The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Bad November and here's my plan...

Samsov goes for any 3rd line winger who will shoot the doggone puck instead of dazzle us with puck handilng.

Walker goes in a package deal for a younger version of himself

Brindy is on the block....even for some decent draft picks/prospects or package him with Sergei for that winger (maybe (but a big maybe) a 2nd or 1st liner)

Start playing for next year and beyond...bring up the kids, let them be our 3rd line and we all understand that they will make lots of mistakes and play brilliantly at times learning what it's like to be an NHL player. Hopefully, the have the skin to deal with the ups and downs and they are really ready to go for 2010/2111.

I'm with you on that trip. Get the young guns to play in the NHL and to be ready for next season, Bowman, Sutter and Boychuk would be a promising kids line. Also, use one or two of our young defensemen at least for a couple of games here and there, and sit out some of our old ones (Ward, Wallin).

Maybe, we could even trade some of our veteran Forwards/Ds for a draft pick, or even a young prospect.

In fact, Walker has a NTC, but his contract is up ending after this season anyway. If we could keep him on that point for a little less money, I think it would be a good thing to have him as a hard working veteran for some more years. If not...well, there are many blue colored guys out there looking for contracts every year.

If we continue to play this way and Walker continues to have a decent season, I think we can trade him and he will waive his NTC simply because it is for part of a season. Perhaps the same could be true for Wallin. He seems to be more of a Cane for Life than Walker, but based on our record its a possibility. If guys nearing the end of their career get the chance to play for a contender, they will do just about anything.

I hate trading guys like Walker/Wallin who have so much character and who love this franchise, but we need to get younger. Our age is showing and is canceling out our supposed depth very quickly. Cullen and Whitney are great also, but both are being expected to put up 1st line numbers, and Cullen has to be a 2nd line center right now if Staal ever gets back to scoring. I think they are our 2 most prized trade assets, even though my hope for this year would've been to have a great year, bring up the kids and sign back these 2 to some short term contracts, but that hasn't played out too well.................

If I'm GM the first thing I do is have a stiff drink.  The second thing I do is ask myself if I stick to the plan and work to get this team to the playoffs and use the Rats in Albany to rebuild the team next year. The third thing I do is evaluate if I still believe this Canes team will be better when Cole, Ruutu and Gleason return. Then I identify the most pressing weakness and how to fix it.

If I'm GM, I think the problem is with 2nd and 3rd line scoring.  On the first line Whitney will be fine and once Staal gets Cole or Ruutu back on his wing it should help him find open ice. Right now opposing teams can Stop Staal and stop the Canes.

I could trade Sammy and get a decent return but Samsonov-Jokinen- Ruutu looked pretty good before the suspension and I think they can skate second line. Of course this is a coaches decision but it's on my mind.

Do I skate Sutter or Cullen third line center . MO likes Sutter and so do I .  I drop LaRose down on the Sutter line and either bring Boychuk up or go out and get a energy guy who can score.

I know the prevailing thought is Brindy isn't being paid to skate 4th line minutes but at his age,  less ice = better play. I use Brindy to center fourth line, play the PK, sometimes PP and jump in when needed to spark another line. Kostopoulos and Walker can handle the wings and both can jump up a line if needed.

That leaves me Cullen and Yelle for a trade although Sammy or LaRose would be considered if the deal felt right.  On the Blue Line Corvo would bring the best return from those I would consider trading but I'd have to replace him so that would leave me with A-Ward, Alberts and Harrison to float as a trade.  A-Ward if the return was good and I thought a Rat could move up if needed . Alberts  or Harrison would have to be coupled with another player to get the wing I'm after. Of course prospects could sweeten the pot but I'm not sure I want to give away the future prospects just yet.

Anyway if I'm GM that's what I'm thinking and I probable need another stiff drink.

If I'm GM the first thing I do is have a stiff drink.  The second thing I do is ask myself if I stick to the plan and work to get this team to the playoffs and use the Rats in Albany to rebuild the team next year. The third thing I do is evaluate if I still believe this Canes team will be better when Cole, Ruutu and Gleason return. Then I identify the most pressing weakness and how to fix it.

If I'm GM, I think the problem is with 2nd and 3rd line scoring.  On the first line Whitney will be fine and once Staal gets Cole or Ruutu back on his wing it should help him find open ice. Right now opposing teams can Stop Staal and stop the Canes.

I could trade Sammy and get a decent return but Samsonov-Jokinen- Ruutu looked pretty good before the suspension and I think they can skate second line. Of course this is a coaches decision but it's on my mind.

Do I skate Sutter or Cullen third line center . MO likes Sutter and so do I .  I drop LaRose down on the Sutter line and either bring Boychuk up or go out and get a energy guy who can score.

