The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

TFP is reporting JR is looking for another forward.
A scoring wing for Staal is what many here think we need. Not sure that is what we would get.  But our weakness is scoring right now so if I'm GM I'm looking for a winger that can put the puck in the net.

TFP is reporting JR is looking for another forward.

Do you have a link, I can't find it anywhere?

[quote name='TSA wrote:

cane-addict-1']TFP is reporting JR is looking for another forward.

Do you have a link, I can't find it anywhere?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car091025.html

It comes from the Ottawa Sun

NEED FOR SPEED

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is disappointed with the club'sstart and the talk is he's looking to make changes. Rutherford wouldlike to add speed up front because the 'Canes are having a difficulttime keeping up.

Thanks, interesting that it comes from the Ottawa Sun. 

Oh boy, no to Jason Blake.  We dont need more 35+ vets with high $ contracts.

Thanks, interesting that it comes from the Ottawa Sun. 

Oh boy, no to Jason Blake.  We dont need more 35+ vets with high $ contracts.

Another 35+ vet and the team will get a special senior discount at Tim Hortons.   Our need is speed, energy and somebody who can

score.  I don't see the $ for a first line wing so maybe a second or third line wing. Unless of course we are looking at trading several of our players and or prospects in return for a big time winger. That isn't our usual style.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

TSA']Thanks, interesting that it comes from the Ottawa Sun. 

Oh boy, no to Jason Blake.  We
dont need more 35+ vets
with high $ contracts.

Another 35+ vet and the team will get a special senior discount at Tim Hortons.   Our need is speed, energy and somebody who can

score.  I don't see the $ for a first line wing so maybe a second or third line wing. Unless of course we are looking at trading several of our players and or prospects in return for a big time winger. That isn't our usual style.

Agree. If JR is looking for a winger and you want to second guess him, I think you'd have to look at which of our forwards he would likely part with then look at his salary and see whats available out there. I think JR most likely will try another Ladd/Ruutu type trade involving similar skill, salary and probably age, unless JR is willing to add a prospect or depth player to get a younger winger.

[quote name='krad wrote:

OBXer wrote:

TSA']Thanks, interesting that it comes from the Ottawa Sun. 

Oh boy, no to Jason Blake.  We
dont need more 35+ vets
with high $ contracts.

Agree. If JR is looking for a winger and you want to second guess him, I think you'd have to look at which of our forwards he would likely part with then look at his salary and see whats available out there. I think JR most likely will try another Ladd/Ruutu type trade involving similar skill, salary and probably age, unless JR is willing to add a prospect or depth player to get a younger winger.One for one trade is more than likely as you outline but I have a feeling we just might add a prospect or depth player for a younger winger.  I guess playing GM is all about second guessing but I'm happy this is JR's decision and not mine.

Who,at this point, is tradable? If I were a GM from another team ,the only guys I would want would be Staal or Cam. The other guys are either too old , or not contrbuting. I sure hope JR dosen't give up the future for a short term fix.  

Cam and Staal have long term contracts. I am sure there are some GMs out there who are also looking for a short time fix which means any of our UFA really.

Who,at this point, is tradable? If I were a GM from another team ,the only guys I would want would be Staal or Cam. The other guys are either too old , or not contrbuting. I sure hope JR dosen't give up the future for a short term fix.  
I would rather see the future be now rather than give up prospects.

JR is known for trading a skilled yet under performing player for one from another team.  Its an even swap where a change of scenery and coaching might be all that is needed for both players get things going.  Its worked more times than not here.

Staal and C. Ward wouldn't be traded.  The fans would riot. 

Other teams would probably be more interested in guys like Whitney, Cullen, and Corvo (productive players with expiring contracts).  I'd hate to lose any of these guys, but you have to give to get and maybe also a goalie prospect like Murphy would be enticing, but goalie prospects aren't in as high of a demand for some reason.  It would probably take a couple of the vets and a prospect/pick to make a trade to get a top notch winger.

Can anyone say Justin Williams?

LA would be stupid to give him up now.  He's en fuego playing with Kopitar and they're set to have a big year together. Although I think Williams may be out right now.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

DJHARLEY']Can anyone say Justin Williams?

LA would be stupid to give him up now.  He's en fuego playing with Kopitar and they're set to have a big year together. Although I think Williams may be out right now.I've said it before, I'll say it again....Alex Frolov. The guy would be perfect for this team, and he's underacheiving! I just think he needs a change of scenery, and a new voice screaming at him in the locker room.. he seems to work well when being scolded or something of that nature.

I've said it before, I'll say it again....Alex Frolov. The guy would be perfect for this team
because
he's underacheiving! 

fixed that for you lol

[quote name='TSA wrote:

DJHARLEY']Can anyone say Justin Williams?

LA would be stupid to give him up now.  He's en fuego playing with Kopitar and they're set to have a big year together. Although I think Williams may be out right now.Williams is injured. TSA as the pm system is not working, how do I get rid of the delete / edit icons on my posts???embarassed.gifembarassed.gif

[quote name='krad wrote:

shauniac79']
I've said it before, I'll say it again....Alex Frolov. The guy would be perfect for this team
because
he's underacheiving! 

fixed that for you lol

LOL!!! Thanks Krad!!! Now, thats a perfect fit!!

If I were GM today....

