The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Now I have a wacky conspiracy theory that might be hog-wash, but I keep wondering about it. Somehow in some way, and I don't know why or how, Brind'Amour's presence as dominant alpha-male seems to inhibit Staal. OK, I may be crazy here, but since the cup (an obvious exception that predates my theory) every time this team has gone into a funk, the injury or demoting of Brind'Amour has led to a resurgence of Staal with the team following.

Hold on now Remmy! That is my conspiracy theory! Okay fine I will share it with you but I've been saying for 3 years that Brind'Amour is over-rated and has zero chemistry with Staal.

We have an old team. Last year we had an old team. I kept saying over and over that Brind'Amour was the root of our problems.  No disrespect to Brindy and I know he isn't doing it intentionally.  In fact I feel Brindy without a doubt would play 10x better with the right team.  I'm certain he has at least 3 solid years left but he won't see that if he stays here.   Its unfortunate but our team has taken a step in a different direction but we keep veering off track.  We know its there and have seen it when injury has kept him off the ice.  We are holding talented players back (old and young) and need to mix things up.  Let's give hugs, shed some tears and move in the direction that is better for everyone.    

For those wanting Mo fired, don't keep getting your hopes up cause it ain't happening? JR is not going to give up on him this early, especailly after just giving him a 3 year contract. PK will not pay two coaches to sit at home. Not to mention, JR will probably have a heart attack having to fire his best friend again. We are stuck with Mo. But I do ask, if you get rid of Mo what is your plan as replacement. JR would likely have to go inside due to the money, but does anyone think Francis, who can't get a PP working, is ready? I don't think Rowe is quite ready yet. Do you bring in Daniels?

I do agree that Brind'Amour is a big problem. I have nicknamed him 'Anchor' because he is bringing this team down. I'm frankly tired of him saying "we played good, just didn't get the bounces." If he's telling his team they played good, its no wonder they still suck cause they think they played good. You create your bounces by working hard, something this team isn't doing. But who is going to step on Brind'Amour's shoes and tell him he ain't getting the job done. We need to forget about hurting feelings, and stash Brind'Amour in the front office. I respect Brind'Amour for all he's done for this team and community, but its time to step down and I'd respect him alot more if he admitted and stepped down himself.

In order to make the playoffs, we'll need approx 95 points. That means we have to 44-25 in the remaining games. Not gonna happen. Its going to be hard trading guys for picks/prospects so early in the season, but if we can do it, we should pull the trigger. And that goes for anyone not named (Staal, C.Ward, Pitkanen, and Gleason). I left off Sutter/Boychuk/Bowman cause those are for sure here next year if not sooner if we can get rid of this dead weight.

I think it's Rowe. Mainly due to the experience he has as head coach of both Staal and Ward back in '04-'05. That "valuable experience" that we all hear about from Tripp Tracy every week was gained under the guidance of Rowe in Lowell. I would expect that those two would accept him as the next head coach, and with those two on board the rest of the locker room SHOULD follow. Those who don't, are the guys the team would be better off without.

Seems to me trying to unload these older players as some suggest at the first of November is problematic.  If JR finally feels the season is lost he likely brings up some Rats until the trade deadline, then pulls the trigger. Just my opinion, but I'm always wrong anyway.

for the whitney trade according to Ek, kings are interested.

Does the current top line of Williams-Kopitar-Smyth have a talented playmaker? I do not know enough of these thre plaers, other than williams is not a playmaker.

If so, trade for williams. We know him, and he is on an offensive craze right now, which might kickstart our offensive players. And get rid of some other players in the process who have done little so far. (Yelle, Conboy, etc.)

If we want to make a trade I say we have to look at teams that are tanking, not living up to expectations, or are in a cap crunch. Here's some thoughts-

-Kings: Its rumoured that Frolov could be trade bait. He is young and could provide much needed scoring but the question remains, what would we have to give up? He makes 2.9 For the remainder of the season then he is an  unrestricted free agent. The Kings have a ton of cap space available and could make some significant moves if they are in the playoff race later in the season.

-Panthers: The Ottawa Sun reports the Panthers are trying to get rid of Horton bc he isnt producing this season and also that he doesnt want to play there anymore a la Jay Bouwmeester. Makes 4 mil for the next 3 years. Would be a great addition if something could be worked out... just a thought here-  Seidenberg said he wanted to play here but couldnt get anything worked out. We know JR likes to recycle players and after Seidenberg left this team tanked (coincidence or not I'm not sure). Both teams are tanking right now so I think the likelihood of trading within the division is increased. Seidenberg is a known entity and could provide (a little) much needed scoring help. He makes 2.25.