I know the prevailing thought is Brindy isn't being paid to skate 4th line minutes but at his age,  less ice = better play. I use Brindy to center fourth line, play the PK, sometimes PP and jump in when needed to spark another line. Kostopoulos and Walker can handle the wings and both can jump up a line if needed.

That leaves me Cullen and Yelle for a trade although Sammy or LaRose would be considered if the deal felt right.  On the Blue Line Corvo would bring the best return from those I would consider trading but I'd have to replace him so that would leave me with A-Ward, Alberts and Harrison to float as a trade.  A-Ward if the return was good and I thought a Rat could move up if needed . Alberts  and Harrison would have to be coupled with another player to get the wing I'm after. Of course prospects could sweeten the pot but I'm not sure I want to give away the future prospects just yet.

Anyway if I'm GM that's what I'm thinking and I probable need another stiff drink.

I like the proposed setup for the forwards. We're obviously trying to move Yelle and Brindy does so much better with less ice time. As you pointed out, that gives us a chance to bring up another Rat to inject some energy into the team. Also makes us younger and faster, so that helps too.

Not sure about the situation with the D. Just don't have too many really reliable guys back there to have any "extra" to trade. Maybe packaging one of the lower-end guys with other trade options (Cullen, Yelle, etc) might give us a little better return. Not sure what we'd go after, but I trust JR would know what he's doing.

Thinking back...A Ward and Alberts are not upgrades, or even solid replacements, for Babchuck and Seidenberg. Seidenberg especially could do a little bit of everything. A Ward and Alberts are too defensive to help out up front.

Ah, but we all were so excited to have them, me included. tsk tsk

There were a couple of fans that weren't happen with the way that situation played out. I know because I am one that thought we should've paid Babchuk the money that he deserved. I believe the average salary for the defensemen ahead of and behind Babchuk in goals last season was around $4 million, yet Rutherford offered Babchuk just over $1 million. Could anyone in this world say they wouldn't be offended to be offered a quarter of what they are realistically worth? Rutherford made it pretty clear that he'll sacrifice on-ice success and the future of this franchise for the sake of proving his point.

There were a couple of fans that weren't happen with the way that situation played out. I know because I am one that thought we should've paid Babchuk the money that he deserved. I believe the average salary for the defensemen ahead of and behind Babchuk in goals last season was around $4 million, yet Rutherford offered Babchuk just over $1 million. Could anyone in this world say they wouldn't be offended to be offered a quarter of what they are realistically worth? Rutherford made it pretty clear that he'll sacrifice on-ice success and the future of this franchise for the sake of proving his point.
do we really need to go there again?  that topic has been beat to death not once but three times.  it is done so it is time to move past that and see what we can do with what we have.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

Staal-to-Frolov']There were a couple of fans that weren't happen with the way that situation played out. I know because I am one that thought we should've paid Babchuk the money that he deserved. I believe the average salary for the defensemen ahead of and behind Babchuk in goals last season was around $4 million, yet Rutherford offered Babchuk just over $1 million. Could anyone in this world say they wouldn't be offended to be offered a quarter of what they are realistically worth? Rutherford made it pretty clear that he'll sacrifice on-ice success and the future of this franchise for the sake of proving his point.

do we really need to go there again?  that topic has been beat to death not once but three times.  it is done so it is time to move past that and see what we can do with what we have.

We do have a whole wing of this forum devoted to the Babchuk saga.  I didn't like it either, but it is water under the bridge.

As far as changes that need to be made, the defensemen don't concern me nearly as much as the forwards. Remember, we've been one D-man down about every game. You look to your forwards for most of the scoring and they aren't getting it done.  To beat another dead horse (yes, I like my dead horse better than yours) we still need to figure out the 1st line winger deal.  I think the problem with our so called "depth" is that we are deep with players playing one line above their ability or compete level.  I'd rather trade a couple of those depth guys for one elite winger and bring up a Rat to round out the roster.  It's easier to cover for a deficiency on the 3rd line than on the 1st.

I'd love to see Rutherford make that major trade to acquire a first-line forward, but I don't think he'll do it. I expect that he'll make some smaller moves to clear salary for the offseason and then attempt to sign a first-line forward. Whether it's through a trade or through free agency, Alexander Frolov appears to be "the guy" that Rutherford wants.

One move I would personally like to see made is Samsonov waived and Boychuk called up to fill his spot in the line-up, and I'm one of the people that wanted Rutherford to take his time with prospects like Bowman, Boychuk, and Sutter.  However, I think it's time to make a move like this based off of what I've seen out of Samsonov this season and what Boychuk has done thus far in the AHL.

The problem with trying to play GM is that we are currently experiencing total team failure.

We are currently 28th of 30 in goals per game. O.K., so we are defensive-minded, playing old time Mo hockey keeping the goals against down...no.

