The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Personally, I think this is all talk. It is very motivating to know you have someone behind you who is capable and ready to take your spot the second you falter. If there are no injuries, Sutter gets to tear it up in the AHL and wait for someone to get hurt or falter.

Personally, I think this is all talk. It is very motivating to know you have someone behind you who is capable and ready to take your spot the second you falter. If there are no injuries, Sutter gets to tear it up in the AHL and wait for someone to get hurt or falter.
Personally I think it is a little more then just talk but I think talk is a part of it. What better way to motivate your vets then letting them know the kid is on your heels. But the question is if Sutter makes the Canes as GM who do you trade or sit. 

I guess they could sit Conboy and put Sutter in, then play around with the line combos, maybe even try him at wing. I don't see it happening (barring injury) because I'd think you want to try to establish chemistry early on without mixing up the lines every night, and Mo has said as much.

I suppose they could have Conboy as 7th D and keep Sutter up. There definitely is some scoring potential on that line with Yelle and Kostopoulos, and I think they're hoping to balance out the time on ice and roll 4 full lines. Having Sutter in the mix might help. Any idea if Yelle has spent any time at wing?

Damn, we are loaded!

I guess they could sit Conboy and put Sutter in, then play around with the line combos, maybe even try him at wing. I don't see it happening (barring injury) because I'd think you want to try to establish chemistry early on without mixing up the lines every night, and Mo has said as much.

I suppose they could have Conboy as 7th D and keep Sutter up. There definitely is some scoring potential on that line with Yelle and Kostopoulos, and I think they're hoping to balance out the time on ice and roll 4 full lines. Having Sutter in the mix might help. Any idea if Yelle has spent any time at wing?

Damn, we are loaded!

A nice problem to have being loaded with forwards. I really don't know if Yelle has spent much if any time at wing. I get the feeling he is  going to be our fourth line center and we aren't going to mess around with trying him elsewhere. I think Sutter could probable skate wing but is better at center.

If Sutter is making this team then someone (maybe two) is getting traded. Don't see it. As mentioned before, our roster is set. No one is cracking it baring a string of injuries. The only other exception would be if Brind'Amour just can't find that step and retires. But I don't see that happening at this point. If Sutter and or Boychuk look devastatingly good in camp maybe JR makes a trade to free up some salary, but I would not bet on it. The young guns will get their chances as the season goes on and the inevitable injuries come.

If Sutter is making this team then someone (maybe two) is getting traded. Don't see it. As mentioned before, our roster is set. No one is cracking it baring a string of injuries. The only other exception would be if Brind'Amour just can't find that step and retires. But I don't see that happening at this point. If Sutter and or Boychuk look devastatingly good in camp maybe JR makes a trade to free up some salary, but I would not bet on it. The young guns will get their chances as the season goes on and the inevitable injuries come.

You and JLP are probable right. The team is most likly set with the veterans. But if Sutter is doing that well it isn't like he hasn't been here before.  If he does start out with the Rats I don't think it will be long before he gets the call to Raleigh.

Training Camp can also be used to play your younger so that they not only get experience but also to increase trade value. I don't see any of our young forwards getting traded. I don't think the GM is hyping up Sutter's play to put pressure on the veterans. I listened to the game last night and heard the interviews. Sutter played well and was very strong and it wasn't until later the Rutherford made his statements. I believe if Sutter wins a spot we will trade an older forward. Who or what and how I don't have a clue. Looking at the data it would point at Brind'Amour but he doesn't have a lot of trade value. I think trading Cullen would be ridiculous but could happen. I'm just glad to hear Sutter is doing well. Everyone says he needs to beef up but last night he stood strong against some NHL players.

Yeah, I think it's a stretch to assume Sutter could crack the lineup out of camp, regardless of JR's comments.  No way we make him a healthy scratch, and I don't see JR making any moves at this point.  What's great is his on ice improvement from last year.  Like others have pointed out, he will play for the big club this year.  In the meantime, let him season with the Rats.

