The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Part of the reasoning for pulling the trigger last summer was he was going into a contract year and we thought he would have a breakout year commanding $6mil or more and we didn't want to be in that "sweepstakes".
I know that has been said, but then there's the fact that Cole (or his agent, I imagine) approached the team last summer to see if they wanted to work on an extension - and the team opted not to have that discussion. So they had the opportunity to avoid that situation, if that had been the only concern.

I know that has been said, but then there's the fact that Cole (or his agent, I imagine) approached the team last summer to see if they wanted to work on an extension - and the team opted not to have that discussion. So they had the opportunity to avoid that situation, if that had been the only concern.

with the exception of Eric Staal, JR doesn't normally do extensions and Cole's agent as far as I know never approached JR about it. They have always waited until the contract was up and played hardball.

It is normal operating procedure with JR to NOT discuss contracts until they are up. Irbe tried to renegotiate his after the '02 run and was told NO! That started his downward spiral with JR.

I can't find documented anywhere where Cole's agent spoke with the team last summer about an extension.

Cole mentioned it in an interview shortly after the trade, saying that because of that, he figured something may be up as far as being traded.

I have heard that they don't discuss contracts during the season, but that's the first I've heard that they don't generally do extensions. Interesting to know. Still, even if it is standard practice not to, they did have the option.

Cole mentioned it in an interview shortly after the trade, saying that because of that, he figured something may be up as far as being traded.

I have heard that they don't discuss contracts during the season, but that's the first I've heard that they don't generally do extensions. Interesting to know. Still, even if it is standard practice not to, they did have the option.

yep, but if your name isn't Staal or Cam Ward (or possibly Sutter) then he waits until the contract is up and signs you to a new deal. the only other person i can think of that got an extension was Brindy.

we have always had takers for Cole so I am not sure where you get it that JR was trying to unload him for a while, you might be confusing him with Kabs. The Cole situation was all about maximizing the return.

Part of the reasoning for pulling the trigger last summer was he was going into a contract year and we thought he would have a breakout year commanding $6mil or more and we didn't want to be in that "sweepstakes". By trading him last summer we got the maximum value in return (Pitkanen). Luckily for us Cole had a real mediocre year so the likelihood of big dollar contracts evaporated before his eyes.

My thought is JR will likely offer in the neighborhood of $2-3mil with a NTC and 3+ years.

It was reported in the N&O after the Cole for Pitkanen trade, that JR had been trying to move Cole for quite some time.... frankly, I think the neck injury that had scared away potential trade partners.

reading the sports section (of the N&O) front to back is part of my daily "ritual" and has been for eons but i have never read anything that supports your statement.

I really don't get this love for Cole that some have expressed. If I'm JR, I look real hard at moving him. Watching his rush down the wing is like watching the movie Groundhog Day. Same move, same result, same turnover. At some point you have to score some goals.

I really don't get this love for Cole that some have expressed. If I'm JR, I look real hard at moving him. Watching his rush down the wing is like watching the movie Groundhog Day. Same move, same result, same turnover. At some point you have to score some goals.

Cole is a UFA as of July 1st, if we do nothing then he is off the payroll. I would like to see him back but not at his past $4mil.

I have gotten to where I don't even expect Cole to score anymore on those break aways. I see other things he brings to the table like his grit and finishing checks on a regular basis. He does open up the ice for Staal. I wouldn't mind seeing him back next year but only at a much discounted amount than 4 mil.

Here's an opinion from a guy with Cole in his sig, went to the same college as Cole, followed his career from his freshman year in college, and grew up 15 miles away from him, so you can be sure to throw my comments in the virtual crapper without reading them if that makes me automatically biased in your eyes, don't even bother to read...

No one was yelling at him during the playoffs more than me, after all, he's my guy. And it was frustrating to watch his lack of production during the postseason campaign. However, you kinda have to look beyond the numbers to understand the "why's".

I can't believe he was not playing hurt, and this is before the knee issue. I've watched him for years, he is ultra competitive, and all of a sudden his speed is at 80%. So you have to wonder why. If you conclude, "he didn't care" or "he wasn't trying hard enough" you might also conclude that Roddy was also suffering from a lack of motivation. And that would be ludicrous.

Does he still have it after the neck injury? He never played better than just before the neck injury. He's never been back to that level. No one can deny that. So you'll just have to play GM and figure out if he is playing as good as he ever will, or if he's not back from it yet. The thing JR has that we don't is, a lot of info from coaches, training staff and Cole himself. Without knowing that stuff, I can't see how we can accurately assess where his potential is. We can't bring it up on NHL08 and see "95%" by it and realize that he's not peaked yet.

So the argument is basically, do you need his type of player and can you get him for cheap enough. I don't know, I've been watching the finals and it's back to clutch and grab city. In order to interfere effectively, you need to get into position to do so. Speedy power forwards are going to be a necessity. Those suggesting "keep Ruutu, lose Cole" have to figure out what would be wrong with having 2 of these guys. I might be wrong, but I think that's what JR means about getting bigger, and why he says "Cole is a player we like".

No way he can command 4M a year after those playoffs, but he has already implied that he'll take less to stay here.

One last thing. I have a friend that says, "JR's single favorite activity in the world is to low-ball Cole". I always laugh, but here we are again. He'll lowball him, he has plenty of reasons to justify it. I'm sure that if he does stay here, it will be for considerably less. And if that happens, I would wager that the average fan will end up praising the move before its over.