We are currently 29th of 30 teams in goals allowed per game. We are actually worse defensively than we are offensively.

Early on Cam was keeping things close, but even Cam is starting to slip and clearly, the method of developing your back-up by never playing him hasn't worked out.

The most glaring under achiever is clearly Staal. On this team he is the only bonafide All Star we currently have (Wardo on his game excepted). Our stud offense producer has a whopping 5 points in 12 games including 2 assists. For the most part, as Staal goes the Canes offense goes. The evidence of that is pretty clear right now, and in the past.

Thus the key to everything is finding a way to get Staal going. Once he starts going the rest of the team will follow. (If he doesn't or they don't there is no quick fix and we should start thinking about who the top 3 draft picks might be).

Now I have a wacky conspiracy theory that might be hog-wash, but I keep wondering about it. Somehow in some way, and I don't know why or how, Brind'Amour's presence as dominant alpha-male seems to inhibit Staal. OK, I may be crazy here, but since the cup (an obvious exception that predates my theory) every time this team has gone into a funk, the injury or demoting of Brind'Amour has led to a resurgence of Staal with the team following.

Two years ago the team was in a major funk that ultimately led to a big trade. No change. Then Brind'Amour goes down with the knee injruy. The season should have been over right then. But instantly the team started playing like an elite team with a bunch of role players following a resurgent Staal (remember Walker and the Rats?). We then went on an unholy tear and were it not for Washington going on a record-setting even better tear, or a weird loss to Florida in the last game, we would have made the playoffs coming from way back.

Coincidence? At that point, quite possibly. But then, the next year Brindy goes about carving out LAST place in the entire NHL for plus/minus . Yes is a misleading stat, but not if a two time Selke winner is dead last out of over 600 players. Yet he remains on the second line, and remains captain. I'm telling you this had an effect on the team. Then, management finally made a move and sent Brindy home to rest and demoted him to the third line. INSTANTLY the team beats SanJose on the road and goes on another unholy tear that doesn't end until losing to the eventual cup winners in the conference finals. Again, Staal sees a resurgence and along with Ward leads the charge. Yes, Cole helped, yes maybe Mo's system finally showed results, but the timing of the Brind'Amour move was astoundingly tight with the team surging before the Cole deal. I mean it was the next game after Brindy went home. Second time and under a different coach.

This team is failing across the board and especially Staal. We have already changed coaches. Heck this coach took us to the conference finals with a 5th place team for crying out loud. Just maybe the team is actually failing to respond to the captain. I know this idea is unsettling. I know that Brind'Amour will be in the Hall of Fame and played a HUGE role in our Cup victory. Two time Selke winner, and all around best leader ever, and huge fan favorite (ironically including this fan). But this is why it is so hard to see it. No one wants to admit it, least of all Brind'Amour himself.

To be clear on three things. One: I love what Brind'Amour has done for this team. The Selke-Brindy was the best two way player on that team (duh, in the league). He will be in the Hall. Two: he is not playing as badly this year. Three: I appreciate that he seems to be willing to play whatever role the team asks of him.

Still, he is the worst forward on the team in plus/minus at -7, loses most battles along the boards, and is not playing well enough to overcome the effect I am describing.

So, if the GM can find a way to package picks, second liners, anything, for a bonafide top winger, and find a way to move Brind'Amour somehow in a way that is respectful, then make Staal the captain, this team will bounce back with a furry. But for JR to actually do that would be very difficult, maybe impossible. I am pretty sure that if it could be done, it would work.

Picking up a top winger, making Staal the captain and putting Brindy on the 4th line might work also, but is this really that much better for Brindy than a trade?

Maybe the team turns it around with Ruutu and Cole back. Maybe one or two smaller moves will work. I hope so, but I doubt it. Baring the big move I see us improving some (we are simply not this bad) but ultimately riding this thing down into a rebuilding year. Once we clearly royally stink out loud long enough JR will have cover to move Brind'Amour in the rebuilding mode. We will get a good to great draft pick, clear salary by bringing up Boychuk/Bowman, and use the $ for a top winger. In many ways that is not altogether bad in the long run, but it would not be fun this year.

Luckily JR is much smarter than me. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it, unless of course I am wrong.

I  totally agree about the Staal./ Brindy captain situation. Staal will always be a bit imtimidated by Capt Brindy (who wouldn't) The sooner Staal is made Capt, the sooner he steps up, takes responsibility for HIS team and plays like the great talented player we all know he is.

Are we still paying Lavi or was it a "cash buyout"?

Are we simply stuck with Mo for the duration?

The Leafs were still paying him last year, right?

I think once a coach gets let go the team has to keep paying him until the contract expires or he gets hired by someone else. So no the Leafs aren't paying him, we are, but if we let him go, then we pay him AND a new coach (are we still paying Lavi too?)

