The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Cant find the rumor thread so Ill post this here: Spector reports the Panthers might shop Nathan Horton.

I realize we just started the season and Cole is out so deciding what the team needs to do is a little premature, but there seems to be little talk on the boards since we have changed formats and I'm taking it upon myself to stir up some trouble.

We have a lot of contracts expiring at the end of this season - Walker, Wallin, Cullen, Whitney, Corvo if I remember correctly. Wallin and Walker have no trades. What can we do to add some offense to the team? Surely Kovalchuk would be a nice addition, but realistically what trades could JR go after?

I can see Williams coming back here if he has a decent season with the Kings, who seem to be doing well so far. Rumors are they are looking for offense just like us, so not sure who we could offer up. So far Williams has 2 goals and 5 assists.

We went after Patrick O'Sullivan but got Cole instead last season, perhaps he is another candidate.

The Stars are reportedly looking for a puck moving blueliner, perhaps Corvo could end up there? At least that way we wouldnt have to play him more than once a year. Whether or not Corvo gets traded depends a lot IMO on how much he actually likes playing here. He seems to like being in a market where he is allowed some privacy and where the media is less fanatical. Surely he is looking for a pay raise next season however, which may force our hand.

Thoughts?

OK I'll play.  I think it is to early to be talking trade but I think doubts are starting to grow. If you saw Mo's interview last night between periods you could see (or at least I think I saw) some doubt creeping in that the team may be not exactly what he expected it to be. So I think if I'm GM I keep my eye out for a possible deal.

I can't see Corvo as part of an early trade. If we get near the break or trade deadline and the team is going nowhere then I would think it is a possibility. Right now our defense is fragile and Corvo is a consistent player.  What we will look for (IMO) is a swap of forwards. I could see us giving up two forwards for one scoring forward in return and bringing Boychuk up to fill the open spot.

It is inevitable a Rat or two gets called up this year but I think the plan is to leave them together as long as possible in Albany. This Rat team is our future and I think the more ice time they get together in Albany the better off we will be next year.

I  think we are about 10 games away before we hit the panic button.

I usually don't like to over-react in times like this, if this team doesn't turn things around on the road I think I'd try to pull the trigger on some kind of trade just to shake things up.  Maybe the players need to know if they continue as they have been doing that they may need to pack their bags.  It's either that or the coach and I don't see J.R. sending Mo packing just yet.  I don't know what's do-able on the trade front so I'm really just talking out of my backside.

Cough, cough...first line winger...cough, cough.

Rumor has it that the Kings might be willing to part with Frolov, JR has had his sight set on Frolov for a couple of years now, just hasn't been able to get him into the fold. That might be the first line winger that could propel Staal and get this power(less) play rolling. It's a shame that our team is behind Atlanta and Tampa Bay in the standings! I think its time for a wake-up call!!! Let's GO CANES!!!!!! A two for one player swap would be the only way we could get Frolov, but it would be worth trying? I think JR might be thinking up something as we speak. At least, here's to hoping! We can't afford to lose points this early in the season!!! Later.

Well, you can argue that one of the reasons we didn't do as well in the conference finals was because eric staal didn't have that malkin-like linemate to play with. So, I think right now that is the main problem. We have lots of guys that can be good on a night or so, and no offense to the likes of cullen, whitney, samsonov, walker, larose, cole, it seems that none of them are quite at that level that staal needs them to be at so that it will work. So... who to trade? I'm the last one that would let any of those guys go... because I love all of them in Canes jerseys, so I won't decide that. I will decide though, that Horton from florida would certainly be nice. Maybe our crafty GM could steal somebody from Chicago, because I believe that they are probably going to have issues signing kane, toews, etc at the end of the season. So yeah, kane or toews or sharp or someone from their would work out nicely for staalsy. or... we could acquire jordan staal. or, is there another Finn out there? I don't think it would be good to pull the trigger to soon, but if we get into the first week or so of november and it gets more miserable... there's nothing more we could do.

Yea it's a lil early for jr to make a trade. I say Cole has to come back for a few weeks before that happens. That's why I think December is the earliest something happens no matter how bad we tank. And that's pretty bad right now.