Just my $.02, and it's worth about that much on the open market.

what Cole can and should ask for that cost JR nothing at the bank is a NTC and extra length on the contract. that would work best for his family.

Why in the world would we give a long-term deal with a NTC to a declining, 30-year old power forward? Are we looking for another anchor contract that will hamstring us when it comes to signing more important players?

Why in the world would we give a long-term deal with a NTC to a declining, 30-year old power forward? Are we looking for another anchor contract that will hamstring us when it comes to signing more important players?

in exchange for a lower contract.

in exchange for a lower contract.
...And if he continues to decline, then we have virtually no way of getting rid of him. The Walker, Wallin, Kaberle and Brind'amour contracts should teach us to STOP giving long-term deals to players on the decline or soon to decline. Erik Cole since the lockout has gone from .99PPG to .85 to .7 to .53.

In his last 31 playoff games he has scored 0 goals and recorded just 5 assists.

Time to walk away from him unless he's willing to take a one-year deal on the cheap to prove himself.

...And if he continues to decline, then we have virtually no way of getting rid of him. The Walker, Wallin, Kaberle and Brind'amour contracts should teach us to STOP giving long-term deals to players on the decline or soon to decline. Erik Cole since the lockout has gone from .99PPG to .85 to .7 to .53.

In his last 31 playoff games he has scored 0 goals and recorded just 5 assists.

Time to walk away from him unless he's willing to take a one-year deal on the cheap to prove himself.

I'd give him 2 yrs cause we can always use some of the $ we'll be saving by sending Babs back to Russia. :lol:

If Cole asked for a 3-5 year deal with a NTC for less money, say 3 million, I let him walk.

if he would sign for $2 - 2.5mil for that term with a ntc i would sign him no problem. he contributes more on and off the ice than most of you would give him credit for. large fan base, just like rosie.

Cole will get something around 3 years totaling 8.25M. I agree with Hag65, something wasnt right with him during the playoffs whether it was just wear and tear, a significant injury or mental fatigue from a long arduous season. The physical brand of hockey he plays will definitely take a toll through his career but to say his play is heading downhill fast at 30 years old is silly.

Cole will get something around 3 years totaling 8.25M. I agree with Hag65, something wasnt right with him during the playoffs whether it was just wear and tear, a significant injury or mental fatigue from a long arduous season. The physical brand of hockey he plays will definitely take a toll through his career but to say his play is heading downhill fast at 30 years old is silly.

So, do you offer Cole a longer and more lucrative contract than Rosey? If we do sign Cole, I would rather it be a 1-year deal, but we all probably agree he wouldn't take that offer. So, it will be interesting to see how things play out. I hope we start to see that this week.

So, do you offer Cole a longer and more lucrative contract than Rosey? If we do sign Cole, I would rather it be a 1-year deal, but we all probably agree he wouldn't take that offer. So, it will be interesting to see how things play out. I hope we start to see that this week.

I don't agree with your assessment, he would be worth a longer deal with a NTC for a reduced $$$. The lower dollar amount the easier they are to move. And yes I would offer him more than Rosey, Cole brings more to the table. What Rosey brings is work ethic, he doesn't have the size or the speed of Cole. Rosey also brings mouth, he knows how to irritate people and get under their skin but that doesn't replace a pure power forward. So to compare the two is like comparing an apple to an orange, even though they are both fruits!! lol

I don't agree with your assessment, he would be worth a longer deal with a NTC for a reduced $$$. The lower dollar amount the easier they are to move.

Lower dollar contracts can be easier to move but not with a NTC, lol. Doesnt matter what the dollar amount of the contract is if he's not going to wave it. Nic Wallin's contract is very reasonable for a 4th pairing stay at home dman and he was sought after by other teams over the last couple of years at the trade deadline but, he wouldnt wave the NTC because that was his choice.

Lower dollar contracts can be easier to move but not with a NTC, lol. Doesnt matter what the dollar amount of the contract is if he's not going to wave it. Nic Wallin's contract is very reasonable for a 4th pairing stay at home dman and he was sought after by other teams over the last couple of years at the trade deadline but, he wouldnt wave the NTC because that was his choice.

his situation was unique, he was ready to go back to Sweden and that was where he really wanted to be. JR wanted him back and enticed him to sign with the NTC so JR did himself in on that situation.

his situation was unique, he was ready to go back to Sweden and that was where he really wanted to be. JR wanted him back and enticed him to sign with the NTC so JR did himself in on that situation.

Why Nic got that NTC still doesnt explain your stance on giving out NTC with a lower contract amount so a player can be easily traded at some point. Not trying to give you a hard time but that statement contradicts itself.

Why Nic got that NTC still doesn't explain your stance on giving out NTC with a lower contract amount so a player can be easily traded at some point. Not trying to give you a hard time but that statement contradicts itself.

good point.

I agree with Hag65, something wasnt right with him during the playoffs whether it was just wear and tear, a significant injury or mental fatigue from a long arduous season. The physical brand of hockey he plays will definitely take a toll through his career but to say his play is heading downhill fast at 30 years old is silly.

Cole's utter inability to produce in the playoffs goes back well before this year. He was something like 0-20 going INTO this playoff season. Cole is worth adding if he will take between 2-3rd line money for say 2 years. Cole does have bigger upside potential than most of our 3rd liners, I'm just less and less sure he will ever realize it. Especially in the playoffs where it matters most. NTC? I wouldn't. Those things have not worked out too well for us so far.