-Wild: Looking for a scoring forward. Whitney could end up here perhaps later but not sure what they would offer in return since we are also looking for scoring.

-Flames: Ek keeps reporting the Flames want Ray Whitney. Perhaps we could get a legit center in Olli Jokinen (another fin!) but we would have to take on his 5.25 mil salary. The fans dont seem to happy with his performance there so perhaps some new scenery could help get him to his 30 goal/year norm. Perhaps a Cullen and Whitney for Jokinen could even out the salary?

-Tampa Bay: Lets face it, theyre always looking to make trades. We showed last season that trades within a division can happen (Jokinen for Brookbank and Melichar). Tanguay signed a reasonable 1 year contract for 2.5  in an attempt to prove himself. Not producing in Tampa but could be a (risky) cheap forward.

-Rangers: Rumor is they are trying to trade Chris Higgins and his 2.25 mil salary since he isnt on pace for his usual 20 or so goals per year. He is young at 26 and perhaps a change of environment would do him good.

-Chicago: Looking to free up cap space for next season so that they can resign their young talent next season. Sharp  and Versteeg have been suggested as possible trade bait. They currently make 3.9 and 3.06 respectively and are locked up at that price for 2 more years. Perhaps we could trade a guy like Larose, Jokinen, or Cullen plus some prospects etc for one of those two. This frees up cap space for Chicago and locks us up with young, reasonably price talent. Sharp in particular would be a great catch.

for the whitney trade according to Ek, kings are interested.

Does the current top line of Williams-Kopitar-Smyth have a talented playmaker? I do not know enough of these thre plaers, other than williams is not a playmaker.

If so, trade for williams. We know him, and he is on an offensive craze right now, which might kickstart our offensive players. And get rid of some other players in the process who have done little so far. (Yelle, Conboy, etc.)

No way do they mess with that line right now. Smyth is playing great and Kopitar is the current point leader in the NHL. If we could get Williams back though it might be a good idea. He has 4 goals in 9 games or so.

If we want to make a trade I say we have to look at teams that are tanking, not living up to expectations, or are in a cap crunch. Here's some thoughts-

-Kings: Its rumoured that Frolov could be trade bait. He is young and could provide much needed scoring but the question remains, what would we have to give up? He makes 2.9 For the remainder of the season then he is an  unrestricted free agent. The Kings have a ton of cap space available and could make some significant moves if they are in the playoff race later in the season.

-Panthers: The Ottawa Sun reports the Panthers are trying to get rid of Horton bc he isnt producing this season and also that he doesnt want to play there anymore a la Jay Bouwmeester. Makes 4 mil for the next 3 years. Would be a great addition if something could be worked out... just a thought here-  Seidenberg said he wanted to play here but couldnt get anything worked out. We know JR likes to recycle players and after Seidenberg left this team tanked (coincidence or not I'm not sure). Both teams are tanking right now so I think the likelihood of trading within the division is increased. Seidenberg is a known entity and could provide (a little) much needed scoring help. He makes 2.25.

-Wild: Looking for a scoring forward. Whitney could end up here perhaps later but not sure what they would offer in return since we are also looking for scoring.

-Flames: Ek keeps reporting the Flames want Ray Whitney. Perhaps we could get a legit center in Olli Jokinen (another fin!) but we would have to take on his 5.25 mil salary. The fans dont seem to happy with his performance there so perhaps some new scenery could help get him to his 30 goal/year norm. Perhaps a Cullen and Whitney for Jokinen could even out the salary?

-Tampa Bay: Lets face it, theyre always looking to make trades. We showed last season that trades within a division can happen (Jokinen for Brookbank and Melichar). Tanguay signed a reasonable 1 year contract for 2.5  in an attempt to prove himself. Not producing in Tampa but could be a (risky) cheap forward.

-Rangers: Rumor is they are trying to trade Chris Higgins and his 2.25 mil salary since he isnt on pace for his usual 20 or so goals per year. He is young at 26 and perhaps a change of environment would do him good.

-Chicago: Looking to free up cap space for next season so that they can resign their young talent next season. Sharp  and Versteeg have been suggested as possible trade bait. They currently make 3.9 and 3.06 respectively and are locked up at that price for 2 more years. Perhaps we could trade a guy like Larose, Jokinen, or Cullen plus some prospects etc for one of those two. This frees up cap space for Chicago and locks us up with young, reasonably price talent. Sharp in particular would be a great catch.