[quote name='RedSox-n-Canes wrote:

remkin']

Training Camp can also be used to play your younger so that they not only get experience but also to increase trade value. I don't see any of our young forwards getting traded. I don't think the GM is hyping up Sutter's play to put pressure on the veterans. I listened to the game last night and heard the interviews. Sutter played well and was very strong and it wasn't until later the Rutherford made his statements. I believe if Sutter wins a spot we will trade an older forward. Who or what and how I don't have a clue. Looking at the data it would point at Brind'Amour but he doesn't have a lot of trade value. I think trading Cullen would be ridiculous but could happen. I'm just glad to hear Sutter is doing well. Everyone says he needs to beef up but last night he stood strong against some NHL players.

I'm with you about not trading our younger forwards. They really are our future next year.  Do you remember if Sutter skated wing last year when he was with us or just center?

Yeah, I think it's a stretch to assume Sutter could crack the lineup out of camp, regardless of JR's comments.  No way we make him a healthy scratch, and I don't see JR making any moves at this point.  What's great is his on ice improvement from last year.  Like others have pointed out, he will play for the big club this year.  In the meantime, let him season with the Rats.
I just did a little checking and since Sutter played the 10 games last season, this season does count as one of his entry level years.  That tells me that if he shows that he has the talent and J.R. can pull off a trade of some kind to rid the team of a forward (and cash) we may see Brandon this season.  I also think that the team would rather have him playing big minutes in Albany rather than being on the 4th line or a healthy scratch (I agree that he won't be a healthy scratch). 

The only likely canidate I see for a trade to clear room for Sutter is Cullen.  I like Cully but his contract is reasonable and he's in his last year.  A team with a key injury needing a center may jump at a chance for Cullen but moving him would hurt the PP and that is bad as it is.  Jussi's contract is too good and Brindy's age and contract are going to make him a tough trade and that's about it for centers.  The catch would be if Sutter is ready to center the 2nd line. 

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Yeah, I think it's a stretch to assume Sutter could crack the lineup out of camp, regardless of JR's comments.  No way we make him a healthy scratch, and I don't see JR making any moves at this point.  What's great is his on ice improvement from last year.  Like others have pointed out, he will play for the big club this year.  In the meantime, let him season with the Rats.

I just did a little checking and since Sutter played the 10 games last season, this season does count as one of his entry level years.  That tells me that if he shows that he has the talent and J.R. can pull off a trade of some kind to rid the team of a forward (and cash) we may see Brandon this season.  I also think that the team would rather have him playing big minutes in Albany rather than being on the 4th line or a healthy scratch (I agree that he won't be a healthy scratch). 

The only likely canidate I see for a trade to clear room for Sutter is Cullen.  I like Cully but his contract is reasonable and he's in his last year.  A team with a key injury needing a center may jump at a chance for Cullen but moving him would hurt the PP and that is bad as it is.  Jussi's contract is too good and Brindy's age and contract are going to make him a tough trade and that's about it for centers.  The catch would be if Sutter is ready to center the 2nd line. 

Your scenario makes a lot of sense but that is a big leap from AHL to second line center.  When JR said Sutter had a real chance to make the Canes roster he also said and that doesn't necessarily mean as a fourth line center.  The next two exhibition games will be fun to watch (listen) to.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

super-dave-1']I just did a little checking and since Sutter played the 10 games last season, this season does count as one of his entry level years.  That tells me that if he shows that he has the talent and J.R. can pull off a trade of some kind to rid the team of a forward (and cash) we may see Brandon this season.  I also think that the team would rather have him playing big minutes in Albany rather than being on the 4th line or a healthy scratch (I agree that he won't be a healthy scratch). 

Your scenario makes a lot of sense but that is a big leap from AHL to second line center.  When JR said Sutter had a real chance to make the Canes roster he also said and that doesn't necessarily mean as a fourth line center.  The next two exhibition games will be fun to watch (listen) to.

I agree that it's a big leap, but I can't see how J.R. could move Brindy at his age and 2 years a many millions left on his deal.  Of course that's only IF Sutter really impressed.

Trading Cullen would be a very bad move. I do not see that happening. Even if Sutter does look good, he is unproven. The last thing we need to do is trade another proven producer. We absolutely will not trade any of our yutes. That would be even worse than trading Cullen.

The ugly truth is that the only one that would make sense to move would be Brind'Amour, since the third line is clearly the place JR is suggesting Sutter would go, but how does that happen now? It doesn't. Thus, there is no place for Sutter at this time.