Clearly I think we need a first line winger to have any real legitimacy as an elite team. I have also noted several times how this team has gradually lost scorers since the cup, and would have trouble scoring this year.

Lost:

Stillman, Williams, Prime Brind'Amour, Prime Cole, even Babchuk (not even counting Weight or Recci).

Justin Williams currently has 2 more points than anyone on our entire team.

We have a lot of very good complementary players, but really only one who can drive the offense, Staal, and one who can do it occasionally, Cole. But what? Cole is out and Staal is playing hurt. There is just no one left who can really consistently create offense.

Our one legit perennial all-star forward has 2 points in 7 games (and zero assists).

This team is going to struggle to score until they get a legit 1st line winger, but it shouldn't be this bad.

If you take out the Florida game where the Panthers never really showed up, this team is averaging 1.3 goals per game.

Even Cam isn't going to win many game with that kind of offensive support.

Despite all of this, I don't see JR making a trade any time soon. The need for a first line winger was evident last year also, and unless you think Eric Cole is a first line winger, he didn't address it back then either. Turned out pretty well, so I can't really complain, but I just can't see how he could pull it off now. How could we pay for it? Are there many teams that would trade a star forward for 2 of our third liners?

I could see a call up, say Boychuk, and letting a vet visit the press box, but a trade in the near future is very unlikely.

If Staal gets his groin right, we can get better, and with Cam playing the way he is, that could be good enough. We seem to be moving the puck better through the neutral zone and Cole will help some when he gets back and Pitkanen makes us better. Still, someone has to actually put the puck in the net soon or  it will get ugly, or should I say stay ugly.

Time to make our move on Frolov....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295401

As for Nathan Horton - I would love, love, LOVE to see him in a Hurricanes jersey. They guy can do everything and anything, but its not going to happen. Trading a player like that within the division you have to be smoking some really good stuff. Furthermore, Patrick O'Sullivan (Saw his name mentioned earlier) will never play with the Hurricanes so long as his dad lives in North Carolina. The child abuse Patrick suffered from his father is well documented.

I think we need a strong 2nd line center. Someone who is consistent and could play the 1st line. A 1st line winger would be nice but not as important as another STRONG FAST CENTER. I say we trade Cullen, Sammy and Bowman for a solid 2nd line center. 

Horton would be a very ironic choice, given the fact that he was drafted right before Staal was... in other words it would probably work out!
Horton drafted before Staal??  Only Fleury was drafted ahead of Staal in '03.

Its not too early IMO, look at what Boston already has done. Obviously they weren't happy or satisfied so a trade was made. So why not us?

JR did find Stillman and Williams, hugely successful moves for our eventual cup. He also rented Weight and Recci, the final pieces to the puzzle that year. All 4 of those guys were legitimate scorers. That year we had WAY more offensive talent than we have now (in addition Brind'Amour has aged, and Cole has not been the same guy since his neck injury) and of course Weight and Recci moved on. That's 6 guys with legitimate scoring talent that have been in effect replaced by third liners. That's not just figuring out the rules faster, that was a lot of talent. Then we lost Babchuk, which may be best I guess, but that's more goals gone.

Thus the obvious need for an offensively skilled playmaking first line winger with proven point producing ability. The problem is that these guys are hard to come by. They are generally well-known names with big contracts. It seems highly unlikely that JR will be able to make a deal for a guy like this until rental time rolls around. I thought he might have made a move for a guy who had produced in the past but struggled for a year, like say Tanguay, but I guess that guy for us is Cole. But Cole, even in his prime is not a great playmaker.

Anyway what we need is a player with the skills to play on the first line. That's it. We don't need different third or 4th liners, our defense is find, and Cam is great. We need a guy who can create some offense and work off of Staal. Unless someone of this caliber gets very disgruntled, I don't see how we can get them before rental time. Has JR ever simply ponied up for the really big free agent? The Hossa's and Heatley's and Gaborik's of the world don't end up in Carolina. That just the way it is.