That is a great post. Very interesting ideas. Frolov or Horton sound good. JR seemed to have passed on Tanguay, don't know if he is kind of Cole-like in that injuries have severely curtailed him, but he sure used to produce. Need that 1st line winger. Need to demote Brind'Amour. 

I want to get James van Riemsdyk from philly, he is a very promising rookie who has already shown that he is going to be a very promising playmaker who I htink owuld play well with Sutter

I want to get James van Riemsdyk from philly, he is a very promising rookie who has already shown that he is going to be a very promising playmaker who I htink owuld play well with Sutter
Would be nice but will never happen.

Yeah its incredibly unlikely, but if rutherfor worked he may find a deal....  

I've been looking and everyone is disagreeing over who is market able for a trade and I want everyone to be honest the only players I think that would even be considered for a trade are:

Cullen: good consistant player who is finding a scoring touch

Whitney: great playmaker and energy guy, does well in the clutch situations(Note he does have a NTC)

Staal: doesnt matter why we wont trade him

Ward: same as Staal

Sutter, Bowman, Boychuk: All promising prospects

Ruutu: Tough guy with a scoring touch

I really want to know what everyone else thinks because I dont think this is much of a profitable trade list to other teams...

umm..we have not even hit the 15 game mark yet. Ill probably get yelled at but dont you think its a little early? If every team that had a crappy start blew the season up..then

A We would not have made the playoffs

B Pittsburgh would not have won the Cup

umm..we have not even hit the 15 game mark yet. Ill probably get yelled at but dont you think its a little early? If every team that had a crappy start blew the season up..then

A We would not have made the playoffs

B Pittsburgh would not have won the Cup

On a certain time, I would agree with you, but rigth now, things are pretty much different:

This team, as it is right now, isn't gonna exist very long from now anyway. As JR said some days ago, we will be on a slight rebuilding process anyway, as old players will definetly leave (Whitney, Walker, Brindy, Wallin, A.Ward...), whether it's a trade or through reitrement, and young promising prospects will take their spots.

As it's goin right now, why not take this rebuilding step right here, right now? It can't get any worse than it is, and than it was throughout last years (at least most of the time).

Basically, I think that's exactly what our actual situation is telling us. And, to add my 2 cents, that's not even a bad thing. All the teams in the NHL came, and will always come again to that point where they have to rebuild and apply to the next generation of hockey players, so why won't we?

As I said on the previous page, I think we should trade for Patrick Sharp of the Blackhawks. We give them Whitney straight up. Their contracts are almost the same except Whitneys expires next season and Sharp's is good for a couple more years. That way they free up cap space to sign Toews and Kane next season. Win-win.

Folks, it is going to be a tough year.  JR either has to do something, right now to make this team competitive this year, or we're going to have to sweat out waiting for the rebuilding time over mid winter, draining off veterans to teams making a push.

The numbers don't look good for playoffs.  For the Canes to have a reasonable chance, they need 95 points (and that is not a guarantee of a playoff birth). 

Their record from here on out has to be something like 40-19-8.  If they were to accomplish that, it would be an incredible rocket ride that would energize everyone.  Even more impressive than the playoff run of last year.  Look at what it did for Washington and their fan base two years ago.

That's gonna be really tough.  I just don't think JR and PK have the will to do what is needed.

People keep looking to Washington of 2 years ago as inspiration. OK. That's fine, they were about where the Canes are now.

But here's what happened in Washington:

1) They won the division, not a wildcard. Why? Because the team aheadof the, the Canes, collapsed with 92 points. This year, Canes have WASin front of them already with 22 points. The division is gone. It isgoing to have to be wildcard, which is at least 95 points, maybe more.

2) Ovechkin. Face the facts. The Canes do not have a play of this caliber.

3) Coaching change. Everything turned around for Washington with the coaching change. Looks like JR/PK won't change coaches.

Just wondering out loud...  GM meeting in Toronto this week.

Hawks were off to a good start, but are faltering.  They are clearly playoff material, but they don't need to start digging holes.  Canes need ANYTHING right now.  Could a winger-center almost even-steven kind of trade happen quickly?  Just to shake things up, ya know. 

(And no, I'm not thinking about Ladd, although that would be beyond funny if it should happen.)

http://www.suntimes.com/s...,CST-SPT-ziehm08.article

I don't see any need to get any roster players in return. Boychuk and Sutter have provided a spark since they've entered the line-up and have helped spark some of the stagnate players around them. I say you deal players like Corvo, Cullen, Walker, Ward, and Whitney for draft picks and/or prospects, promote prospects from within to fill those players' voids, and look to re-tool in the offseason with an abundance of salary room to play with. There isn't any reason to take on additional salary at this point.