The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I'm pretty sure the 3 million number was coming from D-berg's camp, not Babchuk's. At least, that's what was being thrown around on HF. As far as I can tell, Babchuk's camp hasn't thrown out a number, other than it's got to be more than the 1 million JR offered him.

Who said anything about 3 million, I said 3 YEARS. Babchuk wants a long term deal and I just don't think he's going to find a team that is going to be willing to give him 3 years. Vancouver was interested in him, for a 1 year deal, but he wants long term.

Who said anything about 3 million, I said 3 YEARS. Babchuk wants a long term deal and I just don't think he's going to find a team that is going to be willing to give him 3 years. Vancouver was interested in him, for a 1 year deal, but he wants long term.

Coastal's the one who said 3 mil.

From the outside looking in, it appears to me JR has cut his own throat on this one. But, that's just how I see it. When will this end?

When he gets a job elsewhere or we gets tired of talking about it(doubtful). :blink: Whichever comes first.

Not sure what is meant by "cutting his throat" in regards to Rutherford. Its not like Babs is a superstar or something. If he was worth whatever he is asking he would have been snatched up by now. You would think the Russian superleague would have tried to sign him by now. Or perhaps he likes it in the US too much.

Disclaimer : No Russians were harmed in the creation of this post response.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-...to-move-babchuk

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford says he has one offer in hand for defenseman Anton Babchuk.

"But it's one I'm not totally comfortable with," he said today.

Then there's another team, he said, that is showing a lot of interest in working a trade.

"They've walked me through the situation," Rutherford said, "but they don't seem to be in a hurry to make a firm offer. We'll have to see if that team moves forward."

But either way, Rutherford said, he expects a deal involving Babchuk to be completed before training camp begins later this week. Rutherford has said he would like to pick up a young defenseman in return.

"I'm hopeful," he said. "There's a chance of it happening this week."

Babchuk, a restricted free agent, was offered a one-year, $1 million contract by the Canes but refused.

So JR's got an offer, but he's not happy with the return. Then there's another team that shows interest, but has no offer on the table. And then there's the whole "It's resolved by this week" thing he brought up a month ago when Kaberle was bought out.

I predict JR will refuse the offer already out there, the team showing interest won't actually make an offer, and JR will claim the deal fell through.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-work-to-move-babchuk' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-...to-move-babchuk[/post]

So JR's got an offer, but he's not happy with the return. Then there's another team that shows interest, but has no offer on the table. And then there's the whole "It's resolved by this week" thing he brought up a month ago when Kaberle was bought out.

I predict JR will refuse the offer already out there, the team showing interest won't actually make an offer, and JR will claim the deal fell through.

He's probably asked for a prospect whom the team didnt want to part with and they offered someone less intriguing. So he goes to the media and says there is more than one team interested, whether there is or not, no one knows. He holds all the cards.

He's probably asked for a prospect whom the team didnt want to part with and they offered someone less intriguing. So he goes to the media and says there is more than one team interested, whether there is or not, no one knows. He holds all the cards.

This is the way I see it also. But, does JR settle for the bag of pucks or is this just more positioning?

This is the way I see it also. But, does JR settle for the bag of pucks or is this just more positioning?

I'd settle from some hard candy and a few cans of Potted meat. uh- huh.

Just kidding. JR will Git er Done!

I think its more positioning at this point. Teams are running out of time to fill what they may see as weak links on their team, desperation is setting in. JR has a former 1st rounder who is young and put up good numbers last year. If it was me, I wouldnt take a bag of pucks aka a player who is far from a guaranteed NHLer. The worst thing that could happen is Babchuk is forced to go back to Russia in which case he cant score any goals against the Canes, I wonder if this has influenced JR's thought process.

I'd settle from some hard candy and a few cans of Potted meat.

Are you really going to set me up with a statement like that? It's a good thing Smilin' Bob is on hiatus until Sept. 18.

With Joni out for a little while do I now look for another Dman just in case or do I ride the first part of the season with a Rat.

With Joni out for a little while do I now look for another Dman just in case or do I ride the first part of the season with a Rat.

I'm just calling up a Rat.  We have a couple who are ready (?) and frankly I don't have to money to sign anybody else.  If it gets long and drawn out or if the doctor finds a surprise, maybe.

I knew it wouldn't be long before Babchuk made an appearance on the new board.

I must admit the same thought crossed my mind.  Very funny... but I'm with superdave

(if that's his real name) stick with a Rat.