However, if we can make it to rental time, we are perhaps the perfect rental type team. Add that one piece for a push later on, then restructure by calling up 3-5 rats for next year, dumping a lot of salary, and pick up one long term first liner for Staal with the salary dumped. That could be very intriguing. If the wheels come off completely, JR may make that move this year.

Our glaring need is a first line winger and that is probably not coming unless we are in the running at the deadline.

I think Horton would be a really good pickup if possible.

I bet JR is scratching his ,,,,,,,  um ,,,head. What was i thinking???

If I were GM today....

I'd get on the horn to Albany and tell Jeff to put Sutter, Bowman, and Boychuk on a plane headed to Colorado for Friday night's game.  I'd sit 3 Canes and two of them would not be Yelle and Kostopolous.  I'd do this for Friday and Saturday's games.  Light a little fire.  Tick a couple of guys off.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a couple of guys who aren't performing and send a message.  Let the yutes get a taste.

It's too early to throw anybody under the bus or hit the panic button (keep an eye on it though) but a message needs to be sent to the team.

If I were GM today...

I might call Jeff just to see who might be ready if, and it is still an if , we needed to call a Rat up. I would begin to evaluate possible trades and again only evaluate at this point. What I would be most interested to see is how the Canes respond in the Colorado game.

The Canes showed a little better game late against the Islanders . Can they build on that or will they fall flat on their (pick a body part)

when they play a red hot team. 

If I'm GM I am still watching but watching very closely. This team could improve or fall apart. I think the situation is that serious. But we have turned our team around before.

If I were GM today...

I might call Jeff just to see who might be ready if, and it is still an if , we needed to call a Rat up. I would begin to evaluate possible trades and again only evaluate at this point. What I would be most interested to see is how the Canes respond in the Colorado game.

The Canes showed a little better game late against the Islanders . Can they build on that or will they fall flat on their (pick a body part)

If I'm GM I am still watching but watching very closely. This team could improve or fall apart. I think the situation is that serious. But we have turned our team around before.

I agree. We are slumping but we showed some life last night. We keep missing a lot of opportunity in front of the net. Its not that we are bad...just not catching the breaks. Basically I think they team needs to WAKE UP! They are slowly coming together and once they do we will be average. Haha sad but true.

Calling up a Rat is a good idea before a trade. However, I think we should never let Sammy shoot first in a shootout. He had absolutely 0 confidence when he skated toward the goal.

IT'S TIME TO BRING UP THE BOYS FROM ALBANY !!!!!!!!  HOW MANY GOALS IS CONBOY CONTIBUTING ????  SEND HIM DOWN !!!!!  PUT BOYCHUK & BOWMAN WITH STAAL. SIT WHOEVER ISN'T SCORING. YES, WE DO NEED A 4TH LINE.....PUT SUTTER WITH THE 4TH LINERS. SIT THE NON CONYTRIBUTERS !!!!!!  SEND A MESSAGE NOW.

IT'S TIME TO BRING UP THE BOYS FROM ALBANY !!!!!!!!  HOW MANY GOALS IS CONBOY CONTIBUTING ????  SEND HIM DOWN !!!!!  PUT BOYCHUK & BOWMAN WITH STAAL. SIT WHOEVER ISN'T SCORING. YES, WE DO NEED A 4TH LINE.....PUT SUTTER WITH THE 4TH LINERS. SIT THE NON CONYTRIBUTERS !!!!!!  SEND A MESSAGE NOW.
Welcome to the boards.  Not really a fan of the all caps thing, as most aren't.  So you are suggesting we send players with a 1-way contract to play for the Rats?  Aint gonna happen.  We get a Boychuk, Bowman, or a Sutter because of injury, a trade, or a waiver that makes room on the roster for them.  

If I were GM today...

Yep, I agree for the most part.  But I just don't see JR pulling the trigger on anything anytime soon.  At least not until Cole gets back and has a chance to play awhile.

you don't bring sutter up to play the fourth line, we didn't draft him in the first round because we were looking for a forth line center (there are tons of those in the league and at cheaper prices).  if we can't bring him in to center the second or third line then it is better for him to center the top line in albany.