I'd get on the horn to Albany and tell Jeff to put Sutter, Bowman, and Boychuk on a plane headed to Colorado for Friday night's game.  I'd sit 3 Canes and two of them would not be Yelle and Kostopolous.  I'd do this for Friday and Saturday's games.  Light a little fire.  Tick a couple of guys off.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a couple of guys who aren't performing and send a message.  Let the yutes get a taste.

It's too early to throw anybody under the bus or hit the panic button (keep an eye on it though) but a message needs to be sent to the team.

We got Sutter here.  Now get the other two for the next game.  Anything would be better than this.

One of the biggest issues I have with this team, and have had since the SC season, is that we have no real identity. This team has nothing to go back to when things aren't working. Take the Blues for instance; they are a physical and defensive team. When things go wrong for them, they go back to the defensive basics and at the very least give themselves a chance to right the ship.

What in the bloody hell do we have to go back to in order to right the ship? Nothing. We're not an offensive team, yet we're not really super defensive either (although Maurice tries...Lord knows he tries). What we are instead is this team stuck in the middle, and not surprisingly when things go wrong we don't have anything to go back to, but rather everything starts falling apart. I really do wonder if this is the reason that change just doesn't seem to happen quickly around here. It's like we've got nothing to change. We have two star players, a solid supporting cast, but no system to fully combine these things into a coherent force that consistently wins on the ice. Honest to God, I'm sitting here wondering how on earth this team is going to change things and start winning when there's nothing to go back to and focus on. We have the same set of players basically that we had last year when we went to the ECF, yet is there a soul around here that sees us now getting back to that level? It's like two different worlds.

So, on Saturday, I guess the same set of players will come out and "try" harder or whatever, and we'll all see what happens. Honestly that's what I see us as now...a team that sees what happens when they step out on the ice. We don't have a plan, or a system to go off of. We just go out there and try to score some goals, and play from shift to shift. No wonder these teams with identities beat us, and beat us badly. Again, what exactly are the 2009-2010 Carolina Hurricanes?

Off my soapbox now. On to Saturday to see if anything has "changed".

One of the biggest issues I have with this team, and have had since the SC season, is that we have no real identity. This team has nothing to go back to when things aren't working. Take the Blues for instance; they are a physical and defensive team. When things go wrong for them, they go back to the defensive basics and at the very least give themselves a chance to right the ship.

What in the bloody hell do we have to go back to in order to right the ship? Nothing. We're not an offensive team, yet we're not really super defensive either (although Maurice tries...Lord knows he tries). What we are instead is this team stuck in the middle, and not surprisingly when things go wrong we don't have anything to go back to, but rather everything starts falling apart. I really do wonder if this is the reason that change just doesn't seem to happen quickly around here. It's like we've got nothing to change. We have two star players, a solid supporting cast, but no system to fully combine these things into a coherent force that consistently wins on the ice. Honest to God, I'm sitting here wondering how on earth this team is going to change things and start winning when there's nothing to go back to and focus on. We have the same set of players basically that we had last year when we went to the ECF, yet is there a soul around here that sees us now getting back to that level? It's like two different worlds.

So, on Saturday, I guess the same set of players will come out and "try" harder or whatever, and we'll all see what happens. Honestly that's what I see us as now...a team that sees what happens when they step out on the ice. We don't have a plan, or a system to go off of. We just go out there and try to score some goals, and play from shift to shift. No wonder these teams with identities beat us, and beat us badly. Again, what exactly are the 2009-2010 Carolina Hurricanes?

Off my soapbox now. On to Saturday to see if anything has "changed".

I am no longer optimistic but just waiting to see how much JR will take.  In '03 he finally got tired of the Mo excuses and made that change.  As much as I hate to admit it, I think that is what it will take with this group of guys.  I think once again he has gotten the team to just tune him out.  Mo is a nice guy but he just isn't a good coach, not the type we need to really shake up this team.  What upsets me most is I saw this same drill in '02 and '03 with the same results.  You can put lipstick on the pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig.

J.R. needs to have a closed door meeting with Brindy, Staal, and Whitney as the team leaders.  He needs to know the "temperature" of the team's attitude on Mo and the straight scoop on what's happening.  That could shed a lot of light on the locker room/coaching situation.

With back to backs this weekend, the end could be near if things don't get turned around, and I mean quickly.  The overchieving in the playoffs lulled us all into a confident mood for the season.  Since it isn't working, I think the future is now, let's see some Rats.  A couple of veterans need to be moved to shake things up and make room on the ice. Waiving Yelle isn't enough.  If the beatdowns are going to continue, I want to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

1ST LINE WINGER? 2ND LINE CENTER? COACH?

TRADE FOR A FUTURE CORE PLAYER (player to build with Staal & C.Ward)?

TRADE UNDER PERFORMING PLAYER(S) FOR UNDER PERFORMING PLAYER(S)?

WHO WOULD YOU TRADE?

WHO WOULD YOU TRADE FOR?

Bad November and here's my plan...

Samsov goes for any 3rd line winger who will shoot the doggone puck instead of dazzle us with puck handilng.

Walker goes in a package deal for a younger version of himself

Brindy is on the block....even for some decent draft picks/prospects or package him with Sergei for that winger (maybe (but a big maybe) a 2nd or 1st liner)

Start playing for next year and beyond...bring up the kids, let them be our 3rd line and we all understand that they will make lots of mistakes and play brilliantly at times learning what it's like to be an NHL player. Hopefully, the have the skin to deal with the ups and downs and they are really ready to go for 2010/2111.