As the season progresses and injuries occur or certain players don't produce, then a move could be made. Probably a third line guy or something with Brind'Amour. If Brind'Amour brings it, then there is no place for Sutter barring injury.

Trading Cullen would be a very bad move. I do not see that happening. Even if Sutter does look good, he is unproven. The last thing we need to do is trade another proven producer. We absolutely will not trade any of our yutes. That would be even worse than trading Cullen.

The ugly truth is that the only one that would make sense to move would be Brind'Amour, since the third line is clearly the place JR is suggesting Sutter would go, but how does that happen now? It doesn't. Thus, there is no place for Sutter at this time.

As the season progresses and injuries occur or certain players don't produce, then a move could be made. Probably a third line guy or something with Brind'Amour. If Brind'Amour brings it, then there is no place for Sutter barring injury.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating trading Cullen.  If Sutter is going to play the top 9 and at center that's the only possibility I see without scratching Brindy.  If Brindy plays poorly then he will be un-tradeable.  If Brindy plays well then there's no point in trading him.  Staal isn't going anywhere and Yelle is going to be on the 4th line.  Who else does that leave if Sutter moves up?

remkin']Trading Cullen would be a very bad move. I do not see that happening. Even if Sutter does look good, he is unproven. The last thing we need to do is trade another proven producer. We absolutely will not trade any of our yutes. That would be even worse than trading Cullen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating trading Cullen.  If Sutter is going to play the top 9 and at center that's the only possibility I see without scratching Brindy.  If Brindy plays poorly then he will be un-tradeable.  If Brindy plays well then there's no point in trading him.  Staal isn't going anywhere and Yelle is going to be on the 4th line.  Who else does that leave if Sutter moves up?

Exactly. Sutter doesn't move up.

Maurice seemed to go out of his way to comment on what a good NHL player Sutter is going to be. I think that managment is saying these things to let Sutter know that they see his improvement and he is a big part of the future, before they send him to develope some more in the AHL.

I will say this though, at risk of flaring things up. If Brind'Amour is not able to compete, this would be a logical spot for Sutter if he is truely ready. What to do with Brind'Amour if this should occur is a whole thread in it self.

As you mention though, if Brind'Amour can compete we will need to stay with him.Then it will depend on Sutter doing well when he gets the call due to injury. I just can't see trading Cullen. I think Cullen breaks out this year.

Is it completly out of the question that Sutter couldn't play wing?

If so, I'm thinking Walker takes Conboy's spot on the 4th with Yelle and Kostopolous. And Sutter slides in next to Brind'Amour on the 3rd and Brind'Amour becomes his mentor, like Francis was to Staal.

Is it completly out of the question that Sutter couldn't play wing?

If so, I'm thinking Walker takes Conboy's spot on the 4th with Yelle and Kostopolous. And Sutter slides in next to Brind'Amour on the 3rd and Brind'Amour becomes his mentor, like Francis was to Staal.

Conboy is already a scratch when everybody's healthy.  Walker would be on the 4th line with Yelle and Kostopolous.  You still need to make room to insert Sutter.

So I think that perhaps we're missing the point....Sutter, sure he might be able to play wing, but that's not where he's going IMHO.  I think that we all forgot where our boy Matty played during the Cup year.  He played a bunch on Staal's wing, and I think that's where he would play if Sutter makes the team.  Young Brandon center's a line w/our Finns (or Ruutu and Whitney).  I think that the man on the outside looking in then becomes Samsonov.  Pretty decent year last year, perfect 3rd line scoring threat who is going to have a heck of a year this year (again, IMHO).  So that means the lines might look like:

Cullen/Staal/Cole

Whitney or Jokinen/Sutter/Ruutu

Jokinen or Whitney/Brindy/LaRose

Kosto/Yelle/Walker

Cullen has a great shot, is a pretty fair passer, and has the speed to keep up w/that top line.  Whitney or Jokinen then become 2nd line snipers w/Brandon and Tuomo doing the dirty work in front of the net.  We also then still end up w/a killer 3rd line. 

I'll agree this is a good problem to have....but it is still a big IF for Sutter to make the team out of camp.

