup goalie you don't play. if they aren't confident with him then they need to get someone they are confident in.

disclaimer: No goalies backup or otherwise were harmed in making this post.

Mike Murphy will be that guy next year but we're gonna half to grin an bear it for one more contract year of Leights. I think Leights might need more play time to get into a groove. Tough to come off the bench cold only so often.

Leighton wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either. He won a crucial game against the Sharks, and performed really well in the last game of the season, especially considering he hadn't played a full game in months before that.

If Murphy progresses as planned, he might get the backup role. If not, we've still got Peters, I believe. Might be better to have Murphy take over the fulltime starting goaltending in the AHL and have Peters as the backup.

I am ok with Leights but what is the point of having a backup goalie you don't play. if they aren't confident with him then they need to get someone they are confident in.

disclaimer: No goalies backup or otherwise were harmed in making this post.

I really wasn't overjoyed with the signing of Leighton last year because I thought we would be better served by having a veteran backup who was comfortable with their role. Leights was lights out in the AHL when he was playing every night and there was even talk on this board early in this season that maybe Leighton should be our starter at least until Cam figured it out. Early in the season Leighton did play well and I'm really unsure what happened that he lost the confidence of the coaching staff. I know we needed our best, but I think our best got over used.

The bad news is that J.R. isn't going to lay out big bucks for a franchise goalie (Cam) and have a big contract sitting at the end of the bench holding up a baseball cap. Leighton needs to get in enough to stay sharp.

Leights was lights out in the AHL when he was playing every night and there was even talk on this board early in this season that maybe Leighton should be our starter at least until Cam figured it out.

This was only because Cam is average at best. ;)

Mike Murphy will be that guy next year but we're gonna half to grin an bear it for one more contract year of Leights. I think Leights might need more play time to get into a groove. Tough to come off the bench cold only so often.

I've been saying this for the last two years, but unfortunately this is one thing the Org never changes. They expect Cam to play 35 games in a row and then they wonder why he's "too slow to make saves"... I've watched too many games where Cam is absolutely gassed.. he never gets a break.

Leighton would be plenty good enough as a solid backup if he got the chance to play more then 8 games a year. yes, he played several games in a row during an injury to Ward and he didn't perform too well, but that's not his job.

They've ridden Irbe like a dead horse.. Rode Weekes to death.. and Gerber and now Ward.. it never changes. Irbe could handle 82 games a season, the rest of these guys couldn't, but I don't see this pattern changing anytime soon. Leighton will never be able to be a starter anywhere else since he doesn't even have any experience as a backup. Leighton was a good pickup but they've ruined him.

I really don't think Leighton was "ruined" by anything this organization did. The last time he played anywhere near the 19 games he played this past season was the 34 games he played for Chicago, and he put up pretty much the same stats. Leighton's a backup and that's pretty much all he's going to be. He could start on a team that's in desperate need for goaltending (Colorado), but he's never going to be one that a team is going to want to hold onto.

I don't see the problem with the amount of games Ward played last season. It's about on par for a starting goaltender, and his stats weren't negatively effected by the amount he played. And considering he won 57% of the games he played, while Leighton only won 31% and this team needed every win to make the playoffs, having Ward play less games seems counter-intuitive.

Well there really is nothing to talk about so here goes. Leighton needs more games to show what he can do. The Cam is average at best "winky winky" line is so worn out it is painful to read, but it actually does prove a point.

Cam was average at best. That's the annoying thing about all the nudge-nudge, wink-wink on the "average at best" line.

Clearly Cam is no longer average at best. With rare exceptions after Cam and the team made the move towards the end of the year, I can't remember any soft goals. But they happened regularly before that. Cam found his game and at the end of the year was one of the top goalies in the league. There is speculation on an injury in the Pittsburgh series for Cam, and maybe without that he wins another Con Smythe. But for the two years we missed the playoffs and half of last year Cam was actually below average by many measures and soft goals were the norm for long stretches. Now he has found elite level consistency, which will hopefully continue, but..

This elite level that Cam has found took how many NHL starts? And how many NHL starts had Leighton had? How can anyone really know how good Leighton could be until he sees more action? No one knows, is the answer. Leighton wasn't good in the AHL he was lights out all world. Cam is the man now. He has found his game, but it would be really good to give Leighton a legit back up role this year. He might surprise.

Here' another thought. If part of the Pittsburgh loss was Cam playing injured, imagine if Leighton had played enough games to roll him out there rather than an injured Cam?

In addition, we are about to pay for (Ward, long term) a number one goalie who is expected to get this level of work and perform. The circumstances we put ourselves in didn't allow Leighton to give Ward too many breaks down the stretch. So, I think we are fine going into this season with what we have. Hopefully, we won't be in the same hole in December as last year. As Frog mentioned, Leighton will never be anything but a backup, but he wasn't terrible either, and we have Murphy if the need arises.

In addition, we are about to pay for (Ward, long term) a number one goalie who is expected to get this level of work and perform. The circumstances we put ourselves in didn't allow Leighton to give Ward too many breaks down the stretch. So, I think we are fine going into this season with what we have. Hopefully, we won't be in the same hole in December as last year. As Frog mentioned, Leighton will never be anything but a backup, but he wasn't terrible either, and we have Murphy if the need arises.

Yeah, I think we'll be fine with Leighton as backup IF he gets enough work to stay sharp. I would have rather had a veteran in that role, but the die is cast and we have what we have. Cam is going to get paid to be a workhorse and hopefully he will hold up to the workload. I felt kind of bad for Leighton because early in the season when he was getting the chances was when 2/3 of the defense was hurt.