Just wanted my first post on the new board not to be about the first line winger. Actually this would be a great time to bring up a rat. They all get to fight it out in camp and whoever looks best gets to roll with the big boys for a while.

On the flip side, Pitkanen is a very crucial player. Clearly the coaches see him as our most crucial defenseman since he logs the most minutes as he did with the Oilers. His style seems to lead to some critism, but on balance he is our best. Hope he's back soon.

Pitkanen is crucial to our top four. Knee injuries always scare me. I don't care how simple the problem seems to be.

But if all goes well Pitkanen should be back in mid to late October. I think Jay Harrison might have a shot to earn a spot.

We would need a Rat also as a 7th D-man. 

Could be Harrison or Carson. Both are in the training camp group A, ie they are both doing training camp with the veterans. Rodney on the other hand is practicing with group B, the rookies. Strange, since not too long ago JR said Rodney was essentially on the team unless he looked horrible at camp.

I forgot JR saying that about Rodney.  It will be interesting to see who steps up in training camp.

Whoever it is going to get tested early I think.  It's just to bad about Joni. I really was looking forward

to seeing the new D from the start. As long as he gets back early and healthy we should be alright.

With all the media hype and teams not wanting to give out injury info it's hard to tell what to believe. But with that said i think our Rats will do just fine if they are called up!

I can't believe the management has split the training camp into a vetran and a probable rats group. That is so discouraging to the rookies and worse off having vets and rookies together allow rookies to see what it takes to be a pro, and compare themselves to the vets to see what it is they need to improve on.

I think the mananagement should allow some rookies like boychuk, bowman and sutter a chance (even tho there pretty much handcuffed with old vets now). But in something I read it said these 3 would make most other NHL teams but instead they are not being given a chance. I loved sutter at the start of last year, he was one of our best players. But then MO came in and played him maybe a shift or two a period, making it very hard to create any momentum or really be in the game.

I can't help but wonder how these rookies feel when all these older players are signed, really giving them no cance, with JR saying last year how all 3 of those would probably fill roster spots this year

I can't believe the management has split the training camp into a vetran and a probable rats group. That is so discouraging to the rookies and worse off having vets and rookies together allow rookies to see what it takes to be a pro, and compare themselves to the vets to see what it is they need to improve on.

I think the mananagement should allow some rookies like boychuk, bowman and sutter a chance (even tho there pretty much handcuffed with old vets now). But in something I read it said these 3 would make most other NHL teams but instead they are not being given a chance. I loved sutter at the start of last year, he was one of our best players. But then MO came in and played him maybe a shift or two a period, making it very hard to create any momentum or really be in the game.

I can't help but wonder how these rookies feel when all these older players are signed, really giving them no cance, with JR saying last year how all 3 of those would probably fill roster spots this year

The roster is pretty much set so these guys don't have a big chance of cracking it anyway.  They will get a chance at call ups due to injury.  Sutter did play well but he needs the developement time for both his game and his frame (he's still a skinny kid).  The only reason he wasn't with the Rats all last season is because he was too young for the AHL (crazy rule).  I think management wants to develope the veterans chemistry and also the prospects chemsitry for Albany.  These guys don't need to be rushed into a position too soon like say, Andrew Ladd was.

Camp is not about the needs of the rookies but the needs of the team. In the past these have been somewhat overlapping

It has 2 primary functions:

1. Get the team ready to start the season

2.  Evaluate new talent to A.  Make the team  B. See where they will fit at the affiliate level and establish a pecking order for call ups at a later time.

Since we do not have much if any roster flexibility they rookie squad needs to be segregated.  This is a good thing as for the first time I can remember we actually have  a prospect pool.  No need for them to get discouraged because if they do that will expose a needed trait.  The need to be hungry and driven to succeed.   It appears Boychuk really wants to stick and when he gets a chance will do everything he can to show he belongs. I bet he plays all 4 preseason games and if he can show somehting in them might find a way to sneak in.

IMHO as always.

Not even Babs going back to Russia can stop this thread.  If Sutter earns a stop on the team out of training camp who do you
trade or sit to make room for him? JR says if Sutter makes it it won't necessarily be on fourth line. My guess is it will be either Cullen, Brindy or Jokinen.  Jussi is hurt right now but since he can skate both center and wing I don't think it will be him.

Even if Sutter starts the season with the Rats it appears he is about ready to make the leap.