Man are we getting carried away. Sutter had 4G 8A in 23 games in Albany, 1G 5A in 50 games with the Canes. I am sure, based on JR and Mo's comments that Sutter is going to be a solid NHL center, and I'm sure he has improved, but second line center? No, it will not happen now, maybe later, not now. Third line or Albany. It will be Albany baring injury.

Man are we getting carried away. Sutter had 4G 8A in 23 games in Albany, 1G 5A in 50 games with the Canes. I am sure, based on JR and Mo's comments that Sutter is going to be a solid NHL center, and I'm sure he has improved, but second line center? No, it will not happen now, maybe later, not now. Third line or Albany. It will be Albany baring injury.
Totally agree.  If there was a way to get him on the 3rd line maybe, but I can't see how that can happen.

remkin']Man are we getting carried away. Sutter had 4G 8A in 23 games in Albany, 1G 5A in 50 games with the Canes. I am sure, based on JR and Mo's comments that Sutter is going to be a solid NHL center, and I'm sure he has improved, but second line center? No, it will not happen now, maybe later, not now. Third line or Albany. It will be Albany baring injury.

Totally agree.  If there was a way to get him on the 3rd line maybe, but I can't see how that can happen.

You know you are both probable right. If your GM the smart move is to send Sutter to Albany and get him some work on a scoring line knowing if your team falters or someone is injured you can call him up. But this is the best topic since Babs bought his ticket for Russia.

I still think Sutter is getting the hard look and has a chance to make roster.

If Sutter makes the team, the only player I see being moved is Sergei Samsonov. That would open up the left wing on the third line, perfect for Sutter. Sutter can play center and wing, and just as Samsonov, shoots right so you have the same handedness in the position. Samsonov is ultimately what is holding back some of our prospects from playing the NHL, others have said this too. Also, moving Sutter onto the team will likely result in his placement onto the PK. If so, you dont have to have Staal or Cullen centering a PK unit.

Yelle / Kosto

Sutter / LaRose(?)

Possibly one of the better PKs in the league.

Moving Samsonov makes sense for a couple of reasons beyond being able to let Sutter move up onto the team. For one, it will take 2.5 million off the books this year and another 2.8 next season allowing more freedom for moves later in the season and more salary next off season to sign the 17 free agents we will have. Furthermore, teams in the NHL are looking for a veteran winger that can still contribute. Case in point, Nashville - In the running for Kessel, lost out to the Maple Leafs. They are still looking for that scoring punch.... Move Samsonov to Nashville for that defensive prospect we were supposedly after with Babchuk and both teams are happy.

Just a thought.

By the way.... Those who say lets move Cullen, its not going to happen. We have found out, there is no replacement for Cullen on the Hurricanes. Letowiski wasn't the answer, Hamilton wasn't the answer.... Cullen was, and will for ever be, the answer.

I think its a ways off, but at what point should we bring up some of the young guns? My guess is the only way we do that is if the injury bug hits. Ryan is still injured with a concussion I believe, and we are deep at center so that leads me to believe Sutter is a long shot. Perhaps Boychuk could be the first call up?

Cant find the rumor thread so Ill post this here: Spector reports the Panthers might shop Nathan Horton.

I realize we just started the season and Cole is out so deciding what the team needs to do is a little premature, but there seems to be little talk on the boards since we have changed formats and I'm taking it upon myself to stir up some trouble.

We have a lot of contracts expiring at the end of this season - Walker, Wallin, Cullen, Whitney, Corvo if I remember correctly. Wallin and Walker have no trades. What can we do to add some offense to the team? Surely Kovalchuk would be a nice addition, but realistically what trades could JR go after?

I can see Williams coming back here if he has a decent season with the Kings, who seem to be doing well so far. Rumors are they are looking for offense just like us, so not sure who we could offer up. So far Williams has 2 goals and 5 assists.

We went after Patrick O'Sullivan but got Cole instead last season, perhaps he is another candidate.

The Stars are reportedly looking for a puck moving blueliner, perhaps Corvo could end up there? At least that way we wouldnt have to play him more than once a year. Whether or not Corvo gets traded depends a lot IMO on how much he actually likes playing here. He seems to like being in a market where he is allowed some privacy and where the media is less fanatical. Surely he is looking for a pay raise next season however, which may force our hand.

Thoughts?