The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

i would never do that... but to keep this GM related....Leighton is a decent backup for the price and playing Ward as many times as we did I think helps him stay on streaks. Cam was not very good when he got 'rested' every 8 games he lost his momentum when we did that.

This year, more than last year, will be important for Leighton. If we intend to play Ward like we did last year we could be in trouble... that is if Ward makes Team Canada and plays during the Olympics. Think about it. If we want Ward to play roughly 70 games, AND he plays for team Canada for 2 weeks (assuming they go deep) Ward could play IN EXCESS of 80 games! If the Canes go far in the playoffs, no doubt he will gas out.

I think it's nice to think Ward would start for Canada but Luongo and Broduer are still ahead of him.

Your the page 100 winner!

If I were GM, I wouldnt even consider reading this thread :lol:

disclaimer: No memberss were singled out in this post. But hey, my post count increased by 1 again.

Yeah, unless Brodeur or Luongo completely tank the first half of this upcoming season, they're going to be the top two there. Aside from that, there's no guarantee Ward would be the 3rd goalie. Fleury winning the Cup no doubt helped his chances.

If Ward was picked, he'd only get playing time when the Canadians find themselves in a desperate situation. His "clutch" factor far outweighs the other two, at least in the view of the general hockey world.

Yeah, unless Brodeur or Luongo completely tank the first half of this upcoming season, they're going to be the top two there. Aside from that, there's no guarantee Ward would be the 3rd goalie. Fleury winning the Cup no doubt helped his chances.

If Ward was picked, he'd only get playing time when the Canadians find themselves in a desperate situation. His "clutch" factor far outweighs the other two, at least in the view of the general hockey world.

I wouldnt be sad if Ward gets overlooked cause Id rather have him focused on the job here in Raleigh. Its nice he gets some recognition but he's not gonna beat out Luongo or Brodeur. Maybe Brodeur.

Back to the topic; if Im JR, I wouldnt want my horse playing in the olympics but being named to the team is cool.

Thought we killed this horse. There is no way any of us can know what the inside poop is with the whole situation. What was said, not said etc. etc. Endlessly speculationg on who did what and how it could have been done better or differently is an acedemic exercise without any facts to go on.

I am amazed we keep grinding the "Babchuk Event" so thoroughly. But it is all we have left for Summer Hockey Doldrums so grind away.

My original post was not intended to revisit the Babchuk saga. I was merely comparing his situation to Zherdev's in respect to playing in the KHL. It was reported on Spector's Hockey maybe two weeks ago, that it's believed Babchuk is seeking $3 mill a season. I don't know the validity of that claim..

I was just pointing out, that both the players reportedly want much more than their market value, and that they COULD get the money they are seeking from the KHL, but they want to continue playing in the best league on Earth.

As for Leighton, I haven't seen enough of him to give an honest opinion about what I believe he's capable of. But I do think that a great deal of credit for the improvement of Ward's all-around game should go to Tom Barrasso.

besides doesnt Canada play each goalie once in prelims so basically Ward gets several days off either way. With that goalie lineup does it matter who you play against whatever oddball team makes the top 12 this year. I cant remember how it works, I just remember some weird team making it last time and getting slaughtered.

I am not sure the US does that, we sure dont have the goalie depth we used to. Richter, beezer, hextall.... man those were the days.

Thomas...Dippi who may never play again...Dunham if he even still plays.... ugh...wheres my paperbag with holes in it?

I don't envy any GM around the league, it's a tough spot when you are paying the guys the money they get and they go play for another team. Don't get me wrong i completely understand playing for your country but at the same time you have to remember whom is paying your Bills. I myself liked it alot better when the "NON NHL" players were the ones making up the Teams!

I am not sure the US does that, we sure dont have the goalie depth we used to. Richter, beezer, hextall.... man those were the days.

Thomas...Dippi who may never play again...Dunham if he even still plays.... ugh...wheres my paperbag with holes in it?

You forgot Miller, and he's definitely good enough to start some games.

Too bad Kaiton got the call wrong. It was LaRose to Staal.

I guess it makes up for Forslund and Tripp mistaking Gleason for Seidenberg during the Jokinen goal in the same game though.

Too bad Kaiton got the call wrong. It was LaRose to Staal.

I guess it makes up for Forslund and Tripp mistaking Gleason for Seidenberg during the Jokinen goal in the same game though.

I've laughed about that for months, in a good way!

Yeah......come on guys. Let's get back to talking about Anton Babchuk. :lol:

WHO ?

Just read Prospal has signed with the Rangers. I think If I am GM I might think I let this one get away from me. He can skate wing and play center and he signed (if true) for just 1.1 mil for 1 year.

Yeah......come on guys. Let's get back to talking about Anton Babchuk. :lol:

WHO ?

Just read Prospal has signed with the Rangers. I think If I am GM I might think I let this one get away from me. He can skate wing and play center and he signed (if true) for just 1.1 mil for 1 year.

I think he wants to play for the Rangers and cut a deal for them given thier cap room honestly. I dont see him just signing for 1.1 anywhere when he just left that poophole of a Lightning team.

I think he wants to play for the Rangers and cut a deal for them given thier cap room honestly. I dont see him just signing for 1.1 anywhere when he just left that poophole of a Lightning team.

Point taken. Playing in "The City" has its advantages. I hope he doesn't think of us the same way he might think of Tampa.

Point taken. Playing in "The City" has its advantages. I hope he doesn't think of us the same way he might think of Tampa.

I'd hope not, but despite the Rangers not always being that great playing in Madison Square Garden can be a perk in it's own right.

A lot of TV exposure, commercial opportunity and a fun town. If you can make it...oh never mind!