With our finances tight that may not be the best route. But with the ENTIRE TEAM playing horrible I have to think it is the coach. After a month of just NOT understanding what is wrong thats the only conclusion I can come up with. I think Lavi got fired the first week of December, but that was when we were still around .500 (could be wrong). I think he could let Mo go much sooner since our record is so bad right now that if we wait until December, we will have NO chance of making the playoffs. When JR fired Lavi early in the season he did it so that we would still have a chance at the playoffs... if we want that to happen, SOMETHING DRASTIC is going to have to happen ASAFP.

Well this quote speaks volumes:

"I think we're all taken aback, and I think that's part of it," Maurice said. "I think that things that you've seen work well in the past haven't worked well."

Translation: YOUR complete system is not working. You have no clue what to do and YOU lost this team.

Coach doesn't have a clue what is wrong...check

Players aren't playing up to their talent level...check

Players don't have a clue what is wrong...check

Players bickering on the ice...check (Ward and Joni)

Fans are ready to gather up the torches and pitchforks...check

All the pieces are in place J.R., what are you waiting for?  How about a courtesy flush?

CanesCountry.com is reporting that scouts from a Western team were rumored to be at the game yesterday, evaluating Larose. Also saw online that Harrison has been waived.... Why waive a guy who has a 2 way contract and apparently is a better option than the guys we have in Albany (since he is playing here and they are not)? Could it be because he has played a certain number of games with us so far this season as opposed to the AHL? If this is true it is confusing to me.

Now I have a wacky conspiracy theory that might be hog-wash, but I keep wondering about it. Somehow in some way, and I don't know why or how, Brind'Amour's presence as dominant alpha-male seems to inhibit Staal. OK, I may be crazy here, but since the cup (an obvious exception that predates my theory) every time this team has gone into a funk, the injury or demoting of Brind'Amour has led to a resurgence of Staal with the team following.

I'm with you Remkin.  I agree that this is creating some of the funk.  Brindy has a NTC, so he won't be going anywhere.  I was hoping that JR and MO could have talked him into retirement after last season. 

Lavi has one more season on his contract with us so if is not hired by any other NHL team then we pay him for the duration.  Thanks to JR giving Mo a three year deal if we can him we will be paying that one too.  Last year was Mo's last year on his Leaf's contract.

Okay I'll point it out again -a Western Conference team is evaluating LaRose right now. Who do we think that could be? Eklund reported we were trying to make a trade with Calgary (Whitney)... perhaps its them? Who could we get?

I really hope we aren't trading Chad.  After he signed his new contract I finally bought one of his jersey's.  He doesn't have the best skills but at least their is a consistent effort from him every night.  I know he misses the net more than he should, but for me, he is one of the few reasons I go to see the Canes.

I think we are just too old.  Too many guys are complacent and there doesn't seem to be any desire to win.  I'm sure they want to win, I mean who doesn't?  It just doesn't seem to me that they are that upset about losing or that they are willing to work harder for a full 60 minutes every night.

I think that JR shouldn't give out any more no trade clauses and after the mess we are in now, I hope he has learned his lesson.

Ths whole team is a mess!  Six times this year, we have given up 2 goals in under 2 minutes.  Six times!  That is not a skill problem, that is a lack of effort/focus problem.

I wish we could bring up the Rats and let them have a shot.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2000, so I have seen the good and bad times, but sadly, I don't see this getting better any time soon.

I really hope we aren't trading Chad.  After he signed his new contract I finally bought one of his jersey's.  He doesn't have the best skills but at least their is a consistent effort from him every night.  I know he misses the net more than he should, but for me, he is one of the few reasons I go to see the Canes.

I think we are just too old.  Too many guys are complacent and there doesn't seem to be any desire to win.  I'm sure they want to win, I mean who doesn't?  It just doesn't seem to me that they are that upset about losing or that they are willing to work harder for a full 60 minutes every night.

I think that JR shouldn't give out any more no trade clauses and after the mess we are in now, I hope he has learned his lesson.

Ths whole team is a mess!  Six times this year, we have given up 2 goals in under 2 minutes.  Six times!  That is not a skill problem, that is a lack of effort/focus problem.

I wish we could bring up the Rats and let them have a shot.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2000, so I have seen the good and bad times, but sadly, I don't see this getting better any time soon.

Chad hasn't done particularly well this season, no spark.  Don't know if it is the Big Contract or spending too much time working out with Brindy.  Use to be night in and night out you could always count on him and Walker bringing the spark but not this season.  Walker is playing solo.

Mo's got to go. He was clueless in Toronto now he is clueless in Raleigh. I also agree what Brindy needs to step down as C and retire during the olympic break if we can last that long. At this point nothing ventured nothing gained. Yesterdays tribute to Whitney would be a nice send off to another team and he can take La Rose and Sammy with him.